ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags acupuncture , alternative medicine , veterinary acupuncture

Old 14th February 2018, 03:25 PM   #41
wasapi
Philosopher

I recall when cedar chips were "a natural way to rid your pet of fleas." Yeah, right. It produced better smelling fleas in those I knew to try it.

Also annoying, is that after having undergone 4 spine surgeries, I still come across people who "know of a great chiropractor" I should see. No. Just No.
Old 14th February 2018, 09:13 PM   #42
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
I just moved to a new town and I was looking for a veteranarian. I did a "Yelp" search and some other background work and found one nearby that had good reviews, so I called.

First thing they did was put me on a lengthy hold, which is a big red flag to me in the first place, but in their "on hold" message, they proudly touted that they will do acupuncture on your pet. Normally, I don't have any problem with people who want to have acupuncture done on themselves, but I am strongly against having it done on children below the age of consent and of course, animals who cannot sign consent form to have quacks perform alternative medicine on them. So I hung up and immediately scheduled them with a similarly rated vet a bit further away. I consider it worth another five minute drive

Anyone else have any feeling on whether you should subject pets to unproven treatments?
Nope, especially if you are expected to pay any money for it!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 09:15 PM   #43
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

And worse if the vet is actually a veteran Aryan!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 06:33 AM   #44
meredithhww
New Blood

I ageree with you!
meredithhww is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2018, 08:42 AM   #45
CORed
Philosopher

I passed on a conveniently located vet because they advertised homeopathy. Anybody with a veterinary education should realize that homeopathy is a load of nonsense. Either somebody managed to get through 4 years of pre-vet and 4 years of vet school without actually learning the basic science, or they are cynically offering a service that they know doesn't do anything to cater to idiots. Either way, I want nothing to do with them.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2018, 04:09 PM   #46
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Cat acupuncture? Just try it. Someone is going to get punctured mother ******.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moose.jpg (58.1 KB, 7 views)
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2018, 06:40 AM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Cat acupuncture? Just try it. Someone is going to get punctured mother ******.
Our cat is on a course of subcutaneous fluids. This involves shoving a huge ******* needle into her back.

The biggest problem we have is that she gets bored after a minute or so, and starts to walk away.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 11:53 AM   #48
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Moose's brother Squirrel had to have that done every week for the last few months he was alive. The vet taught me to do it but after one attempt I just took him in every week and paid the $17.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 08:58 AM   #49
Senex
Philosopher

My mother has had health problems and has a small parade of therapists and nurses coming and going through the house recently. I've asked about their opinion on animal acupuncture. They all support acupuncture but vary on aromatherapy. They pretty much all regard me suspiciously for my alternative therapy skepticism. I've even seemed to disturb one of my close neighbors when she admitted she would let her dog have acupuncture under the right circumstances.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 01:44 PM   #50
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

I do find that if I have a scented candle burning or a glade plug-in on the dog is less restless when I leave her alone and doesn't bark. I did it on the advise of a person on the interwebs, when I was desperate and didn't want to get kicked out of my building.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 04:40 PM   #51
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
I do find that if I have a scented candle burning or a glade plug-in on the dog is less restless when I leave her alone and doesn't bark. I did it on the advise of a person on the interwebs, when I was desperate and didn't want to get kicked out of my building.
So you're the wise guy stinking up the building. The barking was less unpleasant.

Try using a leather zap collar with copper hardware.

And let your dog just wear a hemp collar.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 01:42 PM   #52
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
So you're the wise guy stinking up the building. The barking was less unpleasant.

Try using a leather zap collar with copper hardware.

And let your dog just wear a hemp collar.
With a previous dog, I used a collar that sprayed water every time he barked. It worked for him and seemed less cruel to me.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 02:31 PM   #53
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
With a previous dog, I used a collar that sprayed water every time he barked. It worked for him and seemed less cruel to me.

I would never use a zap collar on an dog. Do you think I'm some kind of sadist? I recommended a hemp collar for your dog. The zap collar is for you for stinking up the place, spraying your dog and leaving him home alone too long. The copper hardware is to give your look a little class.
Old 25th October 2018, 02:45 PM   #54
The Shrike
Illuminator

Former student now in Vet School is *being trained in equine acupuncture* and swears by it. Every time she brings it up (on FB, etc.) and I express the bs that it is she provides lengthy retorts to the contrary. Okay . . .
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2018, 10:43 AM   #55
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Former student now in Vet School is *being trained in equine acupuncture* and swears by it. Every time she brings it up (on FB, etc.) and I express the bs that it is she provides lengthy retorts to the contrary. Okay . . .
I talked my neighbor out of taking her pony to the acupuncturist. I told her he was just a little hoarse.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:49 PM   #56
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
I talked my neighbor out of taking her pony to the acupuncturist. I told her he was just a little hoarse.
Insread of just a little prick?
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:00 AM   #57
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Insread of just a little prick?
I must say -- I've spoiled that woman
Old 6th November 2018, 09:29 AM   #58
Senex
Philosopher

One day my neighbor did take her pony to the acupuncturist vet for an illness. She asked the vet after he was finished if she will be able to still race the animal. He said, "Sure," "and you will probably beat him too."

The next day I saw the pony at the local watering hole. The pony was looking poorly. The pony ordered three shots of top shelf scotch and two pints of Guiness. After the pony finished his drinks he told the bartender he shouldn't have ordered that with what he has. The bartender asked him what he had. The pony said, "Three bucks and a carrot."
Old 6th November 2018, 05:01 PM   #59
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

I would use an acupuncturist vet only if my pet was a butterfly. Butterflies are used to it.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 08:47 AM   #60
Senex
Philosopher

I remember the day my acupuncturist believing neighbor moved in with her pony next door. I saw them in her back yard and walked over to introduce myself. My neighbor is fetching so I asked her out on a date. She laughed and said, "OK, I'll go out with you if you can make my pony laugh. If you fail no date and you have to pick up his poop every day for a month." I agreed. I walked up to her pony and whispered in his ear and he started laughing his head off. I walked back to my neighbor grinning. She looked very surprised and said, "Double or nothing. If you make him cry we come back to my house for dessert after the date but if you fail to make him cry no date at all." I agreed. I walked up to the pony with my back to the neighbor and the pony did indeed start to cry. I walked back to my neighbor triumphantly. She looked shocked.

"How did you make him laugh?" she asked.
"I told him my junk was bigger than his," I replied.
"Alright, but how did you make him cry?"
"I showed him."

OK, so a deal is a deal and my neighbor and I are at the movie theater waiting for The Dark Night Rises to start. The lights go down and the movie starts. Who do you think walks in and sits down right next to me? Yep, that darn pony. I'm thinking this is creepy but I'm determined not to acknowledge him until the movie is over. When the movie ends I turn to him and say, "Do you see any other ponies in here?" Why are you in this movie theater?"

The pony turns to me and says, "Well, I always enjoyed the comic books."
Old 9th November 2018, 08:45 AM   #61
Senex
Philosopher

The pony shared a nightmare with me (and not the one about the mare down the street).

But I'm a pony!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Really! I'm a pony!.jpg (69.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 21st November 2018, 06:17 PM   #62
Senex
Philosopher

So the acupuncture vet made a house call today and decided he would ride the pony. The pony took him for a heck of a ride and wouldn't stop. The vet saw me watching his perilous ride and yelled to me, "How do you get down from a pony?!"

I yelled back, "You don't. You get down from a duck." Then I went back in my house.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal