ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st February 2018, 10:35 AM   #41
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Of course, it's well known that there are fewer species than most people think; for example, otters are just wet cats.

Dave
I've just inadvertently shared that on my wife's Facebook because the screen jumped as I was clicking something else. I blame platypussies.
Old 1st February 2018, 10:36 AM   #42
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I find that assertion to be insulting to the orangutan.
Yes. Orangutans are perfect gentlemen. They'd just better not shave or go on reality TV as "Ape Dynasty."

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 10:37 AM   #43
Praktik
Philosopher

i keep vascillating but somehow i feel like this is an elaborate troll operation... a character hes playing

but then the whole youtube list is quite extensive - and weird - on his channel
“ it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. We’ll pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 10:51 AM   #44
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I have to say, a bit carefully, because we have a couple here, that I just HATE arrogant, condescending believers of any kind. The kind that try to spread ridicule, but are really spouting nonsense.

(Oh, I know some skeptics also use that style, and it also ain't pretty!)

Hans
Old 1st February 2018, 06:52 PM   #45
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Ah, the TRUTH comes out!

Is it just a coincidence that Hans was one of the first 3 people to comment on this thread? I think not!
Ha, I scoff at your pretense sir. Do not make me scoff at you again.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 07:47 PM   #46
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Take the orangutan. That's "Orang Hutan" Jungle Person in Malay/Indonesian.
Give one a shave and you have Alex Jones.
If you leave the head hair you have the current POTUS.
Old 1st February 2018, 10:05 PM   #47
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2018, 10:11 PM   #48
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

We do have deadly octopodes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ringed_octopus

And it's only the platypode males with the poisonous spur: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom

Of course, neither are real, so our blithering OP reference should have no issue cuddling up to one of the above. His agonising demise would be purely an evilutionist propaganda tactic.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 1st February 2018 at 10:13 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:35 AM   #49
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

There's got to be a convoluted pun involving Orange/Orang and Wu Tang Clan (utang Klan)... in there somewhere.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 01:12 AM   #50
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Rereading this thread (I couldn't stand seeing the video again) I must ask: Has anybody discovered WHY it is important to this person to claim that the Platypus is a hoax?

Hans
Old 5th February 2018, 01:59 AM   #51
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I don't know how common they are in the wild, but I saw one in a billabong in Victoria many years ago.......before computers were even a thing. I wonder why someone went to the trouble of making a model just to fool me, just a schoolkid at the time.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 02:04 AM   #52
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I don't know how common they are in the wild, but I saw one in a billabong in Victoria many years ago.......before computers were even a thing. I wonder why someone went to the trouble of making a model just to fool me, just a schoolkid at the time.
Lucky you. I've never seen a platypus in the wild, and just about every Australian marsupial, monotreme, reptile and mammal has been in my backyard.

I've seen splashes in rivers that may have been a platypus, but that's as close as I've got.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 02:26 AM   #53
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Lucky you. I've never seen a platypus in the wild.......
I know. No-one believed me.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 04:20 AM   #54
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Well, Wikipedia does say:

See? Even scientists declared it a fake. Case closed!!!
Its name is a fake, as the Encyclopaedia of Life reminds us.
The platypus was described scientifically for the first time by Dr George Shaw (1751-1813), who named it Platypus anatinus. Platypus is an anglicised Greek word meaning flat foot, probably referring to the web on its feet. Unfortunately this name had already been applied to a genus of beetles, so it had to be changed. Ornithorhynchus (bird-snout) replaced it.

Last edited by Craig B; 5th February 2018 at 04:22 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 04:57 AM   #55
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Rereading this thread (I couldn't stand seeing the video again) I must ask: Has anybody discovered WHY it is important to this person to claim that the Platypus is a hoax?

Hans
He's a creationist and a Platypus is 'prop' to promote evil evolution.

Han har roterende fis i kasketten
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 05:10 AM   #56
Mid
Muse

No, a shaved orangutan has bigger hands

Last edited by Mid; 5th February 2018 at 05:12 AM.
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 05:42 AM   #57
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Next thing is that they will be telling us is that Drop Bears aren't real......

Great video anyway. I'm convinced.
Oh come on, we all know that Australia is a hoax anyways. I mean really, Giant Rabbits that carry their offspring in a pouch? 9 of the world's 10 most deadly snakes? Giant Crocodiles that can live in the sea? A huge red plug in the middle to stop it from sinking? Inhabited for 40,000 years when it's neighbours haven't had humans for much more than 600!

Only a really idiot would fall for all of that sort of nonsense.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 06:36 AM   #58
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post

I know, but really? That is, after all, the beauty of creationism: Obviously God might have created even the most weird creatures.

Ja, men hvorfor ligefrem reklamere med det? Nåh jo, det er fordi han har ....

Hans
Old 5th February 2018, 07:10 AM   #59
dann
Illuminator

I love the google translation!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 08:04 AM   #60
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Lucky you. I've never seen a platypus in the wild. I've seen splashes in rivers that may have been a platypus, but that's as close as I've got.
Probably a beaver.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 08:23 AM   #61
Hans
Philosopher

I know, but really? That is, after all, the beauty of creationism: Obviously God might have created even the most weird creatures.

Hans
Yeah, the funny thing is it was seen and described in the scientific literature before Darwin or Wallace were even born.

The djævel at work!!!
Old 5th February 2018, 09:34 AM   #62
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Next up: Humans don't really exist. They're just shaved Chimps.
Well, not all that shaved, a couple of my friends, if they take their shirts off, it looks like they are wearing sweaters. Even with shaving, one of my coworkers, his 5 o'clock shadow starts at about 11 am.
Old 5th February 2018, 09:50 AM   #63
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, the funny thing is it was seen and described in the scientific literature before Darwin or Wallace were even born.

The djævel at work!!!
The Devil was setting the scene for his future strategy of promoting evolution. A similar argument was advanced by Christians when their opponents pointed out that features of Christianity were anticipated by earlier religions. So, said the Christians, the Devil was mockingly imitating Christianity even before it came into existence. There's pure evil for you!
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 10:17 AM   #64
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Hans

Hans
It isn't mentioned in the Bible, therefore has to be fake.
Old 5th February 2018, 10:59 AM   #65
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It isn't mentioned in the Bible, therefore has to be fake.
Also it doesn't chew the cud and cleave the hoof; therefore it is unclean. It's probably an abomination, in fact.
Old 5th February 2018, 11:47 AM   #66
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Also it doesn't chew the cud and cleave the hoof; therefore it is unclean. It's probably an abomination, in fact.
Wow, evolution created a real God (pun intended) damn abomination - good one nature!
Old 5th February 2018, 11:51 AM   #67
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Old 5th February 2018, 01:10 PM   #68
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Probably a beaver.
Are there even beavers in Australia? I know they're not native, but I don't know if they've ever been introduced.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 01:18 PM   #69
mgidm86
Illuminator

I made it through 14 seconds of the video. Last I heard was "...animals are fake, some are humans in suits"

He's correct about one. I can't tolerate hearing this kind of stuff anymore.
Old 5th February 2018, 01:40 PM   #70
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Are there even beavers in Australia? I know they're not native, but I don't know if they've ever been introduced.
You may have missed the joke......
Old 5th February 2018, 01:41 PM   #71
The Man

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Trap door beavers, they lay in wait in a small dugout covered with surrounding debris. As you pass they pop up and gnaw your legs off.
Old 5th February 2018, 02:10 PM   #72
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Trap door beavers, they lay in wait in a small dugout covered with surrounding debris. As you pass they pop up and gnaw your legs off.
That sounds like something that would evolve in Australia.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 5th February 2018 at 02:40 PM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 02:25 PM   #73
The Man

Pfft, American Opossums, you know right away there dangerous and can take action.

Australian possums, they hypnotize you with that too cute glare and then once you are close and unsuspecting

THEY STRIKE!

Sucking all the salt from your shriveling body.

Last edited by The Man; 5th February 2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo
The Man is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 03:01 PM   #74
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Indeed. Growing up my family never ate ham or plarypus. At least not with dairy.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 03:13 PM   #75
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Platypus being made up to support the theory of evolution is a weird proposal on many levels. Platypus are not particularly elegant examples of evolution IMO. There are no. extant transitional forms and platypus are one of only two living monotremes. The idea of having duck like beaks, webbed feet, and egg laying being all brought together in one animal is slightly more suggestive of a god on drugs and with a sense of humor than of evolution. Don't get me wrong- platipus are explained by evolution, but they are by no means the easiest example of evolution to present to an elementary school class.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 03:21 PM   #76
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I cannot tell if Hans is serious or satirical, but either way he has really captured the core of many conspiracy beliefs: "Hey, that looks odd to me given my ignorance and lack of education, experience, and understanding. Therefore it must be fake." Particularly amusing to me when applied to physics. APparently the real world must fit "common sense" so relativity and quantum mechanics must be wrong too.
Old 5th February 2018, 03:45 PM   #77
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Maybe it's because the platypus is as close as real life has gotten to the "crocoduck", the absence of which is often cited as proof that evolution isn't real.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 04:18 PM   #78
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
"crocoduck".
Old 6th February 2018, 01:30 PM   #79
Civet
Graduate Poster

Pretty funny, I thought. Looking at how many videos he has up it's remarkable how committed he is to this style of humor. Reminds me a bit of how long and thoroughly someone like Andy Kaufman or Ann Coulter would play out a gag.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2018, 02:18 PM   #80
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
That sounds like something that would evolve in Australia.

https://i.imgur.com/wdtKTVEl.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/5YIR4P4l.jpg
No similarity to the possums that live in my roof. Dirty, smelly, aggressive ****ers.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal