ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th May 2018, 03:54 AM   #241
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I was speaking generally and said "acting suspiciously" rather than trespass specifically. The highlighted was pretty much the significant part of my point anyway, that the police keep the situation from escalating rather than escalating it themselves.
But the police can't make someone leave if it is private property and the trespasser hasn't broken in. That's why it takes so long to get rid of squatters or a Traveller's caravan in a field.
You have to go to court to get an eviction order, then you have to serve and enforce it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 05:38 AM   #242
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

2:43
"Well I can't say I ever noticed, sir"

And I bet GlennB at least, can guess what that youtube video is before clicking on it...

More seriously, as you say, small children are race-blind. Racism is learned.
The phrase "Wearing a loud in a built up area after the hours of darkness," springs to mind without even having to click on it....
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 05:54 AM   #243
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I've been wondering how this would have panned out in the UK...

OPERATOR: "999, what's your emergency?"
STUDENT: "There's a person I don't recognise asleep in my halls of residence."
OPERATOR: "And...?"
STUDENT: "They shouldn't be here asleep!"
OPERATOR: "This number is for emergencies only. I suggest you contact your building or university security* and stop wasting our time."
STUDENT: "No, send the polcie to deal with thsi sleeping person."
OPERATOR: I can send the police to arrest you for making bogus emergecy calls, if you like...?"

* Which will be some bored and absolutely unarmed bloke in a hi-viz jacket.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:12 AM   #244
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
I've been wondering how this would have panned out in the UK...

OPERATOR: "999, what's your emergency?"
STUDENT: "There's a person I don't recognise asleep in my halls of residence."
OPERATOR: "And...?"
STUDENT: "They shouldn't be here asleep!"
OPERATOR: "This number is for emergencies only. I suggest you contact your building or university security* and stop wasting our time."
STUDENT: "No, send the polcie to deal with thsi sleeping person."
OPERATOR: I can send the police to arrest you for making bogus emergecy calls, if you like...?"

* Which will be some bored and absolutely unarmed bloke in a hi-viz jacket.
The one flaw in this, as far as I can see, is that I'm pretty sure the police in this case were "university security."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:15 AM   #245
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

At our university, it’s a matter of school policy that a student must display their student ID on request from any university official, not just we police.
Failure to do so may result in your arrest for trespassing...
And internal disciplinary action from the school’s judicial administrator.

As I mentioned in my first post, it’s not at all unusual for homeless people to try to crash in various places on campus. In addition, we get thieves, sex offenders, and other folks attempting to “tailgate” into the dorms (card access) for various purposes.

We cannot assume, when we get called, that the person is indeed authorized to be there. We’ve had people maintain that they are in fact students when they were not (usually in possession of a long-expired ID.
We’ve had drug-dealing gang members “shacking up” with female students.

The person who reported this to the police to begin with may indeed be a racist.... We can’t make such judgements. We verify the person belongs there and wave by-by. If they do not, we run a record check and our own files for previous warnings.
If they are wanted or have had previous warnings, they are arrested. If not, they get a written “No Trespass” warning and again, we wave by-by.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:20 AM   #246
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And herein we come to the question of technically vs practically.

Many areas are "Show ID on request areas" where, technically speaking, you can be asked to show an ID. This is a common enough rule in a lot of high security areas. Military bases, hospitals, probably most college campuses do have at least some areas where access is limited so having to show an ID is probably something everyone can wrap their heads around on a technical level.

But if you're only doing it to one demographic, does "technically correct" still apply?
Old 11th May 2018, 06:23 AM   #247
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

2:43
"Well I can't say I ever noticed, sir"

And I bet GlennB at least, can guess what that youtube video is before clicking on it...

More seriously, as you say, small children are race-blind. Racism is learned.
As it turns out, Constable Savage actually exists and is (was?) employed by the Met. (this Facebook video is a must-see).

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 07:09 AM   #248
Thermal
Master Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I once had the police called on me for "acting suspiciously" because I was walking to a payphone and back through a residential area, suspicion is usually in the mind of the beholder. I clearly haven't expressed myself well, but my point wasn't about the suspicion (in neither case was it justified) but the response to it, I think a polite enquiry from an impartial police officer is better than confrontation from a random stranger who has already decided you're up to no good.

Now please be clear that I completely understand that the experience of being approached by the police in the US is different to that in the UK, I acknowledge this in my post, particularly for African Americans. It is the fact that the police aren't seen as a neutral third party who attempt to resolve the situation fairly (whether it's a genuine breach of the law, or a racist false accusation) that I think turns a nuisance complaint into a genuinely offensive incident. For example, a polite approach, accepting (due to the complete absence of any evidence of wrong doing) Siyombola's explanation she was entitled to be there and possibly warning the complainant about nuscence calls (depending on the circumstances), would be a much better outcome than when the complainant took it upon herself to scream abuse at a person she felt wasn't entitled to be there.

When I was stopped I was treated politely, my explanation was accepted, I understood that having had a report the police had to follow up but the impression they gave was that they hadn't arrived with the assumption I was doing anything wrong that I had to disprove. It was certainly better than being confronted by a random stranger.

I'm in no way condoning the reports against these people, rather I'm condemning the way the police handled them.
Agreed. Due to my line of work (building contractor), I am often in empty properties, sometimes at night with a flashlight, and have had police called on me easily 10 times. They are normally polite, check my ID, and accept my explanation (checking status of project after hours, responding to service call, etc). Sometimes, being the USA, you do get the guns-drawn treatment. Once I had a small cordless drill in my hand when confronted, which I was told looked like a handgun. That one did not go well.

I sympathize with police when they are called out. They do not know what they are walking into and some will play it more cautious than others. If Siyombola had her papers and books around her, I would think the police would have no reason to suspect she was anything but a student, and should have given her the benefit of the doubt. If not, they may have been justified in calling in the ID to make sure she was an active student, and not (for instance) borrowing her former roomate's key to crash at the dorm.
Old 11th May 2018, 07:34 AM   #249
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Yes, I have said before that the UK police complaints procedure is only good in comparison to the US.

See the death of Ian Tomlinson as well. And PC Harwood's previous disciplinary record.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 07:47 AM   #250
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Agreed. Due to my line of work (building contractor), I am often in empty properties, sometimes at night with a flashlight, and have had police called on me easily 10 times. They are normally polite, check my ID, and accept my explanation (checking status of project after hours, responding to service call, etc). Sometimes, being the USA, you do get the guns-drawn treatment. Once I had a small cordless drill in my hand when confronted, which I was told looked like a handgun. That one did not go well.

I sympathize with police when they are called out. They do not know what they are walking into and some will play it more cautious than others. If Siyombola had her papers and books around her, I would think the police would have no reason to suspect she was anything but a student, and should have given her the benefit of the doubt. If not, they may have been justified in calling in the ID to make sure she was an active student, and not (for instance) borrowing her former roomate's key to crash at the dorm.
You note that the police generally accept your explanation. But this is the very thing that distinguishes this incident from yours. An explanation was made, to the accuser, and to the police. In the case of the police they got an explanation which they did not accept. She produced a room key and entered her room, which they did not accept. She produced a student ID which they did not accept.

I don't recall seeing anything about the key belonging to a former roommate. Was it a double room? I may have missed that. Do you have a citation on that? In any case, if she had a key to a room where there is a bed, and was "crashing at the dorm," it might be presumed that she had permission to use the room. Are guests in dorm rooms forbidden? Did the police presume that she had stolen the key? You say they were justified in calling in the ID to make sure she was an active student. Does that mean that they were justified in presuming that the ID was false, and disbelieving that she was in her room when she was in her room? They certainly exercised an unusual amount of diligence and disbelief with respect to everything Siyambola said or did, while apparently not doubting the integrity of her accuser. However you spin this, the police came into the situation with the assumption that Siyambola said or did was a fabrication, and ready to accept the story of a third party that she was a criminal, and unwilling to accept anything but another third party's proof that she was not.

Edit to add: I have not found any reference to the room in question being double, but may have missed it. I do find a specific reference to the fact that throughout all this the police did not ask the other student for her student ID or room key. Maybe if they had, they'd have realized that this wasn't the first time she'd wasted their time calling on a black student in the dorm!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 11th May 2018 at 08:00 AM.
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 07:53 AM   #251
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The one flaw in this, as far as I can see, is that I'm pretty sure the police in this case were "university security."
I just note that many campuses -- and Yale is one -- have fully accredited, armed police departments with full law enforcement powers. They can arrest you and they can shoot you.
https://your.yale.edu/community/publ...ice-department
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 07:55 AM   #252
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.........If not, they may have been justified in calling in the ID to make sure she was an active student, and not (for instance) borrowing her former roomate's key to crash at the dorm.
That's police business, is it? Really?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:07 AM   #253
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Trespassing usually is police business, yes. If school policy prohibits loaning out room keys to non-students in this way, then it's trespassing, and it's police business if the trespass is reported to them.

Obviously policy is going to vary from school to school, but I bet most schools have something along the lines of dormitory privileges not being transferable to non-students.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:10 AM   #254
Thermal
Master Poster

You note that the police generally accept your explanation. But this is the very thing that distinguishes this incident from yours. An explanation was made, to the accuser, and to the police. In the case of the police they got an explanation which they did not accept. She produced a room key and entered her room, which they did not accept. She produced a student ID which they did not accept.

I don't recall seeing anything about the key belonging to a former roommate. Was it a double room? I may have missed that. Do you have a citation on that? In any case, if she had a key to a room where there is a bed, and was "crashing at the dorm," it might be presumed that she had permission to use the room. Are guests in dorm rooms forbidden? Did the police presume that she had stolen the key? You say they were justified in calling in the ID to make sure she was an active student. Does that mean that they were justified in presuming that the ID was false, and disbelieving that she was in her room when she was in her room? They certainly exercised an unusual amount of diligence and disbelief with respect to everything Siyambola said or did, while apparently not doubting the integrity of her accuser. However you spin this, the police came into the situation with the assumption that Siyambola said or did was a fabrication, and ready to accept the story of a third party that she was a criminal, and unwilling to accept anything but another third party's proof that she was not.
I used the 'loaning key' strictly as a 'for example', and one that is common, IME.

My daughter recently completed her undergrad and is in law school now. She has shared a dorm with one or two other students every year, so perhaps I am assuming too much that this was not a private dorm.

AFAIK, overnight guests are not normally allowed in dorms. My kid's schools were excruciatingly clear on that, anyway.

When I say police checked my ID, they ran it through their system, not just looked at it. I have also shown texts, cel phone calls, and work orders to support that I had business on the properties. So yes, they accepted my explanation. They also required the exact same support as they required of this student.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:13 AM   #255
Thermal
Master Poster

For campus police? Absolutely. They are extremely concerned with unknown (to the school) persons running around dormitories in the middle of the night. They don't necessarily trust the students to determine who is safe to be there or not. Can't blame them, really. You are exposing other students to an unvetted stranger in a co-ed dorm.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:15 AM   #256
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Proves you are a student so you can get discount.
That's all I ever used it for. Hell, don't forget the Republicans passed legislation saying it wasn't adequate as voter ID.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:20 AM   #257
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
How can it be reliable with just a vague source like that?

It's as bad as Trump's 'people are saying'
Not worth a side track but those two things are far far from equivalent.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:26 AM   #258
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Sheesh, you guys really are far too strait-laced.

At uni in the late 70s/ early 80s there was a fire alarm in the middle of the night in the girls dorm. More males than females evacuated the building. THAT's the way uni should be.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 08:27 AM   #259
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

A university has every right to control who allowed on what parts of their campus and to implement reasonable methods for enforcing that. Asking a student to "show their ID" is perfectly acceptable in the abstract.

A university has the responsibility to enforce those regulations fairly and not in an discriminatory fashion. Asking a black student to show their ID in a context where a white student wouldn't is not acceptable.

These are not contradictory statements.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:28 AM   #260
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

For campus police?.......
This is such a bizarre idea, I can barely comprehend it. You people really can be weird sometimes.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:36 AM   #261
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sheesh, you guys really are far too strait-laced.

At uni in the late 70s/ early 80s there was a fire alarm in the middle of the night in the girls dorm. More males than females evacuated the building. THAT's the way uni should be.
It was a big deal somewhere in the 70s when dorms changed to coed (mixed gender). I think coed is the standard today with maybe some all women/all men dorms still an option.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:36 AM   #262
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Yes, as per MikeG's sentiments, that's what I was hinting at.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 11th May 2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:39 AM   #263
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is such a bizarre idea, I can barely comprehend it. You people really can be weird sometimes.
It's not much different from having a police department for a city. Some universities have city sized populations. If you have 15,000 students, it makes sense to have a police department for that population.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:44 AM   #264
Thermal
Master Poster

Campus police are the functional equivalent of a municipal force. Cars, guns, powers of arrest, the works. My assumption is that a dedicated force for the campus provides much faster response times and officers are familiar with the ins-and-outs of the campus, far more than a town cop would be.

In my oldest's senior year, there was some guy masturbating...in public...outside the gym where the women were working out. He was watching them through the windows. I'm kind of glad there are cops on school grounds sometimes.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:46 AM   #265
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

This is such a bizarre idea, I can barely comprehend it.
It's not that odd a concept. We had them from 1825 to 2003.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:10 AM   #266
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Campus police are the functional equivalent of a municipal force. Cars, guns, powers of arrest, the works.....
Exactly, you make my point for me. It's a crazy idea.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:16 AM   #267
Bob001
Philosopher

Unlike the UK, policing in the U.S. is local and decentralized. There are specialized federal police departments with limited jurisdiction, like the U.S. Park Police and Secret Service Uniformed Division, but no national police force. There are as many as 18,000 (no one seems to know for sure) independent police departments in the U.S., ranging from the giant NYPD and LAPD to a village cop and his dog. At big state universities in rural areas, the campus police department might well be bigger, better trained and better equipped than the local cops or county sheriff. And they are certainly better able to deal with student conflicts and college policies. Most colleges don't want the local cops intruding (I use the word deliberately) on their property without good reason.

Last edited by Bob001; 11th May 2018 at 09:17 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:19 AM   #268
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Unlike the UK, policing in the U.S. is local and decentralized.........
You meant "like the UK, policing ........". We have nearly 50 police forces here.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:21 AM   #269
Bob001
Philosopher

Exactly, you make my point for me. It's a crazy idea.
Why? A U.S. college campus can have the population and land area of a small city. Why shouldn't it have police?
Old 11th May 2018, 09:21 AM   #270
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It's not that odd a concept. We had them from 1825 to 2003.
Apparently the Cambridge version is still going, but that doesn't stop them being obscure historical anomalies. If "real crime" happens within university grounds, it's not their responsibility.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:23 AM   #271
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Apparently the Cambridge version is still going,
The where version?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:24 AM   #272
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You meant "like the UK, policing ........". We have nearly 50 police forces here.
Aww, that's cute. We have well over fifteen thousand.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:25 AM   #273
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Why? A U.S. college campus can have the population and land area of a small city. Why shouldn't it have police?
Because from a UK perspective, apart from the City of London Police (because... history), "small cities" don't get dedicated police forces, either. They're all covered by the greater county or regional police forces.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:26 AM   #274
Bob001
Philosopher

"Nearly" 50 (actually 45) for the entire UK vs. 18,000? You kinda make my point. And your territorial forces are regional; their jurisdication isn't limited to a town or city.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_en...United_Kingdom
Old 11th May 2018, 09:26 AM   #275
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Plus specialised forces as already mentioned Railway, MOD, Nuclear Energy and Ports all have police forces.

MOD Police patrol and guard military installations, they are not the same as Military Police.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:26 AM   #276
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Aww, that's cute. We have well over fifteen thousand.
Yes, and that seems to be the source of a lot of your problems.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:30 AM   #277
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Agree completely.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:31 AM   #278
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Perhaps, and I consider that a valid issue. I personally would like to see a more centralized police system.

But the idea of campus police for huge universities was called "bizarre" and "crazy," and the point was that it wasn't any crazier than a municipal police force.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:32 AM   #279
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
How can it be reliable with just a vague source like that?

It's as bad as Trump's 'people are saying'

No it isn't.

Not even vaguely similar.

Reputable news outlets know the source, they are just not publicizing it.

"People are saying" is meaningless. There are millions of "people", and some of the are probably "saying" just about anything.

"People are saying" offers no source at all, much less one which is known to the reporter.

Last edited by quadraginta; 11th May 2018 at 09:38 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 09:32 AM   #280
Bob001
Philosopher

You're right about that. There is a strong argument to be made that the smallest local police departments should be merged into bigger, better-trained county-wide forces. But the big-city departments would certainly insist on being exempted, and the small towns would fight with each other for resources.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events