ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th February 2018, 03:43 AM   #1
steenkh
Philosopher

Do religious people have fewer traffic deaths?

Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall, and it is in Danish, so for most readers here, it is irrelevant anyway: Hvorfor dør religiøse mennesker sjældent i trafikken? Passer Gud på dem?
The title translates as "Why do religious people rarely die in road accidents? Does God protect them?". This was a surprising article to get with the Sunday papers, so I digged into it. The claim is that for every 39 male traffic deaths in Denmark, only one is a religious believer, whereas the numbers for females is 2 out of 25. The researchers from the University of Southern Denmark claim that they have adjusted for the relative numbers of believers vs non-believers.

It would be quite spectacular if we finally could get fool-proof evidence for the existence of God, and we could use such figures to determine if God is Protestant or Catholic, or if God is Muslim. We could perhaps also find out if God really hates atheists, or if the polytheist heresy is worse

Well, most of you will probably, like me, wonder how on Earth they determine the belief of the dead in the traffic? It turns out that this was one result of the case study of the health of baptists and adventists. So there is nothing about the strength of belief, only about the registered membership of these churches.

The figures was published in table format as part of a study is from 2011 but has only now drawn the interest of the media. Apparently a larger study is being prepared. The researchers themselves are aware of the many confounding factors that should be taken into consideration, such as do religious people drive more carefully? Do religious people drive less often, and so on.

But despite these reservations, the article stresses that the researchers cannot explain the result, and scientists tend to shy away from the question of the existence of God.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 03:59 AM   #2
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Do religious people have fewer traffic deaths?
They either do, or they don't.
Old 12th February 2018, 04:01 AM   #3
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Quick guess, based on nothing... More religious people tend to be concentrated in smaller, more rural communities and most traffic accidents occur in and around cities?

Or it's God, there's really no way to tell.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 04:08 AM   #4
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I believe there was a study a few years ago of Hassidic Jews in Israel that found there was a higher death rate crossing roads in more religious areas due to carelessness amoung people convinced that god was watching over them.

Between the paywall and the language I've no idea how they corrected for population, but my immediate thoughts are that traffic fatalities in the UK include a disproportionate number of young, male drivers. Religious belief is higher in the elderly population and immigrant groups who may (this is suppostion) be less likely to drive due to financial circumstances or because these communities tend to be most concentrated in urban areas where there is a higher cost of ownership and effective alternatives to driving.So I could believe correlation but would take a great deal more convincing of causation.

As an entirely anecdotal observation, my experience of cars on British roads with religious window stickers or fish symbols has long convinced me that there is a branch of Christianity that considers the Highway Code to be satanic in origin.

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 12th February 2018 at 04:17 AM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 04:12 AM   #5
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
....... my experience of cars on British roads with religious window stickers or fish symbols has long convinced me that there is a branch of Christianity that considers the Highway Code to be satanic in origin.
I don't think I have ever seen a religious sticker on a car. Ever. The only fish symbol I can think of is the Independent Scotland symbol, a white fish-like shape (derived from a cross) on a blue field.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 04:17 AM   #6
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I don't think I have ever seen a religious sticker on a car. Ever. The only fish symbol I can think of is the Independent Scotland symbol, a white fish-like shape (derived from a cross) on a blue field.
No? Around my way I see Ichthys quite often, with our without "Jesus" written inside.
Old 12th February 2018, 04:32 AM   #7
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

No? Around my way I see Ichthys quite often, with our without "Jesus" written inside.
Do you live in the 19th century, then?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 05:34 AM   #8
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Oxfordshire, the difference is fairly academic.
Old 12th February 2018, 06:29 AM   #9
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

The claim is that for every 39 male traffic deaths in Denmark, only one is a religious believer, whereas the numbers for females is 2 out of 25. The researchers from the University of Southern Denmark claim that they have adjusted for the relative numbers of believers vs non-believers.
I presume that last sentence must refer to comparison with the numbers in the general population, and that religiosity must be more than 1/39 or 2/25 of the population. But did it not give the number(s) for the general population?

Well, most of you will probably, like me, wonder how on Earth they determine the belief of the dead in the traffic? It turns out that this was one result of the case study of the health of baptists and adventists. So there is nothing about the strength of belief, only about the registered membership of these churches.
Registered church membership? How does that compare with surveys about people's religiosity? It sounds like it would underestimate the total because people can be religious, and even go to church regularly, without putting themselves on a church's list.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 07:05 AM   #10
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
There's also a possibility that religious people may drive less (it's another possible confounding factor). The figures should really be based more on a deaths-per-mile type measure, I'd think. The number of traffic deaths versus number of accidents would be an interesting measure, too (do they have less accidents, or the same amount but fewer deaths?).
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:09 AM   #11
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I presume that last sentence must refer to comparison with the numbers in the general population, and that religiosity must be more than 1/39 or 2/25 of the population. But did it not give the number(s) for the general population?
Unfortunately, no. There was also no source, but they did interview the professor Jens Søndergaard who appears to be the research leader behind the research team for General Practice at the University of Southern Denmark that published the results. He says that the research team has been poring over the results again and again in order to find the error. "But we did not find any. The finding is absurd. It is irritating. We have discussed back and forth what the reason could be. Without result" he said.

Quote:
Registered church membership? How does that compare with surveys about people's religiosity? It sounds like it would underestimate the total because people can be religious, and even go to church regularly, without putting themselves on a church's list.
In Denmark Baptists and Adventists are a tiny minority, and such minorities really tend to be more religious than the rest of the population. The majority belongs to the protestant state church ("Church of the People"). I was myself raised in the Catholic minority, and it was quite clear that being in a minority, people tend to take a more considered, if not outright fanatical view of religion. But you are right: among other minorities and the mainstream protestants there might also be strong believers. On the other hand, they could not have got a similar result with the State Church, because Danes are known to have a lot of atheists, and many people never deregister themselves from the Church, even if it means that they have to pay Church tax.

The State church has its own fanatical minority, but they tend to live in rural areas, away from the cities where baptists and adventists tend to live, I think.

--
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:34 AM   #12
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Here in the US we see plenty of religious stickers, and religious appliqués. Little crosses, doves,and of course the fish, often with "Jesus" written in it or with a cross for an eye. Having been brought up with some Christian education, I find those adumbrated fishes particularly annoying.

For those not familiar with it, the two-arc "fish" symbol is said, perhaps apocryphally, to have been a sort of secret sign of Christianity when Christians were persecuted. A person not sure of another's affiliation could casually trace an arc in the sand with his shoe or the like, which by itself was not suspicious, and if the other person was a Christian he'd make the other half. It may be a fish story, but it's kind of a nice one, but with a cross or a "Jesus" inside, it's just another piece of kneejerk glurge.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 10:01 AM   #13
Carlotta
Thinker

With the cross where its eye should be, it looks like a dead fish!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 12:38 PM   #14
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
With the cross where its eye should be, it looks like a dead fish!
Yes, I've often thought that as well. But then again, perhaps it's thus more realiistic. It's just that those people don't realize their complicity in killing it.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 12:56 PM   #15
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

https://www.amazon.com/Fish-N-Chips-.../dp/B000ETPA98
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 02:07 PM   #16
Swordfishtrombone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Quick guess, based on nothing... More religious people tend to be concentrated in smaller, more rural communities and most traffic accidents occur in and around cities?
That's a good point - at least here in Finland, it seems that smaller rural communities tend to be both more conservative and more religious than the denizens of larger cities, where there's more traffic.

Also, alcohol tends to play a part in many serious traffic accidents; and it may be that very conservative religious communities avoid alcohol.

It'd be interesting to read the paper - to see whether these sorts of factors were controlled for, and what the researcher's ideas on explaining the difference were.
Swordfishtrombone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 03:50 PM   #17
dann
Philosopher

Skeptica.dk (Facebook)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 04:58 PM   #18
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Swordfishtrombone View Post
That's a good point - at least here in Finland, it seems that smaller rural communities tend to be both more conservative and more religious than the denizens of larger cities, where there's more traffic.

Also, alcohol tends to play a part in many serious traffic accidents; and it may be that very conservative religious communities avoid alcohol.

It'd be interesting to read the paper - to see whether these sorts of factors were controlled for, and what the researcher's ideas on explaining the difference were.
Funnily enough I think the opposite could apply for the reasons I give above, also an urban population might be be expected to be involved in more accidents but at lower speed than those driving on less congested suburban and country roads or motorways, only fatalities were mentioned not accident or injury rates.
Old 12th February 2018, 07:51 PM   #19
Pterodactyl
Muse

I wonder why god would be particularly concerned with prolonging the lives of followers who happen to be using motor vehicles?

Long term, the death rate evens out.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:44 PM   #20
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I'd think not if they actually 'Let jesus take the wheel'.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 01:07 AM   #21
dann
Philosopher

The claim is that for every 39 male traffic deaths in Denmark, only one is a religious believer, whereas the numbers for females is 2 out of 25. The researchers from the University of Southern Denmark claim that they have adjusted for the relative numbers of believers vs non-believers.

Do they mention what "the relative numbers of believers vs non-believers" are? In itself the sentence is meaningless: "Hver gang 25 danske kvinder mister livet i trafikken, sker det kun for 2 religiøse kvinder." ('Every time 25 Danish women lose their lives in traffic, it happens to only 2 religious women.') Are only 2,6 per cent of Danish men and 8 per cent of Danish women religious?
Does the term "religious women" include all religions? New-age woos?
In a country as secularized as Denmark is, there are many 'discrete' Christians. They believe, but they know that many others consider it a little odd to do so. It's a very private thing to some people. On the other hand, many atheists are similarly discrete - not because they are ashamed or fear repercussions, but because they see no reason to offend their relatives and acquaintances who feel the need to believe.
In the streets of Copenhagen, you see quite a lot of pedestrian women wearing traditional Muslim garb, but very few drivers (and even fewer riding bikes) dressed like that. They also tend to be less 'spontaneous' in the way they move about. I've never seen one running to catch a bus, for instance. Same goes for Christian nuns, but we don't have many of those!

On the other hand, used-car salesman always claim that the car they're trying to sell you was owned by an elderly lady who only used it once a week to go to church! Traffic in Denmark isn't very heavy on Sunday mornings!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 13th February 2018 at 01:11 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 02:21 AM   #22
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

FWIW, I did a driving course a few years back and it was said that the vast majority of road fatalities in the UK (around 80-90%, IIRC) are on country roads because: Visibility isn't as good as on urban roads, with lots of blind bends, yet people tend to drive at the speed limit (60MPH, for the most part); they're further from emergency centres, meaning that ambulances, etc, will take longer to reach the injured; phone reception may not be as good, meaning that it might not even be possible to call for help; similarly, it's more sparsely populated, meaning the chances of a witness calling for help is smaller; and the fact that there are hedgerows and ditches and the like means that it may take longer, even considerably longer, for emergency services to find any injured. I don't know how much, if any, of that would apply to Denmark, or if the idea of people in rural areas being more or less religious is accurate or applies there, but I thought it might be relevant information.
Old 13th February 2018, 03:11 AM   #23
dann
Philosopher

But on the other hand, it should be so much easier for God to spot the accidents without the tall buildings to block the view.
Old 13th February 2018, 03:18 AM   #24
dann
Philosopher

It occurred to me that motorcyclists contribute disproportionately to the number of fatal accidents, especially considering that in Denmark most of us aren't on the road three to five months of the year.
I don't know how many motorcyclists are religious. I know that religious bikers do exist, but I've never met any.
Old 13th February 2018, 03:54 AM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Really, often see the fish on the back of cars. Probably a couple of times a week.
Old 13th February 2018, 06:32 AM   #26
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Really, often see the fish on the back of cars. Probably a couple of times a week.
There's been a bout of tuna-shaming among the religious recently.

Have you ever been tunashamed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tunashamed.jpg (96.7 KB, 3 views)
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 06:39 AM   #27
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm in the same part of the world and agree that sounds about right, but I see a similar number of parody "evolved" fish with little legs and "Darwin" written across the middle. It always strikes me as a misplaced* joke here since the great majority of British Christians have absolutely no problem with evolution.

*A fish out of water, no less. Sorry.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 06:40 AM   #28
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I see a few of them here in Suffolk, where it's more or less the 1970s. I think I see more, though, where the word "Evolve" is written inside the fish, which has four legs and is often holding a spanner with one of the front pair.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 07:57 AM   #29
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
It's a loving and caring god that saves his followers from a quick death and allows them years of pain and anguish instead. So inspiring!
Old 13th February 2018, 08:49 AM   #30
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
It's a loving and caring god that saves his followers from a quick death and allows them years of pain and anguish instead. So inspiring!
Except of course for the ones he takes to his loving bosom earlier, which is of course equally inspiring.

Old 13th February 2018, 10:23 AM   #31
dann
Philosopher

Years of pain and anguish?!
He keeps them healthy and even cures the flu!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 13th February 2018, 11:31 AM   #32
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Years of pain and anguish?!
He keeps them healthy and even cures the flu!
Until they mess up and tick him off.

Or they need to be "tested".

Or he makes a bet with Satan.
Old 13th February 2018, 12:02 PM   #33
dann
Philosopher

But to a God-fearing Christian that's not a deal-breaker at all.
You just gotta praise him and work so much harder to try to avoid ticking him off! It's no surprise that the Evangelicals stay faithful to Trump and believe in him in spite of all his obvious flaws. They've been trained to live with cognitive dissonance all their lives!
Old 13th February 2018, 12:30 PM   #34
Swordfishtrombone
Master Poster

Funnily enough I think the opposite could apply for the reasons I give above, also an urban population might be be expected to be involved in more accidents but at lower speed than those driving on less congested suburban and country roads or motorways, only fatalities were mentioned not accident or injury rates.
Well, at least in Finland, the most heavily populated area - Helsinki and it's surrounding cities - have several highways with faster traffic, AND those roads have much heavier traffic than highways outside this area.

There's little congestion also in these highways close to the most urban areas, outside morning and late afternoon traffic, so most of the time the speeds are at, or a little above the speed limit.

Now that I think of it though, there's another confounding factor, and that is the risk of hitting a deer or a moose on the road (and raindeer, I if you go far enough north) - collisions with moose can be very dangerous. You do have that risk in the larger Helsinki area too, but to a lesser degree than when you go to the less populated areas.

I think there are so many possible factors influencing the risk of fatal crashes in these areas, that it makes it a difficult task to untangle them all.
Swordfishtrombone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 02:04 PM   #35
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

I'm sure there is some ungodly explanation for this.
Old 13th February 2018, 02:17 PM   #36
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Here in the US we see plenty of religious stickers, and religious appliqués. Little crosses, doves,and of course the fish, often with "Jesus" written in it or with a cross for an eye. Having been brought up with some Christian education, I find those adumbrated fishes particularly annoying.

<snip>

Yard signs seem to have been gaining in popularity around here.

This one in particular;

quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 02:54 PM   #37
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Some Mormons believe that their Temple GarmentWPs () offer them physical protection from such things as car accidents.

Maybe it's true? But I imagine there aren't enough Mormons around to skew the stats that much ...
Old 13th February 2018, 07:41 PM   #38
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Do they mention what "the relative numbers of believers vs non-believers" are? In itself the sentence is meaningless: "Hver gang 25 danske kvinder mister livet i trafikken, sker det kun for 2 religiøse kvinder." ('Every time 25 Danish women lose their lives in traffic, it happens to only 2 religious women.') Are only 2,6 per cent of Danish men and 8 per cent of Danish women religious?
I too can't understand this part, but I tend to be generous to the researchers, and assume that it is the journalist who has garbled the data.

Quote:
Does the term "religious women" include all religions? New-age woos?
No, that is mentioned in the article: apparently the religious believers are the registered members of baptist and adventist churches.

--
Old 13th February 2018, 08:34 PM   #39
Swordfishtrombone
Master Poster

No, that is mentioned in the article: apparently the religious believers are the registered members of baptist and adventist churches.
Just Baptists and Adventists? That's bizarre - the overwhelmingly dominant denomination in Denmark, as in all over Scandinavia, is Lutheran. I'm pretty sure Baptists and Adventists make up a tiny minority of the religious people in Denmark.

Of course, the majority that are Lutheran on the books aren't very religious at all - I suspect that people who identify as belonging to one of the more minor denominations, will tend to be more religious. But there really aren't that many of them in Denmark. Just checked the wikipedia entry on Denmark, and 75.9% of the population are members of the Church of Denmark, that is Lutheran. (The vast majority of whom don't regularly attend church services, and only 19% consider religion important to their lives.)

Last edited by Swordfishtrombone; 13th February 2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 14th February 2018, 03:02 PM   #40
mgidm86
Illuminator

You've never seen the "God Is My Co-Pilot" stickers? God being in the passenger seat could explain the lower rates.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal