ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:46 PM   #1
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Elementary Knightship!

The first ever elementary knightship has been discovered in Conway's Game of Life. Jump into the rabbit hole here: http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/vie...php?f=2&t=3303
Old 8th March 2018, 07:42 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

WTF is a knightship, and WTF should we care?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Something to help you achieve nerdvana is my guess.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:05 PM   #4
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's fascinating stuff. I assume you're familiar with Conway's Game of Life and other cellular automata where a simple set of rules can lead to many emergent structures. Mathematicians and enthusiasts have been studying the system for over 40 years. They've built fascinating machines inside the game, including a Universal Turing Machine, and even another 'higher order' game of life within the original game.

A knight ship is an object that appears to move across the game board in a certain way. It is not vertically or horizontally, and also not at a 45 degree angle, but rather at a trajectory of two squares across per each square up or down. They are mathematically difficult to construct, and an elementary knightship has been one of the holy grails of the search for the past 20 or so years.

As to why you should care, I don't think it is necessary - but I do find it an interesting field of pure math.

Last edited by sir drinks-a-lot; 8th March 2018 at 08:07 PM.
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 10:51 PM   #5
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Thanks, that is really cool.

This is a knightship.

You can click on SHOW IN VIEWER, at the top of the CODE box in the link sir drinks-a-lot posted to see it in action.

Go Sir Robin go!

Last edited by Cheetah; 8th March 2018 at 10:52 PM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 12:00 AM   #6
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Se˝ora la Reina de los ┴ngeles de Porci˙ncula
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post

Go Sir Robin go!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
A knight ship is an object that appears to move across the game board in a certain way. It is not vertically or horizontally, and also not at a 45 degree angle, but rather at a trajectory of two squares across per each square up or down. They are mathematically difficult to construct, and an elementary knightship has been one of the holy grails of the search for the past 20 or so years.
That is quite interesting. What's the difference between an elementary knight ship and just a knight ship?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 09:33 PM   #8
ceptimus
puzzler

Some spaceships are composed of groups of smaller spaceships plus some connecting structure, but elementary spaceships cannot be split into smaller parts.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 10:58 AM   #9
crhkrebs
Muse

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
........but elementary spaceships cannot be split into smaller parts.
Oh no, irreducible complexity? Quick, someone call Michael Behe!

As for the discovery of an elemental knightship, we'll count me as one in nerdvana too.

Last edited by crhkrebs; 12th March 2018 at 10:59 AM.
crhkrebs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 09:08 PM   #10
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
This thread keeps giving me a mental image of the blue astronaut character from the LEGO Movie running around arranging blocks in a Life pattern while yelling "ELEMENTARY KNIGHTSHIP!"

Video reference:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology