ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 7th December 2017, 01:20 PM   #161
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,345
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/doug-jo...ore-racist-ad/

Jones may have given them an opening...
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:20 PM   #162
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,094
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
That was over two weeks ago. I expect now Turtle-face is going to conveniently forget what he said and embrace the child molester fully.
There's every chance he'd follow through. There would be no Senate loyalty to Moore, and if Alabama would elect a child molester because he's a Republican then the seat is almost certainly safe.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:49 PM   #163
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,137
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
So one can't even correct the technical use of a term without being said to defend child molestation?

Is that what passes as skepticism and reason these days?
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
It's irrational to assume that this is what's going on without any justification.

The "pedophile" accusation is a pet peeve of mine and I keep correcting people on it, and yet it's not a deflection when I do, any more than correcting someone's grammar is a deflection of their point.
Hey I gotta an idea! Let us make up some term that portions out the murder-by-gunshot-to-the-head-of-a-postal-worker-near-a-fire-hydrant and call it "Postalhydroballisticide" then yell at people whenever they use the term "murder" which will now no longer somehow be relevant by the magic invention of this new term that perhaps had some utility in very arrow professional research into the subject and not an excuse to elect people that shoot postal workers in the head near fire hydrants because they are no longer murderers!

Get on this folks!
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:18 PM   #164
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,017
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
That was over two weeks ago. I expect now Turtle-face is going to conveniently forget what he said and embrace the child molester fully.
He already backtracked. If Alabama decides they want a child molester to represent them; they're going to have a child molester represent them.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:27 PM   #165
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,094
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
He already backtracked. If Alabama decides they want a child molester to represent them; they're going to have a child molester represent them.
How the **** do these people sleep at night? A small mistake can make me feel bad enough to perseverate on it days later. Acting so completely amorally would keep me up at night for the next year or more.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 7th December 2017 at 03:02 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:27 PM   #166
BrooklynBaby
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 462
Orwell got it wrong about Big Brother. He had no idea Big Brother would turn out to be a bunch of progressives linked together by the internet running two-minute hate-a-thons 24/7 against anyone who ends up in their crosshairs, destroying people on demand without any due process, and generating fake news by the gigabyte daily, with Winston nowhere to be found.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:39 PM   #167
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 16,587
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Orwell got it wrong about Big Brother. He had no idea Big Brother would turn out to be a bunch of progressives linked together by the internet running two-minute hate-a-thons 24/7 against anyone who ends up in their crosshairs, destroying people on demand without any due process, and generating fake news by the gigabyte daily, with Winston nowhere to be found.
Yeah, who'd a thought that the right would be the ones running as fast as possible from morality?

The right was the one who tried to play the "moral majority" game. And then quit it was soon as it came around to bite them on the ass.
__________________
I have a permanent room at the Home for the Chronically Groovy - Floyd from the Muppets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:42 PM   #168
kellyb
Philosopher
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,964
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Orwell got it wrong about Big Brother. He had no idea Big Brother would turn out to be a bunch of progressives linked together by the internet running two-minute hate-a-thons 24/7 against anyone who ends up in their crosshairs, destroying people on demand without any due process, and generating fake news by the gigabyte daily, with Winston nowhere to be found.
Poe's law is in full effect here.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
kellyb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:57 PM   #169
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 11,379
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Orwell got it wrong about Big Brother. He had no idea Big Brother would turn out to be a bunch of progressives linked together by the internet running two-minute hate-a-thons 24/7 against anyone who ends up in their crosshairs, destroying people on demand without any due process, and generating fake news by the gigabyte daily, with Winston nowhere to be found.
Would you kindly explain what the above attempt at edgy mcedgyman has to do with the child molester that the GOP is warmly embracing and who likely win the election because GOP voters just don't care if their rep is sexual predator?
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:00 PM   #170
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,017
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
How the **** do these people sleep at night? A small mistake can me feel bad enough to perseverate on it days later. Acting so completely amorally would keep me up at night for the next year or more.
It gets worse.

Quote:
In response to a question from one of the only African Americans in the audience — who asked when Moore thought America was last "great" -- Moore acknowledged the nation's history of racial divisions, but said: "I think it was great at the time when families were united -- even though we had slavery -- they cared for one another…. Our families were strong, our country had a direction."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:05 PM   #171
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,342
Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
a Justice who in my mind might save a 100,000 lives.
You mean tell 100,000 women that they have no right of control over what happens to their own bodies. Yup, because women are property of men and always will be, they're just disguising it more these days....
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:38 PM   #172
ahhell
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 662
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Pure assertion. The "left" - or to be more accurate, the "Democrats" - have been feasting on each others' still-beating hearts for decades, all of them within my living recollection and a few before that, if you count the Roosevelt years.

The right is immune to the left's moralizing because the right has proved to be amoral and would elect a tin of Campbell's Pork 'N Beans as long as it wasn't a Democrat. The President and the RNC are political sluts.
Man, I love this. Folks on the right refer to each other as cucks and RINOS, the current president is the last guy in the primary that the GOP leadership wanted there but its the Dems that have been eating each other's hearts.

And yes, conservatives have been demonizes as haters, bigots, and fascists for as long as I've been alive, the just don't listen to those accusations anymore.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:12 PM   #173
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Next door to Florida Man, world's worst superhero.
Posts: 14,980
The new Alabama State Motto, "Come on over and **** my underage daughter. Just don't get her an abortion if you knock her up".
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:14 PM   #174
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Next door to Florida Man, world's worst superhero.
Posts: 14,980
Vote Roy Moore, because technically, 14 is not pedophilia.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:16 PM   #175
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,017
RNC: 'We Warned You Gay Marriage Would Be A Slippery Slope Toward Accepting Pedophilia'
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 12:45 AM   #176
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 22,584
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/doug-jo...ore-racist-ad/

Jones may have given them an opening...
Do you think that ad is racist?

I think they were trying to point out a double standard.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 01:25 AM   #177
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,094
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Do you think that ad is racist?

I think they were trying to point out a double standard.
I know you weren't asking me, but I think they attempted to make the point in just about the sloppiest, most condescending manner possible...and, yeah, I think it can reasonably be called racist. It's even grammatically problematic, which is part of the condescension factor.

Treating voters like they're dumb in the process of advertising to them is never going to go over well, even if the race card isn't being played.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 8th December 2017 at 01:27 AM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 01:26 AM   #178
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12,010
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Do you think that ad is racist?

I think they were trying to point out a double standard.
I think racist is stretching it, but it is certainly tone deaf. I wonder how many black people were involved in designing it.
__________________
"The president’s voracious sexual appetite is the elephant that the president rides around on each and every day while pretending that it doesn’t exist." - Bill O'Reilly et al., Killing Kennedy
TubbaBlubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 01:28 AM   #179
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12,010
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I know you weren't asking me, but I think they did it in just about the sloppiest, most condescending manner possible...and, yeah, I think it can reasonably be called racist. It's even grammatically problematic, which is part of the condescension factor.

Treating voters like they're dumb in the process of advertising to them is never going to go over well, even if the race card wasn't being played.
It really screams "Room full of old white guys design ad for 'the Negro vote'".
__________________
"The president’s voracious sexual appetite is the elephant that the president rides around on each and every day while pretending that it doesn’t exist." - Bill O'Reilly et al., Killing Kennedy

Last edited by TubbaBlubba; 8th December 2017 at 01:37 AM.
TubbaBlubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 01:51 AM   #180
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,082
Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I am not a Moore supporter but I also would want any future Supreme Court confirmations under President Trump to be anti abortion. I would feel if I was in Alabama it is better to vote for Moore because of this reason.

I would weigh these factors and choose the lesser of two evils.
Moore is alleged to have molested a 14 year old but I believe if the opportunity presented itself would vote for a Justice who in my mind might save a 100,000 lives.

I would hope if the evidence against him becomes strong about the 14 year old or the alleged rape the Senate would remove him. Maybe a false hope but I don't think so in today's climate.
So you're more ok with your senator sexually preying on children after they are born than him saying "it's a woman's choice". Good to know that my perceptions of GOP morality are affirmed.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 8th December 2017 at 02:13 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 02:12 AM   #181
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,082
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Man, I love this. Folks on the right refer to each other as cucks and RINOS, the current president is the last guy in the primary that the GOP leadership wanted there but its the Dems that have been eating each other's hearts.

And yes, conservatives have been demonizes as haters, bigots, and fascists for as long as I've been alive, the just don't listen to those accusations anymore.
They should, because the accusations are true.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 02:55 AM   #182
Mumbles
Illuminator
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,765
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/doug-jo...ore-racist-ad/

Jones may have given them an opening...
I noticed that people get very angry at this sort of thing.

They never answer the question, though.

(And if you read this post, you're too late.)

Last edited by Mumbles; 8th December 2017 at 03:01 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 03:01 AM   #183
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,082
I don't see anything racist about that ad. I think it asks a poignant question, and the implication is very true. If Roy Moore had been anything other than a white man with ostensibly Christian conservative views, he would have been tarred and feathered by now, and quite possibly in jail. Moore's privilige is keeping him in the race.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 03:08 AM   #184
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,955
It's just another way of pointing out that what some in Alabama don't like about Jones is that he is a race-traitor for going after the KKK.
__________________
“I don’t believe in astrology; I’m a Sagittarius and we’re skeptical.” - Arthur C. Clarke
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 03:08 AM   #185
Mumbles
Illuminator
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,765
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I don't see anything racist about that ad. I think it asks a poignant question, and the implication is very true. If Roy Moore had been anything other than a white man with ostensibly Christian conservative views, he woul have been tarred and feathered by now, and quite possibly in jail. Moore's privilige is keeping him in the race.
Let's put it this way. Obama was attacked for:

Not presenting his birth certificate, when he had and no other presient had;
Wearing a tan suit;
Expressing sympathy to the (black) parents whose son ha been shot an killed while walking home from the store (and if you think that Martin was enraged and attacked Zimmerman, you're part of the problem);
Having the anti-violence rapper Common at a poetry reading because conservatives thought he was a thug - see the above link;
Saying that maybe police shouldn't lay siege to entire neighborhoods for weeks at a time;

And I can go on for a while. Imagine, as many black people have, if he had almost certainly tried to rape someone and had molested a child.

Anyone think R. Kelly will ever get into a federal office?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 03:14 AM   #186
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cymru
Posts: 23,218
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Let's put it this way. Obama was attacked for:

Not presenting his birth certificate, when he had and no other presient had;
Wearing a tan suit;
Expressing sympathy to the (black) parents whose son ha been shot an killed while walking home from the store (and if you think that Martin was enraged and attacked Zimmerman, you're part of the problem);
Having the anti-violence rapper Common at a poetry reading because conservatives thought he was a thug - see the above link;
Saying that maybe police shouldn't lay siege to entire neighborhoods for weeks at a time;

And I can go on for a while. Imagine, as many black people have, if he had almost certainly tried to rape someone and had molested a child.

Anyone think R. Kelly will ever get into a federal office?
Don't forget about being too uppity to put honest to goodness American yellow mustard on a burger and choosing elitist Dijon mustard instead.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 03:39 AM   #187
Arcade22
Illuminator
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,208
If the only "inappropriate" thing that he is accused of is "making sexual advances toward teenage girls", which is what two recent WAPO articles mentioned, then of course they should support him.

It's perfectly appropriate to make advances to well developed young women and having sex with them.
__________________
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 03:41 AM   #188
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,082
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
If the only "inappropriate" thing that he is accused of is "making sexual advances toward teenage girls", which is what two recent WAPO articles mentioned, then of course they should support him.

It's perfectly appropriate to make advances to well developed young women and having sex with them.
Not when he's in his thirtees and the girl in question is 14. That's not perfectly appropriate, even in Alabama. In fact, it's illegal.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 03:44 AM   #189
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15,429
Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
...

I would weigh these factors and choose the lesser of two evils.
Moore is alleged to have molested a 14 year old but I believe if the opportunity presented itself would vote for a Justice who in my mind might save a 100,000 lives.

I would hope if the evidence against him becomes strong about the 14 year old or the alleged rape the Senate would remove him. Maybe a false hope but I don't think so in today's climate.
I am honestly confused. You would vote for Moore despite him being a kiddie diddler, and at the same time hope he gets removed immediately for being a kiddie diddler?

Or do you assert there exists no reasonable evidence yet that he was a kiddie diddler? If so, what evidence would be sufficient to you and have a non-zero probability of being in existence today, seeing we can't go back in time to install a secret camera?
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 03:55 AM   #190
Arcade22
Illuminator
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,208
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Not when he's in his thirtees and the girl in question is 14. That's not perfectly appropriate, even in Alabama. In fact, it's illegal.
Neither articles mentioned or alluded to those details so apparently they aren't of much importance.
__________________
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 03:57 AM   #191
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,082
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Neither articles mentioned or alluded to those details so apparently they aren't of much importance.
You haven't been following this I take it? Might I suggest you familliarize yourself with the circumstances?
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 05:09 AM   #192
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,345
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Do you think that ad is racist?

I think they were trying to point out a double standard.
I don't understand the ad, actually.

I find that a lot of times these days, when something is labeled "racist", I can't figure out why. I think it started around the time when I turned "old"?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 05:17 AM   #193
Arcade22
Illuminator
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,208
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
You haven't been following this I take it? Might I suggest you familliarize yourself with the circumstances?
I'm simply basing my reaction on the contents of those articles.

If, as one of those articles suggested, that the allegations against Moore are more serious than the ones Al Franken is accused of, and Moore is only said to have "made sexual advances on teenagers when he was in his 30s", then clearly these people have some strange ideas about what constitutes acceptable behaviour.

Do people seriously think that the fact he was hitting on teenagers, maybe even having sex with them, when he was in his 30's is supposed to be a good enough reason to reject him (without any further details)?

If that's the case then clearly he ougth to win simply to spite those stuck up prudes that can go **** themselves.
__________________
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 05:31 AM   #194
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,345
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
That was over two weeks ago. I expect now Turtle-face is going to conveniently forget what he said and embrace the child molester fully.
McConnell will likely have an ethics investigation of Moore. McConnell still doesn't want Moore as a Senator, imo.

It is strategically important to do so, to be seen as "doing something".

Given the evidence available, and the passage of time, Moore should easily get by the investigation, as I believe Franken would have.

I don't see much down side to the Republicans for starting an ethics investigation of Moore.

Moore could get past the investigation, and then the Repubs can say they tried.

Moore could be expelled, and then the Governor gets to appoint a Republican until another special election can be held.

If a special election is held, whoever wins that would only be in office a short while before having to run in the 2020 election.

We are rapidly approaching the 2020 election anyway, so whoever ends up in the seat has to run again soon. Moore would just have to run again in 2020 if he wins and keeps the seat.

So there are another couple of opportunities to remove Moore coming shortly if he manages to win this time and manages to keep the seat.

The coming 2020 primary and election.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 05:34 AM   #195
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 19,345
Also, the ethics investigation would likely mean that Moore gets nothing done as a Senator for quite a while.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 06:26 AM   #196
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,082
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Also, the ethics investigation would likely mean that Moore gets nothing done as a Senator for quite a while.
He can still vote. That's why he will get seated despite being a child molester.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 06:48 AM   #197
Mumbles
Illuminator
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,765
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Do people seriously think that the fact he was hitting on teenagers, maybe even having sex with them, when he was in his 30's is supposed to be a good enough reason to reject him (without any further details)?
When one of the "teenagers" is fourteen, and another is plainly unwilling? Yes, absolutely, I believe that "child molester and attempted rapist" is disqualifying.

And that's why you should read up - we have further details. But, even if it were a 32 year old hitting on kids in high school...still creepy.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 07:00 AM   #198
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,017
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I noticed that people get very angry at this sort of thing.

They never answer the question, though.

(And if you read this post, you're too late.)
It’s been quite a journey from “Obama’s candidacy might collapse because his pastor said America has done evil things that produced 9/11” to “Trump campaigns for man who says America has done evil things that produced 9/11.”
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 07:11 AM   #199
Cleon
King of the Pod People
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25,162
Why on Earth is anyone taking what Mitch McConnell says at face value?
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 07:24 AM   #200
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12,010
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
But, even if it were a 32 year old hitting on kids in high school...still creepy.
It's obviously the sort of person prone to abusing power and authority.
__________________
"The president’s voracious sexual appetite is the elephant that the president rides around on each and every day while pretending that it doesn’t exist." - Bill O'Reilly et al., Killing Kennedy
TubbaBlubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.