ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 10th May 2018, 12:31 PM   #161
Shepherd
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 266
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
There isn't such a rule; but even if there had been - so then leave a complaint the next day with the dorm leader or the building manager or the housing office or whatever and let them deal with it.

Calling emergency services because somebody fell asleep in the common room. For crying out loud.
Since I quoted such a rule and gave the link to where it can be found, maybe you should be more careful about making such an assertion - seeing that anyone able to read the words would be able to see that your assertion is false. ...unless perhaps you are a resident there yourself and/or somehow have more intimate knowledge?

Now, I didn't argue that that particular rule necessarily applied, of course, or that the "hall monitor" woman handled things properly. I'm making the point that her stated concerns may have actually been somewhat sincere, and so might have applied to anyone that she found sleeping in the commons room with the lights off and who she may not have recognized - regardless of that person's race.

Btw, me referring to her as a "hall monitor" might have been something of a clue - well, for the more observant - of my personal take on her actions. ...and for crying out loud!
Shepherd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:38 PM   #162
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,501
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Since I quoted such a rule and gave the link to where it can be found, maybe you should be more careful about making such an assertion - seeing that anyone able to read the words would be able to see that your assertion is false. ...unless perhaps you are a resident there yourself and/or somehow have more intimate knowledge?

Now, I didn't argue that that particular rule necessarily applied, of course, or that the "hall monitor" woman handled things properly. I'm making the point that her stated concerns may have actually been somewhat sincere, and so might have applied to anyone that she found sleeping in the commons room with the lights off and who she may not have recognized - regardless of that person's race.

Btw, me referring to her as a "hall monitor" might have been something of a clue - well, for the more observant - of my personal take on her actions. ...and for crying out loud!
Even though she seems to actually know her?
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:39 PM   #163
Ranb
Philosopher
 
Ranb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WA USA
Posts: 9,371
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post


"a university administrator said Thursday" is not a source?
I meant there wasn't a link to another new article with actual names. Snopes usually has some some sort of link that shows where they got their info.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 12:45 PM   #164
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 22,590
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Since I quoted such a rule and gave the link to where it can be found, maybe you should be more careful about making such an assertion - seeing that anyone able to read the words would be able to see that your assertion is false. ...unless perhaps you are a resident there yourself and/or somehow have more intimate knowledge?
It has already been pointed out to you that the rule explicitly deals with guests, not residents. Further, the pdf doesn't state anywhere that students are responsible for enforcing those rules anyway. Like I said, call the housing office the next day and complain. Why does a lawless Napper in the common room require a call to emergency services?
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:00 PM   #165
Shepherd
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 266
...lol
Shepherd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:08 PM   #166
Shepherd
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 266
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Even though she seems to actually know her?
I guess some of the more recent information may indicate that could be a possibility. I hope a personal squabble doesn't cause a race war! ...lol
Shepherd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:09 PM   #167
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,460
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So liberals are the racists now? : confused :
What's confusing? We know that liberals are misogynists. Why wouldn't we expect them to be racists as well?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:13 PM   #168
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 23,832
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
As I just mentioned to quadraginta, common sense tells us that phrase likely does not apply to people within their own dorm buildings, otherwise showering might be awkward.
Sex too.
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:13 PM   #169
crescent
Master Poster
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,795
Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I meant there wasn't a link to another new article with actual names. Snopes usually has some some sort of link that shows where they got their info.

Ranb
Snopes got its info from the Associated Press - its just an ordinary AP article, but on Snopes. I didn't know Snpoes did that, they usually only publish their own work, even if it cite or quotes other articles.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:13 PM   #170
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,912
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
But she did show her ID, though not without some protest, in her own room in her own dorm in her own college, and they still did not accept it.
Because they could not find her in their database, because her name was misspelled. And anyway, I'm just rebutting the rather silly claim that campus police have no right to ask anyone for ID.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:21 PM   #171
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,912
Looked Sarah Braasch up on Open Secrets; she has donated to Senator Chris Murphy (D) twice, $3 each time.

Oh, that kind of Republican!
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:27 PM   #172
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,413
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Even though she seems to actually know her?
Certain people (usually, small children, and bigots, in my experience) have a great deal of difficulty recognizing people of different races.

And this college student calling the cops did not appear to be a small child, so there's that.

Other rumor I heard was that the person she called the police on recognized her, but not the other way around, because the white woman here is a known problem, having done similar things in the past. This would also explain why the black lady decided to put her up on Facebook to capture her foolishness.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:30 PM   #173
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,460
My guess? Preexisting feud or grudge between the two students. Possibly still race-related, but not actually a spur-of-the-moment racist reaction to seeing the a person of color asleep in the common room.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:32 PM   #174
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Certain people (usually, small children, and bigots, in my experience) have a great deal of difficulty recognizing people of different races.

And this college student calling the cops did not appear to be a small child, so there's that.

Other rumor I heard was that the person she called the police on recognized her, but not the other way around, because the white woman here is a known problem, having done similar things in the past. This would also explain why the black lady decided to put her up on Facebook to capture her foolishness.
I find it extremely doubtful that the racist didn't recognize her, unless the racist wasn't informed of the complaint filed against her and she screws with/over black people in the building so often that she doesn't remember the event that led to that complaint.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:33 PM   #175
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,501
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My guess? Preexisting feud or grudge between the two students. Possibly still race-related, but not actually a spur-of-the-moment racist reaction to seeing the a person of color asleep in the common room.
Agreed. Do you think the university would be wrong to punish the caller who wasted university resources and caused them a tiny bit of negative PR?
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:39 PM   #176
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,469
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Well, let's see what Yale says about their student ID's:

https://idcenter.yale.edu/
All students, faculty and staff of the University are required to obtain an ID card. The ID Card identifies you as a current member of the Yale community and should be carried with you at all times while you are on campus.
Hmmm....
She had her ID on her. Does that also say you must show said ID if someone in your dorm calls the cops on you for no legit reason?
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:42 PM   #177
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,469
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Captain_Swoop, 3point14, and I are all British.

To me 3point14's post was *dripping* with sarcasm. He - was pointing out precisely what you were saying.
Perhaps in British English if you say "had she done X" you mean "she did do X".

In American English 'had she done it' means 'she had not.'

Beyond that I apologized but I refuse to take the blame for such a poorly constructed sentence.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:45 PM   #178
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,501
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Beyond that I apologized but I refuse to take the blame for such a poorly constructed sentence.
If only the British had any expertise or experience with wit or the written word.
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:50 PM   #179
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,469
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Looked Sarah Braasch up on Open Secrets; she has donated to Senator Chris Murphy (D) twice, $3 each time.

Oh, that kind of Republican!
Is the woman in question 43 years old?

White Pages lists: Sarah Jane Braasch Age 43 | New haven , CT


Just curious.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:54 PM   #180
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19,576
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I have keys and know the names of owners for over 20 properties. Your ID confirms who you are, not having a key or knowing a name.

Eta: I've used my daughters key and of course knew her name when she was in undergrad. Should that give me free run of the dorms?
20 sounds like you're an outlier there. Still, it means that the owners or tenants of those properties have authorized you to access them. So, in that sense, you "belong" there when you go into your daughteŕ's dorm room of which you have the keys.

There should be a reasonable suspicion for asking for ID. When someone produces the key to a dorm room and opens it, it's IMHO not reasonable anymore to suspect they don't belong there. But no, the cops insist on her producing an ID, which Ms. Siyonbola does - an ID she just fetched from that same room she just opened.

And even that's not enough for the cops, because they then check said ID with the university administration. Because they think it's a reasonable suspicion that Ms. Siyonbola had (1) someone' else's room keys, (2) had forged a Yale student photo-ID, and (3) had laid that fake ID in said room. If that is their standard of reasonable suspicion, then they're either fascists or racists.
__________________
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:54 PM   #181
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,613
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My guess? Preexisting feud or grudge between the two students. Possibly still race-related, but not actually a spur-of-the-moment racist reaction to seeing the a person of color asleep in the common room.
Did you go there? You went there!

That is not Woke. That is a plausible and reasonable interpretation of events. You're in for it now.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:55 PM   #182
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 41,384
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is the woman in question 43 years old?
Could be. She has a big collection of degrees already, so she's got to be older than the typical student.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:59 PM   #183
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 5,613
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
20 sounds like you're an outlier there. Still, it means that the owners or tenants of those properties have authorized you to access them. So, in that sense, you "belong" there when you go into your daughteŕ's dorm room of which you have the keys.

There should be a reasonable suspicion for asking for ID. When someone produces the key to a dorm room and opens it, it's IMHO not reasonable anymore to suspect they don't belong there. But no, the cops insist on her producing an ID, which Ms. Siyonbola does - an ID she just fetched from that same room she just opened.

And even that's not enough for the cops, because they then check said ID with the university administration. Because they think it's a reasonable suspicion that Ms. Siyonbola had (1) someone' else's room keys, (2) had forged a Yale student photo-ID, and (3) had laid that fake ID in said room. If that is their standard of reasonable suspicion, then they're either fascists or racists.
Off the cuff, being (semi) fascists is an underdiscussed possibility. Cops being cops, getting their bad guy. Not familiar with Yale ID, perhaps they have a high turnover/dropout rate and the police need to verify that student status is active by calling it in?
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:00 PM   #184
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,469
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Agreed. Do you think the university would be wrong to punish the caller who wasted university resources and caused them a tiny bit of negative PR?
I think if she called because she got in a tiff with the woman, as opposed to called because she merely saw the woman, she should get a letter of reprimand of some kind.

Scene one (paranoid busybody): she sees a woman asleep in the common room, thinks the person is homeless or whatever, calls police: Send her a letter offering other options she might have taken like calling the RA.

Scene two (miffed busybody): she sees a woman asleep in the common room, wakes her and tells her she's not supposed to sleep there, the woman says she lives there and/or it's not her business, then she calls police: Send her a letter of reprimand about harassing fellow dorm neighbors.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:06 PM   #185
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 70,469
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
If only the British had any expertise or experience with wit or the written word.
Do you have a different interpretation of 'if she had' that includes 'she did'?
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:11 PM   #186
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,006
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Scene two (miffed busybody): she sees a woman asleep in the common room, wakes her and tells her she's not supposed to sleep there, the woman says she lives there and/or it's not her business, then she calls police: Send her a letter of reprimand about harassing fellow dorm neighbors.
I'm a little surprised you're so easygoing.

Using security resources to intentionally harass a fellow student? Especially after her prior incident, I think expulsion should be on the table.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:15 PM   #187
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 19,480
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Certain people (usually, small children, and bigots, in my experience) have a great deal of difficulty recognizing people of different races.

And this college student calling the cops did not appear to be a small child, so there's that.

Other rumor I heard was that the person she called the police on recognized her, but not the other way around, because the white woman here is a known problem, having done similar things in the past. This would also explain why the black lady decided to put her up on Facebook to capture her foolishness.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

2:43
"Well I can't say I ever noticed, sir"

And I bet GlennB at least, can guess what that youtube video is before clicking on it...

More seriously, as you say, small children are race-blind. Racism is learned.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:20 PM   #188
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19,576
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
The article where she mentioned it has been removed, but from the context, it doesn't seem like the way in which she was talking about that debate was in the context of personally supporting slavery.

Given the fact that the premise of her article was against Muslim head coverings, and the fact that the argument about slavery she brought up was about slaves who wished to continue being slaves, my strong guess is that she was making a comparison that slavery was wrong despite that and so are burqas. That wouldn't be an argument in favor of slavery, but the way the list in the article reads doesn't represent that.
Of course, the article is still up on the Wayback Machine.

From reading that article, I don't get away with the impression that she disowns that argument as only made for the debate.

The premise of the article was indeed about Muslim head coverings, and there she shows how she can liberally employ fallacies, e.g.:
Quote:
The French bill, which overwhelmingly passed in the lower house of parliament on July 13, is officially called “the bill to forbid concealing one’s face in public,” however this clunky appellation is rarely used in place of burqa ban. I like “anti-mask law.”
Sure. Really, that French law (as well as similar laws in other countries) is a clunkily secularly-disguised burqa ban. Before the (non)issue of burqas came up, no-one thought of the idea of outlawing wearing ski-masks or full-face helmets in public.
__________________
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:22 PM   #189
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 13,626
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
So, it seems that the bitch who called the cops almost certainly knew exactly who Ms. Siyonbola was when she saw her taking a nap in the common area.

From the Yale Daily News:
I thought that there was more than meets the eye in the OP.

If these women knew each other then this is a feud in which the cops more than happily sided against Siyonbola (shame on them). That would explain why the camera was necessary.

Without audio, the videos appeared to show a racial issue rather than a private dispute. Maybe that was Siyonbola's intention.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:25 PM   #190
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 22,590
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Because they could not find her in their database, because her name was misspelled.
Why did they even need to query the database? Just in case she had forged a Yale student ID and a dorm room key so that she could sneak into the building and sleep in the common room?

This incident should've been over the moment the victim produced a key and unlocked her room. "Sorry for the trouble ma'am, good night."
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 10th May 2018 at 02:34 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:28 PM   #191
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,501
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Do you have a different interpretation of 'if she had' that includes 'she did'?
I thought the sentence held up on its own. In the context it made sense, but I can see if you focus on it phrase by phrase it may not.

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I'm a little surprised you're so easygoing.

Using security resources to intentionally harass a fellow student? Especially after her prior incident, I think expulsion should be on the table.
A second offense does seem to be less forgivable if it involves the same people.
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:30 PM   #192
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I thought that there was more than meets the eye in the OP.

If these women knew each other then this is a feud in which the cops more than happily sided against Siyonbola (shame on them). That would explain why the camera was necessary.

Without audio, the videos appeared to show a racial issue rather than a private dispute. Maybe that was Siyonbola's intention.
Walk me through how there being a "feud" (which, by the way, implies fault on both sides, while we have evidence only of one person being at fault) negates or even reduces the possibility (I'd call it a likelihood) that racism is the basis of the problem.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:31 PM   #193
crescent
Master Poster
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,795
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is the woman in question 43 years old?

White Pages lists: Sarah Jane Braasch Age 43 | New haven , CT


Just curious.
She's working on her fifth degree:

Quote:
working on her fifth degree, a PhD in philosophy. She already has two engineering degrees, a law degree (she’s a member of the New York State Bar), and a master’s degree in philosophy.
That's a lot of college. Such a person could easily be 43 years old.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:32 PM   #194
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19,576
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Off the cuff, being (semi) fascists is an underdiscussed possibility. Cops being cops, getting their bad guy.
It's not the first video I see of American cops on a power trip. For the cops in this case, being fascists is my baseline assumption.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Not familiar with Yale ID, perhaps they have a high turnover/dropout rate and the police need to verify that student status is active by calling it in?
With the combination of room key and ID, how reasonable is it that both are illegitimate?
__________________
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:32 PM   #195
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,006
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
From reading that article, I don't get away with the impression that she disowns that argument as only made for the debate.
Her whole argument hinges on a repudiation of the idea in her middle school debate. I'm not saying it's well written or well argued or correct, it's none of those things. But it isn't a defense of slavery.

There are already a lot of great reasons to think this woman is an asshat. No need to invent any.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:41 PM   #196
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,134
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post


"a university administrator said Thursday" is not a source?
No it's not.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:42 PM   #197
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19,576
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Her whole argument hinges on a repudiation of the idea in her middle school debate. I'm not saying it's well written or well argued or correct, it's none of those things. But it isn't a defense of slavery.
If it were a repudiation of that idea, I would also have expected her to argue that JW should be outlawed, as well as the normal hijab. She seems fine, however, with her mother still dwelling in the "slavery" of the JW. And:
Quote:
The debate of our time is again about abolishing slavery. But this time it’s about abolishing the slavery of women, usually in the context of religion. It’s the same debate that was held in my middle school social studies class: should women get to “choose” to be slaves in a secular, liberal, constitutional democracy? This time, however, I don’t want to argue for the pro-slavery contingent.
doesn't tell me that she repudiates the argument she made (as assignment) in middle school. No, it's just "this time" she doesn't want to argue pro-slavery. Maybe I'm reading too much in it but I don't come away with a clear idea what she now thinks of the argument she made in middle school.
__________________
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:43 PM   #198
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,912
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Why did they even need to query the database? Just in case she had forged a Yale student ID and a dorm room key so that she could sneak into the building and sleep in the common room?

This incident should've been over the moment the victim produced a key and unlocked her room. "Sorry for the trouble ma'am, good night."
I agree. I suspect at that point, however, they had to log the incident on their computer and the misspelled name caused them problems. I do note that according to several articles at the end of the incident the cops gave Braasch a hard time.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:45 PM   #199
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,134
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

2:43
"Well I can't say I ever noticed, sir"

And I bet GlennB at least, can guess what that youtube video is before clicking on it...

More seriously, as you say, small children are race-blind. Racism is learned.
I was going to post that
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:51 PM   #200
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,134
If she had a phone in her hand she is lucky to be alive when the police arrived.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.