ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Is Emotion or Intellect more Useful and BenefiIím not sure/donít know/cial to Humans?
Emotion 0 0%
Intellect. 13 30.23%
They are equally useful and beneficial. 22 51.16%
Iím not sure/donít know/donít care (Planet X). 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th January 2018, 03:56 PM   #1
ynot
Philosopher

Is Emotion or Intellect more Useful and Beneficial to Humans?

I chose intellect, but that doesn’t mean I think emotions don’t have use and benefit (just less than intellect).

ETA - I posted this poll in Religion and Philosophy because I would like to find out if the answers are affected by realism (atheism) and arealism (theism)

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 04:22 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 04:08 PM   #2
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking as a realist, I chose the planet x option.

Your Pal, The Big Dog, A Realist.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:12 PM   #3
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Speaking as a realist, I chose the planet x option.

Your Pal, The Big Dog, A Realist.
Your vote reflects nothing other than your a protest against my suspicions and personal definitions of "god believer" and "not god believer". But thanks for playing anyway Pal.

Let's hope my Pal has now done with this thread (wishful thinking).

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 04:16 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 04:15 PM   #4
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Your vote reflects nothing other than your a protest against my suspicions and personal definitions of "god believer" and not-god believer". But thanks for playing anyway Pal.
Wait, you complaining that I selected one of your options?

That is truly something!

Signed, A Realist.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:19 PM   #5
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Intellect, by far.

Intellect gives us science, helps us cure disease, grow food, do proper risk assessments.

Emotion gives us drunken calls to ex-girlfriends at 3 in the morning and pulling a gun on people who cut you off in traffic.

And it is true, there are some emotions that might be seen as useful (such as empathy/sympathy), the benefits of such emotions can be duplicated through intellect (e.g. expressing sympathy can help build cohesion in society, something which would be seen through intellect.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 04:20 PM   #6
ynot
Philosopher

Wait, you complaining that I selected one of your options?

That is truly something!
Not complaining, merely commenting. I did thank you for your contribution Pal.

Signed, A Realist.
I meet many theists and other paranormal believers that make that ludicrous claim.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:20 PM   #7
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

I'm not sure how you'd go about quantifying usefulness, but I think both are essential so voted for the third option.

ETA I'm also not 100% sure what "beneficial" means in this context. Survival value? Or tendency to produce happiness? If the latter, then emotions are far more important.

Last edited by ctamblyn; 4th January 2018 at 04:25 PM.
ctamblyn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 04:22 PM   #8
ynot
Philosopher

Darn! Really silly of me to include my "suspicions". Obviously they will have (and I think already have had) an effect on how people vote. Can't have a skewed poll. I have removed them.

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:24 PM   #9
Minoosh
Philosopher

I picked "equal," though they are not equal in every situation. Emotion is very important; in many cases patriotism is useful. Intellect/skepticism is also important - is your patriotism in fact justified by reality? Is your country more or less likely to win a war because of intellect?

We have both for sound evolutionary reasons IMO.

Last edited by Minoosh; 4th January 2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: word change
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 04:26 PM   #10
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ctamblyn View Post
I'm not sure how you'd go about quantifying usefulness, but I think both are essential so voted for the third option.
Equally essential?

How you'd go about quantifying essential? (that was rhetorical. Don't want yet another semantic thread)

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:29 PM   #11
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Equally essential?

How you'd go about quantifying essential?
See my ETA - it depends on what you meant by beneficial.

For survival, I think both are essential in that without both we'd probably suffer either through making poor calculations or through lacking the motivation to do anything.

For happiness, clearly emotions are necessary while intellect is merely advantageous.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:33 PM   #12
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I picked "equal," though they are not equal in every situation. Emotion is very important; in many cases patriotism is useful. Intellect/skepticism is also important - is your patriotism in fact justified by reality? Is your country more or less likely to win a war because of intellect?

We have both for sound evolutionary reasons IMO.
Perhaps I should've asked if there are more or situations in which emotion or intellect are more useful and beneficial to humans.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:37 PM   #13
ynot
Philosopher

See my ETA - it depends on what you meant by beneficial.

For survival, I think both are essential in that without both we'd probably suffer either through making poor calculations or through lacking the motivation to do anything.

For happiness, clearly emotions are necessary while intellect is merely advantageous.
Why isn't intellectual curiousity for knowledge a motivation.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:37 PM   #14
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

On reflection, perhaps neither emotions nor intellect are essential to survival. Many species seem to do perfectly well - better than us perhaps - without them.

So I suppose I should take "benefit" to mean something beyond mere survival, like happiness, enjoyment, or satisfaction with the way your life is going, making emotions the more important thing. To late to change my vote now though.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:38 PM   #15
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Why isn't intellectual curiousity for knowledge a motivation.
Isn't curiosity an emotional thing? I'd have thought so, but maybe not.

Last edited by ctamblyn; 4th January 2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
ctamblyn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 04:39 PM   #16
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

I picked both since I believe that without emotions we would have no motivation to do anything. Intellectually what is the point of continued existence?
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 04:42 PM   #17
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Wait, a realist, like me, would know that you cannot change the options after a realist, like me, has voted!
Old 4th January 2018, 04:51 PM   #18
ynot
Philosopher

On reflection, perhaps neither emotions nor intellect are essential to survival. Many species seem to do perfectly well - better than us perhaps - without them.

So I suppose I should take "benefit" to mean something beyond mere survival, like happiness, enjoyment, or satisfaction with the way your life is going, making emotions the more important thing. To late to change my vote now though.
Other species can't cure their diseases, increase their life expectancy, improve their eyesight with glasses, microscopes and telescopes, travel faster and further than any other species, etc.

Positive emotions (happiness, enjoyment, etc) require that there are opposing negative emotions. You can't know happy unless you've also known sad. Highlighting only positive emotions is cherry-picking 101.

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:53 PM   #19
ynot
Philosopher

Wait, a realist, like me, would know that you cannot change the options after a realist, like me, has voted!
A real realist would know I didn't and won't change any options. Don't think the poll software even allows for it.

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:58 PM   #20
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

If we were to remove one or the other, we would no longer be human, so it's hard to say that either one is "useful" as such.

However, I look at animals, and it appears to me that they have emotions, but not intellect. Our intellect is what distinguishes us from them, and what has allowed us to become the dominant species on the planet, with the ability to drive most other species, certainly any large species, to extinction if we so choose. I would have to say intellect is therefore more beneficial.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 05:04 PM   #21
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Is Emotion or Intellect more Useful and Beneficial to Humans?
I think the question needs to be refined a bit. I assume you're asking about EQ and IQ. But are you speaking about individual humans, or humans as a whole? I think this distinction would make a difference to my answer. I'd say that for individuals, EQ is more useful and beneficial, but for societies as a whole, IQ is more useful and beneficial.
Old 4th January 2018, 05:05 PM   #22
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
If we were to remove one or the other, we would no longer be human, so it's hard to say that either one is "useful" as such.

However, I look at animals, and it appears to me that they have emotions, but not intellect. Our intellect is what distinguishes us from them, and what has allowed us to become the dominant species on the planet, with the ability to drive most other species, certainly any large species, to extinction if we so choose. I would have to say intellect is therefore more beneficial.
Animals sure do have intellect. Some more than others. The human animal has more emotion and intellect than all others.
Old 4th January 2018, 05:13 PM   #23
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I think the question needs to be refined a bit. I assume you're asking about EQ and IQ. But are you speaking about individual humans, or humans as a whole? I think this distinction would make a difference to my answer. I'd say that for individuals, EQ is more useful and beneficial, but for societies as a whole, IQ is more useful and beneficial.
No, I'm asking about emotion and intellect and no other branding is required.

Isn't what is more useful and beneficial to individual humans also what is best for humanity? I mean useful and beneficial in an overall sense, not short term needs and greeds that can change on a whim.

Why do polls require that every word needs to be micro-defined? Why can't people join the dots like they do in everyday life?
Old 4th January 2018, 05:22 PM   #24
ynot
Philosopher

Perhaps some might understand the poll question better if they read it as - “Would an increase in either emotion or intellect be more useful and beneficial to humanity?”

No I’m not altering the poll question. I’m merely offering an alternative that might help in understanding the original.

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 05:29 PM   #25
ynot
Philosopher

Isn't curiosity an emotional thing? I'd have thought so, but maybe not.
I'd say there's both emotional curiosity and intellectual curiosity.

Otherwise you would have to say that intellect is an emotion.
Old 4th January 2018, 05:32 PM   #26
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Perhaps some might understand the poll question better if they read it as - ďWould an increase in either emotion or intellect be more useful and beneficial to humanity?Ē

No Iím not altering the poll question. Iím merely offering an alternative that might help in understanding the original.
Interesting. I took the original question as being more of ďwhich one could we do without?Ē and so I picked neither.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 05:38 PM   #27
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
Interesting. I took the original question as being more of ďwhich one could we do without?Ē and so I picked neither.
Don't know how you can possibly get that from this . . .

"Is Emotion or Intellect more Useful and Beneficial to Humans?"

Perhaps it's because emotions are held very emotionally and some are paranoid about anything that might threaten them?
Old 4th January 2018, 05:49 PM   #28
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Don't know how you can possibly get that from this . . .

"Is Emotion or Intellect more Useful and Beneficial to Humans?"

Perhaps it's because emotions are held very emotionally and some are paranoid about anything that might threaten them?
No, I took it to mean if we had to choose between having one or the other or both, what would be better. Just the way I interpreted the question.
Old 4th January 2018, 05:52 PM   #29
ynot
Philosopher

Interesting. I took the original question as being more of “which one could we do without?” and so I picked neither.
What poll option would you have selected if the question was worded this way? . . .
“Would an increase in either emotion or intellect be more useful and beneficial to humanity?”
Old 4th January 2018, 05:55 PM   #30
ynot
Philosopher

No, I took it to mean if we had to choose between having one or the other or both, what would be better. Just the way I interpreted the question.
Yes I realise that. I just don't know why you interpreted the question the way you did.
Old 4th January 2018, 05:56 PM   #31
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

What poll option would you have selected if the question was worded this way? . . .
ďWould an increase in either emotion or intellect be more useful and beneficial to humanity?Ē
Intellect, definitely.
Old 4th January 2018, 05:59 PM   #32
ynot
Philosopher

Intellect, definitely.
Thanks. Sorry that my poll question somehow confused you. Wonder how many others were similarly confused?
Old 4th January 2018, 06:13 PM   #33
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Other species can't cure their diseases, increase their life expectancy, improve their eyesight with glasses, microscopes and telescopes, travel faster and further than any other species, etc.
Maybe not, but other species outperform us in terms of sheer survival. Microorganisms in particular. That's what I was driving at when I said neither intellect nor emotions are actually required.

Quote:
Positive emotions (happiness, enjoyment, etc) require that there are opposing negative emotions. You can't know happy unless you've also known sad. Highlighting only positive emotions is cherry-picking 101.
My point was merely that if "beneficial" means tending to bring about happiness or contentment, then emotions are absolutely necessary (they are required for you to even experience the happiness, etc.) but intellect is merely advantageous. The positive emotion is the end, intellect is a means. The existence of negative emotions doesn't directly matter to that line of thought. But as you brought them up, negative emotions are enormously valuable too in guiding our actions.

On a slightly tangential note, I know it is generally accepted that you can't "really" know happiness unless you've experienced sadness too, but is that actually true? Is there evidence to support that? I admit it's plausible, but goodness knows how you'd test it.
Old 4th January 2018, 06:20 PM   #34
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

To be fair I read it in much the same way.

If it's a question of what would be the best thing to have more of, I suppose I'd probably go with intellect. Just not at the expense of emotions.
Old 4th January 2018, 06:41 PM   #35
ynot
Philosopher

Maybe not, but other species outperform us in terms of sheer survival. Microorganisms in particular. That's what I was driving at when I said neither intellect nor emotions are actually required.
If microorganisms have neither intellect nor emotions what motivates them to do what they do. Pure instincts? Is there such a thing? Also the question was specifically related to humans.

My point was merely that if "beneficial" means tending to bring about happiness or contentment, then emotions are absolutely necessary (they are required for you to even experience the happiness, etc.) but intellect is merely advantageous. The positive emotion is the end, intellect is a means. The existence of negative emotions doesn't directly matter to that line of thought. But as you brought them up, negative emotions are enormously valuable too in guiding our actions.
Why do you assume that ďbeneficialĒ in the poll question means only emotionally beneficial? Why ignore all the intellectual benefits of critical thinking, scientific discoveries, logical conclusions and actions, knowing the difference between fantasy and fact, etc?

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 06:45 PM   #36
Ray Brady
Graduate Poster

Equally essential. Intellect is the tool we used to conquer the planet, but Emotion is what gave us the motivation to do so. Intellect without emotion driving it is directionless.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 06:58 PM   #37
ynot
Philosopher

To be fair I read it in much the same way.

If it's a question of what would be the best thing to have more of, I suppose I'd probably go with intellect. Just not at the expense of emotions.
Surely an increase in intellect would automatically be at the expense of emotions. Emotions aren't just about happy, happy, joy, joy. They're also about favoring fantasy beliefs and superstitions over the evidence of reality for emotional comfort (aka paranormal beliefs). There's evidence that increased intellect (education) decreases emotionally inspired paranormal beliefs and superstitions.

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 07:00 PM   #38
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ray Brady View Post
Equally essential. Intellect is the tool we used to conquer the planet, but Emotion is what gave us the motivation to do so. Intellect without emotion driving it is directionless.
"Equally essential" is neither part of the poll question nor options.

Do microorganisms have either emotions or intellect? Are they directionless? What about ants?

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 07:18 PM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Intellect, by far.

Intellect gives us science, helps us cure disease, grow food, do proper risk assessments.

Emotion gives us drunken calls to ex-girlfriends at 3 in the morning and pulling a gun on people who cut you off in traffic.

And it is true, there are some emotions that might be seen as useful (such as empathy/sympathy), the benefits of such emotions can be duplicated through intellect (e.g. expressing sympathy can help build cohesion in society, something which would be seen through intellect.)
Emotion, not intellect, is the driving urge to discover. Science, a product of intellect, serves that urge.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 07:21 PM   #40
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Emotionally, I'm horrified at the existential danger we "rational beings" have placed ourselves in. Nuclear armageddon is just a sunlight-glinting-off-a-satellite away. That is, if we don't deliberately destroy ourselves.

And we are on track to warm the planet to an insanely dangerous point.

Say what you want about dogs, but they seem pretty happy, and they're not a threat to the survival of all life on earth. Intellect is overrated.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy