ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th November 2017, 01:23 AM   #1
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Bald ? You'll die of a heart attack !

As someone who looks more like a cue ball than he'd like to, this is a kick in the gentleman's area

Quote:
Male pattern baldness and premature greying are more of a risk factor for heart disease than obesity in men under 40, new research suggests.

A study of more than 2,000 young men in India showed more who had coronary artery disease were prematurely bald or grey than men with a full head of hair.
May as well get fat and start smoking again - the die is cast

Quote:
The heart condition group were also more likely to have male pattern baldness - 49% against 27% of those in the healthy group - a 5.6 times greater risk.

Yet obesity was associated with only a fourfold increased risk of the disease.
edited to add....

Sorry, forgot the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42164898

Last edited by The Don; 30th November 2017 at 02:30 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2017, 01:30 AM   #2
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

There is hope if you are not Indian!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2017, 01:46 AM   #3
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
As someone who looks more like a cue ball than he'd like to, this is a kick in the gentleman's area

Let me guess: Being ugly and old is not working in my favor either.
Old 30th November 2017, 07:17 AM   #4
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

edited to add....

Sorry, forgot the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42164898
Doesn't count once you've made it past 40. And it is "relative risk"- very few of us die of heart attack in our 20s and 30s. You might be able to dig into the stats and figure out "comparative risk".
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Doesn't count once you've made it past 40. And it is "relative risk"- very few of us die of heart attack in our 20s and 30s. You might be able to dig into the stats and figure out "comparative risk".
You know how often I tell people that I chose this haircut.

Bald guys are good at rationalizing. Thanks for the assist.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2017, 10:25 AM   #6
fagin
Illuminator

So being slim, fit, and having a full head of not even grey hair means I should live forever.

Except for the *********** cancer. Bummer.

Something's going to get you, sooner or later.
Old 1st December 2017, 07:07 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Does having a combover reduce your risk?
Old 1st December 2017, 02:47 PM   #8
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Maybe, but it increases the risk of random strangers smacking you upside the head.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Thor 2
Illuminator

It increases the risk for others as they collapse in laughter looking at you.
Old 1st December 2017, 03:08 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

A comb-over might be a great icebreaker to get conversations started with people.
Old 2nd December 2017, 01:26 AM   #11
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

This needs to be replicated. Study men over time. See who gets bald or gray and see who then gets heart attacks. See if these things are related to other risk factors. If it is confirmed that men who go gray early in life or go bald have a far greater chance of a heart attack these people could then be strongly encouraged to improve their health and learn how to detect a heart attack.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:06 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
This needs to be replicated. Study men over time. See who gets bald or gray and see who then gets heart attacks. See if these things are related to other risk factors. If it is confirmed that men who go gray early in life or go bald have a far greater chance of a heart attack these people could then be strongly encouraged to improve their health and learn how to detect a heart attack.
It could be it is a genetic issue - like male pattern baldness - that you can't do anything to reduce the risk with diet, lifestyle etc. It may be the risk factors for other types of heart attacks have no relationship to this risk.

Very complicated to unravel such risks.
Old 2nd December 2017, 06:13 PM   #13
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It could be it is a genetic issue - like male pattern baldness - that you can't do anything to reduce the risk with diet, lifestyle etc. It may be the risk factors for other types of heart attacks have no relationship to this risk.

Very complicated to unravel such risks.
That is why more research is needed. Are gray, bald, fat men more prone to heart attack than gray, bald, skinny men? Then study what happens if the fat people lose weight.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:39 AM   #14
dann
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
This needs to be replicated.

It has been, apparently (same article):
Quote:
And Prof Hughes said a study of 10,885 Danish people in 2014 reported that grey hair predicted future heart disease, but said it could be explained by taking account of other cardiovascular risk factors.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 03:59 PM   #15
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You know how often I tell people that I chose this haircut.

Bald guys are good at rationalizing. Thanks for the assist.
I've re-read the study. Once you correct for confounding factors, It's the haircut that causes the heart disease.

Last edited by casebro; 12th December 2017 at 05:29 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology