ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dowsing

Old 21st November 2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Giz
Philosopher

UK Utilities using magic instead of engineering/Water dowsing

"Ten out of 12 major water suppliers in the UK admitted to using “dowsing” or “divining rods” to detect underground water, a method which has been widely discredited by modern science. The rods were once believed to twitch in the hands of a “diviner” to point to underground reserves, a method which is believed to date back to the 15th century.

The practice is used by engineers working for most of the largest water companies, including Severn Trent, United Utilities and Thames Water."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...er-find-leaks/

Wow.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 06:51 PM   #2
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
"Ten out of 12 major water suppliers in the UK admitted to using “dowsing” or “divining rods” to detect underground water, a method which has been widely discredited by modern science. The rods were once believed to twitch in the hands of a “diviner” to point to underground reserves, a method which is believed to date back to the 15th century.

The practice is used by engineers working for most of the largest water companies, including Severn Trent, United Utilities and Thames Water."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...er-find-leaks/

Wow.
Wow
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 06:58 PM   #3
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Dowsing! Muggles are just so cute to think that something like that would work. Even a first year can do an aquada kedevra spell
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 07:00 PM   #4
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Breaking the shackles of Big Water Well Drilling!

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 07:18 PM   #5
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Not just the UK.
In the US, dowsing for utility locates around construction sites happens quite often. A guy in a hard hat and utility company logo orange safety vest hops out of a truck and starts waving bent welding rods around and spray painting lines on the sidewalk.

I have seen or heard stories of power, water, electric, sewer, gas, communications, even fuel lines in a bulk tank farm dowsed, marked, and signed off.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 07:33 PM   #6
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I had a utility guy come on my property and dowse for an underground water leak. He could not have been more wrong.
Old 21st November 2017, 07:52 PM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

How could or would they continue this practice if they are consistently wrong or no better than chance?
Old 21st November 2017, 07:56 PM   #8
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
How could or would they continue this practice if they are consistently wrong or no better than chance?
They came out to find a leak. One of the guys on the truck tried to dowse it. They actually found the leak by digging, and it was nowhere near where the dowser predicted.
Old 21st November 2017, 07:58 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Did they start where the dowser indicated?
Old 21st November 2017, 08:01 PM   #10
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Symbolism. The Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy. Correlation vs. Causation. Confirmation bias.

Basically all the ways people can be stupid.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 08:18 PM   #11
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Did they start where the dowser indicated?
No. They drew a line from the water cut-off at the street to the house, and started at the house end of that line. There it was. The downer had picked a spot on the other side of the house.

Last edited by John Jones; 21st November 2017 at 08:19 PM.
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 09:21 PM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Any idea why they ignored the dowser?
Old 21st November 2017, 09:24 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Dowsing! Muggles are just so cute to think that something like that would work. Even a first year can do an aquada kedevra spell
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 10:10 PM   #14
Thermal
Master Poster

Wonder if they repair the leaks through telekinesis?

Previously known as MostlyDead. Feeling better now.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 10:20 PM   #15
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

The guy wasn't dowsing in any official capacity. He voluntarily dowsed the site. If they had stated digging based on his dowsing, I would have called the local newspaper.
Old 22nd November 2017, 01:19 AM   #16
dann
Illuminator

Did they use Uri Geller's Crystal Pendulum Dowsin Kit? (since 2006 - and not one single recommendation!)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:02 AM   #17
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
Not just the UK.
In the US, dowsing for utility locates around construction sites happens quite often. A guy in a hard hat and utility company logo orange safety vest hops out of a truck and starts waving bent welding rods around and spray painting lines on the sidewalk.

I have seen or heard stories of power, water, electric, sewer, gas, communications, even fuel lines in a bulk tank farm dowsed, marked, and signed off.

I have used utility locating services countless times, calling them in for various stages of various construction sites. I have never once witnessed them using dousing rods of any sort. Although they have been wrong on occasion, even with their high tech equipment.

The one dousing incident I did see was rather different.

We were digging a deep (20 ft.) building excavation which required a soil nail wall as a temporary retaining wall. For those unfamiliar with the process, this involves digging down in stages, about six feet deep at a time. At each stage long holes about 3" dia. (ranging from 10 to 25 feet or so) are drilled horizontally into the exposed cut, then a length of heavy rebar is inserted into the hole and grouted into place. Finally a skin of heavy welded wire fabric is placed to cover the face of the cut, which is then sprayed with a layer of concrete several inches thick, and large metal plates are slid onto the rebar and held in place with bolts to secure the wire reinforced concrete skin.

At the start of any such installation it is necessary to ensure that the drilling does not damage any immediately adjacent utilities. On one job we knew that there was a 12" water main somewhere close to the reach of the longest rebar pins scheduled for that section of the SN wall.

The utility contractor we were using on that site had installed that water main a couple of years earlier, so we asked them to have it located for us so that we could be sure to miss it.

The foreman who had installed that pipe told us that would be no problem ... and this is when the welding rods came out.

We confirmed that the marks he had painted were not going to be within reach of any of our soil nails.

We managed to drill four holes. The fifth started gushing water, and shut down the water service to several of the university's adjacent multi-story lab buildings. The pipe in question was, it seems, about 8 ft. closer to the excavation than where he had located it.

Matters degenerated quickly from that point.

The water main in question had been turned over to the county water service well before these events.

They wanted to see the documentation for the locating services who had been notified. Only long years of mutual business contact between the county and our utility contractor avoided significant legal action. The contractor bore all the expenses incurred by the incident, which were considerable, and that is beyond the cost of repairing the water line.

The county also made them hire an independent locating service which provided actual physical location in three dimensions of all the remaining utilities, including the rest of the water lines (There were others on other sides of the building footprint), gas, electric, sewer, storm, etc., which were shown on the site utility drawings to be within 15 ft. of the longest possible soil nail. This was a non-trivial form of locating which involves using a high pressure air drill that can drill down to the pipe without damaging it. It is very expensive, and very time consuming ... and was what they had been trying to avoid in the first place.

Last edited by quadraginta; 22nd November 2017 at 02:10 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:48 AM   #18
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Presumably because they knew

1) Where the water cut off was
2) Where the House was
3) What a straight line was
4) What a clueless idiot was
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:20 AM   #19
Greebo
Scholar

Water dowsing

Not sure if this is the right place for it (mods please move if needed) or not.
Ten out of twelve water companies in the UK (when I looked) are using divining rods to find leaks, more here.

FFS
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:51 AM   #20
MetalPig
Master Poster

Another thread about this is here:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...splay.php?f=82
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:58 AM   #21
Greebo
Scholar

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
Thanks for letting me know!

Mods - feel free to merge / delete / whatever this thread

Thanks
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:23 AM   #22
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
That link leads to the "Social Issues" forum, an no obvious story about water dowsing.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:24 AM   #23
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Here is the other thread.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:25 AM   #24
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=324993
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:48 AM   #25
steenkh
Philosopher

Thanks!

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:22 AM   #26
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It appears to not be the policy or protocol for these companies...

Originally Posted by BBC News
In a statement issued later, Severn Trent said: "We don't issue divining rods but we believe some of our engineers use them."

All the companies emphasised they do not encourage the use of divining rods nor issue them to engineers, and said modern methods such as drones and listening devices were preferred.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-42070719
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:29 AM   #27
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

That was the situation in my case also. The engineers took it upon themselves to bring divining rods.
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:49 PM   #28
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Because "We don't encourage our workers to try and fix infrastructure problems with magic, we just let them" is so much better.
Old 23rd November 2017, 02:08 AM   #29
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
Not just the UK.

I've seen a guy dowse for an underground power cable and he was right on the money. Don't know what that means in the big picture, but I'm inclined to think that there may be something to it and don't reject it out of hand.

DEATH ALWAYS RIDES SHOTGUN
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 02:30 AM   #30
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VAasVXtCOI

Footage of a double blind trial of dowsing with interviews (from Enemies of Reason).
Old 23rd November 2017, 02:39 AM   #31
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If he was dead and had been buried in a casket that had sufficient room, and he could be aware after death, and be able to manipulate the physical world Randi would be spinning in his grave!

Dowsing has been conclusively tested, it simply doesn't work.

What is very concerning is how it keeps cropping up in places where you think they'd be safe from this bunk.

This type of crap doesn't just cost people money it actually kills people. Because it keeps cropping up murderers like McCormick are able to make money by scamming people.
Old 23rd November 2017, 02:55 AM   #32
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
I've seen a guy dowse for an underground power cable and he was right on the money. Don't know what that means in the big picture, but I'm inclined to think that there may be something to it and don't reject it out of hand.
Yet it fails every test.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 02:58 AM   #33
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Because "We don't encourage our workers to try and fix infrastructure problems with magic, we just let them" is so much better.
This.

If I started casting runes in order to try and figure out why there was a bug in some code I would expect to get sacked.

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
Ooh, look.
Anecdote!
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 03:22 AM   #34
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
This.

If I started casting runes in order to try and figure out why there was a bug in some code I would expect to get sacked.

Ooh, look.
Anecdote!
Oh I don't know I remember delving into someone elses' code to debug years after they'd left the company and it probably would have been as effective as anything else!
Old 23rd November 2017, 04:14 AM   #35
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Confirmation bias could well be the whole explanation of perceived accuracy rates higher than chance, but I think it's possible some of them may essentially be letting their unconscious mind make its best guess, based on past experience and all the data entering their senses (which will be much more than is being brought to the attention of their conscious awareness). That might give a hit rate which is genuinely better than chance.
Old 23rd November 2017, 05:25 AM   #36
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

That and there are many places where (when drilling wells) it would be an achievement to miss water rather than hit it but that doesn't mean you can't claim that was the spot.

And, as the video I linked to above shows, if it's a miss there's always a 'reason' (but the reason is never "it doesn't work").
Old 23rd November 2017, 06:29 AM   #37
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Shouted at the radio this morning. John Humphrys had a scientist in who was far too polite about it all, especially when Humphrys told his own anecdote - basically he had to find a source of water on his own farm as a well had run dry and a diviner found one which they then ran a pipe from. Scientist talks about coincidence and no known mechanism, ideomotor, unconscious clues etc.

Humphrys then ups the ante (yeah there's always more impressive detail to add) and states that sometime later they had a leak in that water supply and a diviner successfully located it. He went on and on about it being a 4 acre field so no way it was chance and all the scientist came back with was that divining failed controlled tests.

I was screaming at the radio that it wasn't a spot in a 4 acre field, it was a spot along a straight line, as they all knew where the source was (having 'miraculously' found and dug it out some time earlier) and the output and had laid the sodding pipe between them in the first place. Not only that but if it was a significant enough leak to have been noticed in the first place, there were probably visual cues!

Aaaarghh, come on Radio 4, you're supposed to be better than this!
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:57 AM   #38
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
Shouted at the radio this morning. John Humphrys had a scientist in who was far too polite about it all, especially when Humphrys told his own anecdote - basically he had to find a source of water on his own farm as a well had run dry and a diviner found one which they then ran a pipe from. Scientist talks about coincidence and no known mechanism, ideomotor, unconscious clues etc.

Humphrys then ups the ante (yeah there's always more impressive detail to add) and states that sometime later they had a leak in that water supply and a diviner successfully located it. He went on and on about it being a 4 acre field so no way it was chance and all the scientist came back with was that divining failed controlled tests.

I was screaming at the radio that it wasn't a spot in a 4 acre field, it was a spot along a straight line, as they all knew where the source was (having 'miraculously' found and dug it out some time earlier) and the output and had laid the sodding pipe between them in the first place. Not only that but if it was a significant enough leak to have been noticed in the first place, there were probably visual cues!

Aaaarghh, come on Radio 4, you're supposed to be better than this!
I sometimes download the Today program to listen to while walking the dog. I won't this evening, one gets funny looks walking the darkened streets yelling abuse at no-one.
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:10 PM   #39
Ranb
Philosopher

When the water pressure reducer on the edge of my lot failed, the utility came out and told me I had to dig up the line between the reducer and the house. One of the men produced a divining rod which looked like a telescoping antenna with a hand grip then proceeded to wave it around and mark the location of the water line. I couldn't help but notice that he marked a direct path between the electric meter and the junction box and told him so. He then gave me the number for the utility people who would properly mark the water and power lines buried in my yard; which they did the next day.

I wrote to the utility and asked them if they allowed their employees to haphazardly mark out the locations of water services using such foolhardy methods. I told them I could have been killed had I dug where their man told me the water line was. They wrote back saying it was not their policy to use a dowsing rod. No ***** !

Last edited by Ranb; 23rd November 2017 at 12:13 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:40 PM   #40
Rougarou
Thinker

Because of this thread, yesterday I asked one of my customers who is in the business of installing underground gasoline tanks and dispensers here in the U.S.A. if he ever saw anyone dowsing when they had to check for water mains, utility lines, etc. At first he said he did see it from time to time, and seemed to know what I was referring to. But after I expressed surprise and called the practice B.S., he claimed to misunderstand what I was talking about and said metal detectors and such were always used. Hmmm.

Last edited by Rougarou; 23rd November 2017 at 08:42 PM.
Rougarou is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal