ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Is Emotion or Intellect more Useful and BenefiIím not sure/donít know/cial to Humans?
Emotion 0 0%
Intellect. 13 32.50%
They are equally useful and beneficial. 20 50.00%
Iím not sure/donít know/donít care (Planet X). 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th January 2018, 07:22 PM   #41
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Ynot, was it some emotion that prompted you to start this thread?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 07:30 PM   #42
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Emotion, not intellect, is the driving urge to discover.
Provide proof of that.

Is sexual desire an emotion or an instinct?

Is desire an emotion? (Google that)

Is emotional desire the same thing as intellectual desire?
Old 4th January 2018, 07:32 PM   #43
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Emotionally, I'm horrified at the existential danger we "rational beings" have placed ourselves in. Nuclear armageddon is just a sunlight-glinting-off-a-satellite away. That is, if we don't deliberately destroy ourselves.

And we are on track to warm the planet to an insanely dangerous point.

Say what you want about dogs, but they seem pretty happy, and they're not a threat to the survival of all life on earth. Intellect is overrated.
And how would "irrational beings" have done better?
Old 4th January 2018, 07:33 PM   #44
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Surely an increase in intellect would automatically be at the expense of emotions. Emotions aren't just about happy, happy, joy, joy. They're also about favoring fantasy beliefs and superstitions over the evidence of reality for emotional comfort (aka paranormal beliefs). There's evidence that increased intellect (education) decreases emotionally inspired paranormal beliefs and superstitions.
I'm not really sure this is true. Is it emotion that made believers out of people?
Old 4th January 2018, 07:34 PM   #45
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Ynot, was it some emotion that prompted you to start this thread?
Is that question emotionally important to you?
Old 4th January 2018, 07:37 PM   #46
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Provide proof of that.

Is sexual desire an emotion or an instinct?

Is desire an emotion? (Google that)

Is emotional desire the same thing as intellectual desire?
You presented emotion and intellect as a dichotomy. Of those I would certainly put desire of any kind in the emotional category.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 07:39 PM   #47
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm not really sure this is true. Is it emotion that made believers out of people?
Belief is lack of knowledge. Intellect enables an increase in knowledge and therefore enables less need for belief. When emotion overrides intellect knowledge is harder to gain and beliefs are more likely.

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 07:44 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 07:41 PM   #48
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is a false dichotomy. Our brains are complete systems not competing emotions and intellect at battle with each other for some victory.

Emotional states evolved to give us a mental state to judge how certain things are going. Love exists because emotional bonds are important for social animals. Fear exists because some things are to be avoided. Curiosity (pedantics of whether or not that's a "true" emotion or not aside) exists because a being that is curious is simply more successful. Our emotions might not be "intellectual" by a narrow definition of the word, but they aren't anti-intellectual nor are they these mystical forces that operate outside or against our intellects. They are, speaking very layman here, simply a lower, more basic for of intellectual almost on the same level as a reflex.

It's basically an anti-intellectual strawman, trying to get those "uppity intellectuals" to admit they use things outside of some overly narrow definition of "intellect" as some sort of gotcha.

Recognize what your emotions are trying to tell you and why they might be "going off" in a certain situation and they actually work very well with what is traditionally though of as "intellect" or reason.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 07:47 PM   #49
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Belief is lack of knowledge. Intellect enables an increase in knowledge and therefore enables less need for belief. When emotion overrides intellect knowledge is harder to gain and beliefs are more likely.
I disagree with your definition. Belief is what you believe to be true. Some beliefs have a more rational basis than others. Faith is belief without evidence.

Last edited by jrhowell; 4th January 2018 at 07:53 PM.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 07:52 PM   #50
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
I disagree with your definition.
That's your right.
Belief is what you believe to be true.
Knowledge is what you know to be true.
Some beliefs have a more rational basis than others.
So what? Knowledge has a more rational basis than belief.
Old 4th January 2018, 07:58 PM   #51
ynot
Philosopher

I disagree with your definition.
I agree that my definition was inadequate. Here's a better one . . .

Belief is the lack of sufficient evidence to allow a thing to be classified as knowledge.

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 08:00 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 08:05 PM   #52
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

I'm pretty sure that 85% of what we call intellect is really emotion.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 08:08 PM   #53
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Knowledge is what you know to be true.
Someoneís level of certainty regarding their beliefs has little connection with the truth of those beliefs.

(I apologize for being disagreeable.)
Old 4th January 2018, 08:20 PM   #54
ynot
Philosopher

Someoneís level of certainty regarding their beliefs has little connection with the truth of those beliefs.
Exactly! Level of certainty regarding beliefs is usually called faith. Especially with paranormal beliefs (beliefs that couldn't be true anyway).

Level of credibility of evidence has a strong connection with truth of knowledge.

How do you define the difference between belief and knowledge? Or do you conflate the two?

(I apologize for being disagreeable.)
Thanks, but no need to apologize. Disagreeing is what debates are all about.
Old 4th January 2018, 08:38 PM   #55
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

How do you define the difference between belief and knowledge? Or do you conflate the two?
I usually consider knowledge to be belief backed up by strong evidence, basically the opposite of faith.

Last edited by jrhowell; 4th January 2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 08:53 PM   #56
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I'm pretty sure that 85% of what we call intellect is really emotion.
Or perhaps emotion is 85% intellect? Let's just call them both "emotigence" and say they're the same coin.

Last edited by ynot; 4th January 2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 4th January 2018, 08:59 PM   #57
surreptitious57
Critical Thinker

The OP is based upon a false premise which assumes one is more beneficial than the other. Sometimes logic is preferable
and sometimes emotion is. Neither can be universally applied. The answer therefore is that both are equally as beneficial
Old 4th January 2018, 09:31 PM   #58
ynot
Philosopher

I usually consider knowledge to be belief backed up by strong evidence, basically the opposite of faith.
Let's say that's your definition of knowledge then.

What's your definition of belief?
Old 4th January 2018, 09:39 PM   #59
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by surreptitious57 View Post
The OP is based upon a false premise which assumes one is more beneficial than the other. Sometimes logic is preferable
and sometimes emotion is. Neither can be universally applied. The answer therefore is that both are equally as beneficial
Can you read and comprehend the English language?

There is clearly a poll option for what you claim there isn't.

"They are equally useful and beneficial"

I've made it bigger and bold to help you out.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:08 PM   #60
Cheetah
Critical Thinker

Well, I really don't know what a human with 100% intellect and 0% emotion (or the opposite) would look like, the extremes are obviously nonsensical.

In my experience though, I'd say if you could up the intellect and lower the emotion of everyone quite a bit, we would certainly be a lot better off.
I wonder where you would run into the laws of diminishing returns and how.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:43 PM   #61
surreptitious57
Critical Thinker

Reducing negative emotion while increasing positive emotion rather than reducing all emotion. The same for logic although
tempering it with emotion makes it rather problematic if compartmentalism insists up on them being kept entirely separate
Something that the corpus callosum might object to. For while it is sometimes black and white it can be shades of grey too
Old 4th January 2018, 10:47 PM   #62
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Well, I really don't know what a human with 100% intellect and 0% emotion (or the opposite) would look like, the extremes are obviously nonsensical.
Just as well the poll has nothing to do with such extremes then.
Old 4th January 2018, 11:08 PM   #63
surreptitious57
Critical Thinker

Positive logic when logic is required and positive emotion when emotion is required. Also allowing for a margin
of error to account for the fact that human beings are doing the thinking here since they do not always choose
the right option. Because without any experience or knowledge of human nature the question is just academic
Old 5th January 2018, 12:23 AM   #64
ynot
Philosopher

Positive logic when logic is required and positive emotion when emotion is required. Also allowing for a margin
of error to account for the fact that human beings are doing the thinking here since they do not always choose
the right option. Because without any experience or knowledge of human nature the question is just academic
Please give examples of positive and negative logic (not of the digital system type).

And do you use logic as a replacement for intellect?

Last edited by ynot; 5th January 2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:41 AM   #65
Tommy Jeppesen
Graduate Poster

Both emotion and intellect are necessary but not sufficient parts of the human condition.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:44 AM   #66
ynot
Philosopher

You presented emotion and intellect as a dichotomy. Of those I would certainly put desire of any kind in the emotional category.
Then every species that has sexual desire has emotions.
Old 5th January 2018, 01:03 AM   #67
surreptitious57
Critical Thinker

Positive logic is logic applied with positive moral consequences / Negative logic is logic applied with negative moral consequences
I do not use logic as a substitute for emotion but I try to contain negative emotion as much as possible by simply being detached
Old 5th January 2018, 01:11 AM   #68
Tommy Jeppesen
Graduate Poster

Then every species that has sexual desire has emotions.
First off, you should learn to differentiate between feelings and emotions. Read up on it if you need.

Secondly, is pain or hunger intellectual? No, the base needs (not wants) (read up on that if you need to) as per Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html are tied to feelings and emotions. So are wants btw.
Further if you look at this theory: Moral Foundations Theory http://www.moralfoundations.org/ you will again find emotions/feelings as a part of it.
Old 5th January 2018, 01:17 AM   #69
ynot
Philosopher

Positive logic is logic applied with positive moral consequences / Negative logic is logic applied with negative moral consequences
Given positive/negative and moral/amoral are subjective, and logic is objective, saying positive or negative logic seems a very loose and contradictory use of the term logic.

I do not use logic as a substitute for emotion but I try to contain negative emotion as much as possible by simply being detached
I asked if you were using logic as a replacement for intellect.
Old 5th January 2018, 01:35 AM   #70
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tommy Jeppesen View Post
First off, you should learn to differentiate between feelings and emotions. Read up on it if you need.
Definition of feeling - an emotional state or reaction. - https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/feeling

Emotions - any of the feelings of joy, sorrow, fear, hate, love, etc. - http://www.dictionary.com/browse/emotions

You should explain how they differentiate. Read up on it if you need.

Secondly, is pain or hunger intellectual? No, the base needs (not wants) (read up on that if you need to) as per Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html are tied to feelings and emotions. So are wants btw.
Further if you look at this theory: Moral Foundations Theory http://www.moralfoundations.org/ you will again find emotions/feelings as a part of it.
Why do you abruptly switch from emotional to intellectual? And what has Moral Foundations Theory got to do with - "Then every species that has sexual desire has emotions."

Last edited by ynot; 5th January 2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 5th January 2018, 02:34 AM   #71
Tommy Jeppesen
Graduate Poster

Definition of feeling - an emotional state or reaction. - https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/feeling

Emotions - any of the feelings of joy, sorrow, fear, hate, love, etc. - http://www.dictionary.com/browse/emotions

You explain how they differentiate. Read up on it if you need.

Why do you abruptly switch from emotional to intellectual?
The truth of reality!

I am going to explain something to you. For you to understand it, it requires an intellect on your part and you have to be open to learn something new, which contradicts what you know already. That is a part of learning, sometimes but not always learning means that you have to change what you know in that, what you knew before, you stop doing it, because you know differently now.
Open a search engine, type "the difference between feelings and emotions", choose one of the links which seems credible.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ng-and-emotion

Now stop using dictionaries as they were truth. An example is that there is a dictionary which lists atheism to mean amoral. Now what you can learn from that is a dictionary a list of how words are used in a common sense, but that doesn't make what a dictionary says true. A dictionary only lists the common usage of words.

Now something about necessary versus sufficient conditions in regards to reality. http://philosophy.wisc.edu/hausman/3...ll/nec-suf.htm
Both emotion and intellect are necessary but not sufficient conditions if you want to describe reality. So is gravity, but again gravity is necessary but not sufficient in describing reality.
So to answer your question: Is Emotion or Intellect more Useful and Beneficial to Humans?
It depends on whether you use "Useful and Beneficial" in a qualitative or quantitative manner of if you haven't thought about it and treat qualitative and quantitative as the same. They are not and so here are the answers:
Qualitative: Emotions/feelings
Quantitative: Intellect
Both qualitative and quantitative: Can't be answered, because they are different ways of using brains and there is no scientific theory about how to convert between qualitative and quantitative.

In other words qualitative and quantitative are both necessary but not sufficient conditions when you want to describe reality.
Old 5th January 2018, 02:43 AM   #72
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

The truth of reality!

I am going to explain something to you. For you to understand it, it requires an intellect on your part and you have to be open to learn something new, which contradicts what you know already. That is a part of learning, sometimes but not always learning means that you have to change what you know in that, what you knew before, you stop doing it, because you know differently now.
Open a search engine, type "the difference between feelings and emotions", choose one of the links which seems credible.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ng-and-emotion

Now stop using dictionaries as they were truth. An example is that there is a dictionary which lists atheism to mean amoral. Now what you can learn from that is a dictionary a list of how words are used in a common sense, but that doesn't make what a dictionary says true. A dictionary only lists the common usage of words.

Now something about necessary versus sufficient conditions in regards to reality. http://philosophy.wisc.edu/hausman/3...ll/nec-suf.htm
Both emotion and intellect are necessary but not sufficient conditions if you want to describe reality. So is gravity, but again gravity is necessary but not sufficient in describing reality.
So to answer your question: Is Emotion or Intellect more Useful and Beneficial to Humans?
It depends on whether you use "Useful and Beneficial" in a qualitative or quantitative manner of if you haven't thought about it and treat qualitative and quantitative as the same. They are not and so here are the answers:
Both qualitative and quantitative: Can't be answered, because they are different ways of using brains and there is no scientific theory about how to convert between qualitative and quantitative.

In other words qualitative and quantitative are both necessary but not sufficient conditions when you want to describe reality.
tl;dr
Old 5th January 2018, 02:48 AM   #73
Tommy Jeppesen
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
tl;dr
Feelings and emotions are not the same. Emotion and intellect are both human behavior but neither trumps the other. They are useful and beneficial for different reasons.

Now don't ask for evidence, because that is tl;dr
Old 5th January 2018, 03:15 AM   #74
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post

In my experience though, I'd say if you could up the intellect and lower the emotion of everyone quite a bit, we would certainly be a lot better off.
I wonder where you would run into the laws of diminishing returns and how.
And let's face it we often simply don't like what our intellect tells us we should be doing. That's when the conflict between intellect and emotion happens.

If I say I want an end to climate change and I want to preserve the biosphere pretty much as it is now, my intellect tells me that I along with most people should decide to end our lives. All we should be discussing is which people should not kill themselves. Which is obviously something we aren't going to do for emotional reasons. What is quite ironic is how we will then use our intellect to provide a rationale for why we shouldn't apply the logical solution either personally or as a species.
Old 5th January 2018, 05:34 AM   #75
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Feelings and emotions are not the same. Emotion and intellect are both human behavior but neither trumps the other. They are useful and beneficial for different reasons.

Now don't ask for evidence, because that is tl;dr
I wasn't going to ask you for evidence.
Old 5th January 2018, 01:55 PM   #76
ynot
Philosopher

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hide-and-seek/201412/whats-the-difference-between-feeling-and-emotion
“What’s the Difference Between a Feeling and an Emotion? - Pain is a feeling but not an emotion.”
What a crock! Discussing emotions and intellect is discussing the thought processes of the brain, NOT the sensory processes of nerve endings sending impulses to the brain. This shouldn’t have to be explained.

“Today, the emotions are so neglected that most people are oblivious to the deep currents that move them, hold them back, and lead them astray.”
Reading that introductory emotions biased crap made it harder to read further (but I did). Didn’t find anything that showed a difference between thought feelings and emotions. Did find a lot of emotions biased crap that continues to conflate sensory feelings and thought feelings.

so here are the answers:
No, not answers at all, merely biased definitions of words to suit your argument.

Why can things not equally be intellectually qualitative?
Why can things not equally be emotionally quantitative?

"The sky is falling" crap! That the brain may have some difficulty working with qualitative and quantitative simultaneously doesn’t mean the brain can’t work with both (emotionally and intellectually). Converting between qualitative and quantitative is merely a simple thought process of choice.

I think consulting modern dictionaries to find current usage and meanings of words is at least more honest than making things up to suit your argument.

What is/are the missing piece(s) of the puzzle that is/are sufficient to allow us to fully describe reality then?

ETA - This poll is about emotions and intellect, NOT about qualitative and quantitative.

Last edited by ynot; 5th January 2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 5th January 2018, 03:06 PM   #77
baron
Philosopher

I haven't read the thread so it may have been mentioned, but I recall a number of experiments involving people with compromised emotional responses. It found that emotion was essential in order to make a decision, even when the decision apparently only required logic, or was arbitrary. On being asked to pick up any one of three objects a person with no emotional response was unable to even make the attempt, despite being able to offer a logical assessment of the options.
Old 5th January 2018, 03:40 PM   #78
ynot
Philosopher

Feelings and emotions are not the same.
In the context of this thread they are the same. Sensory feelings are not relevant to what is being discussed.
Old 5th January 2018, 03:41 PM   #79
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I haven't read the thread so it may have been mentioned, but I recall a number of experiments involving people with compromised emotional responses. It found that emotion was essential in order to make a decision, even when the decision apparently only required logic, or was arbitrary. On being asked to pick up any one of three objects a person with no emotional response was unable to even make the attempt, despite being able to offer a logical assessment of the options.
Not of any use without detail of the expermiments.
Old 5th January 2018, 05:19 PM   #80
Fudbucker
Philosopher

ďWhatís the Difference Between a Feeling and an Emotion? - Pain is a feeling but not an emotion.Ē
What a crock! Discussing emotions and intellect is discussing the thought processes of the brain, NOT the sensory processes of nerve endings sending impulses to the brain. This shouldnít have to be explained.

ďToday, the emotions are so neglected that most people are oblivious to the deep currents that move them, hold them back, and lead them astray.Ē
Reading that introductory emotions biased crap made it harder to read further (but I did). Didnít find anything that showed a difference between thought feelings and emotions. Did find a lot of emotions biased crap that continues to conflate sensory feelings and thought feelings.

No, not answers at all, merely biased definitions of words to suit your argument.

Why can things not equally be intellectually qualitative?
Why can things not equally be emotionally quantitative?

"The sky is falling" crap! That the brain may have some difficulty working with qualitative and quantitative simultaneously doesnít mean the brain canít work with both (emotionally and intellectually). Converting between qualitative and quantitative is merely a simple thought process of choice.

I think consulting modern dictionaries to find current usage and meanings of words is at least more honest than making things up to suit your argument.

What is/are the missing piece(s) of the puzzle that is/are sufficient to allow us to fully describe reality then?

ETA - This poll is about emotions and intellect, NOT about qualitative and quantitative.
For someone so hostile towards emotion, you sure display a lot of it.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy