ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 7th April 2018, 07:37 AM   #1
Tinfoil Hater
Graduate Poster

Who determines the number of genders- and how?

As I understand it there are 39 genders, but the number may in fact be in the thousands. By what scientific rubric is the philosophy of infinite genders achieved? 39 genders seems a bit high, but I have been told there could be so to 10,000 ( and if I dont agree I'm apparently a 'bigoted cis white male'). Okay if there are many genders , how is this determined?
Old 7th April 2018, 07:53 AM   #2
Thermal
Illuminator

The whole multiple gender thing is a fad, socially defined rather than scientifically. It will pass, leaving the few real genders acknowledged and the rest re categorized as personality types, identity disorders, and make-pretend.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 08:04 AM   #3
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The whole multiple gender thing is a fad, socially defined rather than scientifically. It will pass, leaving the few real genders acknowledged and the rest re categorized as personality types, identity disorders, and make-pretend.
Gender is socially defined. Everything you say about it being a "fad" is exactly as true for "traditional" binary gender identification.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Gender is socially defined. Everything you say about it being a "fad" is exactly as true for "traditional" binary gender identification.
Right. And the social science definitions are currently including far more subtypes than are practical. The logical extension is to arrive at a unique gender for every individual, making gender identification pointless. By 'traditional', I assume you mean male and female. These correspond to biological sex, so have some observational basis. Things like 'gender fluid' are more like how you are feeling today. Those types, I think, will get reclassified.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Right. And the social science definitions are currently including far more subtypes than are practical. The logical extension is to arrive at a unique gender for every individual, making gender identification pointless. By 'traditional', I assume you mean male and female. These correspond to biological sex, so have some observational basis. Things like 'gender fluid' are more like how you are feeling today. Those types, I think, will get reclassified.
Male and female are not genders that correspond to biological sex, they are the terms for that.

Masculine and feminine are the genders. They are both socially determined and socially derived in a somewhat chicken-and-egg fashion.

This is where the tapatalk signature that annoys people used to be
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 09:19 AM   #6
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Not exactly. Traditional gender is defined socially but uses easily identifiable traits in the definition. In other words, mostly you can tell traditional gender simply by seeing someone in their everyday clothing doing their everyday things.

The new age, mumbo-jumbo gender mostly has no identifiable, or even defined, traits. In order to tell some people's gender under this new system, you have to know how they were born, how they are raised, what they feel at this moment, and at various other moments in their lives, what the cool kids are doing, what direction the wind is blowing, and whether the individual has had their first bowel movement of the day or not. (For brevity I skipped over a few thousand markers used by new agers.)
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

I was about to post this in another thread, but it might as well go here.

https://lascapigliata8.wordpress.com...d-perperators/

Also this.

http://mirandayardley.com/en/how-tra...-labour-party/

If "gender" is just another word for personality type it's a fairly harmless conceit, but when it leads to the opening of women's protected spaces to male-bodied individuals purely on their say-so that they "identify" as something other than male, women are in real danger.

Many autogynaephilic cross-dressers actually hate women for being what they want to be but can never be. Their motivation for entering women's protected spaces is not to blend in but to occupy and colonise, enjoying the discomfort of women perceiving a male-bodied individual in a women's space. Peeping toms, exhibitionists, voyeurs and other varieties of general creep are now "identifying" as women to gain access to women's locker-rooms and bathroom facilities - not to mention domestic violence shelters - whether or not they normally present as trans. Effeminate boys are being allowed to join the Girl Guides and go on residential camps, sharing sleeping and bathroom facilities with girls. It has been made explicit that the girls' parents are not to be told that their daughters are sleeping in the same room as a male-bodied boy, and any girl who expresses discomfort or objects is labelled a transphobe and publicly shamed.

Mediocre men are competing against women in sports at all levels, and although elite-level sports limit the plasma testosterone concentrations these men are allowed to have, no consideration is given to the physical advantages of having an adult male body which went through male puberty. At school and amateur level even testosterone isn't checked. Girls who have trained hard and been beaten by these boys are publicly biting their lips, choking back their tears, and issuing politically correct statements about how well "Susan" has done and they support her brave stance to adopt her "true identity".

Young children who happen to like clothes and/or toys deemed more appropriate for the opposite sex are now being fast-tracked into a life of permanent medicalisation, disfiguring surgery and serious medical consequences resulting from the use of powerful hormones to try to mimic the endocrinology of the opposite sex. As one masculine-presenting woman who was old enough to avoid being railroaded recently said, "I screamed and screamed that I was a boy, but I didn't want to be a boy, I wanted the things that boys had. The short hair and the skateboard and the jeans and the Power Rangers t-shirt." Girls like her are now being encouraged to have mastectomies and take testosterone.

It's the most horrendously sexist thing imaginable. You're a girl and you like blue and short hair and Meccanno, or you're a boy and you like pink glitter and Barbie dolls, you must have been born in the wrong body, never mind, we'll change it for you and we'll make you feel so special and brave for being an amazing trans-kid!

And don't get me started on rapid-onset gender dysphoria, which has replaced anorexia nervosa as the destructive social contagion among adolescent girls who hate their bodies. At least with anorexia nervosa nobody "affirmed" the skeletal waif in her belief that she was grossly obese. Girls with ROGD are being hailed as brave and special and offered testosterone as young as thirteen. You might as well give an anorectic girl a calorie-controlled diet sheet and schedule her for gastric band surgery.

So no, all this gender stuff isn't harmless, it's destroying lives right now. It will blow over the way the recovered memories of Satanic abuse thing blew over, but in the mean time some kids are being seriously damaged. I hate to think what the lawsuits are going to look like by the time these adolescents reach middle-age and the consequences of the hormones they've been given really start to bite.
Old 7th April 2018, 11:10 AM   #8
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I was about to post this in another thread, but it might as well go here.

https://lascapigliata8.wordpress.com...d-perperators/

Also this.

http://mirandayardley.com/en/how-tra...-labour-party/

If "gender" is just another word for personality type it's a fairly harmless conceit, but when it leads to the opening of women's protected spaces to male-bodied individuals purely on their say-so that they "identify" as something other than male, women are in real danger.
I wasn't aware that the discussion about gender had been transformed into the victimization of woman. Are men ever victimized?

Many autogynaephilic cross-dressers actually hate women for being what they want to be but can never be. Their motivation for entering women's protected spaces is not to blend in but to occupy and colonise, enjoying the discomfort of women perceiving a male-bodied individual in a women's space. Peeping toms, exhibitionists, voyeurs and other varieties of general creep are now "identifying" as women to gain access to women's locker-rooms and bathroom facilities - not to mention domestic violence shelters - whether or not they normally present as trans. Effeminate boys are being allowed to join the Girl Guides and go on residential camps, sharing sleeping and bathroom facilities with girls. It has been made explicit that the girls' parents are not to be told that their daughters are sleeping in the same room as a male-bodied boy, and any girl who expresses discomfort or objects is labelled a transphobe and publicly shamed.
I share in your frustration. In the US, when the national discussion of allowing an individual to use the restroom of their choice was presented, the public was assured that no harm would come from allowing people to use the restroom of their choice based on their chosen identify. If you voiced your opposition to this policy you were prejudiced, confused about your sexuality, or subjected to another type of shaming, psychoanalysis or personal attack.

Mediocre men are competing against women in sports at all levels, and although elite-level sports limit the plasma testosterone concentrations these men are allowed to have, no consideration is given to the physical advantages of having an adult male body which went through male puberty. At school and amateur level even testosterone isn't checked. Girls who have trained hard and been beaten by these boys are publicly biting their lips, choking back their tears, and issuing politically correct statements about how well "Susan" has done and they support her brave stance to adopt her "true identity".
Are you suggesting we should resort to the previous state of affairs?

Young children who happen to like clothes and/or toys deemed more appropriate for the opposite sex are now being fast-tracked into a life of permanent medicalisation, disfiguring surgery and serious medical consequences resulting from the use of powerful hormones to try to mimic the endocrinology of the opposite sex. As one masculine-presenting woman who was old enough to avoid being railroaded recently said, "I screamed and screamed that I was a boy, but I didn't want to be a boy, I wanted the things that boys had. The short hair and the skateboard and the jeans and the Power Rangers t-shirt." Girls like her are now being encouraged to have mastectomies and take testosterone.

It's the most horrendously sexist thing imaginable. You're a girl and you like blue and short hair and Meccanno, or you're a boy and you like pink glitter and Barbie dolls, you must have been born in the wrong body, never mind, we'll change it for you and we'll make you feel so special and brave for being an amazing trans-kid!
How many children are proceeding with these surgeries that regret having made that choice later in life? During my childhood, if a girl wanted to do boy things we simply called her a tomboy. Do you believe that invoking that label (tomboy) is a healthier state of affairs than our current status?

And don't get me started on rapid-onset gender dysphoria, which has replaced anorexia nervosa as the destructive social contagion among adolescent girls who hate their bodies. At least with anorexia nervosa nobody "affirmed" the skeletal waif in her belief that she was grossly obese. Girls with ROGD are being hailed as brave and special and offered testosterone as young as thirteen. You might as well give an anorectic girl a calorie-controlled diet sheet and schedule her for gastric band surgery.

So no, all this gender stuff isn't harmless, it's destroying lives right now. It will blow over the way the recovered memories of Satanic abuse thing blew over, but in the mean time some kids are being seriously damaged. I hate to think what the lawsuits are going to look like by the time these adolescents reach middle-age and the consequences of the hormones they've been given really start to bite.
Why do you believe that the NHS has reported that there has been a ten-fold increase in children being diagnosed with gender dysmorphia? The numbers went from just under 100 per year to just under 1,000 per year. I imagine that your explanation for this increase can be attributed to the increase in awareness, to which I will ask; have you seen any evidence that this is indeed the case?

I'm curious if more or less harm (mental and/or physical) has come about due to these newer policies of gender defined strictly through the lens of sociologist? If I am not mistaken, psychologist would classify gender identity as a disorder because it strays from the norm or standard distribution found in a usual population. Do you agree that area of science (sociology) is mostly responsible for our current state of affairs?

Do you agree that no system is perfect, and whichever policy creates the most happiness for the most people should be the official, I.E. governments policy? Perhaps this is an example where individual freedom and choice should be celebrated with the understanding that there is no optimized way to live for everybody, and that changes to alter the laws and culture of a nation should be invoked more slowly.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 11:49 AM   #9
Rolfe

It's a huge subject and I'm not sure I want to get into a long discussion of it on the forum.

Since nobody can change what actual sex they are, everyone has to find the best way of living with the personality they have. However, actual body modification to mimic the characteristics of the opposite sex is a huge undertaking with a lot of downsides that aren't usually talked about. I don't think this is something that children should be encouraged to pursue when studies done before such encouragement was mandatory show that 80% to 90% of "non gender conforming" children grow out of it and become contented adults of the sex they were born as - although often same-sex-attracted.

Adults, of course, are free to do what they like to their own bodies, from the clothes and make-up they wear to the hormones they take or the cosmetic surgery they have. However, when the desires of a small number of (often vocal and aggressive) men who want to occupy female-designated spaces comes up against the right of actual women to have the female-designated spaces their grandmothers fought for, I'm on the side of the actual women.

I don't see any particular reason to celebrate autogynaephilia, any more than we would celebrate a rubber fetish or a shoe fetish. If men who exhibit that particular paraphilia want to get on with it without harming anyone else or infringing on anyone else's rights, that's fine, but why would I celebrate it? The problem is that there is a cohort of these men currently making extremely strident demands that they should be allowed to infringe women's rights, and they have succeeded in getting the politicians on their side.

I struggle to understand why you would imagine I think that the recent extremely alarming increase in minors presenting to "gender clinics" is due to an increase in awareness. In the case of pre-puberty children it's due to the massive promotion in schools and youth organisations that "what gender you are" is a choice everyone has to make, and the subsequent fuss over those who make an unconventional choice as "brave" and special. Parties and cake, for God's sake! And then the embarkation on a life of permanent medicalisation, sterility and disfiguring surgery. Because of something that's almost always a passing phase.

The enormous rise in adolescent girls presenting as transgender without any history of earlier tomboy behaviour is, as I said, a social contagion. It has replaced dieting yourself to a shadow as the self-harm craze du jour for self-hating teenage girls. (Although cutting and extreme dieting also seem to feature in this presentation, partly because a very thin girl looks more boyish.) At least they tried to get anorectic girls to eat, but the ROGD ones are being feted as "brave", offered testosterone at their first clinical encounter, and scheduled for mastectomy.

Wait for the bubble to burst and the law-suits to start.
Old 7th April 2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Biggest reason we can't discuss gender: too many people who can't divorce it from some other attribute(s) that are not gender.

In no small part because even "transgender" is a misnomer as applied in many cases.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 7th April 2018 at 12:18 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 12:32 PM   #11
kellyb
Philosopher

Wow, that is a lot of food for thought, Rolfe. I'm not sure if I agree, but I can't say I disagree. My own thinking on this topic has always been profoundly affected by my friendship with someone who was born intersex/hermaphrodite (supposedly in a physically visible way). Before transitioning to fully female, she was always very gender-fluid, going back to kindergarten in the early 80's, long before it was some sort of celebrated trend. Supposedly, the cumulative incidence of all the types of intersex variations is about one in 100, so that's a lot of people out there who definitely aren't just suffering from some psychological problem when it comes to gender identity.

I have no idea how to square stuff like that with the other very real phenomenon of disturbed and dangerous men who weaponize claiming transgender status.
Old 7th April 2018, 12:32 PM   #12
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Biggest reason we can't discuss gender: too many people who can't divorce it from some other attribute(s) that are not gender.

In no small part because even "transgender" is a misnomer as applied in many cases.

Might that be because some people don't think the gender identification thing matters that much, with the relatively small exceptions of trans and intrrsex people?
Old 7th April 2018, 12:44 PM   #13
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
...I share in your frustration. In the US, when the national discussion of allowing an individual to use the restroom of their choice was presented, the public was assured that no harm would come from allowing people to use the restroom of their choice based on their chosen identify. If you voiced your opposition to this policy you were prejudiced, confused about your sexuality, or subjected to another type of shaming, psychoanalysis or personal attack...
And yet, even Harbor Freight has facilities allowing both sexes to use the same restroom-one at a time, of course, with a placard outside stating that the restrooms are for both sexes. Problem solved.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 12:48 PM   #14
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

If we're just going to have the bathroom/shelter discussion again: where was all the outcry over violence against women aside from transgender fakers and what solutions were generated that weren't about preventing transgender fakers specifically?

Old 7th April 2018, 12:55 PM   #15
Rolfe

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
And yet, even Harbor Freight has facilities allowing both sexes to use the same restroom-one at a time, of course, with a placard outside stating that the restrooms are for both sexes. Problem solved.

No, the problem is not solved, except for very small establishments that only have one toilet with no "communal" grooming space.

https://leyaterra.wordpress.com/2018...snt-necessary/

I encountered a "gender neutral" toilet for the first time last weekend. I knew many of the men who were at the event and am good friends with quite a few of them, but I was quite surprised by the strength of my discomfort at the idea of walking in there. I beat a swift retreat to find the actual ladies, which fortunately existed so in fact there was no problem.

But another reason for my discomfort was that there were three very obvious trans-identifying males at the event. Two I know nothing about, but the third is someone I've known vaguely for a long time. I've recently discovered that he has not had sex reassignment surgery, and is actually one of the trans-identifying heterosexual men (that is, attracted to women, which diagnoses him as an autogynaephile) who insists that he's a lesbian, and is part of a group of such men pressurising and shaming lesbian women who say they don't want to have sex with male-bodied people as "transphobes". I think this is borderline rape behaviour. If I encountered him in a Ladies' room, knowing what I now know about him, I'd run a mile.

Our grandmothers fought long and hard for public toilet provision for females, so that they could leave the house for more than a few hours at a time. Women in third world countries are still fighting that battle. Women from certain cultural backgrounds as particularly unwilling to share a public toilet space with men.

Just read the article, it will save me typing.
Old 7th April 2018, 12:58 PM   #16
mgidm86
Illuminator

Well let's just use the word sex rather than gender - problem mostly solved. How many sexes are there?

In fact, I just looked at my California driver's license - it says my sex is male, not my gender.
Old 7th April 2018, 01:09 PM   #17
Rolfe

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Wow, that is a lot of food for thought, Rolfe. I'm not sure if I agree, but I can't say I disagree. My own thinking on this topic has always been profoundly affected by my friendship with someone who was born intersex/hermaphrodite (supposedly in a physically visible way). Before transitioning to fully female, she was always very gender-fluid, going back to kindergarten in the early 80's, long before it was some sort of celebrated trend. Supposedly, the cumulative incidence of all the types of intersex variations is about one in 100, so that's a lot of people out there who definitely aren't just suffering from some psychological problem when it comes to gender identity.

I have no idea how to square stuff like that with the other very real phenomenon of disturbed and dangerous men who weaponize claiming transgender status.

I understand that actual intersex people are extremely reluctant (in fact absolutely furious) about being dragged into this debate. They have their own problems, which they didn't choose, which of course have to be handled with the greatest sensitivity and discretion. However, there are very few such people as a percentage of the population as a whole. I really don't think that one in 100 figure is valid at all.

There are a number of disturbed and dangerous men who aren't faking their transgender status, in that their autogynaephilia is a driving force for their misogynistic behaviour. Not all autogynaephiles are dangerous, of course, but the existence of the dangerous subset means that "fakery" isn't the only concern. However, when we're in a position where a woman challenging any man in a female-designated space is going to be met with "I identify as a woman, how dare you misgender me you transphobe," then the very possibility of challenging a man in that situation becomes null and void. The man's word is to be taken as absolute, he has adopted the identity of the oppressed, vulnerable victim, and the authorities and officialdom are on his side.

An awful lot of women who were generally supportive of "our trans sisters" until recently have had a very sudden awakening when they look into what is going on in more detail. The phenomenon has a name - "peak trans". Sadly, this is going very badly for the genuinely body-dysmorphic trans people who respect women's boundaries and only want to get on with their lives, as women are becoming wary of all trans-identifying men.

As the linked article says, ".... predatory men – let’s remember – don’t come with a big *********** ‘I’m a predator’ sign." Trans-identifying men have the same pattern of offending behaviour as other men, which is to say that while most of them are not a threat, some are. And we can't tell which ones.

Last edited by Rolfe; 7th April 2018 at 02:05 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 01:13 PM   #18
Rolfe

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Well let's just use the word sex rather than gender - problem mostly solved. How many sexes are there?

In fact, I just looked at my California driver's license - it says my sex is male, not my gender.

This. Exactly. We are the sex we are, and we can't change that. How we present is our own business and nobody should be disadvantaged or lose fundamental rights if their presentation doesn't accord with their actual sex. However, "fundamental rights" do not include the right of people with male bodies to access female-designated spaces, compete against females in sex-segregated sports, or claim awards or bursaries set up to support women's participation in professional or public life.

However, due to pressure from the trans lobby is is now possible to falsify your birth certificate legally to show that a baby girl was born that day, when in fact it was a baby boy. How screwed up is that?
Old 7th April 2018, 01:53 PM   #19
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tinfoil Hater View Post
As I understand it there are 39 genders...
Where does that understanding come from??
Old 7th April 2018, 02:05 PM   #20
Venom
Graduate Poster

There is no "official" number of genders, that said I don't know where you got 39. I think that's really pushing it.

What I do hate is the attempt by some to label childrens' gender at birth other than what their sex organs imply. I mean can you let them reach/pass puberty first, Sheesh. Chances are your son won't hold a grudge against the hospital that labeled him as a boy on his little glass bassinet.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 02:13 PM   #21
Rolfe

He might hold a grudge against you if you took his desire for a sparkly bathing suit as the cue to turn him into a public figure with his own reality TV show, and by the time he's 16 he finds himself so locked into the whole female persona thing - both socially and physically - that there's no going back. Especially when he finds himself having the discussions with the surgeon about how his infantile micro-penis (the result of the puberty blockers and female hormones he's been taking since he was ten) doesn't provide the necessary tissue to construct a neo-vagina, and the (highly embarrassing and very painful) solution being proposed, in front of the TV cameras.

That one has still to play out of course, he's only 16. But it looks very like child abuse to me. Was the four-year-old Jazz really told about the realities of sex reassignment surgery, or just told that when he was older the doctors could do an operation to turn him into a woman? And all because of the "pick your gender" climate.
Old 7th April 2018, 04:34 PM   #22
Rolfe

Christ on a bike.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-0...lifter/9626242
Old 7th April 2018, 04:37 PM   #23
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

What does it mean for a gender to be scientifically defined?
Old 7th April 2018, 04:47 PM   #24
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
What does it mean for a gender to be scientifically defined?
Nothing, AFAIK. The OP asks by what scientific rubric it is based, I opine that except as a synonym for sex, it is not (hard) science defined.
Old 7th April 2018, 04:50 PM   #25
Rolfe

It's all about the feelz.
Old 7th April 2018, 04:52 PM   #26
kellyb
Philosopher

"Peak trans" has a ring of truth to it. I have no problem calling people by whatever names and gender pronouns they wish, but this is ridiculous.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-ze...peaks-out.html

Quote:
"I don't believe there is any fundamental difference between me and the other athletes, and to suggest there is is slightly demeaning to them."
It's not demeaning - it's objectively true and not scientifically controversial.

Last edited by kellyb; 7th April 2018 at 05:53 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 05:20 PM   #27
Rolfe

I just found this article, which is rather glorious.

http://quillette.com/2018/04/06/lost...c-rabbit-hole/
Old 7th April 2018, 05:26 PM   #28
Rolfe

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
"Peak trans" has a ring of truth to it.

I just came across a screengrab of a tweet from a trans-identifying man declaring that "cis" women should remember that needing an abortion was a privilege they have which is denied to poor "trans women". The person tweeting it suggested that this might "peak trans" every woman in the world.

It's difficult to know which of these outrageous tweets and posts from (mainly) autogynaephilic men are real and which are faked, because Poe's Law is lying broken in the gutter in this context. But the one where the (male) self-described lesbian hooked up with a lesbian woman who then freaked out when she discovered his erect penis was a bit of a boggle too.
Old 7th April 2018, 05:29 PM   #29
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

I just came across a screengrab of a tweet from a trans-identifying man declaring that "cis" women should remember that needing an abortion was a privilege they have which is denied to poor "trans women". The person tweeting it suggested that this might "peak trans" every woman in the world.

It's difficult to know which of these outrageous tweets and posts from (mainly) autogynaephilic men are real and which are faked, because Poe's Law is lying broken in the gutter in this context. But the one where the (male) self-described lesbian hooked up with a lesbian woman who then freaked out when she discovered his erect penis was a bit of a boggle too.
Reason #813,547 why having even a really brief couple of bullet points to go over with a potential sex partner is just a good idea.

Old 7th April 2018, 05:47 PM   #30
Elagabalus
Master Poster

... But the one where the (male) self-described lesbian hooked up with a lesbian woman who then freaked out when she discovered his erect penis was a bit of a boggle too..
This scenario was in the screen grab?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 06:14 PM   #31
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
This scenario was in the screen grab?
It's here.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 06:19 PM   #32
Rolfe

Yes. I was about to retweet it but it was so outrageous I wondered if it was actually real, and then I saw some people in the thread claiming it was a fake. But others maintained it was genuine. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 7th April 2018, 06:19 PM   #33
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

I see lots of replies where bad behavior, poor manners, and abject stupidity could be fairly derided. Maybe even a few criminal inquiries.

How that connects to gender continues to elude me. Perhaps lost in the haze of anecdotal evidence and hasty generalization?

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 7th April 2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 7th April 2018, 06:43 PM   #34
Thermal
Illuminator

The main twitter account (original tweeter? tweeter zero? I dunno) claims to be born female and coercively assigned male at birth. This just makes things more confusing if male and female are supposed to be sex, not gender.
Old 7th April 2018, 06:50 PM   #35
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Nothing, AFAIK. The OP asks by what scientific rubric it is based, I opine that except as a synonym for sex, it is not (hard) science defined.
And what will it mean for a real gender to exist?

Here is an excellent talk by Rebecca Reilly-Cooper that gives a good overview of the landscape in the gender issue, while critiquing the recent essentialist ideas about gender that are popular today. Your raising the issue of conflating personality with gender reminded me of it. I think most posters here will be sympathetic with the speakers position.

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podca...e_20160925.mp3
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...ending/7868086

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 7th April 2018 at 07:05 PM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2018, 06:53 PM   #36
Rolfe

I'm looking for the screen grab of the post where the man in a dress claiming to be a lesbian described his date freaking out when she discovered he had a penis, but so far I can't find it. I saw it twice yesterday but people may be wary of sharing it if they think it might be faked.
Old 7th April 2018, 07:03 PM   #37
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
And what will it mean for a real gender to exist?
I don't follow? Sex physically exists. Gender is an identification, which doesn't have a real existence, per se. It's an abstract description.
Old 7th April 2018, 07:04 PM   #38
kellyb
Philosopher

There's a number (I don't know it qualifies as "a lot" or whatever) of people on the internet who are or claim to be transwomen, who are real jerks and some say some really outrageously nutty things. They seem to operate in cliques and like dog-piling people over nothing. I'm not sure what all's going on there, but I guess it's safe to say they're probably psychologically broken in some way, and it results in attention-seeking, dramatic behavior.
Old 7th April 2018, 07:05 PM   #39
Thermal
Illuminator

I'm looking for the screen grab of the post where the man in a dress claiming to be a lesbian described his date freaking out when she discovered he had a penis, but so far I can't find it. I saw it twice yesterday but people may be wary of sharing it if they think it might be faked.
Trans-Mandella Effect.
Old 7th April 2018, 07:12 PM   #40
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I don't follow? Sex physically exists. Gender is an identification, which doesn't have a real existence, per se. It's an abstract description.
It was just this comment up stream, “The whole multiple gender thing is a fad, socially defined rather than scientifically. It will pass, leaving the few real genders acknowledged.” Looks like we are on the same page as having non essentialist views of gender though that comment looks to run with auch an idea.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events