ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Michael Flynn , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 2nd December 2017, 07:46 PM   #241
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I simply informed you [Breitbart is] just reporting the news, the news being an opinion piece by Dershowitz.
You know what else is news? Garfield comics! And Beetle Bailey! Hey, they’re in the newspaper, right?
Old 2nd December 2017, 07:47 PM   #242
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
You know what else is news? Garfield comics! And Beetle Bailey! Hey, they’re in the newspaper, right?

And here's even more news: The current GOP is a threat to America.

Turns out, everybody has news!
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 07:48 PM   #243
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

JFYI: Breitbart is one of those German compositive words, Bart meaning beard, Breit meaning broad, wide, colloquially also drunk or stoned. Like those Ashkenazi Jew names (Blumenthal is the valley of the flowers, Zuckerberg is the mountain of sugar, Rothschild is the red shield).
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:12 PM   #244
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Lol

Dershowitz’s opinion on this issue is actually news.

Rupert Murdoch and others have made a buttload of money based on the fact there are many Americans* who don’t know or don’t care about the difference.

*primarily
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:50 PM   #245
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
And they deleted my comment, which was a courteously-worded reply to someone who said something like "is this all they got on Flynn?", and I replied that this was just the start, and Flynn had clearly struck a deal that would lead to him incriminating Trump.
It is a simple tactic. Charge Flynn so that they have a hold on him while revealing nothing about their next move.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 11:27 PM   #246
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It is a simple tactic. Charge Flynn so that they have a hold on him while revealing nothing about their next move.
I know; my comment was about RT.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 11:55 PM   #247
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I know; my comment was about RT.
Not disagreeing, just expanding.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:39 AM   #248
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It wasn’t posted as proof, it was posted as more news. It’s my opinion it is a nothing burger.
Really? The (now ex) national security advisor to the POTUS lied to the FBI about his conversations with the official representative of a foreign power and that is a minor matter?
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:49 AM   #249
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Donald Trump walks out of the White House in cuffs.

Logger:

"It's the left hoping for something real! Nothing to see here"

Come on man. Up your game. That's pathetic.

Donald Trump engages in an armed siege with the police and FBI who have been sent to remove him, hanging out the White House window with a hunting rifle in his hands and his overly long tie around his head like an orange Rambo.

Logger:

Old 3rd December 2017, 03:59 AM   #250
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Donald Trump engages in an armed siege with the police and FBI who have been sent to remove him, hanging out the White House window with a hunting rifle in his hands and his overly long tie around his head like an orange Rambo.

Logger:

Do try to restrain your imagination to the realms of the possible. That could never happen, Trump's tiny crinkled paws could never operate a trigger. You know those wide triangular crayons they make especially for toddlers? Perhaps if someone manufactured a gun with a trigger like that he could manage it.
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:08 AM   #251
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Do try to restrain your imagination to the realms of the possible. That could never happen, Trump's tiny crinkled paws could never operate a trigger. You know those wide triangular crayons they make especially for toddlers? Perhaps if someone manufactured a gun with a trigger like that he could manage it.
You are of course correct. I apologise unreservedly.
Old 3rd December 2017, 07:01 AM   #252
FenerFan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
No need for hand use at all. They make shooting mounts that allow you to aim and fire using only your chin and mouth.
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:14 AM   #253
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Big picture, Putin uses Russia’s social misinformation services before the campaign to push an anti-Clinton and, later, a pro-Trump narrative. After the election, Flynn contacts Russia about easing US sanctions against Russia which, ultimately, Trump simply refuses to enforce.

What does “quid pro quo” mean, again?
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:17 AM   #254
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
No need for hand use at all. They make shooting mounts that allow you to aim and fire using only your chin and mouth.
If he can use all of his chins he will achieve a very fast firing rate!
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:26 AM   #255
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Big picture, Putin uses Russia’s social misinformation services before the campaign to push an anti-Clinton and, later, a pro-Trump narrative. After the election, Flynn contacts Russia about easing US sanctions against Russia which, ultimately, Trump simply refuses to enforce.

What? "Easing US sanctions"? He asked Russia to not escalate in response to Obama's silly sanctions. Successfully, or at least Russia didn't escalate at that time for some reason. And he asked Russia on behalf of Israel to vote against the Egypt-sponsored UN resolution to condemn the illegal settlements in Palestine. Which Russia didn't do, it voted for the resolution.
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:04 AM   #256
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
What? "Easing US sanctions"? He asked Russia to not escalate in response to Obama's silly sanctions. Successfully, or at least Russia didn't escalate at that time for some reason. And he asked Russia on behalf of Israel to vote against the Egypt-sponsored UN resolution to condemn the illegal settlements in Palestine. Which Russia didn't do, it voted for the resolution.
You don't seem to understand: Nothing that these people say about what was discussed, after first lying about anything being discussed, is credible.

TrumpCo tried to find a way to unilaterally lift the sanctions:
Trump White House Made Secret Efforts to Remove Russia Sanctions

Trump was supposed to implement Obama's new sanctions for election meddling on October 1st, but:
Congress: Trump Won’t Implement Russia Sanctions — and He Won’t Tell Us Why

Originally Posted by Miriam-Webster
Quid pro quo is a Latin phrase that literally means "something for something." The phrase usually indicates an exchange of goods or services of roughly equivalent value.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 3rd December 2017 at 09:05 AM.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:31 AM   #257
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
You don't seem to understand: Nothing that these people say about what was discussed, after first lying about anything being discussed, is credible.

It's you who doesn't understand. What I described is what Flynn pleaded guilty to having lied about, it's what the Mueller investigation says was discussed.

You people should really learn to read primary sources instead of letting those talking heads poison your brains. Would spare you some embarrassments.
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:36 AM   #258
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

And let's not forget that Trump et al dialed back the language in the GOP platform concerning Ukraine. Which they lied about of course, as if God almighty made the edits.
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:41 AM   #259
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I find the compartmentalizing of this whole affair interesting. It seems a lot of people can only manage the current headline and aren't integrating it into the whole.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:41 AM   #260
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It's you who doesn't understand. What I described is what Flynn pleaded guilty to having lied about, it's what the Mueller investigation says was discussed.

You people should really learn to read primary sources instead of letting those talking heads poison your brains. Would spare you some embarrassments.
... says a poster who a few minutes earlier foisted opinion from Judicial Watch <guffaw> rather than identify whatever facts in the source documents are of import.
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:59 AM   #261
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

LOL, another thing that sensible people will not believe is that that's all there is to the story. For one thing, this particular conversation was months after the Russian dirty work was done and the Trump campaign was well aware that Russia had hacked the DNC and Podesta emails and wanted to help Trump win, so any quid pro quo agreement would have already been in place.

Here's where we've been, so far, with their version of the story:

We had nothing to do with Russia.

Okay, some people talked to Russians and lied about it, but we didn't talk about the sanctions or Hillary's emails so there was no collusion.

Okay, some people talked to Russians about sanctions and Hillary's emails and lied about it, but there was no collusion.

With new evidence about TrumpCo lies coming out virtually every week, there is no reason to think we're at the end, and in fact, with Flynn copping a plea, there is every reason to think we're only on about Chapter 4.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:03 AM   #262
logger
Suspended

LOL, another thing that sensible people will not believe is that that's all there is to the story. For one thing, this particular conversation was months after the Russian dirty work was done and the Trump campaign was well aware that Russia had hacked the DNC and Podesta emails and wanted to help Trump win, so any quid pro quo agreement would have already been in place.

Here's where we've been, so far, with their version of the story:

We had nothing to do with Russia.

Okay, some people talked to Russians and lied about it, but we didn't talk about the sanctions or Hillary's emails so there was no collusion.

Okay, some people talked to Russians about sanctions and Hillary's emails and lied about it, but there was no collusion.

With new evidence about TrumpCo lies coming out virtually every week, there is no reason to think we're at the end, and in fact, with Flynn copping a plea, there is every reason to think we're only on about Chapter 4.
Lol

New evidence?

What Flynn was charged with has been known for months.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:05 AM   #263
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
... says a poster who a few minutes earlier foisted opinion from Judicial Watch <guffaw> rather than identify whatever facts in the source documents are of import.
Ah, Judicial Watch has been responsible for getting government hidden information OUT on a host of issues. Naturally the left would would have spasms over that.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:07 AM   #264
logger
Suspended

Lol

Are you now agreeing with Dershowitz?
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:08 AM   #265
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Really? The (now ex) national security advisor to the POTUS lied to the FBI about his conversations with the official representative of a foreign power and that is a minor matter?
Ah, with respect to Russian collusion? Yes!
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:10 AM   #266
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Lol

New evidence?

What Flynn was charged with has been known for months.
We also know what he wasn't charged with, and we know why.
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:15 AM   #267
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, Judicial Watch has been responsible for getting government hidden information OUT on a host of issues. Naturally the left would would have spasms over that.
Getting information out? No problem.
Consuming said information? No problem.
Relying on Judicial Watch's editorializing about said information? Big problem.
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:44 PM   #268
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Getting information out? No problem.
Consuming said information? No problem.
Relying on Judicial Watch's editorializing about said information? Big problem.

You can identify the information.

You can consume the information.

But you can’t get past the editorializing. Got it.
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:01 PM   #269
kellyb
Philosopher

I think maybe what Russia got in return for helping Trump was to keep its client state, Syria.
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:58 PM   #270
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
We also know what he wasn't charged with, and we know why.
It's really telling that none of the Turkey stuff, unregistered foreign agent for them while being NSA, the kidnapping plot, the paid for oped, etc., isn't covered in the plea. There's clearly more to come.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 07:20 PM   #271
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I think maybe what Russia got in return for helping Trump was to keep its client state, Syria.
Definitely on the table, and easier to get away with than dropping sanctions.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 07:43 PM   #272
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It's really telling that none of the Turkey stuff, unregistered foreign agent for them while being NSA, the kidnapping plot, the paid for oped, etc., isn't covered in the plea. There's clearly more to come.
Yep. They'll take one away for every bit of info they get from the canary
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:13 PM   #273
BrooklynBaby
Critical Thinker

The way it works is if you tell the feds you had oatmeal for breakfast on a particular date 2 months ago, but told them yesterday you had Cream of Wheat, that is a felony, locked in and on tape. No way out. It is a false statement, and relevance to the investigation is irrelevant.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:26 PM   #274
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The way it works is if you tell the feds you had oatmeal for breakfast on a particular date 2 months ago, but told them yesterday you had Cream of Wheat, that is a felony, locked in and on tape. No way out. It is a false statement, and relevance to the investigation is irrelevant.
What you posted here is horse feces. I don't think anyone fell for it. Nice try, though.

Thanks for playing. You can go back to your Fox News forums now.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:43 PM   #275
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Baloney, the "way it works" is that a false statement must be about a "material fact" to be a prosecuted as a crime.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 3rd December 2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 4th December 2017, 12:35 AM   #276
kellyb
Philosopher

Oh, is that why Hillary's in jail over not knowing she accidentally sent a couple of technically classified documents through her private server? LOL
Old 4th December 2017, 07:21 AM   #277
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

You can identify the information.

You can consume the information.

But you can’t get past the editorializing. Got it.
We're not mind readers. When someone cites JW commentary, as opposed to the source documents, readers are unable to determine if the commentary is reasonable. Critical thinking 101, day one.
Old 4th December 2017, 07:23 AM   #278
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

And Dump is whining "what about Hillary" when it comes to Flynn.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 08:18 AM   #279
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

In what universe?
Old 4th December 2017, 09:03 AM   #280
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
In what universe?
The one in which you desperately want to downplay something that looks like the first of a bunch of dominoes falling.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics