ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th June 2018, 12:39 AM   #1
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Mystery illness in US consulate due to non-ionizing radiation?

Suddenly we have a 25 meter steel tower next to our back garden. No-one knew except the owner who is renting to Atlas Towers - a USA Colorado outfit.

The Council approval was done by stealth and fraud.

They rushed it up to try to beat my interdict. I got a bad judge (and I mean a useless know-nothing judge) and he would not hear it.

I have been investigating the health risks and my wife and I will relocate and rent our house if the tower gets energized.

DO CELL TOWERS CAUSE HEALTH PROBLEMS?

A few weeks ago I would have said no. I have changed my mind.

Now this:

Consulates may have high levels of cell-phone use and/or continuous cell-phone frequencies due to security concerns. Do they broadcast jamming signals? Are we seeing the first symptoms of the equivalent of cell-tower radiation sickness?

Quote:
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/ent...b0599bc6e02120

The new cases came just weeks after the first report of a sick U.S. consulate employee in Guangzhou. Each experienced symptoms that resemble an illness which has affected dozens of Americans in Cuba since 2016. They reported hearing strange noises and suffering from “dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, fatigue, cognitive issues, visual problems, ear complaints and hearing loss and difficulty sleeping,” the State Department said in a statement on Tuesday.

“The medical indications are very similar and entirely consistent with the medical indications that have taken place to Americans working in Cuba,” he told lawmakers. “We are working to figure out what took place, both in Havana and now in China as well.”

Ear, eye and sleep issues!! Are they focusing on low frequency sound because they do not want to admit to low level EM radiation possibilities?

My immune system is fighting a battle against inflammation from a bat fungus. Cancer is just being kept at bay. My wife and I will not stay here and be "collateral damage" if the tower is energized.

The health risks are based on heating damage, and while the frequency is too low to cause DIRECT DNA damage, the radiation DOES cause our cells to be "jiggled about" 900 million times a second (called "heating").

Can our brains think properly, and can cell division in young children happen properly while that is going on?

The mental issues are being avoided as too complex to properly measure. Do we have to wait until we have a produced a generation of children with mental defects to say non-ionizing radiation is a health risk?
Old 9th June 2018, 01:43 AM   #2
dann
Philosopher

I don't know if that kind of electromagnetic radiation is dangerous, but over the years there have been several reports of people being damaged by electromagnetic radiation from radars:

German soldiers died after microwave exposure (The Independent, Jul. 18, 2001) English
Causes of death among Belgian professional military radar operators (PubMed, Feb. 15, 2009) English
Soldat får anerkendt arbejdsskade på grund af radarstråling (fyens.dk, Nov. 11, 2002) Danish
Radarstråling fra amerikansk fregat påførte nordmænd stråleskader (Ingeniøren, Oct. 17, 2012) Danish
Accidental exposure to electromagnetic fields from the radar of a naval ship: a descriptive study (citeseerx.ist.psu.edu, 2013) English

ETA: The Guangzhou case was already mentioned in another thread.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 9th June 2018 at 02:01 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 01:55 AM   #3
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I don't know if that kind of electromagnetic radiation is dangerous, but over the years there have been several reports of people being damaged by electromagnetic radiation from radars:

German soldiers died after microwave exposure (The Independent, Jul. 18, 2001) English
Causes of death among Belgian professional military radar operators (PubMed, Feb. 15, 2009) English
Soldat får anerkendt arbejdsskade på grund af radarstråling (fyens.dk, Nov. 11, 2002) Danish
Radarstråling fra amerikansk fregat påførte nordmænd stråleskader (Ingeniøren, Oct. 17, 2012) Danish
Accidental exposere to electromagnetic fields from the radar of a naval ship: a descriptive study (citeseerx.ist.psu.edu, 2013) English
That understanding is neither new or unusual. Highly directional radars were something we knew to stay away from.
Old 9th June 2018, 01:57 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
That understanding is neither new or unusual. Highly directional radars were something we knew to stay away from.
Indeed that's even the urban legend on the development of USA "radar ovens".
Old 9th June 2018, 01:59 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Suddenly we have a 25 meter steel tower next to our back garden. No-one knew except the owner who is renting to Atlas Towers - a USA Colorado outfit.

They rushed it up to try to beat my interdict. I got a bad judge (and I mean a useless know-nothing judge) and he would not hear it.

I have been investigating the health risks and my wife and I will relocate and rent our house if the tower gets energized.

Now this:

Consulates may have high levels of cell-phone use and/or continuous cell-phone frequencies due to security concerns. Do they broadcast jamming signals? Are we seeing the first symptoms of the equivalent of cell-tower radiation sickness?

Ear, eye and sleep issues!! Are they focusing on low frequency sound because they do not want to admit to low level EM radiation possibilities?

My immune system is fighting a battle against inflammation from a bat fungus. Cancer is just being kept at bay. My wife and I will not stay here and be "collateral damage" if the tower is energized.

The health risks are based on heating damage, and while the frequency is too low to cause DIRECT DNA damage, the radiation DOES cause our cells to be "jiggled about" 900 million times a second (called "heating").

Can our brains think properly, and can cell division in young children happen properly while that is going on?

The mental issues are being avoided as too complex to properly measure. Do we have to wait until we have a produced a generation of children with mental defects to say non-ionizing radiation is a health risk?
You do know that if your cells weren't "jiggled about" you'd be dead? And even in death your cells will still do some "jiggling"?
Old 9th June 2018, 02:26 AM   #6
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Now this:

As a precaution, you need to put lead shielding around all your light bulbs. When in use, they continually leak non-ionizing radiation.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 9th June 2018 at 02:28 AM.
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 02:38 AM   #7
Mojo
Mostly harmless

And see: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19681059/

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 02:39 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
As a precaution, you need to put lead shielding around all your light bulbs. When in use, they continually leak non-ionizing radiation.
I think we need to consider shutting down the sun!
Old 9th June 2018, 03:25 AM   #9
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I read of one case where residents were up in arms about a tower, and reported all sorts of symptoms resulting from it. At a public meeting a representative of the company responsible was asked to respond, whereupon he calmly revealed that it hadn't been switched on yet. The impression that it was already on had been deliberately given to see what kind of nocebo symptoms would be reported.
Old 9th June 2018, 03:39 AM   #10
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I read of one case where residents were up in arms about a tower, and reported all sorts of symptoms resulting from it. At a public meeting a representative of the company responsible was asked to respond, whereupon he calmly revealed that it hadn't been switched on yet.

See? That’s how dangerous these towers are, even if they aren’t switched on!

Old 9th June 2018, 04:06 AM   #11
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No. The use of cellular technology is not new or unique to these locations. The symptoms observed here are new and unique to these locations. Whatever it is, it isn't cellular technology.

Quote:
If your health is already precarious, then you may be particularly susceptible to nocebo effects. So go ahead and move if it will make you feel better, but that's likely all it is.

Quote:
Heating damage can easily be counteracted by cooling. If you aren't hot, you aren't suffering from heating damage.

Quote:
Yes. We do all the time.

Visible light stimulates cells at far higher frequencies than this.

Quote:
The mental issues are being avoided as too complex to properly measure.
No. They're not being measured because we can't find any such effects in well-designed experiments which filter out other causes.

Quote:
Do we have to wait until we have a produced a generation of children with mental defects to say non-ionizing radiation is a health risk?
If you overheat anything biological, that will cause damage. This is not news. It is, in fact, the entire basis for thousands of years of cooking.

Don't cook yourself. This too is not news.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 04:52 AM   #12
Jungle Jim
Muse

You are concerned about the health risks of living next to this tower. It concerns you so much, you're considering moving. Yet, you will gladly rent your house to some unsuspecting person. What a guy.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 05:35 AM   #13
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

You may be on to something. I recommend setting your thermostat to 0K. That should bring all of this undesired cellular/molecular/atomic motion to a halt. You should live forever!

(Why didn't you just predict this and put a stop to the tower before it was built?)

Last edited by jrhowell; 9th June 2018 at 05:37 AM.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 05:40 AM   #14
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
You are concerned about the health risks of living next to this tower. It concerns you so much, you're considering moving. Yet, you will gladly rent your house to some unsuspecting person. What a guy.

Before you turn it into a question of bad ethics, you should consider that anybody renting this house is hardly "unsuspecting":

Suddenly we have a 25 meter steel tower next to our back garden.
A 25 meter steel tower will be very difficult to hide!

And there appears to be no actual health risk, even though I can see why people would be suspicious.
There also doesn't seem to any actual connection to the Guangzhou incident. That the diplomats were harmed by "low level EM radiation" is speculation only - just like the prevalent idea that they were harmed by a Cuban super-sonic high-tech weapon.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 06:16 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Before you turn it into a question of bad ethics, you should consider that anybody renting this house is hardly "unsuspecting":

...snip...
Doesn't matter if they are unsuspecting or suspecting. What Partskeptic is saying is "I don't want to made unwell by the tower but I am happy charging you money to be made unwell by the tower".

It's the typical slum landlord mentality.
Old 9th June 2018, 07:01 AM   #16
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Accidental exposure to electromagnetic fields from the radar of a naval ship: a descriptive study (citeseerx.ist.psu.edu, 2013) English

Thanks for the reference. The last page did refer to possible EM radiation. I will read it more carefully.
Old 9th June 2018, 07:14 AM   #17
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You do know that if your cells weren't "jiggled about" you'd be dead? And even in death your cells will still do some "jiggling"?

Good point.

Our body temperature likes to be 37 deg C. At 43 deg C our brains are in danger, and there could be damage.

Can neurons be stimulated to fire abnormally with cell radiation? Can our nerve system act like antennae?

When one has a cell tower with about 16 different frequencies all varying slightly for information and directional forming the possibility of that they combine to produce a number of intense highs is much more likely. If the number and intensity of these local highs occur in the brain can they cause damage, and/or a much higher incidence of unwanted interference such as mis-firings of neurons?

One thing I can say is that people are afraid.

Cell phones 0.8 to 2.1 GHz. Microwave oven 2.25 GHz.
Old 9th June 2018, 07:15 AM   #18
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Microwave exposure of sufficient energy to heat up tissue is damaging, potentially lethal.

However, many of the older cases of RADAR operators getting radiation damages were not due to the RADAR beam as such. Instead, in older RADAR sets a certain type of valve, a thyratron, was used, and parts of those became radioactive with use. Handling those components caused the damage.

Modern RADAR sets use a semiconductor called a thyristor instead, which eliminates that danger. The high-energy microwave output still poses a hazard, of course.

Hans
Old 9th June 2018, 07:15 AM   #19
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Power levels and frequencies?
Old 9th June 2018, 07:25 AM   #20
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Thanks for that. There are two sides each struggling to prove risk versus no-risk.

A dental professor got money from the candy industry and proved that sugar does not cause tooth decay. He was right - the sugar does not, but the bacteria feeding on the sugar do.

The ICNIRP is a non-profit organization that takes the lead in determining which studies to accept and which to reject. It relies on donor money. And who has the money? And the interest?

A friend said to a meeting to discuss the tower - "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

And a professor I spoke with said "One cannot prove a negative".
Old 9th June 2018, 07:29 AM   #21
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

I think we need to consider shutting down the sun!

Our bodies can deal with a million cancer cell per day. If your immune system gets "jammed" or the rate of cancer cell production goes up. The person gets diagnosed with an outbreak of cancer.

Stay in the hot sun for a long time especially in New Zealand with its high UV content and see what happens to you.
Old 9th June 2018, 07:32 AM   #22
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

I read of one case where residents were up in arms about a tower, and reported all sorts of symptoms resulting from it. At a public meeting a representative of the company responsible was asked to respond, whereupon he calmly revealed that it hadn't been switched on yet. The impression that it was already on had been deliberately given to see what kind of nocebo symptoms would be reported.

I already have symptoms that are very real and it has not been switched on yet.

My adrenaline levels are very high and I am in serious fight mode. I have already appeared in the High Court here to interdict the mast being put up. On appearance and wrong siting - not radiation (yet).
Old 9th June 2018, 07:37 AM   #23
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post

What an assumption so you can sling mud! Look in the mirror some day.

We will tell people why we are moving out. The tower towers over the property, and the 2.5 meter fencing with razor wire on it cannot be missed. If they want good signal and do not care that is their prerogative.

We would not rent to a family with small children. The children do not deserve the ignorance of the parents.
Old 9th June 2018, 07:40 AM   #24
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Instead, in older RADAR sets a certain type of valve, a thyratron, was used, and parts of those became radioactive with use.
This needs clarification. During use, thyratrons can produce x-rays if the voltage is high. They do not, however, become radioactive, in the sense that they do not give off ionizing radiation while the device is unpowered.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 07:42 AM   #25
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Up to 150 watts, across a broad spectrum.

It's called light.
Old 9th June 2018, 07:47 AM   #26
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Doesn't matter if they are unsuspecting or suspecting. What Partskeptic is saying is "I don't want to made unwell by the tower but I am happy charging you money to be made unwell by the tower".

OTOH someone who has bothered to educate themselves about the rational way to establish health risks could acquire a property at much less than the current market rate by taking advantage of other people's irrational, uninformed fears.
Old 9th June 2018, 07:50 AM   #27
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No. The use of cellular technology is not new or unique to these locations. The symptoms observed here are new and unique to these locations. Whatever it is, it isn't cellular technology.

(snip)

And you are certain?

Cell phone tech is increasing all the time. The frequencies are also increasing because the distances are decreasing. Apparently we are going to have a tower every 500 meters in order to handle the massive increases in data.

Check this article

Quote:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ntrol-by-cell/

...But scientists can do more with brainwaves than just listen in on the brain at work-they can selectively control brain function by transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). This technique uses powerful pulses of electromagnetic radiation beamed into a person's brain to jam or excite particular brain circuits.

...The data showed that when the cell phone was transmitting, the power of a characteristic brain-wave pattern called alpha waves in the person's brain was boosted significantly.

...The result was surprising. Not only could the cell phone signals alter a person's behavior during the call, the effects of the disrupted brain-wave patterns continued long after the phone was switched off.

...some of the test subjects had difficulty falling asleep.
(Some ) organisms are incredibly sensitive to low levels of some things. What about animals who can sense magnetic fields?
Old 9th June 2018, 07:53 AM   #28
Mojo
Mostly harmless

At frequencies significantly higher than the radiation you are worried about, therefore of higher energy.

Old 9th June 2018, 07:57 AM   #29
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Again with the nasty assumptions. I said that I am a case that is particularly sensitive with borderline immune system. We had realtors here saying that the tower could be a selling point. Great coverage.

Remember that until four weeks ago I would have said, and did say to my wife, that it was not a health concern. I have changed my position on the "potential" for health as both of us are elderly, and as I have learned more. My wife's children have said they are afraid to bring their newborns here.
Old 9th June 2018, 07:59 AM   #30
dann
Philosopher

No, I don't think it is. It's more like the people who believe that they are extra sensitive to 'electrical fields', WIFI etc. (In the case in point, PartSkeptic's real or imagined, I don't know: "My immune system is fighting a battle against inflammation from a bat fungus. Cancer is just being kept at bay.) Why wouldn't they rent out to somebody who didn't have a problem with that? Like I said, it's not like you can hide "a 25 meter steel tower next to our back garden." If somebody sees it and doesn't have a problem with it, fine! (And I was not the one who came up with the word "unsuspecting.")
However, if you think that there's actual danger, then, by all means, call it "typical slum landlord mentality." If you don't - and you don't seem to do - I think it would be better to call it pseudo-scientific superstition. (Or is that a pleonasm?)
Old 9th June 2018, 08:01 AM   #31
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Microwave exposure of sufficient energy to heat up tissue is damaging, potentially lethal.

However, many of the older cases of RADAR operators getting radiation damages were not due to the RADAR beam as such. Instead, in older RADAR sets a certain type of valve, a thyratron, was used, and parts of those became radioactive with use. Handling those components caused the damage.

Modern RADAR sets use a semiconductor called a thyristor instead, which eliminates that danger. The high-energy microwave output still poses a hazard, of course.

Hans

Thanks for that information.

An older guy told me that operators would stand in front of the radar for a short while before they visited the women in town. Temporary sterility. May be urban legend but we all know how stupid young people (including myself at that age) can be.
Old 9th June 2018, 08:01 AM   #32
dann
Philosopher

Was that what happened to the Danish guy in Kongelunden who got throat cancer?
Old 9th June 2018, 08:02 AM   #33
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Up to 150 watts, across a broad spectrum.

It's called light.

Oh. I thought you knew something I did not.
Old 9th June 2018, 08:15 AM   #34
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

OTOH someone who has bothered to educate themselves about the rational way to establish health risks could acquire a property at much less than the current market rate by taking advantage of other people's irrational, uninformed fears.

Let me see.

Leaded petrol.
Smoking tobacco.
Taking radium for health benefits.
Thalidomide.

I could go on but perhaps you get my point.

My underline bold.

Quote:
https://ehtrust.org/scientists-and-d...ealth-effects/

“We, the undersigned, more than 180 scientists and doctors from 35 nations, recommend a moratorium on the roll-out of the fifth generation, 5G, for telecommunication until potential hazards for human health and the environment have been fully investigated by scientists independent from industry.”

“The wireless industry is trying to deploy technology that may have some very real unintended harmful consequences,” explains one of the organizers of the letter, Lennart Hardell, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine and Health, Örebro University, Örebro, Sweden.

“Scientific studies from years ago along with many new studies are consistently identifying harmful human health impacts when wireless products are tested properly using conditions that reflect actual exposures.

With hazards at those exposures, we are very concerned that the added exposure to 5G radiation could result in tragic, irreversible harm.”

5G expansion, which is designed to carry higher loads of data more rapidly through wireless transmission, will require the construction of cell towers every 10-20 houses in urban areas.
Old 9th June 2018, 08:17 AM   #35
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

No, I don't think it is. (snip)
Thanks. A breath of fresh air.
Old 9th June 2018, 08:24 AM   #36
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

And you are certain?
Yes.

Quote:
Cell phone tech is increasing all the time.
Cuba is not at the leading edge of cell phone tech. Whatever happened in Cuba wasn't because of cell phones. That is true even if cell phones are bad for you.

Oh. I thought you knew something I did not.
I knew what Mojo was referring to. Does that count?
Old 9th June 2018, 08:24 AM   #37
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Our bodies can deal with a million cancer cell per day. If your immune system gets "jammed" or the rate of cancer cell production goes up. The person gets diagnosed with an outbreak of cancer.

Stay in the hot sun for a long time especially in New Zealand with its high UV content and see what happens to you.

UV radiation is the lowest electromagnetic (EM) frequency with sufficient energy to break chemical bonds, e.g. those in DNA molecules. Such breakage can result in mutations which can lead to cancers (think skin cancers); this is well established. The energy of EM is proportional to the frequency. The frequency, and therefore the energy, of cell phone radio waves is approximately 6 to 7 orders of magnitude lower than the lowest frequency that causes such damage.

The biggest risk to you from the cell tower is lower property values.
Old 9th June 2018, 08:30 AM   #38
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Let me see.

Leaded petrol.
Smoking tobacco.
Taking radium for health benefits.
Thalidomide.
If your point is that drawing hasty conclusions based on inadequate evidence is unwise then - that's actually my point.
Old 9th June 2018, 08:46 AM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No, I don't think it is. It's more like the people who believe that they are extra sensitive to 'electrical fields', WIFI etc. (In the case in point, PartSkeptic's real or imagined, I don't know: "My immune system is fighting a battle against inflammation from a bat fungus. Cancer is just being kept at bay.) Why wouldn't they rent out to somebody who didn't have a problem with that? Like I said, it's not like you can hide "a 25 meter steel tower next to our back garden." If somebody sees it and doesn't have a problem with it, fine! (And I was not the one who came up with the word "unsuspecting.")
However, if you think that there's actual danger, then, by all means, call it "typical slum landlord mentality." If you don't - and you don't seem to do - I think it would be better to call it pseudo-scientific superstition. (Or is that a pleonasm?)
We aren't talking about whether the risk is real or not when we examine Partskeptic's motives for renting, he has explicitly stated that he is happy to rent his current property he doesn't care if it causes harm to someone else. That is the slum lord mentality.

Is he willing to rent a property that will harm someone? That's a different question and one I've not yet commented on.
Old 9th June 2018, 09:40 AM   #40
dann
Philosopher

I have not idea what he is willing to do, but you keep ignoring this part where he emphasizes that he thinks that he can't handle it unlike somebody in full health: "My immune system is fighting a battle against inflammation from a bat fungus. Cancer is just being kept at bay.)"

But since the damage is probably imaginary anyway, it doesn't really matter.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology