ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers , Mike Hughes

Old 22nd November 2017, 04:42 AM   #1
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Man plans to launch himself in a home-made rocket....

To prove that the Earth is flat.

According to the Washington Post article:

“Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.”

Apparently this self-taught rocket scientist plans a steam-powered rocked ala’ Evel Knievel, and a first flight of only a few miles...

Sure hope he gets it all on YouTube.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.3ca8057beeba

Last edited by Bikewer; 22nd November 2017 at 04:45 AM.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 04:47 AM   #2
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
To prove that the Earth is flat.

According to the Washington Post article:

“Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.”

Apparently this self-taught rocket scientist plans a steam-powered rocked ala’ Evel Knievel, and a first flight of only a few miles...

Sure hope he gets it all on YouTube.
1,800 feet? I'm wondering why he can't just book a flight and achieve a much higher ceiling at a lot less risk and cost. Why not a balloon flight if 1,800 feet is crucial?

ETA - Ah I see that this particular flight is just a step along the way of proving the Earth is flat. Should have read the OP fully!

Last edited by bluesjnr; 22nd November 2017 at 04:51 AM.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 05:23 AM   #3
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

In broad principle we ought to applaud this. This is the very essence of science. You don't have to take anyone's word for it; you can do the experiment yourself.

On the other hand, the 'experiment' he's designing is ludicrous, massively more dangerous and expensive than it needs to be and is just going to get him killed.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 05:26 AM   #4
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Anyway, the balloonists are part of the conspiracy, open your eyes man!

Anyone know the guy's domestic situation? Is he going to qualify for a Darwin Award?
Old 22nd November 2017, 05:42 AM   #5
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Anyway, the balloonists are part of the conspiracy, open your eyes man!

Anyone know the guy's domestic situation? Is he going to qualify for a Darwin Award?
He certainly looks like he is a contender.
  • He is a "self taught" scientist.
  • His role model is Evel Knievil.
  • He states "I don't believe in science."
  • He's going to run for California governor at some point in the future.
  • He goes by the self penned moniker Mad Mike Hughes.

And lets not forget, he rejects the consensus that the earth is spherical.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 05:47 AM   #6
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why not just go up a big hill?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 05:51 AM   #7
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

If this guy “doesn’t believe in science” what’s he using to build his rocket with? Witchcraft?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 05:56 AM   #8
skbuncks
Scholar

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
In broad principle we ought to applaud this. This is the very essence of science. You don't have to take anyone's word for it; you can do the experiment yourself.

On the other hand, the 'experiment' he's designing is ludicrous, massively more dangerous and expensive than it needs to be and is just going to get him killed.
He doesn't believe in science:
Quote:
“I don’t believe in science,” said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.”
Quite where he thinks the formulae come from is anyone's guess... fairies maybe.
Needs to work on them landings too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3feaiPcv6yE

Last edited by skbuncks; 22nd November 2017 at 05:57 AM.
skbuncks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:09 AM   #9
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Who needs science when you have good old common sense.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:23 AM   #10
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by skbuncks View Post
He doesn't believe in science:

Quite where he thinks the formulae come from is anyone's guess... fairies maybe.
Needs to work on them landings too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3feaiPcv6yE
So he doesn't believe in science but he believes in what science stands for... so it's just the word that he finds icky?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:30 AM   #11
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
His role model is Evel Knievil.
I think that's backwards, I read a quote from him saying he didn't like Knievil.

There's that dark part of me that enjoys watching things like this go terribly wrong, but at the same time I certainly don't want anyone to get hurt... I'd say good luck but really that has problems too, since if it goes too well it might encourage other even more dangerous foolishness. I guess on balance the best thing I can hope for is that it goes well but is unimpressive.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:26 AM   #12
steenkh
Philosopher

What is he hoping to see from 1,800 feet that will prove the Earth is flat?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:28 AM   #13
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Australia.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:37 AM   #14
NoahFence
Suspended

How far can you see from 1800 feet up - assuming you're on flat ground like in the plains?
30 miles?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:46 AM   #15
Worm
Graduate Poster

just over 50 in perfect conditions.

(including various assumptions about sea level, earth is a perfect sphere etc.)

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:48 AM   #16
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-earth-is-flat

The story is much more revealing, I think.

He was having trouble raising money for his rocketry projects.

Quote:
Hughes only recently converted to flat-Eartherism, after struggling for months to raise funds for his follow-up flight over the Mojave.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:50 AM   #17
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

It's all very well getting to 1800 feet, But how is he going to get down again?
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:51 AM   #18
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
If this guy “doesn’t believe in science” what’s he using to build his rocket with? Witchcraft?
It's funny he says he doesn't believe in science while planning experiments to test his hypothesis.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:51 AM   #19
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
just over 50 in perfect conditions.

(including various assumptions about sea level, earth is a perfect sphere etc.)
Well there's your problem.

You know, I bet I could get a really good view from up there if it turns out that we're actually living on the inside surface of the hollow earth...
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:59 AM   #20
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Why not just drive to Denver, or hike up the nearest mountain, or maybe even visit the top of the new World Trade Center building? Or any of the many very tall buildings available world wide?

There are far less risky ways to look at the Earth from a high point other than a home made rocket.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:17 AM   #21
Spock Jenkins
Muse

1,800 feet? I'm wondering why he can't just book a flight and achieve a much higher ceiling at a lot less risk and cost. Why not a balloon flight if 1,800 feet is crucial?

ETA - Ah I see that this particular flight is just a step along the way of proving the Earth is flat. Should have read the OP fully!
Because the airlines are in on it, silly! Of course the windows on a commercial aircraft will distort the view leaving the impression of a round earth. No. The only way to definitively prove is if the inquisitor owns the entire process from beginning to end.

Yes, I'm intentionally ignoring the open air nature and elevation that balloons attain because it doesn't fit my narrative.
Spock Jenkins is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:24 AM   #22
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He says nobody has gone to the moon and all astronauts are just paid actors.

Originally Posted by Washington Post
“John Glenn and Neil Armstrong are Freemasons,” Hughes agreed. “Once you understand that, you understand the roots of the deception.”
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:34 AM   #23
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

All he has to do is get himself a pair of binoculars, then check when the space station is due to pass overhead, and he can see it for himself.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:41 AM   #24
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
He says nobody has gone to the moon and all astronauts are just paid actors.
Well, if they're freemasons, no need for further evidence!

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:11 AM   #25
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

My theory is that he doesn't believe most of what he says and instead is acting the role of a nutso for purposes of self-promotion and fundraising. His donations to GoFundMe were extremely meager until he injected the flat earth idea.
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:13 AM   #26
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

I thought it might be a shrewd pitch for a crowfunding campaign he never intends to follow through on.
But apparently he's already paid for everything, and he's planning on launching himself next weekend...

The man's a complete idiot.

ETA: I couldn't find his GoFundMe, do you have a link WP?

He might be an only moderately insane scam artist after all...

Last edited by Porpoise of Life; 22nd November 2017 at 09:14 AM.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:02 AM   #27
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

If he can get himself above the atmosphere, he can prove rockets need air to push against.
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:06 AM   #28
Monza
Alta Viro

Gravity.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:14 AM   #29
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Gravity.
Ugh. You sphereheads and your "gravity". It's a MYTH! Obviously. But the earth is accelerating upwards, so we'll catch up to him after a minute giving the appearance of him falling.
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:07 AM   #30
EvilBiker
Muse

Flat Earth Detective

I've not noticed a post on this yet, but Mike Hughes is going to be powering himself into space this weekend (25 Nov 2017).

Should be a laugh. The link is informative

First up, steam powered rocket??

Old 22nd November 2017, 11:10 AM   #31
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

That bit is easier than the getting up.

It will also be the most interesting bit of the project from an observers point of view.
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:10 AM   #32
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

"I Don't believe in science".

Well, duh.
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:10 AM   #33
Argumemnon
World Maker

You didn't look very far:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...php?p=12087275

Old 22nd November 2017, 11:12 AM   #34
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post

Russia
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:40 AM   #35
EvilBiker
Muse

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
You're right, my bad. Long night.
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:43 AM   #36
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
You're right, my bad. Long night.
Disinfo. The world is flat so there's no such thing as day and night cycles.

Old 22nd November 2017, 12:01 PM   #37
Imhotep
Muse

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Disinfo. The world is flat so there's no such thing as day and night cycles.
Yeah, well maybe you're an agent provocateur trying to establish credibility so you can sabotage us later.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:51 PM   #38
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Yeah, well maybe you're an agent provocateur trying to establish credibility so you can sabotage us later.
I'm not allowed to comment further.

Old 22nd November 2017, 01:18 PM   #39
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Is he going to qualify for a Darwin Award?

He will if his trajectory takes him over the edge.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 01:39 PM   #40
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

He certainly looks like he is a contender.
  • He is a "self taught" scientist.
  • His role model is Evel Knievil.
  • He states "I don't believe in science."
  • He's going to run for California governor at some point in the future.
  • He goes by the self penned moniker Mad Mike Hughes.

And lets not forget, he rejects the consensus that the earth is spherical.
But does he compare himself to Einstein? Favorably?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal