ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 15th June 2018, 03:22 AM   #201
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Lol
Old 15th June 2018, 08:51 AM   #202
Stacko
Philosopher

Manafort's bail has been revoked.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 09:01 AM   #203
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Love the gifs What's the score on whether/when The Orange One can pardon him?
Old 15th June 2018, 09:01 AM   #204
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Don't know why any one would think Trump's campaign manager for several months had anything to do with Trump's campaign!

I know this has to be true because Trump just said it.
Old 15th June 2018, 09:24 AM   #205
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
That's ok. Cohen was just a coffee boy. Didn't really do that much for Trump. Nothing to see here. These are not the droids you're looking for.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 09:28 AM   #206
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

And it could not happen to a nicer fella.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 09:34 AM   #207
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump today

"Manafort had nothing to do with our campaign. ... Paul Manafort worked with me for a very short period of time."

Apart from being the manager of the campaign that is.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 09:50 AM   #208
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Old 15th June 2018, 09:53 AM   #209
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

For When Trump Supporters Claim Paul Manafort was a "Nobody":

Campaign Head for 144 Days, Personally Picked Pence, Worked w/ Trump for 30 years, Lived in Trump Tower where he met Trump constantly, Worked on Trump transition team, Attended Trump Tower meeting.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 09:57 AM   #210
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Campaign Head for 144 Days, Personally Picked Pence, Worked w/ Trump for 30 years, Lived in Trump Tower where he met Trump constantly, Worked on Trump transition team, Attended Trump Tower meeting.
Yeah but what you don't know is that the position of being campaign head and working on the transition team just involves getting coffee. Nothing else.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 09:58 AM   #211
Crossbow

Trump today

"Manafort had nothing to do with our campaign. ... Paul Manafort worked with me for a very short period of time."

Oh gee whiz!

With Trump throwing Manafort under the bus in this way, then I guess that means that there is no chance at all of Manafort being pardoned by Trump. Furthermore, it also means that Manafort is now free to flip on Trump in order make his own deal with Bob Muller.

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 09:59 AM   #212
Zambo
Scholar

Did Trump just say in a TV interview 44 days?
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 10:02 AM   #213
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You're forgetting he was campaign manager during the actual Republican convention, the high point of the primary campaign, and orchestrated the removal of the condemnation of Russia for invading Crimea from the platform.
Old 15th June 2018, 10:03 AM   #214
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump today

An exact quote from Trump is:
"You know, Paul Manafort worked for me for a very short period of time. He worked for Ronald Reagan. He worked for Bob Dole. He worked for many other he worked for me, what, 49 days or something. Very short period of time."
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/15/mana...ng-charge.html

Yes, the real number is way off, and he worked as Trump's campaign chair for almost half a year (in addition to his other jobs). Any idea where the '49 days' comes from? seems like a strangely specific number.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th June 2018, 10:06 AM   #215
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
With Trump throwing Manafort under the bus in this way, then I guess that means that there is no chance at all of Manafort being pardoned by Trump. Furthermore, it also means that Manafort is now free to flip on Trump in order make his own deal with Bob Muller.
Don't be silly.

Trump minimizing Manafort's role in his campaign just means that when he does pardon him, he can say "Look how magnanimous I am... even pardoning people who didn't really do much for me".

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th June 2018, 10:21 AM   #216
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh gee whiz!

The problem Trump faces with a pardon is that Manafort will then no longer be free NOT to flip on Trump.

I wrongly predicted a week or so ago that he'd be pardoned before ever seeing a cell. I was forgetting the above.
Old 15th June 2018, 10:26 AM   #217
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The problem Trump faces with a pardon is that Manafort will then no longer be free NOT to flip on Trump.
The other problem is that in addition to federal charges (money laundering, illegal lobbying, making false statement) Manafort also faces state charges in Virginia (bank fraud, filing false tax returns, etc.). And Trump can't pardon the state charges.

He is due in court on the state charges in July, and for the federal charges in September.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th June 2018, 10:45 AM   #218
Arcade22
Illuminator

Politico said Paul Manafort was not handcuffed while in the courtroom which seems like an odd thing to point out. Surely there would be no reason to do so unless the defendant was deemed likely to physically attack someone or something similar?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 10:48 AM   #219
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The other problem is that in addition to federal charges (money laundering, illegal lobbying, making false statement) Manafort also faces state charges in Virginia (bank fraud, filing false tax returns, etc.). And Trump can't pardon the state charges.

He is due in court on the state charges in July, and for the federal charges in September.
The Virginia charges are federal as well. I believe the prosecution gave Manafort the option to combine his trials and Manafort rejected the offer. Manafort had the right to have two trials because some of the alleged crimes occurred in different jurisdictions. It is curious that he would have selected the option to have two trials. I suppose he could have hoped for a more sympathetic ear in Virginia and for a bit it seemed like he might have found one. Alas no.

On the issue of Manafort flipping: Is there public information available right now that provides good evidence that Manafort has something on Trump to deal? Is it possible that Manfort's Russian/Ukranian connections are just a coincidence with regard to anything that Trump and his minions were up to? ETA: There is the Trump Tower meeting, but maybe he was just there to find out what the Russians had and he wasn't part of any effort to cooperate with the Russians and their efforts to get Trump elected?

Assuming Manafort doesn't have anything to trade on Trump all he has left is to make the best deal he can that wraps up all the various charges against him including some cooperation from the states that might charge him in a way that makes it so he has a shot of not dying in jail. He might also like to do something that stops the financial bleeding. At this point leaving his family a few bucks might be something he is thinking about.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 15th June 2018 at 10:56 AM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 10:53 AM   #220
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Manafort definitely thrown under the bus: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...79422865006593

Quote:
Wow, what a tough sentence for Paul Manafort, who has represented Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and many other top political people and campaigns. Didn’t know Manafort was the head of the Mob. What about Comey and Crooked Hillary and all of the others? Very unfair!
Old 15th June 2018, 11:09 AM   #221
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Manafort definitely thrown under the bus: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...79422865006593

Quote:
Wow, what a tough sentence for Paul Manafort, who has represented Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and many other top political people and campaigns. Didn’t know Manafort was the head of the Mob. What about Comey and Crooked Hillary and all of the others? Very unfair!

What "sentence"? I thought Manafort was still waiting for trial(s).

Does Trump know about some sooper seekrit convictions that haven't been made public yet?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 11:19 AM   #222
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Politico said Paul Manafort was not handcuffed while in the courtroom which seems like an odd thing to point out. Surely there would be no reason to do so unless the defendant was deemed likely to physically attack someone or something similar?
I've seen defendants handcuffed in court. But you're right. There is very little reason to cuff him
Old 15th June 2018, 11:21 AM   #223
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I've seen defendants handcuffed in court. But you're right. There is very little reason to cuff him
He's going to love the cavity search.
Old 15th June 2018, 11:21 AM   #224
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
That is quite typical.

After all, white collar criminals are usually treated far better than are the other types of criminals.

Old 15th June 2018, 11:41 AM   #225
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
On the issue of Manafort flipping: Is there public information available right now that provides good evidence that Manafort has something on Trump to deal? Is it possible that Manfort's Russian/Ukranian connections are just a coincidence with regard to anything that Trump and his minions were up to? ETA: There is the Trump Tower meeting, but maybe he was just there to find out what the Russians had and he wasn't part of any effort to cooperate with the Russians and their efforts to get Trump elected?
Apparently Manafort was involved in the watering down of the pro Ukraine language in the GOP platform, which he and Trump lied about. Why lie if it was innocent? It's possible that was part of a quid pro quo.
Old 15th June 2018, 12:02 PM   #226
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The other problem is that in addition to federal charges (money laundering, illegal lobbying, making false statement) Manafort also faces state charges in Virginia
The Virginia charges are federal as well.
I stand corrected.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th June 2018, 12:52 PM   #227
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Apparently Manafort was involved in the watering down of the pro Ukraine language in the GOP platform, which he and Trump lied about. Why lie if it was innocent? It's possible that was part of a quid pro quo.

A good point. Although it is not clear, short of evidence for an unambiguous quid pro quo, that this kind of thing can be prosecuted. Trump is engaging in behavior that seems wildly pro Putin right now. It may well be that Trump's Russian debts are a driver but if that is the case it would be very difficult to prove that Trump is acting illegally. Even if Trump is being controlled by Russian mob blackmail proving that might not be possible and Manafort may not have any direct knowledge of it if it is true and even if Manafort has direct knowledge of a quid pro quo it may not be useful to a prosecution without corroborating evidence.

I don't believe evidence made public up to now is sufficient to strongly support the notion that Trump is in trouble.

However the cumulative risk associated with the foundation charges, the Zervos defamation law suit, the Stormy Daniels's lawsuits. the Karen MacDougal lawsuit, Elliot Broidy entanglements, possible Trump/Cohen mob entanglements, possible Trump/Cohen foreign entanglements, emolument type lawsuits, possible Trump/Manafort cooperation on Russia, obstruction of justice charges and probably other stuff certainly makes it seem that Trump is in serious trouble some place right now.

Even the Fox News 24/7 Trump shilling has taken a break on occasion. Is that Fox hedging their bets? Maybe letting a little truth in boosts their credibility to the point that they have a wider audience?

One last thought: It would have been fun to watch Hannity's head explode if Obama had a tenth of stuff like this going on.

Last edited by davefoc; 15th June 2018 at 12:56 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 01:34 PM   #228
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Say, by the way, how is Mueller's case going against the "Russians"?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...sia-troll-case

D'OH!!!

I assume it never occurred to them that one of the defendants would appear and contest the charges, let alone mock them while doing so:

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-co...e-8-Filing.pdf

see footnote 5
Literally everything written above is wrong.

While I appreciate people taking an interest in the subject, one quickly realizes that perhaps this is the first time one has considered the issues? Mueller is acting like McCarthy

The defendants are entitled to the information Mueller has.

Mueller and his team do not want to give it to them.

Mueller and his team are way over their skis and are going to have make a hard decision to dismiss the indictment.
"So"..... oy vey.

No it shows that the indictments were a silly stunt and Mueller is going to end up with egg on his face when he finally dismisses the indictment against Concord.

Take a gander for a bit more flavor.

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2...e-delay-570627
Let's see if your crystal ball was correct:

Quote:
A U.S. District Court judge ruled on Friday that a Russian company charged with meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election is not entitled to review grand jury materials and gave the two sides 10 days to agree on rules for sharing evidence.

Friedrich ordered Mueller’s office and Concord to come up with an agreement by the end of Friday to begin the sharing of evidence - a process known as discovery - on less sensitive documents. The judge gave the two sides 10 days to hammer out a protective order governing all materials in discovery.

“We’ve got to get discovery going,” Friedrich said.
Linky.

Oh.
Old 15th June 2018, 01:39 PM   #229
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Let's see if your crystal ball was correct:

Linky.

Oh.
I did not mention anything about the grand jury stuff (hell, not sure if I even knew that they were asking for it)

On the protective order motion (which I did discuss) she did not grant Mueller's motion, in fact all she did was kick the can down the road.

Oh.
Old 15th June 2018, 02:08 PM   #230
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I did not mention anything about the grand jury stuff (hell, not sure if I even knew that they were asking for it)

On the protective order motion (which I did discuss) she did not grant Mueller's motion, in fact all she did was kick the can down the road.

Oh.
I notice you did not reply to my post showing that, in the request itself, the defendants were authorized, and that the disagreement with the defense was not arguing against the protective order itself, but about how to authorize others and the codefendants.

And now the judge is telling them to continue working on what you claim is McCarthyite denying of evidence. Checks out.
Old 15th June 2018, 02:26 PM   #231
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
I notice you did not reply to my post showing that, in the request itself, the defendants were authorized, and that the disagreement with the defense was not arguing against the protective order itself, but about how to authorize others and the codefendants.

And now the judge is telling them to continue working on what you claim is McCarthyite denying of evidence. Checks out.
Oh I didn't respond to the post? Well it was just copy pasta of arguments from Mueller's arguments and thus a waste of time. I posted the defendants response which nuked it from orbit, y'all get a chance to read that?

And yes, the judge did not grant Mueller's motion and just kicked the can down the road.
Old 15th June 2018, 02:57 PM   #232
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Paul Manafort will spend at least 4 months in jail as his trial doesn't start until September. He is presently facing 24 criminal charges that could easily mean that if found guilty he will never see the light of day again. It is also my understanding that the Feds actually have gone easy on Manafort and that many charges weren't made which may have been saved so they can be filed in State Court preventing Trump from pardoning his way out of trouble.
Old 15th June 2018, 03:59 PM   #233
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Wow, what a tough sentence for Paul Manafort, who has represented Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and many other top political people and campaigns. Didn’t know Manafort was the head of the Mob. What about Comey and Crooked Hillary and all of the others? Very unfair!"

He was not sentenced. The judge revoked his bail, sending him to jail before trial, because he allegedly committed more crimes while on house arrest.
Old 15th June 2018, 04:02 PM   #234
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump tweets

"FBI Agent Peter Strzok, who headed the Clinton & Russia investigations, texted to his lover Lisa Page, in the IG Report, that “we’ll stop” candidate Trump from becoming President. Doesn’t get any lower than that!"

"The IG Report is a total disaster for Comey, his minions and sadly, the FBI. Comey will now officially go down as the worst leader, by far, in the history of the FBI. I did a great service to the people in firing him. Good Instincts. Christopher Wray will bring it proudly back!"

"I’ve had to beat 17 very talented people including the Bush Dynasty, then I had to beat the Clinton Dynasty, and now I have to beat a phony Witch Hunt and all of the dishonest people covered in the IG Report...and never forget the Fake News Media. It never ends!"
Old 15th June 2018, 04:44 PM   #235
Lambchops
Thinker

The stupid... It burns!
Old 15th June 2018, 06:02 PM   #236
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Paul Manafort will spend at least 4 months in jail as his trial doesn't start until September. He is presently facing 24 criminal charges that could easily mean that if found guilty he will never see the light of day again. It is also my understanding that the Feds actually have gone easy on Manafort and that many charges weren't made which may have been saved so they can be filed in State Court preventing Trump from pardoning his way out of trouble.
The State of New York has a parallel investigation underway. This seems to be a bit tricky though. If Manafort was charged with some of the crimes where there is overlap between the feds and the state by the feds could the state bring charges if Manafort was pardoned? At some point I think jeopardy would attach and the proscription of double jeopardy might prevent prosecution by the state? Perhaps Mueller is specifically avoiding this by not charging some crimes that the state could charge. Could the feds, the state and Manafort agree to a deal where he avoided state prosecution unless he was pardoned?

ETA: Giuliani dangled the possibility of pardons today. If Trump did that he would be guilty of obstruction of justice by most people's standards, perhaps even Dershowitz's . But when his lawyer does it, it's OK? It may be a subject for another thread but is having a corrupt, stupid buffoon as your spokesman/fake attorney really a winning strategy for Trump?

One thing that seems likely, Trump may not be willing to pardon anybody before the midterm elections for political reasons and if the Democrats take control after the midterm elections they could make stuff really hard on Trump if he runs around pardoning people that might testify against him. A lot depends on the midterm elections. Right now the Republican Party is the Party of Trump and fealty is a requirement, but that could change if the Republicans do very poorly in the mid terms. I think they might do better than expected though, we'll see.

Last edited by davefoc; 15th June 2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 15th June 2018, 06:54 PM   #237
paulhutch
Master Poster

The State of New York has a parallel investigation underway. This seems to be a bit tricky though. If Manafort was charged with some of the crimes where there is overlap between the feds and the state by the feds could the state bring charges if Manafort was pardoned? At some point I think jeopardy would attach and the proscription of double jeopardy might prevent prosecution by the state?
With the usual caveat of IANAL.

AFAIK their is a total exemption to the double jeopardy ban of the 5th amendment for federal vs. state prosecution. Also I believe jeopardy does not apply after a pardon, only after an acquittal, conviction or mistrial.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 07:22 PM   #238
Stacko
Philosopher

Manafort seems very dedicated to committing crimes or desperate:

"...no conditions that would assure that the defendant will comply with the most fundamental condition of release under the Bail Reform Act: that he not commit a ... crime"
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2018, 11:49 PM   #239
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
ETA: Giuliani dangled the possibility of pardons today. If Trump did that he would be guilty of obstruction of justice by most people's standards, perhaps even Dershowitz's . But when his lawyer does it, it's OK? It may be a subject for another thread but is having a corrupt, stupid buffoon as your spokesman/fake attorney really a winning strategy for Trump?
The real strategy is to build a personality cult. After that, there are only winning strategies. I'm amazed at how many people are going along with this.
Old 16th June 2018, 12:04 AM   #240
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Oh I didn't respond to the post? Well it was just copy pasta of arguments from Mueller's arguments and thus a waste of time.
Amazing.

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 16th June 2018 at 12:05 AM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics