ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags airplane incidents , airplane issues , animal incidents

Old 8th February 2018, 06:16 PM   #201
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

More about the flush hamster...

Originally Posted by DailyMail
She bought the adorable rodent after developing a large but benign growth in her neck last year.

'She was so loving. It was like she knew I needed somebody,' said Aldecosea, a six-feet tall volleyball star...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-said-fly.html
Old 8th February 2018, 07:03 PM   #202
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
She claims that an employee told her she should flush the hamster down a toilet. While that's possible (some people are really dumb), I can't help but suspect she's lying.

For the nothing it's worth, here's how I would imagine the conversation going down if the employee had any sense at all:

Employee: We can't let you on the plane with your hamster.
<snipped argument about emotional support>
Hamster Fan: Then what am I supposed to do with him?
Employee: That's up to you, but you can't get on the plane with your pet.
Hamster Fan: <flush> Okay, I'm ready to board. Sue...I mean see you later!

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if she bought the hamster specifically to set up this exact situation.
I agree. And flushing it is such a shame. Is it allowed to post recipes?

The description in that article gives me yet another idea:
Quote:
The U.S. Transportation Safety Administration has no problem with carry-on hamsters. “Hamsters are welcome in our checkpoint. Their container would typically go through the X-ray while the owner would hold the hamster as the passenger walks through the metal detector so the creature is not subjected to radiation,” according to TSA spokeswoman Sari Koshetz.
How much nitroglycerine can you feed a hamster that it still survives for a couple of hours?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 07:17 PM   #203
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm fine with allowing any pet that fits in a carrier under the seat to fly as a carry-on. As long as it stays in the carrier. No service animal rating required.
Old 8th February 2018, 07:27 PM   #204
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm fine with allowing any pet that fits in a carrier under the seat to fly as a carry-on. As long as it stays in the carrier. No service animal rating required.
I'll go sit next to you with my pet skunk.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 07:29 PM   #205
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
More about the flush hamster...
The hamster is allegedly flushed, its owner hopes to become flush.

Old 8th February 2018, 07:37 PM   #206
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I don't know what airlines you guys have been flying; but while I know airlines continue to include the "under the seat in front of you" as part of their carry-on spiel, I'm pretty sure it's purely vestigial language. There's no useful room to fit anything under the average airline seat.

A couple of years back I was able to work and jam a gym bag loosely packed with a few clothes and some snackage under one; but I was unable to retrieve the bag during flight - my feet took up all of the space I needed to pull it back into. I had to wait until after landing, actually until after the other passengers in my row had left, to pry the bag out.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 08:02 PM   #207
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
I agree. And flushing it is such a shame. Is it allowed to post recipes?

The description in that article gives me yet another idea:

How much nitroglycerine can you feed a hamster that it still survives for a couple of hours?
It's not the Nitro that the problem, it's the detonator...

In all seriousness, the question of different types of explosives inserted into various creatures has been investigated, and anything sensitive enough to detonate without an actual detonator would likely be detonated by the animals movements.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 08:46 PM   #208
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Spirit Airlines? Where anything you carry on is an extra fee?
Old 9th February 2018, 03:34 AM   #209
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Bad info from Spirit Air led me to flush pet hamster down airport toilet, student says

She is now considering suing Spirit Air.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...198971069.html
Animal cruelty charges against the owner would seem appropriate, along with a prohibition from profiting from such a vile act. If the airline are found to have any culpability maybe punitive damages could be paid to an animal welfare charity?
Old 9th February 2018, 06:33 AM   #210
Pterodactyl
Muse

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Animal cruelty charges against the owner would seem appropriate, along with a prohibition from profiting from such a vile act. If the airline are found to have any culpability maybe punitive damages could be paid to an animal welfare charity?
Meh. It's a hamster.
People kill mice in more horrible ways on a daily basis.
Sticky traps? Awful way to go.
Or the spring traps when they don't snap the neck, and you find the mouse alive?
I typically use a sudden deceleration technique. I have a lot of mice where I live.
Poisoning? I'm sure that's awful.

Considering her circumstances, if she was going to miss her flight and no one would take the hamster, euthanizing by flush isn't that bad an option.
I like it better than setting it free, where it will definitely die more horrible death.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 9th February 2018 at 06:35 AM.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 11:10 AM   #211
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Ever heard a peacock? They are LOUD. If this started squawking in an enclosed aircraft it would be painful.
The mentioned peacock is obviously in a state of emotional distress and its human owner is doing nothing to alleviate the animal's discomfort. Poor peacock. The bird needs to drop its uncaring owner and apply for a genuine, certified emotional-support human.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 01:38 PM   #212
Cain
Straussian

Re: Lawsuit

The solution here is so simple. Just get a Spirit employee to sternly tell the young lady/child NOT to sue.
Old 9th February 2018, 02:21 PM   #213
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I don't know what airlines you guys have been flying; but while I know airlines continue to include the "under the seat in front of you" as part of their carry-on spiel, I'm pretty sure it's purely vestigial language. There's no useful room to fit anything under the average airline seat.

A couple of years back I was able to work and jam a gym bag loosely packed with a few clothes and some snackage under one; but I was unable to retrieve the bag during flight - my feet took up all of the space I needed to pull it back into. I had to wait until after landing, actually until after the other passengers in my row had left, to pry the bag out.
I am old enough to remember when there was room enough under the seat in front to put a real piece of carry on luggage and still have space for one's feet. Now there isn't even enough room for my feet and perhaps an empty paper bag. And as you noted, god help you if you need or drop anything on the floor- it is impossible to reach down to the floor near one's feet (due to the proximity of the seat back in front of you) unless you ask everyone else in the row to stand up and move aside. Just tying one's shoe laces if undone requires contortions.

But hell, I remember when flying was a fun adventure. There was room to walk around the plane or even to stand out of the way of others. Two people could pass one another in the aisle. Why, there were even deli buffets in the back of coach on some red eye flights.... Enough- hey- you kids- get off my lawn!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:27 PM   #214
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Emotional support dog bites child on Southwest flight

Originally Posted by USA Today
A child was bitten by an emotional support dog on a Southwest Airlines plane in Phoenix late Wednesday, adding to the debate about the risks of an increasing number of in-flight animals.

The teeth of the dog scraped the child's forehead as the passenger approached it after boarding a flight bound for Portland, Ore., according to Southwest...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ines/362759002
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:03 AM   #215
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Emotional support dog bites child on Southwest flight

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ines/362759002
And the incident attracted an ignorant comment or two on Twitter:

Some Twitter users replied that the child should have not approached the medium-sized dog.

"When kids are touching service dogs, it may be time for parents to wise up,'' one post said.
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:59 AM   #216
Tolls
Illuminator

What does "approach" mean?
There's not exactly much space on a plane to get passed people.

And this was not a service dog, otherwise it would have been called a service dog.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 04:04 AM   #217
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
And the incident attracted an ignorant comment or two on Twitter:

Some Twitter users replied that the child should have not approached the medium-sized dog.

"When kids are touching service dogs, it may be time for parents to wise up,'' one post said.
It's not too much to expect that dogs allowed to be "service animals" would be at least well trained enough not to bite people. I've never seen a seeing eye dog evince the slightest hostility when approached by a stranger. Granted, people should know not to disturb such animals while they're working, but kids love petting doggies and it can be tough stopping them before they try.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 10:53 PM   #218
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Here's an alternative explanation.

Child says: "Cuddle Doggie!" and grabs the dog from behind in a bear hug.

The dog quickly moves its head, to see what is happening, and the child receives a scratch, not a bite, to the forehead.

(I've lost count of how many times I've been clonked by my dogs when they quickly turn their heads.)

A lot of kids don't understand that dogs are animals, they seem to treat them as cuddly toys.

A small child asked if she could "pat" one of my dogs, and then picked her up and ran back to her parents! I'm very glad that Laika didn't panic under those circumstances.
Old 25th February 2018, 12:57 AM   #219
GlennB

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

The dog quickly moves its head, to see what is happening, and the child receives a scratch, not a bite, to the forehead.
Possible, I suppose, but hard to picture on a plane, what with the seating arrangements and with little space in the aisles.
Old 25th February 2018, 06:06 AM   #220
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Spirit Airlines? Where anything you carry on is an extra fee?
The only thing complimentary on Spirit Airlines is the undisguised contempt for their customers.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 07:14 AM   #221
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

(I've lost count of how many times I've been clonked by my dogs when they quickly turn their heads.)....... snip
You're not seriously suggesting this is what might have happened are you?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 07:35 AM   #222
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
You're not seriously suggesting this is what might have happened are you?
That scenario was my first thought as well. I see it as quite possible.
Old 25th February 2018, 02:18 PM   #223
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That scenario was my first thought as well. I see it as quite possible.
Something similar occurred to me as a possibility too. My dog spent part of our afternoon at the pub today running away from children who wanted to pester him.
Old 25th February 2018, 02:28 PM   #224
GlennB

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Something similar occurred to me as a possibility too. My dog spent part of our afternoon at the pub today running away from children who wanted to pester him.
But on a plane? There's precious little space on a plane for a kid to 'grab the dog from behind'. Where would that happen? If the dog and owner were in an aisle seat and the kid was walking down the aisle then yes, just about, maybe.

Maybe I need to travel on more spacious planes
Old 25th February 2018, 04:04 PM   #225
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
But on a plane? There's precious little space on a plane for a kid to 'grab the dog from behind'. Where would that happen? If the dog and owner were in an aisle seat and the kid was walking down the aisle then yes, just about, maybe.

Maybe I need to travel on more spacious planes
The owner could have been in an aisle seat, they might have put the dog in the aisle, some people let their kids run around the aisles, maybe the dog owner was in the seat next to the child. Dog and child obviously did come into contact somehow whatever happened.
Old 25th February 2018, 04:11 PM   #226
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I normally fly United, EVA, Sun Country, Delta and Alaska. I normally take a small backpack like this one; https://www.adidas.com/us/stadium-ii...ck/CJ0344.html It fits under the set in front of me as long as it's not packed very full.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 07:27 PM   #227
mgidm86
Illuminator

Ban all non-human animals from boarding a plane. Make exceptions for dogs that are actually necessary for ones day to day activities, such as dogs for the blind, and that's it. No PTSD, no mice, no exceptions. We decide on a list and stick to it. The end.

Somehow people managed to fly for decades without "emotional support animals". If you need help just shout "Is there a psychologist on the plane?!"

HOWEVER, I would trade all of that for a "no children" policy in a heartbeat. It isn't the animals that bother me, it's the victim/idiot/douchey person that needs the duck on board that is irritating. Too many victims in this country.

Last edited by mgidm86; 25th February 2018 at 07:30 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2018, 07:56 PM   #228
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Ban all non-human animals from boarding a plane. Make exceptions for dogs that are actually necessary for ones day to day activities, such as dogs for the blind, and that's it. No PTSD, no mice, no exceptions. We decide on a list and stick to it. The end.

Somehow people managed to fly for decades without "emotional support animals". If you need help just shout "Is there a psychologist on the plane?!"
And again I have to stress there is zero chance of this happening.

This is not a legal battle. The fact that the law doesn't recognize "emotional support animals" as a thing, the fact that even the Americans with Disabilities Act (and similar laws in other countries) allows for even an actual legit service animal to be removed if the service animal is violent, ill mannered, or otherwise poses a threat, the fact that the only actual legit service animals are dogs and in a few rare cases ponies, the fact that service animals require actual professional training in order to perform an actual specific function...none of that matters in the slightest.

This... isn't... a... legal... battle. The legal battle is already settled. It is, across the board, 100% a battle of public relations damage control and there is zero way, zero, that in 2018 America the big evil corporation that is already on people's radar for poor customer service and booting people off flights is going to win in a public relations battle with the poor widdle disabled person and their adorable support giant anteater.

Disabled person + animals versus Big Evil Soulless Corporation. Vegas wouldn't even give you odds on that.
Old 25th February 2018, 08:17 PM   #229
Arisia
Graduate Poster

Two of those big, evil corporations have already restricted what 'emotional support animals' are allowed on flights. I have a feeling most of the flying public is not entirely on the side of the folks who think a peacock can truly be an 'emotional support animal', especially on the flight they've bought a ticket for.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2018, 04:38 AM   #230
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

HOWEVER, I would trade all of that for a "no children" policy in a heartbeat. It isn't the animals that bother me, it's the victim/idiot/douchey person that needs the duck on board that is irritating. Too many victims in this country.
Nothing there I disagree with. And that's speaking as someone who takes their dog pretty much everywhere. If I can't take him he gets left at home (or with someone depending on for how long) or I don't go. It ain't rocket surgery.
Old 27th February 2018, 05:50 PM   #231
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by ABC 15 News
Passenger Todd Rice posted the incident on Twitter, with a photo of the dog on the plane. He told ABC News that the girl tried to pet the animal.
https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...g-to-passenger
Old 28th February 2018, 04:08 PM   #232
autumn1971
Master Poster

So you need some kind of "space" that you feel is "safe" from such disturbing things?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 05:20 PM   #233
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

American Airlines bans insects, hedgehogs and goats as emotional support animals

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/14/news...icy/index.html
Old 15th May 2018, 05:41 PM   #234
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I read somewhere that a woman with a duck was denied boarding. I honestly can't imagine how a duck would be comforting unless I was eating it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 06:34 PM   #235
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Fortunately my emotional support animal is a tapeworm.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 06:35 PM   #236
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I read somewhere that a woman with a duck was denied boarding. I honestly can't imagine how a duck would be comforting unless I was eating it.
I'd rather have a flight of nothing but ducks then that peacock that one woman was trying to get on the flight as her support animal.
Old 16th May 2018, 02:00 AM   #237
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I need my emotional support cobra because I always seem to get sat next to really tense, scared people....
Old 16th May 2018, 02:08 AM   #238
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'd rather have a flight of nothing but ducks then that peacock that one woman was trying to get on the flight as her support animal.
I'd rather have the peacock than her on the flight, I'm sure that would also be a relief for the peacock!
Old 16th May 2018, 03:00 AM   #239
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Good. I can still carry both my emotional support skunk and sydney funnel web spider.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 04:20 AM   #240
wobs
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Good. I can still carry both my emotional support skunk and sydney funnel web spider.
Sorry, spiders are also banned.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events