ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th June 2018, 11:33 AM   #161
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Are you familiar with the saying "correlation does not equal causation"?
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Nicholas cage movies make people drown.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 11:34 AM   #162
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Am I right about these statements? Are they FACTS?

1. Fertility is decreasing.
2. Autism is increasing
3. ADHD is increasing
4. Alzheimers is increasing

Consumption of organic produce is increasing.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 12:48 PM   #163
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
It's really hard to find inorganic produce.
Old 20th June 2018, 06:11 PM   #164
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Number of people playing Dungeons and Dragons is increasing.
Old 20th June 2018, 11:55 PM   #165
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Number of people playing Dungeons and Dragons is increasing.
Therefore eating organic produce causes people to play Dungeons and Dragons.

And decreased fertility causes Alzheimer's.

And autism causes decreased fertility.

To be clear: I'm not ruling out a causative correlation between cell phone usage and some kind of health problem. It seems unlikely but many things that seemed unlikely turned out to be true, and the data that's been gathered and analysed is not yet sufficient to rule it out. But "PartSkeptic has a gut feeling" is not part of that data. It's an utterly worthless observation.
Old 21st June 2018, 12:11 AM   #166
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

Bioinitiative
How much effort did you expend assessing the reliability of this source?
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2018, 12:50 AM   #167
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marting View Post
It's really hard to find inorganic produce.

But there are so many other inorganic alternatives.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2018, 01:22 AM   #168
Kid Eager
Philosopher

There is a definite correlation between the length of a thread and the degree of tenuousness of claims made. I call this the Bonkers Gradient(TM)

There is also a definite correlation between my eating porridge and the number of random assertions in this thread. Ergo, porridge increases assertiveness.

Shut up.
Old 21st June 2018, 01:30 AM   #169
dann
Philosopher

Sorry, I missed this one, and I think you're actually on to something here:

Can I argue that my "fear" of cell radiation is "real" and therefore the tower is a health hazard?

It depends on your definition of health, but you could definitely argue that your fear of cell radiation threatens your well-being. You can argue that about almost anything, so it's a good idea to distinguish between rational and irrational fears and rational and irrational solutions to these fears.
If you have a fear of measles, for instance, it may actually be rational, depending on the level of fear: The virus makes you sick, and in (nowadays and in our part of the world) extreme cases, it may even kill you. The rational solution to the problem is to be vaccinated against the disease - unless you belong to one of these minorities.
However, if you fear the color yellow, then you are suffering from xanthophobia. Your fear is 100% irrational so the color doesn't really threaten your well-being, but your phobia does. Trying to eliminate or avoid the color is the wrong way to deal with the problem.

The first step of a rational solution to your fear of cell-phone radiation is to carry out the (double-blinded!) experiment to determine if you can actually sense the difference between a cell-phone that's turned on and one that isn't. (You may even consider to have somebody remove the battery entirely to make sure that there is no electromagnetic radiation whatsoever.)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2018, 05:17 AM   #170
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by dann View Post
But there are so many other inorganic alternatives.

"It's a floor wax and a dessert topping!"
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2018, 06:05 AM   #171
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sceptic-PK View Post
How much effort did you expend assessing the reliability of this source?

Here is an article (actually a book) for all you scoffers.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/197...0cf8b26a8f.pdf

After you have properly read this, try telling me why cell phones are safe, and that they are CERTAINLY NOT to blame for consulate problems.

My instincts were (once more) correct as far as I am concerned.

The heating effects are being used as the "gold standard" for safety. Low-level triggering effects are grudgingly being acknowledged by the industry but being sidelined for obvious reasons.

They are finding that pulsed and resonant microwaves cause problems. This is a new field of study that is difficult to get repeatable experiments.

Another problem is scaling. A rat is rather small compared to a human.
Old 21st June 2018, 06:19 AM   #172
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

I like this quote from the book (IEEE Wiley 2007)

"The sun may well warm a plant. Nobody says, however, that the action of the sunlight on a plant is exclusively thermal."
Old 21st June 2018, 08:27 AM   #173
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

“The truth isn't easily pinned to a page. In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap and much more difficult to find.”

― Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2018, 08:32 AM   #174
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/197...0cf8b26a8f.pdf

After you have properly read this, try telling me why cell phones are safe, and that they are CERTAINLY NOT to blame for consulate problems.

My instincts were (once more) correct as far as I am concerned.

The heating effects are being used as the "gold standard" for safety. Low-level triggering effects are grudgingly being acknowledged by the industry but being sidelined for obvious reasons.

They are finding that pulsed and resonant microwaves cause problems. This is a new field of study that is difficult to get repeatable experiments.

Another problem is scaling. A rat is rather small compared to a human.
Tell you what - it's your claim you tell us why - once you've properly read the book of course.
Old 21st June 2018, 11:44 AM   #175
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Tell you what - it's your claim you tell us why - once you've properly read the book of course.

I have read the book. It supports my claims, although it is 2007. It is however trying to steer a neutral course. The authors clearly know (and say it) the contentious issues.

No-one here has done any research, and if they have, it is to check what the agencies say. There is now a flood of studies with possible risks. The similarity to the tobacco and leaded gasoline toxicity scandals are becoming very evident.

BTW. Up to 1940 (not 1840) it was thought that defective babies were due to hereditary causes. Fetal alcohol syndrome changed that thinking.

I feel like I am debating flat-earthers.
Old 21st June 2018, 11:45 AM   #176
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
“The truth isn't easily pinned to a page. In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap and much more difficult to find.”

― Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Amen to that.
Old 21st June 2018, 11:52 PM   #177
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

I have read the book. It supports my claims, although it is 2007.
Then it's a bit odd that you haven't actually been able to score a single point in this thread. Thus far you have not demonstrated a keen understanding of non-ionising radiation.

No-one here has done any research, and if they have, it is to check what the agencies say. There is now a flood of studies with possible risks.
I did enough research to determine that your previous source, the Bio-Initiative Report, is published by a bunch of political activists and a consultant who delivers EMF fearmongering for dollars, and the fact that the papers published in both reports have serious quality issues and reflect excessive levels of confirmation bias.
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:12 AM   #178
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/197...0cf8b26a8f.pdf.
A glance at the contents page shows that it contains no data whatsoever on correlations, let alone possibly causative correlations, between cell phone usage and health problems. The only relevant sections seem to be about mechanisms by which non ionising radiation might have an affect on biological tissue. That's akin to speculating about the mechanisms by which homeopathy might work without first establishing that it does work.

ETA: I've now scanned the book and it appears to be a fairly comprehensive summary of the research into the effects of various kinds of radiation on biological tissue. The main focus seems to be on medical uses, but there are a few mentions of general public exposure where the conclusion is usually that most studies have shown no ill effect but further studies are needed, with which I would not disagree.

Last edited by Pixel42; 22nd June 2018 at 01:44 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2018, 02:06 AM   #179
dann
Philosopher

Did you find time to do the double-blinded test yet, PartSkeptic?
Old 22nd June 2018, 02:09 AM   #180
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Did you find time to do the double-blinded test yet, PartSkeptic?
Why does he need to do that he knows he's right?
Old 22nd June 2018, 02:10 AM   #181
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I have read the book. It supports my claims, although it is 2007. ...snip...
#

Then provide the cites to the book.
Old 22nd June 2018, 03:46 AM   #182
dann
Philosopher

Why does he need to do that he knows he's right?

Yes, being convinced that you're right is superior to making sure that you're right!
Old 22nd June 2018, 06:53 AM   #183
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sceptic-PK View Post
Then it's a bit odd that you haven't actually been able to score a single point in this thread. Thus far you have not demonstrated a keen understanding of non-ionising radiation.

I did enough research to determine that your previous source, the Bio-Initiative Report, is published by a bunch of political activists and a consultant who delivers EMF fearmongering for dollars, and the fact that the papers published in both reports have serious quality issues and reflect excessive levels of confirmation bias.

Maybe you are right about the activism and the fearmongering. Does that make them wrong about the potential hazards? I am now a committed activist. Can you please send me some dollars so I can get this tower out of our back yard? And spread the word in South Africa!

Did you know some Courts have dismissed all the reports by the ICNIRP on the basis that they are funded by the industry and are therefore not considered acceptable in terms of the standard of evidence required by the Courts?

The US is considered as behind the times, and as "captured" in terms of some of the agencies or some sections of the agencies.

Wikipedia states that Ciprofloxin is a great antibiotic with a few side effects. Reading it would make me think that it was okay to take. The Black Box warning is a bit concerning.

My daughter who is a veterinarian says that they are warned not to give young dogs the medication because it will cripple them for life. Okay for the general human population. No wonder so many people are having joint replacements. But anyone like me is just an alarmist - yes?
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:04 AM   #184
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Needs more sequitation.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:19 AM   #185
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Maybe you are right about the activism and the fearmongering. Does that make them wrong about the potential hazards? I am now a committed activist. Can you please send me some dollars so I can get this tower out of our back yard? And spread the word in South Africa!

Did you know some Courts have dismissed all the reports by the ICNIRP on the basis that they are funded by the industry and are therefore not considered acceptable in terms of the standard of evidence required by the Courts?

The US is considered as behind the times, and as "captured" in terms of some of the agencies or some sections of the agencies.

Wikipedia states that Ciprofloxin is a great antibiotic with a few side effects. Reading it would make me think that it was okay to take. The Black Box warning is a bit concerning.

My daughter who is a veterinarian says that they are warned not to give young dogs the medication because it will cripple them for life. Okay for the general human population. No wonder so many people are having joint replacements. But anyone like me is just an alarmist - yes?

And you shouldn't give Tylenol to your cats.

Also, a vegetarian diet will kill them. Slowly and painfully.

Okay for the human population.

Cats and dogs are not humans.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:21 AM   #186
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Are you truly unaware that there are differences in how different biological species will react to different chemicals?
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:48 AM   #187
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Are you truly unaware that there are differences in how different biological species will react to different chemicals?
Not to mention differences in how different individuals will react. I had a weird reaction to Nitrofurantoin (numbness in the fingers and shooting pains in the feet) but the alternative antibiotic my doctor promptly prescribed was fine.

As always it's a case of finding the best treatment in each case - the best one being the one that produces the most positive effect with the least side effects. Any cost benefit analysis on antibiotics will come down heavily on the plus side, they must have saved millions of lives.
Old 22nd June 2018, 10:03 AM   #188
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

How many of you subscribe to this?

Quote:
Precautionary principle: is a well-known principle in environmental law, that states there is a social responsibility to protect the public from exposure to harm, when scientific investigation has found a plausible risk. Such protections can be relaxed only if further scientific findings emerge that provide sound evidence that no harm will result.
The studies are showing plausible risk.
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:25 AM   #189
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Most of the studies that have been done show no reason for concern, but more longer term studies are needed.

I would not spend hours every day with a mobile phone jammed against my head, but that's the extent of the precautions I consider necessary based on the information currently available.
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:41 AM   #190
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Any chance yet of the cites?
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:45 AM   #191
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Plausible risk of what?

Not plausible risk of what some of our diplomats experienced in Cuba.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:54 AM   #192
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I can feel dust mites in a room, even just a few. And demodectic mites, even the canine variety.
No you cannot. Nothing about dust mites, human senses, or basic physics makes this possible.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2018, 02:47 PM   #193
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Like chocolate and onion. Don't give them to your dog it makes them ill, no wonder people are ... etc

Dogs aren't people. Antibiotics are OK to take, they cure you of things that nothing else will. They are restricted and given in controlled doses (Well they are in the UK, I don't know about the USA)

Anyway this is a diversion from your OP.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 22nd June 2018 at 02:49 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2018, 10:16 PM   #194
Planigale
Master Poster

You do not give ciprofloxacin to young or pregnant humans for the same reason. Yes it is OK for the general population of adult humans. But not great if you have epilepsy, and don't go tanning when you are taking it, as it is a photosensitiser. Joint replacements and arthritis were an issue before ciprofloxacin was around. Tetracyclines aren't used in pregnant women or young children either. It is worth remembering that antibiotics by definition are natural. They are produced by fungi or bacteria to kill off other bacteria.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2018, 03:29 AM   #195
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
[/hilite]

You do not give ciprofloxacin to young or pregnant humans for the same reason. Yes it is OK for the general population of adult humans. But not great if you have epilepsy, and don't go tanning when you are taking it, as it is a photosensitiser. Joint replacements and arthritis were an issue before ciprofloxacin was around. Tetracyclines aren't used in pregnant women or young children either. It is worth remembering that antibiotics by definition are natural. They are produced by fungi or bacteria to kill off other bacteria.

This is an important parallel to cell phone radiation.

Ciprofloxin destroys certain good cells. Cartilage does not replace itself, so when destroyed it stays destroyed. Is this an "either/or" effect, or a linear effect?

Does everyone who takes ciprofloxin get "some damage", or do some get "no damage". Do those who get "some damage" just not notice it? Why do some people get "wrecked" by it?

How do you tell whether a man with damaged knee joints has the condition because of athletics when younger, or because of genetics, or because of Ciprofloxin, or because of all of these?

You do know that the EMF standard is based on a 200 lb man who is in excellent health? What about children? What about the elderly and the sick? Or should we be killing off the weak? Bring back eugenics?

BTW - Arsenic is also "natural". Nature has an amazing balance. Our weather and the biosphere is a fine example. Global warming? Bah - humbug say some.
Old 23rd June 2018, 03:32 AM   #196
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
No you cannot. Nothing about dust mites, human senses, or basic physics makes this possible.

So what am I feeling?

Why can I "cure" it.

And explain why it is physically impossible?

I think you are another who has a cast-in-stone belief system.
Old 23rd June 2018, 03:56 AM   #197
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I have read the book. It supports my claims, although it is 2007. I ...snip....

#

Then provide the cites to the book.
Any chance yet of the cites?

Any time soon?
Old 23rd June 2018, 06:54 AM   #198
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Any time soon?

I notice that he hasn’t responded to Pixel42’s recent posts either.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2018, 07:35 AM   #199
steenkh
Philosopher

So what am I feeling?

Why can I "cure" it.
I have no idea what you are feeling, but it is certainly an established fact that people can feel things that are not actually there, and they can go through some ritual, like killing bugs, that makes the feeling good away.

It may not be what is happening here, but it is naive to ignore the possibility.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2018, 09:04 AM   #200
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

How do you tell whether a man with damaged knee joints has the condition because of athletics when younger, or because of genetics, or because of Ciprofloxin, or because of all of these?
By using the scientific method to compare different populations you can get a pretty good idea how much each contributes to the total incidence of damaged knee joints, even if you can't determine the exact contribution of each for any particular individual.

Last edited by Pixel42; 23rd June 2018 at 09:07 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology