ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th November 2017, 11:19 PM   #1
SizzlingTeapot
New Blood

doppelganger?

My sister gave me goosebumps when she told me she saw me in the garden staring at my plants, and when she went inside she jumped in fear because I was watching television in the living room! Did she just see my doppelganger or was it just her antidepressants talking?
SizzlingTeapot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 11:25 PM   #2
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Well, do you have a doppelganger?

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 12:10 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Probably just a ghost.
No need to come up with some absurd "doppelganger" theory.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 01:52 AM   #4
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by SizzlingTeapot View Post
My sister gave me goosebumps when she told me she saw me in the garden staring at my plants, and when she went inside she jumped in fear because I was watching television in the living room! Did she just see my doppelganger or was it just her antidepressants talking?
More details would be a little more helpful, although this is still pretty much a case of "cool story, bro".
Where actually were you- inside or outside?

Do you have any evidence for the embedded assumption that doppelgangers exist?
Old 29th November 2017, 02:00 AM   #5
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

As per S.O.P, did you alert reptillian command that this particular human female needs to be replaced immediately lest the conspiracy be exposed?

Click buzz buzz growl.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 02:14 AM   #6
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

A description of your sister's mental health and medical history would be the starting point for taking this seriously. Then we need an actual account of the movements of the 2 people involved, with distances and times.

Anyone who accepts the story as presented as evidence for the existence of dopplegangers is just gullible.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 02:21 AM   #7
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

But you are outside staring at your plants. You have always been outside, staring at your plants.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 02:32 AM   #8
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Probably pareidolia. She saw a pattern she interpreted as a human figure and assumed it was you.
Old 29th November 2017, 04:34 AM   #9
Wolrab
Illuminator

She was probably abducted by aliens after she saw you in the garden. The missing time while they were anally probing her allowed you to finish the garden work and get inside the house. It's really that simple.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 08:10 AM   #10
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

1. She saw someone in the garden, and thought it was you.
  2. She saw a non-person in the garden and due to the angle thought it was a person - more specifically you.
  3. She's messing with you.
  4. She's hallucinating.
  5. Someone made a life size cardboard cutout of you as part of an elaborate prank.
  6. None of this happened at all and you're just posting here as an incredibly weak troll.
  7. You're hallucinating - heck, you don't even HAVE a sister.
  8. You had been in the garden, but quickly ran inside to mess with your sister and are now posting here as part of a ploy to convince her you're not playing a prank on her.

Okay that's all for now.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 08:26 AM   #11
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Why would she be afraid that you were watching television?
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 08:35 AM   #12
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Why would she be afraid that you were watching television?
Don't you know what the tele does to your brain?????11111!!!

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 09:54 AM   #13
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Chances are that there's at least a few people out there who look a lot like you; there are only so many bloody heads/faces in the world and we love to find patterns in things.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 10:52 AM   #14
Explorer
Graduate Poster

I was sitting on a park bench last week, and a passer by who was my doppelganger sat down on the same bench. I was beside myself.
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 11:03 AM   #15
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
I was sitting on a park bench last week, and a passer by who was my doppelganger sat down on the same bench. I was beside myself.
:rimshot:
Old 29th November 2017, 11:04 AM   #16
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

How can we know if it is you or your doppelgänger to whom we are chatting in this thread?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 01:15 PM   #17
Explorer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
How can we know if it is you or your doppelgänger to whom we are chatting in this thread?
I am the one with the short fat hairy legs. He uses a shaver.
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 01:19 PM   #18
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Oh god, which one do we shoot?
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 01:42 PM   #19
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
Oh god, which one do we shoot?
The one with the goatee! Honestly, it's like Star Trek never happened.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:24 PM   #20
TheSapient
Critical Thinker

Just because a doppelganger has taken your form, it doesn't mean it is YOUR doppelganger. They belong to themselves, just like anyone else. They have their own lives, their own thoughts, their own hopes and dreams. Until they kill you and take your place. Then they are basically you.
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 05:23 PM   #21
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

If my doppleganger's out there, there are some meeting I can't be bothered to attend next week. I'll split the garmanbozia 50/50.
Old 29th November 2017, 05:41 PM   #22
wasapi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
A description of your sister's mental health and medical history would be the starting point for taking this seriously. Then we need an actual account of the movements of the 2 people involved, with distances and times.

Anyone who accepts the story as presented as evidence for the existence of dopplegangers is just gullible.
Great point. There is just so much more information needed to even speculate. I'm leaning toward "just gullible" though.
Old 30th November 2017, 09:32 AM   #23
Spindrift

Originally Posted by TheSapient View Post
Just because a doppelganger has taken your form, it doesn't mean it is YOUR doppelganger. They belong to themselves, just like anyone else. They have their own lives, their own thoughts, their own hopes and dreams. Until they kill you and take your place. Then they are basically you.
Whose doppelganger are you?
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2017, 09:47 AM   #24
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
.......I'm leaning toward "just gullible" though.
Whereas I'm tending to suspect "seagull".
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2017, 10:44 AM   #25
fagin
Illuminator

Being charitable, maybe his doppelganger got him.
Old 30th November 2017, 11:16 AM   #26
Spindrift

A droppelganger.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:11 PM   #27
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
A droppelganger.

OK, you've tried hard. Nominated.
Old 1st December 2017, 05:50 AM   #28
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Being charitable, maybe his doppelganger got him.
Duh, all seagulls look alike.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 08:15 AM   #29
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Duh, all seagulls look alike.
That's a blatantly seagullist stereotype.
Old 1st December 2017, 08:27 AM   #30
Spindrift

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
That's a blatantly seagullist stereotype.
Just tern the other cheek.
Old 1st December 2017, 08:29 AM   #31
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Cut out the sea bird puns. I won't a skua gain.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 08:31 AM   #32
Spindrift

Yes, let's not let things get aukward.
Old 1st December 2017, 12:45 PM   #33
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

He's puffin out his chest and putting his foot down on this matter.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:05 PM   #34
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Booby!
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:08 PM   #35
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

It can't get any worse than this, gannet?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:08 PM   #36
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Booby!
For the win.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:19 PM   #37
Spindrift

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
For the win.
It's nothing to crow about.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:22 PM   #38
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Booby!
Tits!

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:37 PM   #39
Dave Rogers

This is robin me of the will to live.

Dave

Old 2nd December 2017, 12:34 AM   #40
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I've met my doppelganger, the one in this city anyway.

We were both aware of each other's existence, because people have confused us with each other for a long time.

We even shook hands, and disappointing, nothing happened.

What a let down.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal