ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , lawsuits , Michael Cohen , Stephanie Clifford , Stormy Daniels , Trump controversies

Old 16th May 2018, 07:52 AM   #641
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Yes correspondence relating to the representation should have been handed over. The email that Thirsty the Thug leaked should not have, given that the former lawyer no longer represents her, but it seems that Avenatti threatened him and he complied.
I don't recall claiming that post was the entirety of my legal analysis. We were simply discussing the likelihood that Thirsty the Thug made a threat.

Had I been asked to continue, I would have also said that he does not have a duty NOT to turn it over, would have pointed out that he already voluntarily gave it to Mueller, and that while there is a legal argument that he had no duty to give it to Thirsty that as a matter of legal strategy and tactics it would not make any sense to not give it to him because it is absolutely innocuous.
Is Giuliani helping you with this?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:53 AM   #642
Zambo
Scholar

it would not make any sense to not give it to him because it is absolutely innocuous.
I am not convinced of that, and specifically I am not convinced because you type "absolutely". This is not a clear cut case and Trumps pronouncements on what he knew/did not know/authorised/did not authorise complicate the case.

It's a toss up. Dow Jones heads down and Trump you lose.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:59 AM   #643
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Is Giuliani helping you with this?
while we all appreciate a bit of snark in the morning, if you have a question or substantive response, feel free to make it.
Old 16th May 2018, 07:59 AM   #644
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post

Most corruption monitoring organizations measure how corrupt people believe their government to be, since it is often impossible to get factual data. In the past, the US has gotten very good marks, but the perception of corruption has dramatically increased from 2016 to 17:

https://www.transparency.org/news/fe...e_a_year_makes
Old 16th May 2018, 08:00 AM   #645
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
I am not convinced of that, and specifically I am not convinced because you type "absolutely". This is not a clear cut case and Trumps pronouncements on what he knew/did not know/authorised/did not authorise complicate the case.

It's a toss up. Dow Jones heads down and Trump you lose.
Sorry, it is absolutely innocuous to the recipient, Stormy's former lawyer, who turned it over.
Old 16th May 2018, 08:06 AM   #646
Zambo
Scholar

Sorry, it is absolutely innocuous to the recipient, Stormy's former lawyer, who turned it over.
Agreed, at this point Davidson is not under arrest. I think we cannot speculate further, and need not speculate further.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 08:44 AM   #647
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Thirsty the Thug menaces yet another reporter:

Quote:
Michael Avenatti, the attorney for adult film star Stormy Daniels in her lawsuit against President Donald Trump, reportedly called Hollywood Reporter writer Eriq Gardner an “*******,” and then demanded to speak with Gardner’s editor over an unflattering story.
https://www.mediaite.com/online/aven...ttering-piece/

I said he has anger issues...
Old 16th May 2018, 08:56 AM   #648
beren
Graduate Poster

Not sure why anyone should care, but 'k.
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 09:01 AM   #649
Zambo
Scholar

A lawyer in a case involving Trump has "anger issues" what is the point?

I think Trump did have sex with Stormy Daniels.
Old 16th May 2018, 09:01 AM   #650
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

sounds like something trump would do
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 09:17 AM   #651
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

A lawyer in a case involving Trump has "anger issues" what is the point?

I think Trump did have sex with Stormy Daniels.
I think that there are several takeaways. the first, he claims that he is fighting against "bullying" on behalf of his clients while bullying the press who write critical stories about him. Second, he is trying to manipulate press coverage by threatening journalists. Third, it goes to his motives and credibility. Fourth, he is actively trying to intervene in litigation relating to an on going criminal investigation that is far beyond Trump and his client having sex. Fifth, it shows his lack of competence.
Old 16th May 2018, 09:49 AM   #652
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

"thirsty the thug"

Is that the stink of desperation I smell ?
Old 16th May 2018, 09:51 AM   #653
Zambo
Scholar

Is this a copy and paste from elswhere? If yes where?
Old 16th May 2018, 09:56 AM   #654
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Dog badly wants this to be an Avenatti thread.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 10:01 AM   #655
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

"High-Profile Lawyer In 'Acting Like Stereotypical Lawyer' Shock!"
Old 16th May 2018, 10:05 AM   #656
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Thirsts for it?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 10:15 AM   #657
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You think? This is the Stormy Daniels thread and last I checked he hadn't mentioned her once. This despite he's posted 144 times in it.

I'd also bet he's mentioned Avenatti in at least in 100 plus posts.

Last edited by acbytesla; 16th May 2018 at 10:17 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 10:33 AM   #658
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Thirsts for it?
I would say he's hungry for it, except he's all bark and no bite, so that wouldn't really be fair.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 10:43 AM   #659
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
"thirsty the thug"

Is that the stink of desperation I smell ?
Is this a copy and paste from elswhere? If yes where?
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"High-Profile Lawyer In 'Acting Like Stereotypical Lawyer' Shock!"
Thirsts for it?
I would say he's hungry for it, except he's all bark and no bite, so that wouldn't really be fair.

Gee TBD, do you think they’ll actually make an argument?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 10:45 AM   #660
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Meanwhile ...

Trump's financial disclosure report states that he repaid Cohen in 2017 for expenses Mr. Cohen incurred in 2016.

This means that it is impossible for Cohen to have paid Daniels out of Trump's money. It literally cannot be true based on Trump's own financial disclosure that there was any sort of escrow or slush fund. Cohen paid Daniels out of his own money 11 days before the election and was repaid by Trump (personally, it seems) only after Trump won.

I don't think reasonable people will view this as anything other than an in-kind campaign contribution. It's sort of possible to separate Trump the individual from Trump the campaign, but it's not reasonable given the timeframes.

This puts Cohen on shaky legal ground in several areas but shores up Trump's claim of personal innocence relating to this matter.

But since I see this as one thread of a huge, rolling conspiracy to commit money laundering over the course of decades, none of that may make a difference.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 10:50 AM   #661
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
This puts Cohen on shaky legal ground in several areas but shores up Trump's claim of personal innocence relating to this matter.
That's the bus starting up. Now to wait for the shove.
Old 16th May 2018, 10:58 AM   #662
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Since the only response I can think of to the assertion that Avenatti is aggressive is "okay. So what?" I'm unsure of what "argument" you're expecting.

Whether or not Avenatti is a nice guy is only relevant if you see this as a partisan issue where you have to pick a "side". Since I'm not 6, I don't.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:10 AM   #663
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile ...

Trump's financial disclosure report states that he repaid Cohen in 2017 for expenses Mr. Cohen incurred in 2016.

This means that it is impossible for Cohen to have paid Daniels out of Trump's money. It literally cannot be true based on Trump's own financial disclosure that there was any sort of escrow or slush fund. Cohen paid Daniels out of his own money 11 days before the election and was repaid by Trump (personally, it seems) only after Trump won.

I don't think reasonable people will view this as anything other than an in-kind campaign contribution. It's sort of possible to separate Trump the individual from Trump the campaign, but it's not reasonable given the timeframes.

But since I see this as one thread of a huge, rolling conspiracy to commit money laundering over the course of decades, none of that may make a difference.
Does it say what date Trump paid Cohen?
Old 16th May 2018, 11:15 AM   #664
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Since the only response I can think of to the assertion that Avenatti is aggressive is "okay. So what?" I'm unsure of what "argument" you're expecting.

Whether or not Avenatti is a nice guy is only relevant if you see this as a partisan issue where you have to pick a "side". Since I'm not 6, I don't.
Exactly!
Avenatti is an aggressive lawyer. So what?
Avenatti is a jerk. So what?
Avenatti is inept. Doesnt seem that way to me.

I'm not voting for Avenatti. I just want him to keep digging and to keep talking. Let's find out as much as we can.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:17 AM   #665
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Meanwhile ...

Hmm it makes me wonder, what if Trump really is just an innocent patsy who never knew how everyone he surrounded himself with was corrupt? That seems incredibly unlikely but what would that say about him?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 11:23 AM   #666
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Exactly!
Avenatti is an aggressive lawyer. So what?
Avenatti is a jerk. So what?
Avenatti is inept. Doesnt seem that way to me.

I'm not voting for Avenatti. I just want him to keep digging and to keep talking. Let's find out as much as we can.
The point is to create a narrative that Avenatti is an ambulance-chasing lawyer and thus everything he says/files is automatically suspect.

This works well on True Believers, because they're looking for politically convenient narratives.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:24 AM   #667
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Trump team slips a footnote into his financial disclosure form, stating that Trump reimbursed Cohen for expenses incurred in 2016, in the amount between 100k-200k, which presumably include the 130k paid to settle Stormy Daniels' extortion attempts.

The United States Ethics Office wrote to Rosenstein telling him about it. https://oge.app.box.com/v/OGELettertoDOJ

Not sure why Apol bypassed the AG. eta: Doh! Probably because the AG recused himself from campaign stuff!

Last edited by The Big Dog; 16th May 2018 at 11:34 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 11:47 AM   #668
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Meanwhile ...

It begs the question, who actually paid that campaign donation silencing Daniels? The money in that LLC was from multiple sources.

Money laundering indeed if Cohen mixed his own home equity loan into the mix; which we still don't know if that actually happened or not given other sources for the slush fund surfaced after Cohen made the claim the money for Daniels came from his home equity loan.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:49 AM   #669
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Great article, raising many of the same points that i have been explaining at length over the last few weeks.

Is Stormy Daniels Getting Her Money's Worth From Attorney Michael Avenatti?

Quote:
Avenatti has been successful in highlighting the murky nature of that $130,000 payment, but it's not clear he's advanced his stated goal to invalidate her contract. He hasn't won any significant point in court, and he can't truly take credit for the actions of New York prosecutors investigating Cohen. If the real strategy is to embarrass Trump and Cohen enough that they'll let her out of the hush deal, he hasn't achieved that yet either.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...enatti-1111986
Old 16th May 2018, 11:50 AM   #670
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Does it say what date Trump paid Cohen?

Neither the date nor the exact amount.

It's probably the least information it's possible to give and still count as some sort of financial disclosure.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 11:52 AM   #671
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It begs the question, who actually paid that campaign donation silencing Daniels? The money in that LLC was from multiple sources.

Money laundering indeed if Cohen mixed his own home equity loan into the mix; which we still don't know if that actually happened or not given other sources for the slush fund surfaced after Cohen made the claim the money for Daniels came from his home equity loan.
Unless there is some evidence that money other than the home equity loan went into that account in October of 2016 (and there is of course none) this is speculation
Old 16th May 2018, 12:12 PM   #672
Stacko
Philosopher

Meanwhile ...

Cross post from another thread on the OGE referral to Rod Rosenstein on this disclosure.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 12:21 PM   #673
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Great article, raising many of the same points that i have been explaining at length over the last few weeks.

Is Stormy Daniels Getting Her Money's Worth From Attorney Michael Avenatti?

Quote:
Avenatti has been successful in highlighting the murky nature of that $130,000 payment, but it's not clear he's advanced his stated goal to invalidate her contract. He hasn't won any significant point in court, and he can't truly take credit for the actions of New York prosecutors investigating Cohen. If the real strategy is to embarrass Trump and Cohen enough that they'll let her out of the hush deal, he hasn't achieved that yet either.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...enatti-1111986
That's one way to look at it. Another is all the wanted attention he has brought her. I made this point before, but it deserves repeating. You can lose in court and still win and you can win in court and still lose.

Avenatti and Daniels have won already. They have stayed front and center for months. Her appearances fees have gone up as well a her bookings. She's never going to have to pay some huge penalty even if they lose which seems more and more unlikely.

He's been on TV so much, you would think he has his own show. Its been estimated that the two of them have received more than 175 million dollars of free promotion so far. Whether all that has happened to Trump and Cohen would have happened without Avenatti, we will never know.

The real winners are the American people.
Old 16th May 2018, 12:23 PM   #674
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Neither the date nor the exact amount.

It's probably the least information it's possible to give and still count as some sort of financial disclosure.
The devil is in the details. I want to see the canceled checks and invoices.
Old 16th May 2018, 12:25 PM   #675
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I'm just asking for a friend. But he's got into a bit of bother and wants to keep it quiet.

If I draw up a contract between him and his... um indiscretion...

It will still be enforceable as a contract between him and her if I pay her out of my money, and he knows nothing about it?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 12:26 PM   #676
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Dog ignored this one. Maybe you'd like to take a crack at it.
Old 16th May 2018, 12:32 PM   #677
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I'm just asking for a friend. But he's got into a bit of bother and wants to keep it quiet.

If I draw up a contract between him and his... um indiscretion...

It will still be enforceable as a contract between him and her if I pay her out of my money, and he knows nothing about it?
It can be if he ratifies it. Authority may be granted to an agent either by a precedent authorization or a subsequent ratification. (Civ.Code, § 2307.)" (Ripani v. Liberty Loan Corp. (1979) 95 Cal.App.3d 603, 611, 157 Cal.Rptr. 272.)
Old 16th May 2018, 01:23 PM   #678
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

“The complaint against attorney Michael J. Avenatti has been reviewed and forwarded to the Enforcement Unit for further investigation and prosecution, if warranted,” said the letter from the state bar, written by Supervising Attorney Anand Kumar and reviewed by Fox News.

Avid readers of the thread will recall that Avenatti claimed he was NOT under investigation in his recent pro hac vice motion. This new revelation agains calls into question whether he can represent Stormy Dniels.

Further details here.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 16th May 2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: duplicate link
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 03:13 PM   #679
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

GOP Motto: Kill the messenger, blame the victim, anything goes if it goes unseen, admit nothing, accuse of everything, truth is a tool of war. When all fails, cry and confess to God with your wife at your side (cursing you).

Or so the impression given so far from the GOP handling of any and all ethical and political due diligence; for example, this SD case. As time goes on, it's lies, money to fix lies, lies about money, lies about lies and money.... lies and more lies, money and more money.

Obama was worse. For <reasons>.
Old 16th May 2018, 03:27 PM   #680
Stacko
Philosopher

The whistleblower who leaked Michael Cohen’s financial records is stepping forward to say why: records of bigger, potentially more sensitive, swaths of suspicious transactions appeared to be missing from a government database.

Quote:
Last week, several news outlets obtained financial records showing that Michael Cohen, President Trump’s personal attorney, had used a shell company to receive payments from various firms with business before the Trump Administration. In the days since, there has been much speculation about who leaked the confidential documents, and the Treasury Department’s inspector general has launched a probe to find the source. That source, a law-enforcement official, is speaking publicly for the first time, to The New Yorker, to explain the motivation: the official had grown alarmed after being unable to find two important reports on Cohen’s financial activity in a government database. The official, worried that the information was being withheld from law enforcement, released the remaining documents.

The payments to Cohen that have emerged in the past week come primarily from a single document, a “suspicious-activity report” filed by First Republic Bank, where Cohen’s shell company, Essential Consultants, L.L.C., maintained an account. The document detailed sums in the hundreds of thousands of dollars paid to Cohen by the pharmaceutical company Novartis, the telecommunications giant A.T. & T., and an investment firm with ties to the Russian oligarch Viktor Vekselberg.

The report also refers to two previous suspicious-activity reports, or SARs, that the bank had filed, which documented even larger flows of questionable money into Cohen’s account. Those two reports detail more than three million dollars in additional transactions—triple the amount in the report released last week. Which individuals or corporations were involved remains a mystery. But, according to the official who leaked the report, these SARs were absent from the database maintained by the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or FinCEN. The official, who has spent a career in law enforcement, told me, “I have never seen something pulled off the system. . . . That system is a safeguard for the bank. It’s a stockpile of information. When something’s not there that should be, I immediately became concerned.” The official added, “That’s why I came forward.”
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics