IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , telescopes

Old 29th December 2021, 10:50 AM   #281
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting that they have temperature data in both F and C, but not Kelvin, which would be the most useful.

Currently -153 C on the cold side, which is 120 K, if my math is correct. Seems that the heat shield is already working, even though it isn't even deployed yet.
Old 29th December 2021, 10:54 AM   #282
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
After a successful launch of NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope Dec. 25, and completion of two mid-course correction maneuvers, the Webb team has analyzed its initial trajectory and determined the observatory should have enough propellant to allow support of science operations in orbit for significantly more than a 10-year science lifetime. (The minimum baseline for the mission is five years.)
Something told me they were lowballing it. This is great news though. But still a lot of things left to do before we pop the champange.
Old 29th December 2021, 10:59 AM   #283
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Currently -153 C on the cold side, which is 120 K, if my math is correct. Seems that the heat shield is already working, even though it isn't even deployed yet.
-153 C isn't particularly cold for the dark side of an object in this region of space. Night time temperatures on the Moon can get colder than that.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2021, 11:05 AM   #284
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
-153 C isn't particularly cold for the dark side of an object in this region of space. Night time temperatures on the Moon can get colder than that.
yes, but on a stellar body, heat can be transferred through other means than just radiation - James Webb can only cool itself via radiation.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2021, 11:12 AM   #285
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
yes, but on a stellar body, heat can be transferred through other means than just radiation - James Webb can only cool itself via radiation.
Huh? How many stars do you think there are near Earth? I only know of the one. And how do stars cool themselves besides radiation? I wouldn't think the solar wind is doing much of the cooling of the Sun.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2021, 11:30 AM   #286
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Huh? How many stars do you think there are near Earth? I only know of the one. And how do stars cool themselves besides radiation? I wouldn't think the solar wind is doing much of the cooling of the Sun.
any mass in space can transmit heat via thermal conduction, thermal convection and thermal radiation. Colder patches on the Moon (or relatively colder patches on the Sun) can act as heat sinks.
the Heat shield of James Webb, on the other hand, can only remove the heat of photon absorption via radiation. it does that by cleverly letting the infrared radiation reflect until it is bounced out at the side.
people say that space is cold, but it would be more accurate to say that it has no temperature.

- Robert M. Pirsig

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 29th December 2021 at 11:31 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2021, 11:56 AM   #287
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Still confused by what you are saying. I was talking about the night side of the Moon. There would be no convection there and conduction would be from other parts of the Moon which would make it a warming mechanism, not a cooling mechanism.

And what stellar object were you referring to?
Old 29th December 2021, 12:47 PM   #288
ohms
Graduate Poster

Deleted. Missed some posts.

Last edited by ohms; 29th December 2021 at 12:52 PM.
ohms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2021, 01:12 PM   #289
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Still confused by what you are saying. I was talking about the night side of the Moon. There would be no convection there and conduction would be from other parts of the Moon which would make it a warming mechanism, not a cooling mechanism.

And what stellar object were you referring to?
only the top layer of the Moon gets exposed to photons (even the dark side is catching some) that heat is conducted deeper into the ground, which acts as a heat sink.
Webb can't do that.
therefore, your comparison of Moon and Webb was not appropriate.

- Robert M. Pirsig
Old 29th December 2021, 01:29 PM   #290
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

only the top layer of the Moon gets exposed to photons (even the dark side is catching some) that heat is conducted deeper into the ground, which acts as a heat sink.
Webb can't do that.
therefore, your comparison of Moon and Webb was not appropriate.
Uh, no. The Moon's surface would be a heat source on the night side. And besides, my statement is true for astronauts floating in space and for the ISS. The cold side temperature of Webb right now is not unusual. It's not unusually cold for an object that isn't explicitly trying to be cold.
Old 29th December 2021, 01:39 PM   #291
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting that they have temperature data in both F and C, but not Kelvin, which would be the most useful.

Currently -153 C on the cold side, whicJWSTh is 120 K, if my math is correct. Seems that the heat shield is already working, even though it isn't even deployed yet.
It is expected that JWST will take many weeks too cool down to its operational temperature of 40K. The instruments must be cooled slowly to avoid outgassing, so they have begun cooling and will continue to do so throughout the telescope commissioning.

MIRI (Mid-Infrared Instrument) is the most sensitive to temperature of all the instruments on board, and it will take at least three months to reach its final operating temperature.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2021, 05:09 PM   #292
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The Deployable Tower Assembly (the structure that holds the mirrors and the instrument housing) has now been deployed. It has been extended "up" about two metres to give clearance for the sun shield to deploy.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2021, 05:20 PM   #293
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like they used less fuel than they expected on the course correction burns, leaving more fuel and therefore a longer potential operations life.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2021/12/...-expectations/
Cullen Hightower
Old 29th December 2021, 05:31 PM   #294
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
And NASA says the launch was very good and the corrections used much less propellant than expected, possibly giving the telescope a longer mission life.
The launch was unvelievably accurate:

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
There's nominal and then there's nominal.

https://i.redd.it/9uynjtjms2881.jpg

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2021, 04:06 AM   #295
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

Jesus, I can't even hang wallpaper that accurately!!!
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2021, 05:49 AM   #296
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeiQEG450gc

How James Webb's Deployments MUST Work (Launch Pad Astronomy)
That was really interesting, thanks.
Old 30th December 2021, 12:12 PM   #297
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The Aft Momentum Flap has been deployed (this used to minimize the effect of solar pressure that would otherwise push the telescope out of its orbit)

The sun shield covers have been opened, so they are getting ready to extend, first the port then the starboard sun shield - nervous times!
Cullen Hightower
Old 30th December 2021, 12:21 PM   #298
wobs
Master Poster

Well it's not brain surgery.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 30th December 2021, 12:37 PM   #299
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Well it's not brain surgery.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
That is a great skit.
Old 30th December 2021, 01:46 PM   #300
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The sun shield covers have been opened, so they are getting ready to extend, first the port then the starboard sun shield - nervous times!
Port and starboard sound like terms ripe for confusion.
Old 30th December 2021, 01:49 PM   #301
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

NASA reports Webb has fuel for "decade-plus" of operation.

Quote:
NASA announced Wednesday morning, Webb may get to peer deep into the universe for even longer than expected: Webb used less of its limited supply of propellant during two course-correction thruster burns after launch than expected, and the space agency says it should have enough left over to enable operations “significantly” longer than the expected 10-year mission.

That’s particularly important for Webb, which will operate too far from Earth to be serviced or refueled like the aging Hubble telescope. If all continues to go well with Webb’s deployment and testing over the coming months, today’s fuel savings will mean several tomorrows’ stunning images of the most distant galaxies in our universe.
https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2021/12/...-expectations/
Old 30th December 2021, 01:55 PM   #302
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Let's just hope it doesn't turn turtle.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2021, 10:09 PM   #303
Fidelio
Graduate Poster

Little known fact. All distances will be computed in fathoms.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2021, 10:28 PM   #304
Fidelio
Graduate Poster

Having thought about this for a bit. All the cables, pulleys, and assorted machines necessary to deploy the heat shield. Yeah, the nautical reference is entirely appropriate.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2021, 02:05 AM   #305
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Not at all.

Spacecraft have been using nautical terminology since the 1950s and 60s.

The rear bulkhead on the Apollo CM (the bulkhead at the blunt end) was referred to as the "aft bulkhead". The heat shield at that end was called the "aft heat shield", but what many people don't know is that there was also a heat shield at the pointy end called, of course, the "foreward heat shield" and the crew compartments were also referred to as "fore" and "aft"

Directions in Skylab were referred to as fore/aft/port/starboard/overhead/deck. So too was the Space Shuttle and so is the ISS

Why not use nomenclature that is already well understood?

By any measure you would like to name, the JWST is a spacecraft. The telescope mirror points "forward", so "port" is on the left, "starboard" is on the right. How simple is that?
Cullen Hightower
Old 31st December 2021, 02:06 AM   #306
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I prefer sherry.

- Robert M. Pirsig
Old 31st December 2021, 02:09 AM   #307
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I prefer sherry.
Philistine!
Cullen Hightower
Old 31st December 2021, 02:15 AM   #308
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I think the words should be adopted for vehicles of all sorts. Cars, for example.

Because left and right are relative directions, but port and starboard are always unambiguous.
Old 31st December 2021, 07:44 AM   #309
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

The telescope mirror points "forward", so "port" is on the left, "starboard" is on the right. How simple is that?
Which way is left and right? For that matter up and down/front and back aren't clear either. Port and starboard are defined by function on boats and boats have a well defined front and back. Not seeing either of those here. You've even defined "forward" in terms of thing that moves. What reference point that is asymmetric is actually being used here?

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 31st December 2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 31st December 2021, 07:50 AM   #310
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

As I recall Mad Magazine explaining it, first, "port" and "left" both have four letters, so port is left. Then starboard remains to be defined, so starboard is left.

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2021, 08:04 AM   #311
3point14
Pi

Which way is left and right? For that matter up and down/front and back aren't clear either. Port and starboard are defined by function on boats and boats have a well defined front and back. Not seeing either of those here. You've even defined "forward" in terms of thing that moves. What reference point that is asymmetric is actually being used here?
Which is port and which is starboard isprobably very well understood by those that need to know. Whatever term you choose is going to be based on an arbitrary choice on which side is which.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2021, 08:08 AM   #312
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Because left and right are relative directions, but port and starboard are always unambiguous.
Yeah. That's the problem but note that Smartcooky's post above defines starboard and port in terms of left and right.

There seems to be a lot of ambiguity to me, hopefully the controllers are using something unambiguous to define this. Something easier to keep straight than feet or meters, for example.

Even the assignment of the axe's seem ambiguous. I can see myself thinking of the telescope/bus asymmetry as either defining forward/backward (during travel in space), up/down (during launch), or left/right (during it's assembly).

And smartcooky used the direction the telescope is pointing to define forward. Doesn't that change during operation?

ETA: The last question I asked above prompted me to look in to JWST's pointing mechanism. Seems it has less pointing capability than I expected but I'm not sure I've found a good description yet.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 31st December 2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 31st December 2021, 01:09 PM   #313
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

And smartcooky used the direction the telescope is pointing to define forward. Doesn't that change during operation?.
Nope. The telescope mirror, assembly remains fixed. The whole spacecraft is rotated to the direction it needs to be pointed using reaction wheels so fore, aft, port, starboard, overhead and deck remain the same regardless of where it is pointed (as it was for Apollo, Skylab, IRAS, Spitzer, and the shuttle orbiters, and as it still is for Chandra, , WFIRST, Hubble and the ISS)

ETA: Here is a great description, once again by Scott Manley, explaining the telescope pointing and its limitations. The link is time coded to the point you would be interested in here, but the whole 17 minute video is worth watching.

https://youtu.be/cp_7AJseYYc?t=377
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 31st December 2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 31st December 2021, 01:39 PM   #314
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Sunshield deployment has just commenced.
Cullen Hightower
Old 31st December 2021, 01:45 PM   #315
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks. I found most of what I was looking for at Wikipedia but Scott Manley is always good to watch and I'll check that out later. Much less pointing ability than I had thought and it looks to me like it there will be very limited opportunities to take really long exposures though I'm not sure that's really a problem for doing science since we expect the universe to be homogeneous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Telescope_Element (and other related articles).
Old 31st December 2021, 04:24 PM   #316
miatasport99
Scholar

Sunshield deployment has just commenced.
Where do you go to learn this? I'm watching the "Where is Webb" link at NASA, but it still says "Sunshield Cover Release" like it did yesterday. The cold side telemetry is finally starting to move down though. Is this because there's a partial shield deployment??
miatasport99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2021, 06:34 PM   #317
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by miatasport99 View Post
Where do you go to learn this? I'm watching the "Where is Webb" link at NASA, but it still says "Sunshield Cover Release" like it did yesterday. The cold side telemetry is finally starting to move down though. Is this because there's a partial shield deployment??

From the "Launchpad Astronomy" YouTube channel live updates

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNq...fqimqHkgbWMNYA

"Where is Webb" is only updated when the deployment has been completed. Currently, it says that the Port Sunshield Boom has deployed.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 31st December 2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 31st December 2021, 09:07 PM   #318
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The Starboard Sunshield Boom has deployed

All 107 "non-explosive" release devices associated with the sunshield deployment successfully released. The two mid-boom arms are locked in their final position, and over the next few days the the membranes will separate into the five layers and will be tensioned.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 31st December 2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old 31st December 2021, 09:43 PM   #319
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The Starboard Sunshield Boom has deployed

All 107 "non-explosive" release devices associated with the sunshield deployment successfully released. The two mid-boom arms are locked in their final position, and over the next few days the the membranes will separate into the five layers and will be tensioned.
Yay!

That's a significant fraction of the mechanisms that needed to actuate properly, isn't it? I seem to recall there were something over 300 in total.

I'm starting to think this may actually work. Still a lot more things need to go right though.
Old 31st December 2021, 11:51 PM   #320
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yay!

That's a significant fraction of the mechanisms that needed to actuate properly, isn't it? I seem to recall there were something over 300 in total.

I'm starting to think this may actually work. Still a lot more things need to go right though.

Not quite that many. There are 178 of these types of "non-explosive actuators", and the sunshield has 140 of them, as well as 70 hinge assemblies, 400 pulleys, 90 cables and eight deployment motors, all of which have to work properly for the five layers to deploy as planned.

Other actuators were/are involved in the release of the solar array, the antenna, the fore and aft pallets, the mirror tower, the momentum flap, the secondary mirror support, the aft radiator, and the primary mirror "wings".

but there are many other "single point of failure" actions
Cullen Hightower

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology