ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers , Mike Hughes

Old 24th November 2017, 08:35 PM   #81
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
Wouldn't the FAA take exception to idiots launching themselves into the sky like this?
There are areas set aside by the FAA for civilian rocketry. Not sure if this was going to happen at one of them though.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 08:45 PM   #82
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Steam powered rocket? At least it's not horse drawn.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 11:50 PM   #83
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post

Strangely, there is actually such a thing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephenson%27s_Rocket

... but its chances of attaining an altitude of 1,800 feet is nil (unless of course, the track goes over a high enough hill).
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 01:52 AM   #84
steenkh
Philosopher

What do flat-earthers think about the Moon? Is that flat too?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 02:02 AM   #85
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Depends which flat earther.
It is flat or possibly concave, 3,000 miles away and emits its own cold light.
Or it's a hologram, with occasional glitches.
Old 25th November 2017, 09:17 AM   #86
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
No

Hint: Rocketman is a Flat Earther.
There was an interview with a man that was using a jet pack to fly around and the interview said, " How will you get down if something goes wrong" and the flier said " I will rely on gravity"
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 12:38 PM   #87
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Launch scrubbed by "The Man".
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 01:24 PM   #88
Arisia
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Yeah, if you're going to do that kind of thing on public lands, it helps to check in advance with the particular department that oversees the land for the American people. That and the FAA might want to know what's going on. Of course, the bureaucrats are part of the great spherist conspiracy.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 02:26 PM   #89
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
But it is something from a horse, and plenty of it!!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 02:28 PM   #90
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post

It's elephants all the way down!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 04:30 PM   #91
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There was an interview with a man that was using a jet pack to fly around and the interview said, " How will you get down if something goes wrong" and the flier said " I will rely on gravity"
Then he was not a Flat Earther.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 08:47 AM   #92
Cainkane1
Philosopher

He just wants to use his own rocket.
Old 27th November 2017, 08:48 AM   #93
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Little rocket man can't get it up... Sad. #MAGA
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 09:08 AM   #94
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Steam-powered is actually a good choice for a manned rocket that doesn't have to go very far. The most likely failure scenarios for a steam-powered rocket motor would occur while the water is being heated into steam and no one is in or near the rocket. A typical fuel and oxidizer rocket is more likely to fail at ignition when the passenger would be aboard.

I don't think it has been mentioned, but Eddie Braun recently jumped the Snake River Canyon is a steam-powered rocket based on the design Evel Knievel used:

http://www.ktvb.com/mobile/article/n...nyon/319488060

Of course, Braun enlisted the help of qualified people including the son of the original designer of the Sky Cycle. They spent years preparing and made the stunt as safe as it could be while remaining faithful to duplicating Knievel's attempt.

And, Braun didn't rely on trying to raise money from flat-earthers.

Last edited by jadebox; 27th November 2017 at 11:04 AM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 09:16 AM   #95
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

So the guy has the Flat Earthers' money, didn't have to kill himself with his homemade contraption, and has plausible deniability because he was stopped by 'the man' (announcing you're going to perform a dangerous act you have no permission for on public land will do that)?

He's got a bright future in developing Free Energy machines.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 10:47 AM   #96
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
There are areas set aside by the FAA for civilian rocketry. Not sure if this was going to happen at one of them though.
For the most part, there aren't specific areas for civilian rocketry. Instead we request and are granted waivers for flights at our launch sites. The waivers generally allow us to launch up to a specified altitude during the time period of the event. Sometimes we call into the local ATC center to get a "window" to fly to a higher altitude. We don't launch when aircraft are spotted in the area and we avoid flying through clouds.

When we are granted a waiver, the FAA issues a NOTAM to warn pilots of our activities. Unfortunately, I think seeing a notice for an "Unmanned Rocket Launch" actually attracts some pilots wanting to see what's going on and we have to suspend our launches until the aircraft leaves the area.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that FAA distinguishes between manned and unmanned launches.

I believe the rocket discussed here would be a Class 2 rocket as defined by the FAA. If so, all he would need is the simple waiver as described above. Getting the waiver is not difficult.

If, however, his rocket produces enough Newton-Seconds of thrust to be a Class 3 rocket, he will have to submit some fairly extensive paperwork to the FAA. Our national organizations have worked with the FAA to streamline the process for hobbyists, but we don't deal with manned launches (and our members have to demonstrate their knowledge and skills before launching larger rockets).

Of course, he also needs permission of the landowners. Hobbyists often fly Class 2 and Class 3 rockets from areas controlled by the BLM. We have even had a group launch an amateur rocket into space from a launch site in Nevada. So, the BLM is not adverse to allowing rockets to be launched from the land they manage.

But, the BLM might be a little concerned about someone who hasn't shown that he has the skill or knowledge to build and fly a rocket safely (whether or not he plans to be inside it).

Last edited by jadebox; 27th November 2017 at 10:54 AM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 10:58 AM   #97
halleyscomet
Philosopher

A flat-Earther’s plan to launch himself in a homemade rocket has been postponed — again

Quote:
By now, Mike Hughes should have already proved that the Earth was flat.

That was according to his original plan, which had been to launch himself 1,800 feet high last Saturday in his homemade scrap-metal rocket over Amboy, Calif., an unincorporated community in the Mojave Desert along historic Route 66.

From the sky, he would snap a picture to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth.

But a variety of roadblocks have forced him to push back his experiment, he claims.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 11:25 AM   #98
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

But planes fly much higher than his rocket would. Why not take a picture from a plane window? Do they disbelieve in heavier-than-air-flight too? Do they think planes are just fancy Greyhound buses with scrolling scenery outside the plexiglass?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 11:42 AM   #99
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
But planes fly much higher than his rocket would. Why not take a picture from a plane window? Do they disbelieve in heavier-than-air-flight too? Do they think planes are just fancy Greyhound buses with scrolling scenery outside the plexiglass?
Bolding mine

It really wouldn't surprise me, they think everything else is faked and CGI.
Old 27th November 2017, 12:10 PM   #100
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Amboy, California is only about 600 ft. above sea level. A flight to 1,800 ft. AGL would place him only 2,400 ft. above sea level. Sitting on my front porch, I'm already 2,000 feet higher than the apex of his projected flight. I would also ask how this flight is expected to acquire conclusive information not obtainable by other means, but I gather his intended audience doesn't really know how science works anyway.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 12:57 PM   #101
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
Bolding mine

I wonder what they thought before computers?
Old 27th November 2017, 01:11 PM   #102
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I wonder what they thought before computers?
Model shops and airbrushes?
Old 28th November 2017, 09:01 PM   #103
GT/CS
Illuminator

That's most likely exactly what he was hoping.
Old 7th December 2017, 07:41 PM   #104
EHocking
Philosopher

Only delayed "a few weeks", as at 3/12/17.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 05:18 AM   #105
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

It fell off the transporter, er motorhome, while driving, small amount of damage to one of the wheels it runs on the launch rail.
Old 10th December 2017, 06:29 AM   #106
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
Bolding mine

Wonder how Magellan pulled that off.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM   #107
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Amboy, California is only about 600 ft. above sea level. A flight to 1,800 ft. AGL would place him only 2,400 ft. above sea level. Sitting on my front porch, I'm already 2,000 feet higher than the apex of his projected flight. I would also ask how this flight is expected to acquire conclusive information not obtainable by other means, but I gather his intended audience doesn't really know how science works anyway.
What part of "FLAT Earth" don't you get? There's no such thing as mountains ether.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #108
Finster
Muse

Not that logic seems like this guys strong suit but wouldn't a hot air balloon go higher, be less expensive, be easier to get and work with, and less likely to result in death?

Last edited by Finster; Yesterday at 12:39 PM.
Finster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #109
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Finster View Post
Not that logic seems like this guys strong suit but wouldn't a hot air balloon go higher, be less expensive, be easier to get and work with, and less likely to result in death?
A hot air balloon can't reach space, which is his ultimate, but not first, goal.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #110
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Finster View Post
A video camera mounted on a rocket would also be a lot easier and cheaper to manage than a rocket that can get a human to and from space. I think this guy is either a thrill-seeker financing his daredevil ways by playing lip-service to the Flat Earth mythology, or he's actively trying to milk Flat-Earthers for donations is a rather cynical con.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM   #111
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
A video camera mounted on a rocket would also be a lot easier and cheaper to manage than a rocket that can get a human to and from space. I think this guy is either a thrill-seeker financing his daredevil ways by playing lip-service to the Flat Earth mythology, or he's actively trying to milk Flat-Earthers for donations is a rather cynical con.
Pretty much is it.
He says as much in the 3 Dec update YouTube video I posted up thread.

He holds a Guinness record for the longest/highest rail launched jump, and this bid is merely an attempt to better it, and is quite happy to get any sponsorship.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal