ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th May 2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Police called on black student who fell asleep in Yale dorm common room

A white student saw a black female sleeping in a common room at her Yale dorm and assumed she wasn't a student, demanding that she leave. The young woman in fact was very much a student and had fallen asleep while studying and was thus perfectly entitled to be there; but naturally the white student was "suspicious" and called the police on her, and the black female was forced to try to prove that she was actually a student - firstly by unlocking her own dorm room with a key and then (because that obviously wasn't good enough) by presenting a student ID, which then led to an extended hassle because of a typographical error.

Last edited by Checkmite; 9th May 2018 at 03:54 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 04:03 PM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

We have found that walking around a college while not looking white is a crime requiring police action, so this is no major development.

Sleeping with intent while black? Arrest her officer.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 04:05 PM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Seriously, here is another person who should be charged with making a false report or something similar.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 04:05 PM   #4
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Why do these things keep happening in the USA? I could almost understand it if they were happening in Ireland where about 0.3% of the population is non-white, but Americans should be expected to know that around 13% of their population is African American.

So why are some of them freaked out every time they see a black person?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 04:12 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
In part because one of our political parties has spent about the last thirty years creating fear of "others" in white America.
Old 9th May 2018, 04:13 PM   #6
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Why do these things keep happening in the USA? I could almost understand it if they were happening in Ireland where about 0.3% of the population is non-white, but Americans should be expected to know that around 13% of their population is African American.
Not that this changes anything (especially since New Haven home of Yale collage is about 35% African American) about your overall point but the African American population is clustered in the bigger cities and extremely low in some rural areas.

Or as comedian Chris Rock put it:

Quote:
They ain't even that many black people in the country, okay? Black people are 10% of the (censored) population. Black people are New York, D.C., L.A., Chicago, Atlanta. Like 10 places, okay? Ain't no black people in Minnesota! The only black people in Minnesota is Prince and Kirby Puckett.
There legit are places in American where seeing a black person is on the same level as seeing one in Ireland, on a statistical level.
Old 9th May 2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
In part because one of our political parties has spent about the last thirty years creating fear of "others" in white America.
As your President would say - sad.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 04:17 PM   #8
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Not that this changes anything (especially since New Haven home of Yale collage is about 35% African American) about your overall point but the African American population is clustered in the bigger cities and extremely low in some rural areas.

Or as comedian Chris Rock put it:

There legit are places in American where seeing a black person is on the same level as seeing one in Ireland, on a statistical level.
That's interesting now, I didn't know that. I thought you were all very sophisticated and multicultural over there. Where I live there are exactly six non-white people - the family of Chinese people who own the local Chinese restaurant and a Sudanese woman who married a local teacher. That's not unusual in rural Ireland.
Old 9th May 2018, 04:19 PM   #9
Fizil
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
A white student saw a black female sleeping in a common room at her Yale dorm and assumed she wasn't a student, demanding that she leave. The young woman in fact was very much a student and had fallen asleep while studying and was thus perfectly entitled to be there; but naturally the white student was "suspicious" and called the police on her, and the black female was forced to try to prove that she was actually a student - firstly by unlocking her own dorm room with a key and then (because that obviously wasn't good enough) by presenting a student ID, which then led to an extended hassle because of a typographical error.
See, now unlike the Native American thread, this story is about something that is pretty clearly racism (or at least racial bias if you want to distinguish that from racism).

You would think a Yale graduate student would realize that hassling a black woman while being recorded means she is screwed come morning, right? She had to know she would get crucified for this, even if in her own head she thought she was in the right....
Fizil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:02 PM   #10
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fizil View Post
...even if in her own head she thought she was in the right....
Or Alt-Right.
Old 9th May 2018, 05:45 PM   #11
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

This.

There are two political parties in the U.S. : the Democratic Party and the Racist ******** Party.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 05:58 PM   #12
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

While we're at it, I think the cops deserve at least an extra Bronx cheer for hassling her, not only for inherently not believing her, but continuing their dogged pursuit of error after she opened her dorm room and showed her ID, because her name was spelled incorrectly on some other database. Even if they were "following correct procedure," it's pretty clear they were dicks about it.

How much would you like to bet on whether they were as diligent in scrutinizing the identity and student status of the person who made the complaint?

But clearly the main onus is on the complaining student, who seems like a self-righteous jerk and, if the commentary on the cited site is correct, has done this before, calling the cops when someone got lost. The rules for false reports may be different for this incident, which seems to have involved campus police, and I'm not sure what their overall police status is. But at the very least I think she should be reprimanded for the habit, and I think someone ought seriously to take up with her whether she's in the right school in the right city.

I do agree with Fizil that it seems especially clueless not to realize that if the student being investigated is making a video of the entire incident, this ought to provide a little clue as to what is going to happen.

Edit to add: there seems to be no audio on the links I've found so far, but the Hartford Courant article says Siyanbola considers herself to have been harassed by the police (which comes as no surprise, given that she presented not only her room key but her student ID but was still held u for 15 minutes, owing to a spelling error), and also that she had told them that the complaining student suffers from mental illness and had reported another student for getting lost in a stairwell.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 9th May 2018 at 06:11 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:07 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
But clearly the main onus is on the complaining student...
And/or her parents. And maybe the internet.
Old 9th May 2018, 06:13 PM   #14
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
There are two political parties in the U.S. : the Democratic Party and the Racist ******** Party.
This was a Yale student who complained. Odds are in the 99% range that she was a Democrat.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:17 PM   #15
Mumbles
Philosopher

A long history of police violence, paranoia among white American culture, government white supremacism, etc.

It's been around pretty much throughout US history - and quite often codified into law (eg. vagrancy laws, Jim Crow, Oregon's ban on black people, Stop and Frisk), but as with over-the-top police violence, it's getting more coverage now that it's easy to just record and share through social media. News sites may also be more worried about it now that they essentially helped to elect a white supremacist government, as well.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:19 PM   #16
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
This was a Yale student who complained. Odds are in the 99% range that she was a Democrat.
Pthbbbb. Aaack.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:24 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Or Alt-Right.
You think there are a lot of alt right women enrolled at Yale these days?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:26 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

They haven't reported on her ideological affiliation, so it could be *anything*.

If you know what I mean.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:01 PM   #19
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This.

As to the latter, yes, yes they are. And ******* enough to be proud of it.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:21 PM   #20
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Sleeping with intent while black? Arrest her officer.
Why arrest her officer? What did he do?

What a difference a comma makes!
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:27 PM   #21
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

What odds? How much?

In a 2016 survey of over 2,000 Yale undergrads conducted by the Yale News, nearly 12% self-identified as "conservative", or "very conservative".

Those would have been only the ones who were willing to admit to it.

Your 99% range is likely well off the mark. Don't bet the farm.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:35 PM   #22
Mumbles
Philosopher

While I'll say that the current GOP is the far more white supremacist (and misogynist, homophobic, anti-muslim, antisemitic, etc) party in the US, I've been around dems enough to have met quite a few "how dare you call me racist" style of racist - the type that'll call the cops on "suspicious" people, and then say "Gee, I never knew cops would be violent" afterwards.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:44 PM   #23
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
What odds? How much?

In a 2016 survey of over 2,000 Yale undergrads conducted by the Yale News, nearly 12% self-identified as "conservative", or "very conservative".

Those would have been only the ones who were willing to admit to it.

Your 99% range is likely well off the mark. Don't bet the farm.
Obvious hyperbole is obvious. But I'm only off by 11%.

But I note that you brought up the issue of not being willing to admit one's beliefs. That suggests a hostile environment. Yale, and many other universities, are severely lacking in ideological diversity.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:52 PM   #24
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Obvious hyperbole is obvious. But I'm only off by 11%.

How much would 11% change the amount you might be willing to wager on the odds?

Quote:

But I note that you brought up the issue of not being willing to admit one's beliefs. That suggests a hostile environment. Yale, and many other universities, are severely lacking in ideological diversity.

They are selecting for intelligent young people with an eagerness to learn new things and assimilate new ideas, so that isn't much of a surprise.

If you want to go to a school that swings the other way there's always Oral Roberts or Bob Jones, etc..

Last edited by quadraginta; 9th May 2018 at 08:53 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 08:52 PM   #25
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

But not bigots apparently...

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th May 2018, 08:53 PM   #26
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

With the sound turned off in both videos it is easy to create a narrative that sounds much worse than it actually was.

Even if Yale has a policy against students sleeping in dorm rooms, if the woman in question was as quick to produce her student id as she was to whip out her mobile phone and start filming, I suspect there wouldn't be anything worth putting out on YouTube.
Old 9th May 2018, 09:04 PM   #27
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
With the sound turned off in both videos it is easy to create a narrative that sounds much worse than it actually was.

Even if Yale has a policy against students sleeping in dorm rooms, if the woman in question was as quick to produce her student id as she was to whip out her mobile phone and start filming, I suspect there wouldn't be anything worth putting out on YouTube.
She shouldn't have been put in the position of having to produce either. Seriously, in what universe is "Woman Sleeping in a Public Place" a reason to call the emergency number?

Any sane emergency dispatcher would ask - is the woman committing a crime in her sleep? Is she seriously ill? Is she on fire?

If the answer to the above is no, then what the heck are you ringing 911 for?
Old 9th May 2018, 09:15 PM   #28
Checkmite

How much would you like to bet on whether they were as diligent in scrutinizing the identity and student status of the person who made the complaint?
$10 bucks says they didn't even look for or talk to the student who made the call.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 09:20 PM   #29
Checkmite

Nope sorry, no student has a responsibility to "produce her student id" at the request of some other random student. Not even black students if the random other student is white and "suspicious".

Secondly, reading the article would reveal that she had to go back to her dorm room to get her student ID. Which despite what you're about to say is completely understandable, because she wasn't leaving the building; I don't carry my driver license with me when I go downstairs to check the apartment mailboxes or do my laundry either.
Old 9th May 2018, 09:41 PM   #30
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
While I'll say that the current GOP is the far more white supremacist (and misogynist, homophobic, anti-muslim, antisemitic, etc) party in the US, I've been around dems enough to have met quite a few "how dare you call me racist" style of racist - the type that'll call the cops on "suspicious" people, and then say "Gee, I never knew cops would be violent" afterwards.
Yup. No reason it couldn't be a racist Dem or even liberal.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 09:48 PM   #31
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The value to a black person of getting as much video record as possible when encountering the cops has been well established in this country.
Old 9th May 2018, 10:23 PM   #32
smartcooky
Philosopher

Obvious hyperbole is obvious. But I'm only off by 11%
Well technically, you are off a lot more than that.

You implied only 1% would be conservative, when a closer figure is 12 times that... so you were about by 1100% out
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 10:27 PM   #33
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Nope sorry, no student has a responsibility to "produce her student id" at the request of some other random student. Not even black students if the random other student is white and "suspicious".

Secondly, reading the article would reveal that she had to go back to her dorm room to get her student ID. Which despite what you're about to say is completely understandable, because she wasn't leaving the building; I don't carry my driver license with me when I go downstairs to check the apartment mailboxes or do my laundry either.
I'm not completely buying it. She could have said "I am going to my room" just as easily as getting into a video recording competition. Any attempt to prevent her from leaving the dorm room would have been considered "unlawfully detaining" in any sensible jurisdiction.

I am not saying that the girl wasn't treated reasonably. I am just not prepared to take everything at face value because the sound was deliberately deleted from the recording.
Old 9th May 2018, 10:50 PM   #34
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not completely buying it. She could have said "I am going to my room" just as easily as getting into a video recording competition. Any attempt to prevent her from leaving the dorm room would have been considered "unlawfully detaining" in any sensible jurisdiction.

I am not saying that the girl wasn't treated reasonably. I am just not prepared to take everything at face value because the sound was deliberately deleted from the recording.
She was in her own dorm already. Why should she go to her room? Just to satisfy a bigot? She could have done any number of things, and not made a scene, but why shouldn't she make a scene? Why isn't she entitled to make a big stink about an incident like this? Why should it be to her discredit to have precipitated a showdown?

Although she was presumably (and I say only presumably here) not known to the student making the complaint, it appears the reverse was not true, and she told the cops this. Why don't they stop right then, and evaluate the situation? No, they insist on confirming that she has a key to her room, and then insist on seeing her student ID, and then balk at the typography of the database they cross reference.

And as for the unlawful detention, what would the cops have done if she had refused to show them the student ID, or if they had not continued to reject it when she was in her room? It seems clear that they were ready to believe, even as she stood there, that she did not belong, and to believe that even though she had a key to the room she was not a legitimate student. She did go to her room, and it does not seem to have helped much.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 9th May 2018 at 10:56 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 10:55 PM   #35
chrispy
Critical Thinker

I slept many a night in the common room. My roommate would wait until I left/used the bathroom in order to secure sex time... It got to the point that if I had to use the bathroom I would bring a pillow so I could crash in the common room. No problems had, but my dorm was 70% non-white......
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 11:05 PM   #36
smartcooky
Philosopher

She was in her own dorm already. Why should she go to her room? Just to satisfy a bigot? She could have done any number of things, and not made a scene, but why shouldn't she make a scene? Why isn't she entitled to make a big stink about an incident like this? Why should it be to her discredit to have precipitated a showdown?

Although she was presumably (and I say only presumably here) not known to the student making the complaint, it appears the reverse was not true, and she told the cops this. Why don't they stop right then, and evaluate the situation? No, they insist on confirming that she has a key to her room, and then insist on seeing her student ID, and then balk at the typography of the database they cross reference.

And as for the unlawful detention, what would the cops have done if she had refused to show them the student ID, or if they had not continued to reject it when she was in her room? It seems clear that they were ready to believe, even as she stood there, that she did not belong, and to believe that even though she had a key to the room she was not a legitimate student. She did go to her room, and it does not seem to have helped much.
Of course, had she been a white student, none of this would ever have happened.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 11:31 PM   #37
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I'm talking about before the police were called (assuming that a student has no right to sleep in a common room). The other girl was a **** who would have had no right to prevent her from leaving.

You can't escalate a situation then complain that the situation escalated.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:34 PM   #38
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Spin, racists, spin!
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 11:35 PM   #39
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't think the cops should have done anything after she opened her room with a door key. Pretty obvious at that point the 911 call was BS.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:37 PM   #40
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I don't think the cops should have done anything after she opened her room with a door key. Pretty obvious at that point the 911 call was BS.
The cops shouldn't have done anything. Period. Let her have her goddamned nap and counsel the stupid bitch who made the call to have a good reason next time.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events