ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , border issues , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 18th June 2018, 02:58 PM   #1
sylvan8798
Master Poster

Trump immigrant family separation policy

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger
Do we have a taking babies away thread? This needs a thread.
I'll just leave this here for starters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ObMpGWm18

Ann Coulter: They're child actors.

Me: You're Satan.

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 03:07 PM   #2
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 19th June 2018 at 02:49 AM.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 03:12 PM   #3
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The article she was referring to

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Mumbles
Philosopher

No shock there - Coulter was an early proponent of the nazi fetishism that currently runs the GOP.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Cain
Straussian

****in' illegal alien child actors are taking jobs away from real Americans. Being a child actors is one of the few ways children are employed, but the left will turn a blind eye.
Old 18th June 2018, 03:49 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Thanks Sylvan.

Clinton responded to Trump claiming Germany was a mess because of immigrants and gave some stats (all crime) in a speech about crime in Germany being down, Fox says she's wrong using different stats (violent crimes and a different time period) to contradict her.

I wish there was some fact checking handy, I'm tired at the moment.
Old 18th June 2018, 03:54 PM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The baby crying audio is getting a lot of news coverage, good.

The latest GOP talking point: none of the immigrants show up for their hearings if they get released after being processed.

No wonder, when people are instantly deported by ICE when they check in like they are supposed to.
Old 18th June 2018, 04:01 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Moral of the story: Don't try to smuggle your family across the border.

You know what families don't get separated? The ones immigrating legally.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 04:05 PM   #9
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

That's factually incorrect. Those people seeking legit asylum are getting separated, too. Regardless, its am inhumane practice. period.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 04:05 PM   #10
Mumbles
Philosopher

Let me add: I see that Joe Pollack, who is still at the white nationalist site Breitbart.com, is also justifying it, and saying that the kids aren't being held in cages (they are).

Wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if the white power Trio on Fox News (Hannity, Inghram, and Carlson) did so as well.

From Zora Neale Hurston: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time"

And I'll add the old African-American proverb: "We told y'all." This is what I expected to see, and why I joined both the ACLU and the NAACP the day after Dolt 45 was elected. He ran on white supremacism, so no shock that he's governing based on it as well.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 04:07 PM   #11
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
That's factually incorrect. Those people seeking legit asylum are getting separated, too. Regardless, its am inhumane practice. period.
THey're being told to apply at ports of entry - except those have all been closed to asylum seekers. No different than "You just need to go down to the DMV to get a voter ID - also, we're closing all DMV offices in every majority black or Hispanic area in the state."
Old 18th June 2018, 04:13 PM   #12
Tero
Graduate Poster

White House says they have to arrest all illegal immigrants and put them in jail. Would it not be better for them to deport them immediately than keep them here? It does not get rid of them to jail them.
:funny:
That was their reason for separating the kids, who are not criminals.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 04:13 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

GOP pundit on CNN: "The Democrats want this, it's a voting issue."

Ummm, if that's the case why doesn't Trump end it?

The woman's losing her temper, "Trump ran on securing the boarder." The truth comes out.

Ahhhhhh!

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th June 2018 at 04:14 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 04:14 PM   #14
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

It's their fault we're separating them?
Old 18th June 2018, 04:14 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
THey're being told to apply at ports of entry - except those have all been closed to asylum seekers. No different than "You just need to go down to the DMV to get a voter ID - also, we're closing all DMV offices in every majority black or Hispanic area in the state."
Good thing no nation owes foreigners a port of entry.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 04:15 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"legit asylum" begs the question.
Old 18th June 2018, 04:17 PM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
It's their fault we're separating them?
Of course, according to the pundit on CNN: these are horrible parents because they send the kids off on their own (the other kids that arrived alone). This lady has no clue that everyone doesn't have her white-ass life.
Old 18th June 2018, 04:19 PM   #18
NoahFence
Banned

"legit asylum" begs the question.
Get a *********** ladder and take down the Statue of liberty.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 04:38 PM   #19
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's always interesting to see who is willing to justify child abuse.

Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that it is all the parent's fault and no blame can possibly be assigned to Trump or anybody else American or working in any position of power. Does that actually justify separating the children from their parents? Does it mitigate the irreparable harm that is being done to the children? Are the children themselves culpable for any crime?

Or should the USA be better than that? Should it find ways to deal with the problem without abusing children? Even assuming that it's 100% the parent's fault, that doesn't mean that this policy isn't also wrong on America's side. If I tell you that I'm going to punch your baby in the face if you steal £1,000 from my bank account, then am I justified in actually carrying out that threat if you do so? Or is it possible for both the theft and the baby-punching to be wrong?

And, I suppose, the further question is - has this policy actually created a better situation than the one before it was implemented in May? Is anybody better off because of this? Is America better? Safer? Better off financially? Are there fewer immigrants? Bear in mind before answering that Sessions explicitly said that the purpose of this policy was to act as a deterrent. Is that a good enough reason for child abuse?
Old 18th June 2018, 04:38 PM   #20
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
White House says they have to arrest all illegal immigrants and put them in jail. Would it not be better for them to deport them immediately than keep them here? It does not get rid of them to jail them.
Before the new procedure mandated by the Trump administration it made sense to hold them here. The old procedure was keep the whole family together in a detention facility until they can see a judge. If the judge decides they have a valid asylum claim they get to stay here legally. If no asylum is granted then the whole family is deported together.

Now with this new procedure the more humane process would be to just keep them together and deport them ASAP. Instead we now inflict a ridiculous amount of emotional abuse on the parents and children by separating them, holding them longer, then deporting the parents and children separately. I don't think the Trump administration could have devised a more cruel but legal way to handle a terrible situation.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 04:42 PM   #21
gregthehammer
Muse

In an ideal world, yes, all imigration would be legal. However, we have to deal with the messy reality that families are crossing our borders illegally. So what do we do? I'd prefer to show a bit of compassion, and at least keep these family units together, regardless if they are ultimately sent back or are allowed to stay. To separate these kids from their parents strikes me as sadistic.
gregthehammer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 05:04 PM   #22
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

10k out of the 12k children in detention came here with unrelated adults (so 5 out 6 come with human traffickers)

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 05:08 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Get a *********** ladder and take down the Statue of liberty.
The statue of liberty is no more binding than the pledge of allegiance. Try again.
Old 18th June 2018, 05:09 PM   #24
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
10k out of the 12k children in detention came here with unrelated adults (so 5 out 6 come with human traffickers)
Do you have a citation unrelated to Trump?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 05:10 PM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
It's always interesting to see who is willing to justify child abuse.
First and foremost, the parents who committed themselves and their children to this process.
Old 18th June 2018, 05:12 PM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
In an ideal world, yes, all imigration would be legal. However, we have to deal with the messy reality that families are crossing our borders illegally. So what do we do? I'd prefer to show a bit of compassion, and at least keep these family units together, regardless if they are ultimately sent back or are allowed to stay. To separate these kids from their parents strikes me as sadistic.
Why? Social Services separates children from their parents for lesser crimes all the time.
Old 18th June 2018, 05:14 PM   #27
Tero
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
Before the new procedure mandated by the Trump administration it made sense to hold them here. The old procedure was keep the whole family together in a detention facility until they can see a judge. If the judge decides they have a valid asylum claim they get to stay here legally. If no asylum is granted then the whole family is deported together.

Now with this new procedure the more humane process would be to just keep them together and deport them ASAP. Instead we now inflict a ridiculous amount of emotional abuse on the parents and children by separating them, holding them longer, then deporting the parents and children separately. I don't think the Trump administration could have devised a more cruel but legal way to handle a terrible situation.
Yes, a surprise. The immediate deportation is the more humane solution.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 05:15 PM   #28
Fudbucker
Philosopher

First and foremost, the parents who committed themselves and their children to this process.
What if we cut off some of these kids' fingers? Just take the pinkies. I bet that would be a deterrent to ever coming here again. And we can blame the parents who "committed "themselves and their children to this process."
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 05:18 PM   #29
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Nice view from the cheap seats. Do you ever think about why your produce is so cheap and what that human cost is? We speak out of two sides of our mouth when we deal with undocumented migrants. We turn the SLB into a demon's obstacle course for immigrants whose reward for passing it is to pick your table grapes the radishes you put in your salad.

How about you run along and get a few more caches in your passport before you whine about immigrants. Your uniformed white privilege perspective doesn't give you a whole lot of authority here.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 05:18 PM   #30
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Ah, the old two wrongs make it right argument.

How quaint.
Old 18th June 2018, 05:20 PM   #31
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why? Social Services separates children from their parents for lesser crimes all the time.
How are the parents a flight risk if they are released to the custody DHS who has facilities to house families in pre-hearing detention?
Old 18th June 2018, 05:26 PM   #32
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

They should abandon their children when desperate enough to seek a better life?
Old 18th June 2018, 05:32 PM   #33
gregthehammer
Muse

Why would i prefer to show compassion? Cause im a compasssionate guy? Or are you asking me why i think its sadistic? That would be because we were able to keep these families together previous, so what good reason is there for this seperation now, unless the intent is to spite these immigrants.
All for what, trespassing? Thats the only real crime being comitted.
gregthehammer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 05:33 PM   #34
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Leaving aside the fact that you totally ignored all the rest of my post, can you honestly not envision a situation where a parent is stuck between making two choices for their child where both will be traumatic? Does the fact that the abuse that America is inflicting on these children may be better than the conditions where they come from make it okay?

I'll ask again - who actually benefits from this policy? What is the up side?
Old 18th June 2018, 05:34 PM   #35
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seth Abramson thread analysing the policy from a legal perspective
Old 18th June 2018, 05:35 PM   #36
Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
They should abandon their children when desperate enough to seek a better life?
If you are not ready to throw your children to the wolves to save yourself, are you really that desperate?

Seriously though, concentration camps for kids? I don't give a **** what the law says or how we got here, if you are building tent cities in the desert to put children in, you have gone horribly wrong somewhere in your life and need to back the **** up...
Old 18th June 2018, 05:42 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Do you have a citation unrelated to Trump?
It's from the Secretary of Homeland Security (a department name that has always made me want to puke, by the way) twisting the facts by including all of those before the recent crackdown.
So no, not unrelated to Trump.
Old 18th June 2018, 05:43 PM   #38
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
What immigration experience does the author have that causes you to recommend his threaded tweets?

-M. Avenatti
Old 18th June 2018, 05:46 PM   #39
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's from the Secretary of Homeland Security (a department name that has always made me want to puke, by the way) twisting the facts by including all of those before the recent crackdown.
Let me guess.... because there wasn't a family separation policy before,the only detained children would have been the ones entering without parents? And that if significantly more parents and children entered at the time, the children would never have been detained and counted in that number?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 05:47 PM   #40
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'll have to check the source again, but I read one article (from CNN I believe) where the interviewed individual statd that as soon as they are separated from their parent(s), they are reclassified as "Unacompanied children".
Self-eating watermelon, indeed
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics