ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth

Old 6th January 2018, 03:53 PM   #1
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Talking Flat Earth Youtube video (What the heck did I just watch?).

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

She's Australian, a Weeaboo, a Koreaboo (I've seen some reaction video's based on the last 2 statements...), loves to insult people online and a Flat Earther.

And this one involves the Illuminati (I thought NASA were the bad guys with this one?).

Patrick, you naughty boy. What have you done this time?

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 05:10 PM   #2
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
This video has been posted previously. It doesn't get any better with repetition.

By the way, does anyone know how old this child was when she made the video? Does anyone have any background on her, her parents, her community?

Edit, I watched it on YouTube, but still could not find answers to those questions. As of now it has over 1 million views.

Edit 2. What is a Weeaboo, or a Koreaboo?

And Edit 3 -- someone within the past six months posted a link to a video of (Steven Hawkins?) instructing people to measure the height of the spot from a laser against a pole mounted on a boat when the boat was near shore and then farther away. I have not been able to find that video. But I certainly could use it when discussing FEFH (FlatEarth False Hypothesis) whit an acquaintance.

Last edited by xterra; 6th January 2018 at 05:17 PM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 05:23 PM   #3
tinribmancer

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
This video has been posted previously. It doesn't get any better with repetition.

By the way, does anyone know how old this child was when she made the video? Does anyone have any background on her, her parents, her community?

Edit, I watched it on YouTube, but still could not find answers to those questions. As of now it has over 1 million views.

And Edit 3 -- someone within the past six months posted a link to a video of (Steven Hawkins?) instructing people to measure the height of the spot from a laser against a pole mounted on a boat when the boat was near shore and then farther away. I have not been able to find that video. But I certainly could use it when discussing FEFH (FlatEarth False Hypothesis) whit an acquaintance.
It did? Where? I actually searched in this forum for any "Flat Earth" topics covering this video.

And Weeaboos, watch this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I used to call them people with a "Japan Fetish", before I even heard of this word.

Koreaboos are basically the same, except you replace "Japan", with "South-Korea" and "Anime & Manga" with "Kpop idol obsession".

JC Denton

Last edited by tinribmancer; 6th January 2018 at 05:45 PM.
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 06:43 PM   #4
xterra
So far, so good...

I think the actual topic of the Hawkins video related to a series on the size of the universe. He had three "ordinary" people follow his instructions to measure diameter of earth, distance to moon, etc.

However, it very clearly and simply showed the reason that the surface of a (pretty large) calm lake is not flat, but curved. I suspect that the lake was Great Salt Lake in Utah.

ETA, I searched YouTube also, but could not find it; inept searching, I guess.

Last edited by xterra; 6th January 2018 at 06:57 PM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 09:46 PM   #5
Scott Sommers
Illuminator

The video apparently comes from this Youtube account
Our Third Life
Quote:
About
Our Third Life is a YouTube channel featuring satirical confession vlogs by hosts Pupinia Stewart, Schmitty Winkleson and Steven Skyhard. Some videos on the channel have been widely circulated online under the misconception that they are not satirical.
I've seen it here and in several other places that there is no Illuminati. That doesn't even make sense. There's a Wikipedia entry that talks about it. I'm not saying that everything on Wikipedia is true, but if you read it, it's just really clear how the Illuminati controls the world.
Scott Sommers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 08:29 AM   #6
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I was standing looking at the stars tonight and realised another debunk of the Flat Earth Perspective argument for stars.

The Claim is that the stars are on a plane above the Earth and we see them head towards the horizon due to perspective and vanishing points.

The trouble with this is that there is no foreshortening in the constellations. Foreshortening is when things far away look shorter than they really are because of distance. Consider the road in the picture below....

While we know that the yellow lines are the same length and the spaces between them are of equal length as well, we see them as shorter the further they are away, until the yellow lines appear to become a continuous line without gaps. This is foreshortening.

We don't see this in the stars constellations though. If they truly appeared to meet the horizon sure to perspective that as the get closer to the horizon then they should get foreshortened as well. Consider this picture I took of the Southern Cross from my front yard a few years ago.

Where the Flat Earther's claim right, then it should look a little more like this instead...

That it doesn't pretty much proves that the perspective claim is debunked.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 08:47 AM   #7
tinribmancer

I forgot to mention this. She was 15 years old. That video received a reaction from a channel called Reaction Time, and several reaction video's followed afterwards. The first 3 being in 2016 and in the 3rd, she said that she was 15 years old.

JC Denton

Old 8th January 2018, 09:41 AM   #8
xterra
So far, so good...

Do I understand from all this that her Flat Earth rant was a spoof? If so, she did a good job at it.

I am still looking for the Steven Hawkins video; if anyone encounters it, please inform me. It is such an elegant demonstration of non-flat earth that it's hard to believe anyone who sees it would fail to be convinced. (I know, I know -- that's only because I don't know "Teh Truth" about NASA's conspiracy, the one that started in Greece about 500 years BCE.)
Old 8th January 2018, 12:05 PM   #9
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I think the actual topic of the Hawkins video related to a series on the size of the universe. He had three "ordinary" people follow his instructions to measure diameter of earth, distance to moon, etc.

However, it very clearly and simply showed the reason that the surface of a (pretty large) calm lake is not flat, but curved. I suspect that the lake was Great Salt Lake in Utah.

ETA, I searched YouTube also, but could not find it; inept searching, I guess.
here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVa2UmgdTM4

Thanks fellas!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 04:22 PM   #10
CORed
Philosopher

Do I understand from all this that her Flat Earth rant was a spoof? If so, she did a good job at it.

I am still looking for the Steven Hawkins video; if anyone encounters it, please inform me. It is such an elegant demonstration of non-flat earth that it's hard to believe anyone who sees it would fail to be convinced. (I know, I know -- that's only because I don't know "Teh Truth" about NASA's conspiracy, the one that started in Greece about 500 years BCE.)
You might find it if you search for "Stephen Hawking". I'm not sure who "Stephen Hawkins" is.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 05:20 PM   #11
tinribmancer

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
You might find it if you search for "Stephen Hawking". I'm not sure who "Stephen Hawkins" is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawkins

JC Denton

Old 8th January 2018, 05:51 PM   #12
xterra
So far, so good...

CORed, I am somehow unable to get that man's name correct. Senility is definitely setting in. Thanks.

Now if you could find the full video I want.... I found the preview, here

http://www.pbs.org/genius-by-stephen...des/episode-6/

EDIT - I found it. To watch it requires a PBS login, which I do not have.

Last edited by xterra; 8th January 2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 8th January 2018, 07:33 PM   #13
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
CORed, I am somehow unable to get that man's name correct. Senility is definitely setting in. Thanks.

Now if you could find the full video I want.... I found the preview, here

http://www.pbs.org/genius-by-stephen...des/episode-6/

EDIT - I found it. To watch it requires a PBS login, which I do not have.

Thanks fellas!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 08:29 PM   #14
xterra
So far, so good...

TBD, I completely missed your post!!

Thank you very much.
Old 8th January 2018, 08:32 PM   #15
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

TBD, I completely missed your post!!

Thank you very much.
No problem! I thought maybe I had screwed something up.

Thanks fellas!
Old 9th January 2018, 03:28 PM   #16
Lurch
Thinker

The laser over the lake test requires that the laser be set so that it not shine at an angle higher than determined by the local level. This is where the flattard could claim a source of error.

The laser could be aimed a wee bit below level and all would be OK. For then, as the boat travels away, initially the spot will be seen to get lower, then reach a lowest point at some distance, thereafter rising with increasing distance.

About the stars. The fact that they always retain the same angular relationships (in both separation and positional disposition) proves they cannot lie on a plane sliding by itself very the Earth. Moreover, they wheel about at a constant angular velocity, and trace paths which are always parallel, exhibiting no perspective effects that would result from linear motion.

Over the course of just one night's observing, and particularly nearer to the equator, a good portion of the entire celestial sphere is presented, as stars set and rise in a continuous and unvarying procession. Indeed the appearance, so easily divined that it was the basis of the model of the universe for millennia, is that of a spherical surface with the Earth at the center.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 04:11 PM   #17
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
The laser over the lake test requires that the laser be set so that it not shine at an angle higher than determined by the local level. This is where the flattard could claim a source of error.
The whole flat earth claim is silly on it's face. What's stopping them from finding the "edge". Answer that and I'll pay attention.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 04:36 PM   #18
xterra
So far, so good...

The video that followed the one I was looking for showed what Lurch suggested -- an adjustment of the angle so that it was not level, with an explanation that left me totally confused about the necessity for this adjustment -- other than that it would produce "evidence" of a flat earth.

Flat Earth | Laser Test Proves The Flat Earth - Part 2 - YouTube
Old 10th January 2018, 11:12 AM   #19
JesseCuster
Muse

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
The whole flat earth claim is silly on it's face. What's stopping them from finding the "edge". Answer that and I'll pay attention.
"Them".

Apparently "they" have the edge patrolled by navies, the military, etc. that prevent anyone from exploring and documenting the existence of the edge of the earth
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 01:10 PM   #20
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
"Them".

Apparently "they" have the edge patrolled by navies, the military, etc. that prevent anyone from exploring and documenting the existence of the edge of the earth
Let's see, assuming that the edge in the flattard "model" is the same distance from the north pole as the south pole is in the real world, the circumference of the flat earth is in the neighborhood of 38,000 miles. It seems it would take a pretty large number of people to guard it. Where do they live? How do they get food and supplies there. Has anybody ever talked to one of these people?

Of course, if flattards could handle this sort of simple math and logic, they wouldn't be flattards.

Last edited by CORed; 10th January 2018 at 01:13 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 01:28 PM   #21
crescent
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Let's see, assuming that the edge in the flattard "model" is the same distance from the north pole as the south pole is in the real world, the circumference of the flat earth is in the neighborhood of 38,000 miles. It seems it would take a pretty large number of people to guard it. Where do they live? How do they get food and supplies there. Has anybody ever talked to one of these people?

Of course, if flattards could handle this sort of simple math and logic, they wouldn't be flattards.
It's a disk, centered around the north pole. The outer edge is what we think of as Antarctica, which is stretched out much further than we believe it to be. The mountains that form the edge of the trans-Antarctic plateau form the actual edge of the disk - an enormous ice-wall. It does not need to be guarded because the sea-ice makes Antarctica difficult to get to anyway. Those few people who claim to have been to interior Antarctica were lying or mistaken.

Also, Finland is an urban legend, and I have a bridge I can sell to anyone who believes me.

Last edited by crescent; 10th January 2018 at 01:29 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 07:40 AM   #22
Lurch
Thinker

Here's where a flattard can apply some simple reasoning to see how it is that their model which has a constant-altitude Sun circling about overhead falls 'flat'. He he.

They acknowledge that on the equinoxes the Sun is directly overhead at the equator. If the Sun wheels about as they suggest, during the morning the Sun would approach in an arc from a direction north of east, pass precisely overhead, and in the afternoon recede in a curve north of west.

This follows because the Sun tracks the equator, which in their model is a circle centered on the north pole. For the six hours before and the six hours after local noon, the Sun travels 90 degrees about its course, totaling 180 degrees during the 12 hours of daylight. A glance at their Earth model clearly shows that at the moments of the Sun first appearing and 12 hours later disappearing, its azimuth is significantly northward of a local E-W axis.

But as anyone living on the equator can easily verify, on the equinoxes the Sun rises exactly in the east, not some tens of degrees N of east, and sets exactly in the west.

Moreover, unlike the perspective acceleration the Sun would exhibit if traveling tangentially at a fixed height and speed during the day, from sunrise through to sunset it moves across the sky at a constant 15 degrees/hour. And this same angular rate is seen *everywhere* on Earth, during all times the Sun is visible.

In their model the simplest geometry would reveal that the *angular* rate of travel of the Sun *must* vary simply because the lines of sight have the distance between Sun and observer varying. Just as we see an airliner at altitude when low in the sky has a small angular rate, becoming maximal when the line of sight distance is at minimum when the ground track is nearest the observer.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 03:22 PM   #23
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

It's odd that someone from the Southern Hemisphere would be a believer in a Flat Earth. I'm not saying that the Northern Hemisphere has a monopoly on morons, but the southern hemisphere causes many problems for flat earthers. For example: If you're in the northern hemisphere and look at Polaris at night, the stars will rotate counter-clockwise around it. If you're in the southern hemisphere and look at the southern stars, they'll rotate clockwise around the southern polar stars. If you use what many of them consider to be a model of the flat earth (resembling the UN flag)and someone stands in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. Since there is no south pole, if you look south at night you should see different night sky from each place.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling

Last edited by CptColumbo; 11th January 2018 at 03:23 PM.
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 02:45 AM   #24
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
It's odd that someone from the Southern Hemisphere would be a believer in a Flat Earth. I'm not saying that the Northern Hemisphere has a monopoly on morons, but the southern hemisphere causes many problems for flat earthers. For example: If you're in the northern hemisphere and look at Polaris at night, the stars will rotate counter-clockwise around it. If you're in the southern hemisphere and look at the southern stars, they'll rotate clockwise around the southern polar stars. If you use what many of them consider to be a model of the flat earth (resembling the UN flag)and someone stands in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. Since there is no south pole, if you look south at night you should see different night sky from each place.
It get crazier than that.

Currently it is summer here so is I was to go out side and look up (assuming it's not cloudy) then I would see an upside down Orion dominating the heavens. I also see the Southern Cross etc. During the Winter when I look up I do not see Orion, instead I see Scorpius, but I still see the Southern Cross. This makes little sense for the Flat Earth, but it gets worse. See if I get a friend to use a Radio Telescope in South Africa, then while I am able to see Orion here at Night, they will see Scorpius during the day, and in winter when I see Scorpius at night, they see Orion at the same time during the day, but regardless of which is visible, both of us see the Southern Cross. Impossible on a Flat Earth.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 04:48 AM   #25
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

I have a part time hobby of laughing at and commenting on flat earth videos on you tube. Some are by scammers who just Provide feed to nut jobs for income. Some are just God magic fans who are forced to believe in a flat earth because they believe god says so and others are just conspiracy theorists. It’s a funny thing about conspiracy theorist that they seem to require themselves to accept all conspiracy theories if they believe any of them.

The flat earthers use the term “perspective” to justify many obvious problems with their silly model where the sun and moon circle around above a flat earth. They just make crapup and call it perspective.

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 05:20 AM   #26
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

There are flat earthers all around the globe ! XD
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 07:51 AM   #27
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

How come so many of those folks between the equator circle and the Ice Wall can't even SEE Polaris. Ever?
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 08:18 AM   #28
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It get crazier than that.

Currently it is summer here so is I was to go out side and look up (assuming it's not cloudy) then I would see an upside down Orion dominating the heavens. I also see the Southern Cross etc. During the Winter when I look up I do not see Orion, instead I see Scorpius, but I still see the Southern Cross. This makes little sense for the Flat Earth, but it gets worse. See if I get a friend to use a Radio Telescope in South Africa, then while I am able to see Orion here at Night, they will see Scorpius during the day, and in winter when I see Scorpius at night, they see Orion at the same time during the day, but regardless of which is visible, both of us see the Southern Cross. Impossible on a Flat Earth.
Qantas flies non-stop from Sydney to Johannesburg. Using their UN model, the flight would need to go across Asia and exceed the range of a 747, plus it would take several hours longer.
It's also hard to see how they can explain measuring longitude in the Southern Hemisphere, using the old system of a clock/watch.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 04:06 PM   #29
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
How come so many of those folks between the equator circle and the Ice Wall can't even SEE Polaris. Ever?

I assume the magical "perspective" makes it disappear like when the Sun or Moon set.
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 05:35 PM   #30
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
I have a part time hobby of laughing at and commenting on flat earth videos on you tube. Some are by scammers who just Provide feed to nut jobs for income. Some are just God magic fans who are forced to believe in a flat earth because they believe god says so and others are just conspiracy theorists. It’s a funny thing about conspiracy theorist that they seem to require themselves to accept all conspiracy theories if they believe any of them.

The flat earthers use the term “perspective” to justify many obvious problems with their silly model where the sun and moon circle around above a flat earth. They just make crapup and call it perspective.
Many of the flat earthers either block/hide comments from particular people or have their comments set to be approved before they're shown publicly, your comments still show up to you as if they're there even though the channel owner has deleted/hidden or not approved them so they don't show up for anyone else.
You can find out by logging out of YouTube and checking to see if your comment shows up. Obviously, if your comment gets a thumb up or down or a reply then it's visible though it may be hidden after, in which case it will still be visible to you and the person who replied.
YouTube comment section really is a mess that flat earthers take full advantage of.

Last edited by alexi_drago; 12th January 2018 at 05:55 PM.
alexi_drago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories