ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:47 PM   #1
jt512
Graduate Poster

Math experts: What is the value of this expression?

This is from a mathematics qualification pre-test from an on-line physics course. I'm not sure I agree with the official answer. I'm curious what you all think?

What is the value of the following expression?

jt512 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:56 PM   #2
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jt512 View Post
This is from a mathematics qualification pre-test from an on-line physics course. I'm not sure I agree with the official answer. I'm curious what you all think?

The first summation gives (j + k + 3) + (j + k + 4) = 2j + 2k +7

The second gives (2j + 4 + 7) + ( 2j + 6 + 7) = 4j + 24

and the last gives (4 + 24) + (8 + 24) = 60
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 12:01 AM   #3
Clive
Critical Thinker

Python agrees:

Code:
>>> total = 0
>>> for j in (1,2):
...    for k in (2,3):
...       for l in (3,4):
...          total += j + k + l
>>> total

Last edited by Clive; 2nd December 2017 at 12:03 AM. Reason: put code in code block!
Clive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 12:07 AM   #4
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

So you're saying that Jabba is numerically immortal?

Last edited by John Jones; 2nd December 2017 at 12:11 AM.
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 12:23 AM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I'm going to say that the sum j+k+l for l=3 to 4 boils down to:

2j+2k+7

If we sum that for k=2 to 3 we get:

2j+4+7+2j+6+7

Or 4j+24

Now summing for j=1 to 2 we get:

28+32=60
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 12:25 AM   #6
Clive
Critical Thinker

Shortest answer?

Averages of each range (1-2, 2-3, 3-4) are 1.5, 2.5, 3.5. Sum of those is 7.5. Eight combinations summed and 8 x 7.5 = 60.
Clive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

There's three sigma symbols in the equation, and twenty symbols total. 3*20 = 60.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:42 PM   #8
Clive
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
There's three sigma symbols in the equation, and twenty symbols total. 3*20 = 60.
Funny, but let's say we change the ranges for each sigma so that instead of 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 we're summing over (say) 1-5, 3-7, and 5-9.

Averages for the three new ranges are 3, 5, 7 which sum to 15. And there are 5 x 5 x 5 = 125 combinations. 125 x 15 = 1875.

Using averages like this works because fundamentally everything we'e doing is addition and addition is also commutative, and finally the sigma operation is spanning a uniform range of values...

But there are still 20 symbols. Hmm.... waiting for your new "answer"! ;-)
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:50 PM   #9
Hans
Philosopher

May I ask a historical question?

The symbols in that mathematical equation when would they have come into existence? Or put another way how far back in time could you go and still have an educated man understand that equation?

I'm asking because I am thinking of stealing that for a book but it is set in 1839 and would that be possible to write at that time?

Thanks
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 05:35 PM   #10
Clive
Critical Thinker

According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...tical_notation) Euler used capital sigma for summation, and Euler lived in the 18th century so it seems you would be in good company to be using that notation in 1839. Euler was born in 1707 and died in 1783.
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:40 AM   #11
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Clive View Post
According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...tical_notation) Euler used capital sigma for summation, and Euler lived in the 18th century so it seems you would be in good company to be using that notation in 1839. Euler was born in 1707 and died in 1783.
Thanks - math history is not one of the things I've concentrated on, I would not have known how to look that up!

Last edited by Hans; 3rd December 2017 at 12:46 AM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:51 AM   #12
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Clive View Post
Python agrees:

Code:
>>> total = 0
>>> for j in (1,2):
...    for k in (2,3):
...       for l in (3,4):
...          total += j + k + l
>>> total

Pshaw! If it isn't written in GW-BASIC then it isn't true.

ETA If you want to do the sum by hand then the working out is
(1+2+3) + (1+2+4) + (1+3+3) + (1+3+4) + (2+2+3) + (2+2+4) + (2+3+3) + (2+3+4) = 60

Last edited by psionl0; 3rd December 2017 at 01:03 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:29 AM   #13
Myriad
Hyperthetical

If I really needed it for something, I suppose I'd pay a few bucks for it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology