ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers , Mike Hughes

Old 22nd November 2017, 01:54 PM   #41
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
He certainly looks like he is a contender.
  • He is a "self taught" scientist.
  • His role model is Evel Knievil.
  • He states "I don't believe in science."
  • He's going to run for California governor at some point in the future.
  • He goes by the self penned moniker Mad Mike Hughes.

And lets not forget, he rejects the consensus that the earth is spherical.
I have little doubt he'll pass the practical for a Darwin, I was just wondering if he'd disqualified himself by reproducing first.
Old 22nd November 2017, 01:55 PM   #42
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Hate to put a damper on everyone's revelry but according to this article: https://apnews.com/9d8e5e8e9245412ab...ver-ghost-town

posted by our very own HalleysComet here:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...319960&page=54

This is actually
Quote:
the second time he’s constructed and launched a rocket.
So I think he'll probably survive. And, c'mon, the actual rocket looks pretty cool. And steam powered! Langley would love it! He probably likes to build and launch his own rockets because it's fun.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 01:59 PM   #43
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
He will if his trajectory takes him over the edge.
It's alright, he's read the Octavo.
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:05 PM   #44
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I love the word "atmosflat".
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:30 PM   #45
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

How is he to be positioned inside his rocket relative to the window, I can only imagine he'll be on his back looking up travelling head first?

On a more serious note
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Upt7ZTvcriY
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:34 PM   #46
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
I've not noticed a post on this yet, but Mike Hughes is going to be powering himself into space this weekend (25 Nov 2017).

Should be a laugh. The link is informative

First up, steam powered rocket??

The only space he's powering himself into is between his ears. His rocket is expected to reach 1800 feet at a mind blowing 500 MPH. Next year he hopes for a mile high....................

My best guess, flat Earthers are hoping he dies, proving space flight is impossible....

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:43 PM   #47
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

In all seriousness. What is he trying to prove (or disprove)?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:52 PM   #48
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Video of his previous launch, rear view from the rocket.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fp2q_dKuc-c

Edit:
And other view of the flight and his extraction from the rocket after landing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3feaiPcv6yE

Last edited by alexi_drago; 22nd November 2017 at 03:21 PM.
alexi_drago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 03:03 PM   #49
bknight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
"I Don't believe in science".

Well, duh.
He doesn't start off well, does he.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 03:36 PM   #50
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

At lofty heights, the only flat I worry about is how flat I'll be when I fall. The following video requires nerves of steel: Bulb Changing on a 1999 ft. TOWER!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
If the video doesn't show, here's the YT link.
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:48 PM   #51
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
Video of his previous launch, rear view from the rocket.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fp2q_dKuc-c

Edit:
And other view of the flight and his extraction from the rocket after landing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3feaiPcv6yE
Thanks for the second vid. One hopes that he is "in touch" with his Spirit Guide on a better recovery system for v.2 (see what I did there!)
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:27 PM   #52
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

There is nothing about this story that isn't great.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:09 PM   #53
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

1,800 feet? I'm wondering why he can't just book a flight and achieve a much higher ceiling at a lot less risk and cost. Why not a balloon flight if 1,800 feet is crucial?

ETA - Ah I see that this particular flight is just a step along the way of proving the Earth is flat. Should have read the OP fully!
Or wasted fewer brain cells drinking your your local bar empty.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:30 PM   #54
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
It's all very well getting to 1800 feet, But how is he going to get down again?
Density
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 22nd November 2017 at 11:31 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 01:29 AM   #55
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

What if he does find out the “truth”? Aren’t NASA/The Illuminati/The Deep State going to kill him?
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 02:18 AM   #56
autumn1971
Master Poster

Don't we have a member here who could launch him much more cheaply on a similar trajectory?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 02:22 AM   #57
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
What if he does find out the “truth”? Aren’t NASA/The Illuminati/The Deep State going to kill him?
Yeah, in a rocket crash!
Old 23rd November 2017, 02:42 AM   #58
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Takeoff is optional, landing ain't.
Old 23rd November 2017, 02:45 AM   #59
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Wouldn't flying a plane up to the edge of the world be more practical?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 03:20 AM   #60
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Wouldn't flying a plane up to the edge of the world be more practical?
But that's where all the MiB patrols are with orders to shoot down anyone attempting to get to the edge.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 04:17 AM   #61
smartcooky
Philosopher

Mad Mike is a leading contender to win the 2017 Darwin Award, and will be key in increasing the average IQ level of the planet.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 04:30 AM   #62
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Wouldn't everyone want to go visit the ice wall at the edge of the world? Wouldn't that be just the biggest tourist trap ever? People would build elevators so you could pay to go to the top and look over edge.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 04:34 AM   #63
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a...k-a-flat-earth

And here's some first class wackiness.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 05:05 AM   #64
bknight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

The world's IQ would definitely increase with his demise.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 06:43 PM   #65
John Freestone
Muse

Slide down a rainbow.
John Freestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:25 PM   #66
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
What is he hoping to see from 1,800 feet that will prove the Earth is flat?
Don't know - but I am completely certain he will not find it.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:40 PM   #67
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

By falling 1800 feet followed by a rather sharpish stop.
Old 24th November 2017, 12:40 AM   #68
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Don't know - but I am completely certain he will not find it.
If he survives I am 100% he will find what he wanted to find.
Old 24th November 2017, 01:01 AM   #69
Dabop
Critical Thinker

1,800 feet? I'm wondering why he can't just book a flight and achieve a much higher ceiling at a lot less risk and cost. Why not a balloon flight if 1,800 feet is crucial?

ETA - Ah I see that this particular flight is just a step along the way of proving the Earth is flat. Should have read the OP fully!
Its obvious man!!!
what shape is the `fake' earth??

Round!

what shape is a hot air balloon???

ROUND!!!

Ergo hot air balloons are fake too!

Old 24th November 2017, 01:23 AM   #70
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If he survives I am 100% he will find what he wanted to find.
"I didn't see a curve"
"The horizon rose to my eyelevel"
Old 24th November 2017, 01:27 AM   #71
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

Wow!

Quote:
Let me put it this way, if the sun is able to make Saturn visible from Earth, shouldn't we all be burned right now?
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 04:09 AM   #72
John Freestone
Muse

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
"I didn't see a curve"
"The horizon rose to my eyelevel"
"I could just make out the wall of ice all around, very far away, but enormous."
"It was hotter, as I was nearer the Sun"
John Freestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 04:47 AM   #73
TX50
Graduate Poster

Wouldn't the FAA take exception to idiots launching themselves into the sky like this?
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 01:16 PM   #74
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Density
Don't you mean gravity.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 01:34 PM   #75
Madalch
The Jester

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Hate to put a damper on everyone's revelry but according to this article..... he'll probably survive. And, c'mon, the actual rocket looks pretty cool. And steam powered! Langley would love it! He probably likes to build and launch his own rockets because it's fun.
His previous rocket was a much shorter flight, and I think that almost killed him. I personally wouldn't be surprised if he shot his rocket and then faked footage of him exiting it, after staying safely on the ground.
Old 24th November 2017, 01:53 PM   #76
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
Wouldn't the FAA take exception to idiots launching themselves into the sky like this?
Don't think it's the FAA but someone has taken exception and it's possibly been cancelled, though mad Mike has suggested it may go ahead elsewhere.
Old 24th November 2017, 02:38 PM   #77
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
His previous rocket was a much shorter flight, and I think that almost killed him. I personally wouldn't be surprised if he shot his rocket and then faked footage of him exiting it, after staying safely on the ground.

Shooting projectiles at your parachute/recovery system is never a good idea. At the link I posted earlier it says he "traveled 1,374 feet" and from the video it appears that measurement is on the x-axis only. No way he got up to 1,374 ft on the y-axis. No idea what he means by traveling 1800 ft. We'll just have to wait.

ETA: It's the ultimate All-Up-Test!!

Last edited by Elagabalus; 24th November 2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 24th November 2017, 02:44 PM   #78
Madalch
The Jester

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Shooting projectiles at your parachute/recovery system is never a good idea.
By "shooting his rocket", I mean sending it up without him, not shooting bullets at it.
Old 24th November 2017, 04:58 PM   #79
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
By "shooting his rocket", I mean sending it up without him, not shooting bullets at it.
And there was I thinking "shot his rocket" meant something completely different...

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 05:49 PM   #80
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Density
Don't you mean gravity.
No.

Hint: Rocketman is a Flat Earther.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal