ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 6th December 2017, 04:21 AM   #121
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 40,317
Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Donald. Trump.
No apparently he is excluded because he is a compulsive liar who can not ever tell the truth, so we have to discount his statements and the testimony of the women who says he did what he says he did. Because he is physically incapable of telling the truth, if he did he body would literally explode. THis is why it is important to never have him give sworn testimony because he would have to commit perjury.

Not sure why this is seen as a positive thing by his supporters though.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 04:34 AM   #122
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cymru
Posts: 23,167
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
No apparently he is excluded because he is a compulsive liar who can not ever tell the truth, so we have to discount his statements and the testimony of the women who says he did what he says he did. Because he is physically incapable of telling the truth, if he did he body would literally explode. THis is why it is important to never have him give sworn testimony because he would have to commit perjury.

Not sure why this is seen as a positive thing by his supporters though.
Apparently it's only a lie if you know it's a lie

In President Trump's case it may be that he really does believe what he's saying at any particular point in time. If yesterday he said something different it's because yesterday he believed something different was true - and he has no recollection of saying yesterday that something else was true.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:04 AM   #123
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 40,317
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Apparently it's only a lie if you know it's a lie
I am still kind of shocked that "he is a habitual liar" is their defense for their chosen president.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:11 AM   #124
erlando
Graduate Poster
 
erlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,329
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I am still kind of shocked that "he is a habitual liar" is their defense for their chosen president.
That along with "he doesn't know better" should not be on your "This is ok for a president"-list.
__________________
"If it can grow, it can evolve" - Eugenie Scott, Ph.D Creationism disproved?
Evolution IS a blind watchmaker
erlando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:20 AM   #125
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15,394
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Not a strawman. Maybe a false dilemma, but I didn't see that at the time. I wasn't really arguing against your post, as you made it quite clear you consider Moore a creep, but not all teenagers who want to be sexual are ready to be sexual. It's the grown man who's supposed to know better. Shouldn't be up to the 14-year-old, or even the 16-year-old, to stop him from going too far.

I responded as I did because it is an aspect of teen sexuality you might have overlooked. Culture may make a difference. Maybe there is less of a shame factor in Sweden, maybe the power differential isn't as pronounced. Maybe Swedish women have fewer abandonment issues, have higher self-esteem, are less susceptible to exploitation, etc. I don't reject your view; I just think that U.S. culture may make these liaisons more fraught than they are in Scandinavia.

My 15-year-old friend said she thought she'd had sex with Dennis Hopper. She knew there had been a sexual act, but wasn't sure the guy was really Dennis Hopper. She said how nice he was, telling her what to do and everything. I knew another 15-year-old (maybe a year older) who thought a boy must love her because when other guys were lining up to **** her, he didn't want his turn to end. I don't mean to disrespect your opinion but much of what I've seen regarding teenagers and older men did involve some degree of exploitation ... even if the ephebe (or whatever) was a willing participant.
(Edit: On second thought, I deleted lengthy elaboration on the semantic side issue in order to help returning to disussion of RNC)

By the way: My user name is Norwegian, but I am German. My catholic real first name patron saint was a Swedish bishop though
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)

Last edited by Oystein; 6th December 2017 at 05:28 AM.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 07:44 AM   #126
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,941
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
By the way: My user name is Norwegian, but I am German. My catholic real first name patron saint was a Swedish bishop though
St. Henrik?
__________________
"The presidentís voracious sexual appetite is the elephant that the president rides around on each and every day while pretending that it doesnít exist." - Bill O'Reilly et al., Killing Kennedy
TubbaBlubba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 08:53 AM   #127
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,486
[...]

Last edited by theprestige; 6th December 2017 at 08:54 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 10:09 AM   #128
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26,090
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Apparently it's only a lie if you know it's a lie

In President Trump's case it may be that he really does believe what he's saying at any particular point in time. If yesterday he said something different it's because yesterday he believed something different was true - and he has no recollection of saying yesterday that something else was true.


Ah, yes, the Costanza Defence.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 10:25 AM   #129
Segnosaur
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 9,613
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
There was a poster on the other thread who said Moore would be a huge gift to the Democrats but I just don't see it. Many Republican leaders may despise Moore but they are biting the bullet, and looking on the bright side.

Jeff Flake actually donated $100 to the Jones campaign. It's possible I suppose that there could be a backlash among Alabama voters who don't approve of Moore. Not holding my breath though.
I think the "huge gift" was not necessarily in the Alabama senate race (Alabama may be too far gone to actually function as a civilized society), but in elections in parts of the country that aren't so culturally backwards.

Imagine the ads in places like Pennsylvania (a swing state that went for Trump last election)... "Do you really want to place your vote for a party that supports child molesters in the senate?" That might be enough to swing at least a few voters.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 10:46 AM   #130
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,319
I get the semantic argument, but common usage and the medical terminology are evolving. Per Merriam Webster's "Medical Dictionary" :

pedophilia: sexual perversion in which children are the preferred sexual object

I think the drift is in part due to the common usage, but also due to the root being associated with the same root for pediatrician.

In other words, that argument has been lost. Language changes, not always to the point of increasing clarity.
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:12 AM   #131
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,045
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I like this thread. It has unmasked several of the "thinking" conservatives as rabid partisans willing to have a child molester elected to Senate simply because he's a Republican. Kinda removes any moral high ground they want to claim in future discussions.
I'd love to hear a Moore supporter explain what evil they think a Democrat will do if one's elected that they'd sooner vote for a child-molester.

"Of course I'd vote for a child-molester before a Democrat! Those Democrats are evil, I tells ya, evil! They might even be child-molesters!"
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:24 AM   #132
Giz
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,769
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I'd love to hear a Moore supporter explain what evil they think a Democrat will do if one's elected that they'd sooner vote for a child-molester.

"Of course I'd vote for a child-molester before a Democrat! Those Democrats are evil, I tells ya, evil! They might even be child-molesters!"
To be fair, Moore is a strong 2nd amendment supporter and you do want to be able to lay hands on a shotgun when 32 year olds start chasing your 14 year old daughter.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:46 AM   #133
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,045
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
To be fair, Moore is a strong 2nd amendment supporter and you do want to be able to lay hands on a shotgun when 32 year olds start chasing your 14 year old daughter.
In that light the last thing Moore should support is the right to bear arms.
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:50 AM   #134
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26,090
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I'd love to hear a Moore supporter explain what evil they think a Democrat will do if one's elected that they'd sooner vote for a child-molester.

"Of course I'd vote for a child-molester before a Democrat! Those Democrats are evil, I tells ya, evil! They might even be child-molesters!"


Oh, that's easy.
  1. Democrats support the Gay Agenda
  2. Part of The Gay Agenda is to normalize perversion, including pedophilia
  3. Thus, support for the Democrats will increase pedophilia in society
  4. So, by supporting this one pedophile, we significantly reduce the number of future pedophiles.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:52 AM   #135
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 14,126
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I'd love to hear a Moore supporter explain what evil they think a Democrat will do if one's elected that they'd sooner vote for a child-molester.
Murder babies, using those exact words. You can't make this stuff up.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:57 AM   #136
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 19,668
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
To be fair, Moore is a strong 2nd amendment supporter and you do want to be able to lay hands on a shotgun when 32 year olds start chasing your 14 year old daughter.

That's just for the wedding.

After all, every mother wants their daughter to marry a lawyer.

And having a DA for a SIL can come in handy, too.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:58 AM   #137
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing
 
Polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,045
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Murder babies, using those exact words. You can't make this stuff up.
Well, I did ask for it...
__________________
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 12:10 PM   #138
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions
 
Beerina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,063
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I'd love to hear a Moore supporter explain what evil they think a Democrat will do if one's elected that they'd sooner vote for a child-molester.

"Of course I'd vote for a child-molester before a Democrat! Those Democrats are evil, I tells ya, evil! They might even be child-molesters!"

A forgiven-by-God child molester before an unrepentant baby killer.

You can't play the game without a card.


Much of the argumentation in this thread is basically CNN-standard-talking-head, where the presumption is that, once exposed as a pig, obviously people will reject him.
__________________
"Great innovations should not be forced [by way of] slender majorities." - Thomas Jefferson

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 6th December 2017 at 12:17 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 12:59 PM   #139
WilliamSeger
Master Poster
 
WilliamSeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,433
Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
A forgiven-by-God child molester before an unrepentant baby killer.
That's a good point -- or it might be if he had asked for forgiveness. It does however point to an aspect of right-wing religiousity that a lot of liberals miss: their justification of apparent hypocrisy. It isn't the fact that non-Christians are sinners that offends them -- they expect that everyone is sinful -- the offense is not praying to the right god for absolution.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 01:12 PM   #140
Planigale
Master Poster
 
Planigale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,434
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
An important point, as there are pedophiles who don't act on their urges. But the controversy in this thread is the word "pedophile" vs. ephebophile or whatever is the term for attraction for children not long past puberty.

ETA: These posts probably belong in another thread. I try to bring it back to the RNC but don't always succeed.

ETA2: This article from Politico helps
if we are being really nitpicking aren't pedophiles foot fetishists surely we mean paedophiles? (Yes I know few in the US have a proper education in the classical languages and cannot cope with dipthongs.)
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:47 PM   #141
autumn1971
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,078
One thing I am getting annoyed about is the supporters of Jones pointing out his successful prosecution of the KKK members who bombed that church.
That is not a good thing to a huge majority of white Alabamans.
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:51 AM   #142
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cymru
Posts: 23,167
The whole paedophile/hebophile/ehebophile conversation once again demonstrates a fundamental difference between "leftists" who are easily distracted into bickering among themselves about the correct term to use whilst the heat of the accusation itself dissipates and "rightists" who don't care what the correct term is and likely don't know the last two terms but who are convinced that the accused is "A CHILD MOLESTER - LOCK THEM UP !!!"

In today's soundbite world where the change from 140 to 280 characters for the maximum length of a tweet now makes many far too wordy for the mass audience, "rightists" are always going to be better at getting their message across because whether or not it is accurate, it's easily understood, unambiguous and easy to consume.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:05 AM   #143
erlando
Graduate Poster
 
erlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,329
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
if we are being really nitpicking aren't pedophiles foot fetishists surely we mean paedophiles? (Yes I know few in the US have a proper education in the classical languages and cannot cope with dipthongs.)
Oh, SNAP!
__________________
"If it can grow, it can evolve" - Eugenie Scott, Ph.D Creationism disproved?
Evolution IS a blind watchmaker
erlando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:08 AM   #144
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,062
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The whole paedophile/hebophile/ehebophile conversation once again demonstrates a fundamental difference between "leftists" who are easily distracted into bickering among themselves about the correct term to use whilst the heat of the accusation itself dissipates and "rightists" who don't care what the correct term is and likely don't know the last two terms but who are convinced that the accused is "A CHILD MOLESTER - LOCK THEM UP !!!"

In today's soundbite world where the change from 140 to 280 characters for the maximum length of a tweet now makes many far too wordy for the mass audience, "rightists" are always going to be better at getting their message across because whether or not it is accurate, it's easily understood, unambiguous and easy to consume.
Unless I'm missing some sarcasm, you've got this the wrong way around.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:22 AM   #145
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cymru
Posts: 23,167
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Unless I'm missing some sarcasm, you've got this the wrong way around.
Sorry if I wasn't being clear - no sarcasm intended.

If a Democratic Party candidate had been accused of molesting a 14 year old, "rightists" wouldn't have spent a week bickering among themselves about whether the person was, strictly speaking, a paedophile, hebophile or ehebophile. Instead they would have simply been chanting that the accused is "A CHILD MOLESTER - LOCK THEM UP !!!".
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:42 AM   #146
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,062
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Sorry if I wasn't being clear - no sarcasm intended.

If a Democratic Party candidate had been accused of molesting a 14 year old, "rightists" wouldn't have spent a week bickering among themselves about whether the person was, strictly speaking, a paedophile, hebophile or ehebophile. Instead they would have simply been chanting that the accused is "A CHILD MOLESTER - LOCK THEM UP !!!".
Leftists didn't really do that.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:59 AM   #147
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cymru
Posts: 23,167
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Leftists didn't really do that.
They/we have done this in this very thread
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:01 AM   #148
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,062
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
They/we have done this in this very thread
I see a few people doing that, most of whom aren't leftists.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:12 AM   #149
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cymru
Posts: 23,167
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I see a few people doing that, most of whom aren't leftists.
I guess there are none so blind as those who will not see.....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 07:10 AM   #150
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15,394
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I see a few people doing that, most of whom aren't leftists.
For the record, I did that, and on the US spectrum I'm goddamned lefty.
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 07:42 AM   #151
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator
 
W.D.Clinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,259
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
No apparently he is excluded because he is a compulsive liar who can not ever tell the truth, so we have to discount his statements and the testimony of the women who says he did what he says he did. Because he is physically incapable of telling the truth, if he did he body would literally explode. THis is why it is important to never have him give sworn testimony because he would have to commit perjury.

Not sure why this is seen as a positive thing by his supporters though.
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Apparently it's only a lie if you know it's a lie

In President Trump's case it may be that he really does believe what he's saying at any particular point in time. If yesterday he said something different it's because yesterday he believed something different was true - and he has no recollection of saying yesterday that something else was true.

Willful dementia.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:16 AM   #152
Cleon
King of the Pod People
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25,147
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
For the record, I did that, and on the US spectrum I'm goddamned lefty.
By US standards, so is Boris Johnson.
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:35 AM   #153
Border Reiver
Philosopher
 
Border Reiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,091
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
For the record, I did that, and on the US spectrum I'm goddamned lefty.
By current US standards Bismark, Roosevelt, Lincoln, MacDonald and Churchill are lefties.
__________________
Questions, comments, queries, bitches, complaints, rude gestures and/or remarks?
Border Reiver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:39 AM   #154
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,085
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Heh. After decades of being demonized by the Left as the worst kind of monsters, the right has finally decided that they no longer give a ****. And so the left, having successfully divided the nation into "us" and "them", have now discovered that "they" are immune to the left's moralizing.

The left, unable to effectively strike at targets on the right, have no choice but to eat their own. It didn't used to be this way. Bill Clinton would be burned at the stake now, for no other reason than the witch hunters can't get to Trump.
Therefore, having been demonized as a child molester, it's really the Dems fault if Moore decides to start molesting (more) children.

Wait...
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:46 AM   #155
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 19,668
Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
By current US standards Bismark, Roosevelt, Lincoln, MacDonald and Churchill are lefties.

By current U.S. standards Eisenhower was definitely a lefty, Nixon was probably one, and Reagan's right-wing status is slipping fast.

Bush the Elder is starting to list a little bit to port, too.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."

Last edited by quadraginta; 7th December 2017 at 08:48 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:00 PM   #156
eeyore1954
Philosopher
 
eeyore1954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,069
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I'd love to hear a Moore supporter explain what evil they think a Democrat will do if one's elected that they'd sooner vote for a child-molester.

"Of course I'd vote for a child-molester before a Democrat! Those Democrats are evil, I tells ya, evil! They might even be child-molesters!"
I am not a Moore supporter but I also would want any future Supreme Court confirmations under President Trump to be anti abortion. I would feel if I was in Alabama it is better to vote for Moore because of this reason.

I would weigh these factors and choose the lesser of two evils.
Moore is alleged to have molested a 14 year old but I believe if the opportunity presented itself would vote for a Justice who in my mind might save a 100,000 lives.

I would hope if the evidence against him becomes strong about the 14 year old or the alleged rape the Senate would remove him. Maybe a false hope but I don't think so in today's climate.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 7th December 2017 at 12:01 PM.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:04 PM   #157
lobosrul5
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
By current U.S. standards Eisenhower was definitely a lefty, Nixon was probably one, and Reagan's right-wing status is slipping fast.

Bush the Elder is starting to list a little bit to port, too.
If Reagan wasn't right enough, then HW Bush certainly isn't either. "Voodoo Economics"?

Nixon was practically a pinko-lefty-socialist by today's standard. I hear how terrible Carter's wage and price controls were... Nixon did it first. He also went to China and brokered a deal to get us out of Vietnam.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:15 PM   #158
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,298
Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I am not a Moore supporter but I also would want any future Supreme Court confirmations under President Trump to be anti abortion. I would feel if I was in Alabama it is better to vote for Moore because of this reason.

I would weigh these factors and choose the lesser of two evils.
Moore is alleged to have molested a 14 year old but I believe if the opportunity presented itself would vote for a Justice who in my mind might save a 100,000 lives.

I would hope if the evidence against him becomes strong about the 14 year old or the alleged rape the Senate would remove him. Maybe a false hope but I don't think so in today's climate.
McConnell has pretty much said that he will have proceedings to expel Moore started the moment Moore is sworn in.

Quote:
“If he were to be sworn in, he would immediately be in a process before the Senate Ethics Committee,” McConnell said at a Wall Street Journal event. “He would be sworn in and be asked to testify under oath and it would be a rather unusual beginning, probably an unprecedented beginning.”
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...pulsion-244907
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 7th December 2017 at 12:16 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:47 PM   #159
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 11,379
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
McConnell has pretty much said that he will have proceedings to expel Moore started the moment Moore is sworn in.



https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...pulsion-244907
That was over two weeks ago. I expect now Turtle-face is going to conveniently forget what he said and embrace the child molester fully.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:18 PM   #160
crescent
Graduate Poster
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,824
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
That was over two weeks ago. I expect now Turtle-face is going to conveniently forget what he said and embrace the child molester fully.
Or, at most, McConnell will work to limit the scope of the ethics investigation, while he and most of the other GOPers welcome Moore with open arms. We'll see a month or two or stand-offish behavior, followed by the usual photo-ops of belly laughs and back-slaps.

I think it is very naive to assume that the Senate Republicans will be hostile to Moore. He's likely to win, and nothing else matters to them anymore.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.