ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Michael Flynn , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 6th December 2017, 12:52 AM   #321
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Youíre not understanding. Flynn has said this is ruining and bankrupting his family. Heís literally forced into this which is what this process is designed to do. Youíve obviously never gone up against people who have an unlimited amount of resources.
That would only make sense if he had been forced to lie to the FBI in the first place. If he is being ruined and his family is being bankrupted it is as a direct consequence of his choice I. e. he decided to lie to the FBI.
Old 6th December 2017, 01:06 AM   #322
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That would only make sense if he had been forced to lie to the FBI in the first place. If he is being ruined and his family is being bankrupted it is as a direct consequence of his choice I. e. he decided to lie to the FBI.
Flynn's complaint sounds like a person who has killed both his parents asking for a lenient sentence because he's a orphan.......

It never fails to amuse me how members of the party of personal responsibility in the country of self-reliance always seem to find someone else to blame for anything bad that happens to them.....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 01:13 AM   #323
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
These guys all seem to be blatant blunderers. Perhaps they just felt invulnerable.
Yeah. I think they really might have thought they'd joined the "completely above the law" crowd and behaved accordingly.
Old 6th December 2017, 03:43 AM   #324
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Flynn's complaint sounds like a person who has killed both his parents asking for a lenient sentence because he's a orphan.......

It never fails to amuse me how members of the party of personal responsibility in the country of self-reliance always seem to find someone else to blame for anything bad that happens to them.....
That analogy amuses me.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 03:45 AM   #325
logger
Philosopher

Yep he made a mistake, now itís time to ruin him. Got it.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 04:18 AM   #326
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It's pathetic how some are trying to make Flynn look like a victim instead of the felon that he is.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 04:29 AM   #327
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It's pathetic how some are trying to make Flynn look like a victim instead of the felon that he is.
He is a pretty strange choice of "persecuted underdog". Anyone who believes that his guilty plea is due to the disparity of resources between him and the prosecutors must presumably think that every guilty plea is similarly unsafe? One has to wonder how other people with fewer resources and who can't claim such powerful friends and acquaintances ever manage to plead 'Not Gulity' let alone (on occasion) be found innocent?
Old 6th December 2017, 04:39 AM   #328
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Republicans doing their "law and order" thing, just like they're doing their "morality" thing in Alabama and their "small government" thing with Trump.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:46 AM   #329
Aber
Graduate Poster

That would only make sense if he had been forced to lie to the FBI in the first place.
What fascinates me is that the FBI agents interviewing him would have had to keep straight faces while listening to him flatly deny what they had probably heard him say on tape.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:17 AM   #330
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
How could he fight them? There's no doubt he lied about these things. But there could be a reason for Mueller to get this off the table without much more attention to how the lying came about. If you have some time, here's a detailed argument along those lines. We'll see what happens but I'm pretty sure it will turn out that your opinion is based on flawed information.
If all he did was lie to another member of the administration for internal political reasons why repeat the lie to the FBI? They wouldn't care about that
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 06:09 AM   #331
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster

The whole point of pleading guilty?
Generally, people plead guilty either because they've reached an agreement with the prosecutor to receive a more lenient sentence in return for pleading guilty or because they've agreed to plead guilty to certain charges in return for other charges being dropped.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 06:28 AM   #332
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If you have had a few meetings with the Russian Ambassador a mistake would have been:
"Yes I met the Russian ambassador on the 24th, 26th and 30th May".
When it should have been:
"Yes I met the Russian ambassador on the 24th, 27th and 30th May".
A mistake is not:
"I never met the Russian ambassador"
It was his choice to decide to lie to the FBI, and yes that decision was a mistake, a mistake which has criminal ramifications.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:31 AM   #333
Cleon
King of the Pod People

It was his choice to decide to lie to the FBI, and yes that decision was a mistake, a mistake which has criminal ramifications.
What you're ignoring is the fact that only Democrats are criminals. If it's a Republican, it's not a crime, and if it was, it was the Democrats' fault. QED.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:54 AM   #334
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
What you're ignoring is the fact that only Democrats are criminals. If it's a Republican, it's not a crime, and if it was, it was the Democrats' Hillary Clinton's fault. QED.
FTFY
Old 6th December 2017, 07:16 AM   #335
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

If you have had a few meetings with the Russian Ambassador a mistake would have been:
"Yes I met the Russian ambassador on the 24th, 26th and 30th May".
When it should have been:
"Yes I met the Russian ambassador on the 24th, 27th and 30th May".
A mistake is not:
"I never met the Russian ambassador"
Sure it is, see Jeff Sessions. Minor mistakes like meeting with Russian ambasadors or not shouldn't ever be an issue even in sworn testimony. Next you will try to say lying under oath to congress should be illegal.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 07:20 AM   #336
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Sure it is, see Jeff Sessions.
Hense:
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
The Sessions Defense.
Old 6th December 2017, 07:34 AM   #337
Border Reiver
Philosopher

We do that to EVERY confessed criminal. Or do you think that all defence attorney's work gratis?
Old 6th December 2017, 08:52 AM   #338
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
We do that to EVERY confessed criminal. Or do you think that all defence attorney's work gratis?
One might think that the Republican Party is overly soft on crime by them trying to make Flynn's confession to a Federal felony into "He just made a little mistake. No big deal. Time to just move on." But this is just how the Republican Party is- a bunch of warm hearted folks willing to generously forgive people and move on to more important things. One can see that with how they have treated former Democratic candidates who not only have not confessed to crimes, but who have been investigated multiple times by multiple panels and organizations and found not guilty.

I agree that it is time to move on from Michael Flynn- and I believe that Mueller is doing so.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 09:04 AM   #339
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
If all he did was lie to another member of the administration for internal political reasons why repeat the lie to the FBI? They wouldn't care about that
The lie to the FBI doesn't even seem to make any sense.

I'm starting to lean towards Flynn simply being stupid.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 09:22 AM   #340
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
What fascinates me is that the FBI agents interviewing him would have had to keep straight faces while listening to him flatly deny what they had probably heard him say on tape.
At that moment one is probably well advised to be aligning every neuron available to studying every vocal inflection and nonverbal cue made so that when experienced in the future on a subject they don't already have evidence on, they'll be able to spot the lies.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:31 AM   #341
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

That seemed to be the Obama Administration's take on him. Hence the warning to Trump to not hire him.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:32 AM   #342
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
At that moment one is probably well advised to be aligning every neuron available to studying every vocal inflection and nonverbal cue made so that when experienced in the future on a subject they don't already have evidence on, they'll be able to spot the lies.
This is why they take notes during taped interviews. Focus on the notes.

It also helps in coming back to side issues, and wrapping things up, but it really helps you keep a straight face.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 01:21 PM   #343
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That seemed to be the Obama Administration's take on him. Hence the warning to Trump to not hire him.
No, the Obama administration illegally unmasked him.
Old 6th December 2017, 01:23 PM   #344
logger
Philosopher

Why it helps to have an attorney present. He was certainly stupid for not. But clearly they were dishonestly trying to trap him. The swamp has been trying to trap this whole administration, dumbasses for not seeing early on.
Old 6th December 2017, 01:25 PM   #345
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

How was firing Flynn "illegally unmask(ing) him"?
Old 6th December 2017, 02:56 PM   #346
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

What was the highlighted referring to?

If you think that Obama did not warn Tump you may want to consider that Spicer confirmed it and Fox News reported it.

Old 6th December 2017, 03:28 PM   #347
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Entirely possible.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 04:23 PM   #348
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Whistleblower says Flynn texted people during the inauguration that the sanctions on Russia would soon "be ripped up", and a deal with Russia building nuclear reactors in the Mid East was "good to go".

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 04:42 PM   #349
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Entirely possible.
Hubris and arrogance (especially when you're surrounded by it) can make the otherwise intelligent be like that.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:52 PM   #350
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Has nobody done a Downfall parody of recent events yet? Maybe starting at the point the bunker lost contact with Flynn's lawyers.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 04:55 PM   #351
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Has nobody done a Downfall parody of recent events yet? Maybe starting at the point the bunker lost contact with Flynn's lawyers.
Doing a Downfall parody of Trump seems...I dunno. Unecessary?

I mean...wouldn't it just be Trumpertantrum's tweets as the subtitles?
Old 6th December 2017, 05:37 PM   #352
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Whistleblower says Flynn texted people during the inauguration that the sanctions on Russia would soon "be ripped up", and a deal with Russia building nuclear reactors in the Mid East was "good to go".
What a dickhead. Who texts during the inauguration?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 06:03 PM   #353
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Youíre not understanding. Flynn has said this is ruining and bankrupting his family. Heís literally forced into this which is what this process is designed to do. Youíve obviously never gone up against people who have an unlimited amount of resources.
The I guess it is too bad that both you and Flynn are not aware of the very old adage which is quite well known by police officers and convicted felons:

"If you can't do the time,

then don't do the crime."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 06:33 PM   #354
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
The I guess it is too bad that both you and Flynn are not aware of the very old adage which is quite well known by police officers and convicted felons:

"If you can't do the time,

then don't do the crime."
Luckily for him, heíll get a pardon.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:56 PM   #355
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I suspect you haven't looked very closely. Follow the money, Flynn was paid by RT (a proxy for Russia) and the Turkish government. This isn't just about who he spoke to and then lied about speaking to.

There are quid pro quos here from money laundering payoffs, to ending sanctions to opening up the Arctic Wildlife Preserve to oil drilling and even fracking according to the news today.

And this:

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th December 2017 at 07:00 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 07:25 PM   #356
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
What was the highlighted referring to?

If you think that Obama did not warn Tump you may want to consider that Spicer confirmed it and Fox News reported it.
You say that, and you back it up with evidence, but that's not how this works anymore. Make up some off the wall ****, then you'll be closer.

ďThere are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.Ē - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 08:49 PM   #357
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What a dickhead. Who texts during the inauguration?

Gloating.

You know. Like the way the super-villain pontificates about the genius of his plan just as it is all coming to fruition?

Of course, we all know what happens right after that.

Old 6th December 2017, 10:52 PM   #358
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yes, the planned kidnapping didn't happen and was a minor thing anyway.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 10:55 PM   #359
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
lips are moving?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:28 PM   #360
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Luckily for him, heíll get a pardon.
Yeah, I don't think that even Trump is that stupid.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics