ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew Breitbart , Breitbart.com , Steve Bannon

Old 10th January 2018, 05:01 PM   #1
rakovsky
Muse

Smile RationalWiki article about Breitbart

RationalWiki says:
Quote:
Andrew Breitbart (1969–2012) was a media personality created by Steve Bannon American right-wing media critic, webmaster and "Internet entrepreneur."
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Breitbart.com

What is it implying by saying that A.Breitbart was created by Bannon? Was Bannon an entrepreneur responsible for A.Breitbart's success?

Do you think that Breitbart.com underwent a "purge", as it says that if Andrew Breitbart
Quote:
could do one thing well, it was digging up actual dirt. His successor organization gave up that line a long time ago, to the extent that employees who actually write about issues get hounded out of the organization...[7]

Re-branding
More recently, Breitbart and its London affiliate has become a darling of the Alt-right crowd for its "breaking" coverage of Gamergate's war on women.

7. Gold, Hadas, "Steve Bannon’s ‘tough love’", Politico (Updated 09/02/16 12:16 PM EDT).
So Breitbart was responsible for promoting "Gamergate" as a major scandal, which weirdly turned "social justice" into a bad word among the Alt Right?
Gamergate was a ridiculous scandal over a girl making a game about depression called "Depression Quest". Here is the RationalWiki article on "Gamergate" (https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gamergate#Brief_summary).

His string of "Big" sites does not seem to make much sense. I take terms like "Big Business" and "Big Government" to refer to large, bureaucratic business interests and inefficient government projects. But he adds new names that don't seem to make sense. Rationalwiki says with a touch of humor:
Quote:
Sections
First out of the gate was Big Government, opened in September 2009, which was conspicuously silent about the single Biggest share of our Big Government's discretionary spending, the military.[48] This was followed (with far less fanfare than the first two) by Big Journalism in January 2010. The fourth site, Big Peace, rolled out on July 4th, 2010. He had many more blogs planned, including Big Education, Big Tolerance and Big Jerusalem.[49] Poe's Law.

Quote:
Big Jerusalem:
“If you think it’s bad to be a conservative in the mainstream media or Hollywood, think what it must be like to be a small democracy in the Middle East and challenge the postcolonial approach.

Big Peace:
“This will be my national security blog. Its mission is to try and force national security issues back on the front pages of the newspapers, in an era of ‘progressive pacifism.'”
https://www.mediaite.com/online/andr...ng-new-sites/2

So peacemaking and "postcolonialism" are "big" special interests compared to, say, arms manufacturers?

Poe's Law says:
"Without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism."

The entry ends with:
Quote:
See also...
Astroturfing
Is Breitbart astroturf?
rakovsky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Lurch
Critical Thinker

The OP reads like disjointed, scattered scribblings and gatherings of 'stuff' from which I can discern no coherent point.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 12:19 AM   #3
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I cringe every time I see the name of "RationalWiki".
Old 11th January 2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
I cringe every time I see the name of "RationalWiki".
I don't. I like it a lot, especially for good info on various forms of woo. But this article is far from one of their better efforts.
Old 11th January 2018, 07:23 PM   #5
rakovsky
Muse

Question

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I like it a lot, especially for good info on various forms of woo. But this article is far from one of their better efforts.
I like it when they use a sense of humor. What are some of your criticisms on the RationalWiki article?
rakovsky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 04:14 PM   #6
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by rakovsky View Post
RationalWiki says:

What is it implying by saying that A.Breitbart was created by Bannon? Was Bannon an entrepreneur responsible for A.Breitbart's success?

Do you think that Breitbart.com underwent a "purge", as it says that if Andrew Breitbart

So Breitbart was responsible for promoting "Gamergate" as a major scandal, which weirdly turned "social justice" into a bad word among the Alt Right?
Gamergate was a ridiculous scandal over a girl making a game about depression called "Depression Quest". Here is the RationalWiki article on "Gamergate" (https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gamergate#Brief_summary).

His string of "Big" sites does not seem to make much sense. I take terms like "Big Business" and "Big Government" to refer to large, bureaucratic business interests and inefficient government projects. But he adds new names that don't seem to make sense. Rationalwiki says with a touch of humor:

https://www.mediaite.com/online/andr...ng-new-sites/2

So peacemaking and "postcolonialism" are "big" special interests compared to, say, arms manufacturers?

Poe's Law says:
"Without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism."

The entry ends with:

Is Breitbart astroturf?
No, just ass turf.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 08:15 PM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rakovsky View Post
I like it when they use a sense of humor. What are some of your criticisms on the RationalWiki article?
Dunno, actually. Just don't seem to like it as much.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics