ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:32 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I had to go to the hospital with asthma last night.

I tried to fight the attack off by myself but Symbicort and albuterol were not helping. I called an ambulance and they took me to the hospital. I was injected with two drugs and I had two breathing treatments.

One drug that they did not give me was epinephrine. That drug used to be the standard medicine they used. A dose of epinephrine and a tranquilizer would knock asthma out and you could go home. Later on they used less epinephrine but these days they have stopped altogether.

They said they stopped because the drug induces high blood pressure and my blood pressure at the time was well above the stroke level. Nowadays instead of going to your doctor, getting a shot and going home are things of the past. I was in the hospital for four hours.

Getting back to the epinephrine. The doctor told me that the drug would not treat asthma just cases of anaphylactic shock or the like. I didn't say anything but from personal experience, the drug does indeed stop even a severe attack in its tracks. Did the young doctor not know this or was she trying to discourage me from using my epi pen?
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

A quick review of the literature agrees with the ED doc. Only one source noted the EMS responder might give epi in the field for very severe attacks until the patient can be transported to the hospital.

I hope you have recovered OK.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology