ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , border issues , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 19th June 2018, 08:04 AM   #121
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Why should the Democrats be his water carriers ?
Exactly. What congressional Democrats could do is to draft a law granting blanket asylum to everyone detained in a Trump concentration camp.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:05 AM   #122
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Could congress fix this by drafting legislation that specifically forbids the separation of families? Like a line inserted into the law that makes border crossing a crime? If so, I'd like to see the Democrats draft such a bill in response to Trump's BS buck-passing to them.
They already have (a little over half way down the article). As of four days ago, they seem to be having trouble getting Republicans to sign on.
Old 19th June 2018, 08:11 AM   #123
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
So let me see, the Republican defences of this policy so far are:
  • It's a law put in place by the Democrats and they are powerless to do things any differently
  • It can only be repealed by an act of Congress and the Democrats are blocking any such move
  • It's the parents' fault, not the administration's
  • They are morally obliged to do things this way because the Bible says so
  • The camps are fine because, even though the children are being put in cages, they're not literally being treated like animals, so the word "cages" shouldn't be used
  • The camps are fine because any children seeming upset are just actors who have been coached and given scripts by Democrats
  • The camps are fine because it's just like being at summer camp
  • There actually is no policy that separates children from their parents

Did I miss any?
[*] There are no such camps, you liberals are making this all up.

Yes, I am seeing that being said.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:12 AM   #124
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
They should be allowed to keep the family together, and if it is decided that they are to be deported, they should be deported as a family.

It's not rocket science. All that's needed is a teensy bit of empathy, which is why it seems like rocket science to conservatives.
The really unresolvable divide in this country is between people who have empathy for the plight of others and those who don't. Look into just about any "liberal vs. conservative" issue, and that's what you'll find.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:12 AM   #125
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
They already have (a little over half way down the article). As of four days ago, they seem to be having trouble getting Republicans to sign on.
In fact, every Democrat has signed on. No Republicans have.
Old 19th June 2018, 08:15 AM   #126
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
In fact, every Democrat has signed on. No Republicans have.
Has any come out with exactly what they disagree with in regards to the Keep Families Together Act? Having trouble finding any specifics from any specific Senators.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:17 AM   #127
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Has any come out with exactly what they disagree with in regards to the Keep Families Together Act? Having trouble finding any specifics from any specific Senators.
No senate Republican in his/her right mind would sign up to a Democratic Party bill (and I suspect vice-versa). Even if all Republicans agreed, they'd draft their own bill.

Last edited by The Don; 19th June 2018 at 08:27 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:20 AM   #128
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

In light of the documented history of human traffickers during the Obama era, the concern is that criminal elements will use children who are not their own to get into the country.

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:20 AM   #129
Worm
Master Poster

"@SenatorCollins says she doesn't support legislative efforts to stop family separation because she thinks the bills on offer are "far too broad." Adds that she supports building the wall as part of a comprehensive solution."
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1008363367927549953

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:20 AM   #130
rdwight
Critical Thinker

No senate Republican in his/er right mind would sign up to a Democratic Party bill (and I suspect vice-versa). Even if all Republicans agreed, they'd draft their own bill.
Seems to be what Ted Cruz is doing. And I don't hate his bill either. But i would like to know any specifics of what issues conservatives have with the bill put forward currently. Again you point out the ******** optics these politicians play, looking to place blame, get credit and avoid solving an issue unless their side 'wins'.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:24 AM   #131
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

No senate Republican in his/er right mind would sign up to a Democratic Party bill (and I suspect vice-versa). Even if all Republicans agreed, they'd draft their own bill.
And there's no point in passing either bill unless they're veto-proof. The Deal Artist is holding the children hostage to get money to build his legacy: the world's biggest and most terrific monument to bigotry and stupidity. I dearly hope that if he succeeds, he puts TRUMP in 20-foot letters on it.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:24 AM   #132
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Seems to be what Ted Cruz is doing. And I don't hate his bill either. But i would like to know any specifics of what issues conservatives have with the bill put forward currently. Again you point out the ******** optics these politicians play, looking to place blame, get credit and avoid solving an issue unless their side 'wins'.
https://twitter.com/TomCottonAR/stat...85028226265088

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:24 AM   #133
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The only one I've heard even commented was the notorious RINO, Collins (ME). She, too is laying low, saying the bill is too broad and that she prefers a previous nearly bipartisan effort that Trump has refused to back because it didn't give him enough ransom for his wall.

As of this writing the bill now has 49 co-sponsors. Every Democratic Senator has signed on as co-sponsor. Not a single Republican.

A thousand points of light, my ass. I just need to see two of them. Two Republican Senators with balls.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:25 AM   #134
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
In light of the documented history of human traffickers during the Obama era, the concern is that criminal elements will use children who are not their own to get into the country.
I've seen that mentioned but I don't really see anything in the bill that would harm that. It is literally an option within the bill to address that.

Quote:
(3) The Chief Patrol Agent or the Area Port Director in their official and undelegated capacity, authorizes separation upon the recommendation by an agent or officer, based on a finding that—
(A) the child is a victim of trafficking or is at significant risk of becoming a victim of trafficking;
(B) there is a strong likelihood that the adult is not the parent or legal guardian of the child; or
(C) the child is in danger of abuse or neglect at the hands of the parent or legal guardian, or is a danger to themselves or others.
Edit to add - If anyone wants to see the bill proposed Keeping Families Together Act

Last edited by rdwight; 19th June 2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 19th June 2018, 08:37 AM   #135
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Why should the Democrats be his water carriers ?
Because it's the right thing to do?

Won't happen, because they haven't the numbers, but it's worth a try.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:42 AM   #136
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
This is more of the stuff I hate. It's a talking point. Show me the meat of it. Point to provisions you disagree with and how they relate to that (him. not you). And then use this thing called conversation to have any provisions you disagree with changed. If some obvious loophole is there that you need plugged to protect children, say it. Point it out. Let the democrats know they have your vote if x,y,z is fixed. Otherwise it's simply 'democrat bill, no go' to me.
Old 19th June 2018, 08:54 AM   #137
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Am I wrong or do families that come to the border to seek asylum not get separated but those got caught coming across the border do?
This was always a specific policy about asylum seekers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...rs-feb-n884371

Here are asylum seekers separated.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/03/07/...g-immigration/

So that is perfectly accurate.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:55 AM   #138
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
They should be allowed to keep the family together, and if it is decided that they are to be deported, they should be deported as a family.

It's not rocket science. All that's needed is a teensy bit of empathy, which is why it seems like rocket science to conservatives.
If it can be done logistically that is a much better option in my opinion.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:59 AM   #139
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

You think it's because of logistics that families are separated?

Or that logistics should be the reason for keeping families together?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 09:00 AM   #140
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Party of "family values" my ass. They only want families that are White, Christian (and not just any flavor of Christian), not LGBT, etc.
Old 19th June 2018, 09:01 AM   #141
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But that has no deterance effect to make sure that people from ******** countries know better than to seek asylum here.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 09:04 AM   #142
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
"@SenatorCollins says she doesn't support legislative efforts to stop family separation because she thinks the bills on offer are "far too broad." Adds that she supports building the wall as part of a comprehensive solution."
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1008363367927549953
That's very surprising to me.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 09:22 AM   #143
logger
Banned

DHS secretary said 10,000 out of 12,000 came here alone or with strangers.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 10:07 AM   #144
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Democrats should start a bill that will put all children of illegal immigrants in the foster care of gay couples.
That should get Republicans to come around.
Old 19th June 2018, 10:25 AM   #145
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That's very surprising to me.
Itís not surprising. Sheís spineless. Sheís also lying; the Democrat-sponsored bill is very narrowly focused on stopping Trumpís policy of taking children away from their families.

Anyone who supports this monstrous policy and still claims to be about ďfamily valuesĒ is a hypocrite of the first order.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 10:30 AM   #146
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Itís not surprising. Sheís spineless. Sheís also lying; the Democrat-sponsored bill is very narrowly focused on stopping Trumpís policy of taking children away from their families.

Anyone who supports this monstrous policy and still claims to be about ďfamily valuesĒ is a hypocrite of the first order.
Only real families of course. Proper white christian heterosexual ones.
Old 19th June 2018, 11:21 AM   #147
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
DHS secretary said 10,000 out of 12,000 came here alone or with strangers.
83% of children came to America alone or with strangers? Do you actually believe that, or is it obvious even to you that those numbers are beyond implausible?

There is simply no limit to the lies this administration will tell in the pursuit of pure evil.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 11:34 AM   #148
sylvan8798
Master Poster

There are reports that some parents are being returned to their origin countries WITHOUT their children. Why would we want to keep these children? Isn't the point to get rid of these "undesirables"? One of the common arguments against the illegal immigrants is that they are using our taxpayer-funded resources - schools, medical care, etc. What are these kids doing RIGHT NOW? How much resources is going into imprisoning them in compounds hither and yon?

And where are the girls and babies? #WhereAreTheGirls

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 11:36 AM   #149
Fudbucker
Philosopher

"We finally have a decent number of polls testing support for the Trump administrationís policy of separating parents from their children at the border. As of early Tuesday, four pollsters ó CBS News, CNN, Quinnipiac and IPSOS ó had released surveys; they found that about two-thirds of the American public oppose the policy, on average."
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...lly-unpopular/

About half of Republicans support it.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 11:37 AM   #150
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
There are reports that some parents are being returned to their origin countries WITHOUT their children. Why would we want to keep these children?
There are two possibilities:
  1. The Trump administration is planning something nefarious.
  2. The bureaucracy around this is so poorly thought out that they simply don't have a way to reunite the families before the parents get deported.

I'm inclined to think the latter, but I honestly can't discount the possibility of the former.
Old 19th June 2018, 11:39 AM   #151
Fudbucker
Philosopher

2. The bureaucracy around this is so poorly thought out that they simply don't have a way to reunite the families before the parents get deported.

I'm inclined to think the latter, but I honestly can't discount the possibility of the former.
Soylent Brown?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 11:40 AM   #152
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Am I wrong or do families that come to the border to seek asylum not get separated but those got caught coming across the border do?
It's a catch 22. The ones that try to come through a port of entry and request asylum cannot get in. Often they are prevented from reaching US territory and those that do get that far are told to wait, then are never let in to be processed.

BTW, how come all these people are getting caught once they come in illegally? Could it be no wall is going to stop them?
Old 19th June 2018, 11:42 AM   #153
xjx388
Philosopher

Or: Those reports are unsubstantiated and itís not actually happening. Not saying it couldnít but I donít think we need to introduce stuff that may be an exaggeration or false. That iconic-but-misrepresented photo of the kid crying through the bars of a cage didnít help anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19th June 2018, 11:43 AM   #154
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Soylent Brown?
Hostages for the border wall money, either from Mexico or Democrats? *shrug*
Old 19th June 2018, 11:46 AM   #155
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Or: Those reports are unsubstantiated and it’s not actually happening. Not saying it couldn’t but I don’t think we need to introduce stuff that may be an exaggeration or false. That iconic-but-misrepresented photo of the kid crying through the bars of a cage didn’t help anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about the accurate photos of the kids huddling under foil blankets in a former walmart with chain link fences separating them into pens?

https://www.thecut.com/2018/06/insid...eparation.html

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/19/62106...-at-the-border

But never let real facts get in the way, only facts that have the Trump seal from the Trump Ministry Of Truth.

It is like the photos of the prison bus full of infant car seats. The dispute isn't over if the photo is real, but if you can call it a prison buss when it is going to a concentration camp/detention center not a formal prison.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pr...us-for-babies/

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 19th June 2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 19th June 2018, 11:49 AM   #156
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Hostages for the border wall money, either from Mexico or Democrats? *shrug*
That was probably the original plan.
Old 19th June 2018, 11:51 AM   #157
Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's a catch 22. The ones that try to come through a port of entry and request asylum cannot get in. Often they are prevented from reaching US territory and those that do get that far are told to wait, then are never let in to be processed.

BTW, how come all these people are getting caught once they come in illegally? Could it be no wall is going to stop them?
Many of them are not really being "caught". They get to the border, try to get in and apply for asylum in the legal way, find that the offices are full or closed, cross the border illegally, then immediately go looking for a CPB officer to turn themselves in to and try to apply for asylum that way...
Old 19th June 2018, 11:51 AM   #158
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Or: Those reports are unsubstantiated and itís not actually happening. Not saying it couldnít but I donít think we need to introduce stuff that may be an exaggeration or false. That iconic-but-misrepresented photo of the kid crying through the bars of a cage didnít help anything.
Well, we can cross that off the list of possibilities.

Immigrant families separated at border struggle to find each other
In Trumpís efficient U.S. family separation system, reunions take far longer
Old 19th June 2018, 11:55 AM   #159
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Many of them are not really being "caught". They get to the border, try to get in and apply for asylum in the legal way, find that the offices are full or closed, cross the border illegally, then immediately go looking for a CPB officer to turn themselves in to and try to apply for asylum that way...
That is what they get for thinking america has any mercy for them. They need to be punished for that.
Old 19th June 2018, 11:56 AM   #160
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Part of maturity is accepting that the world will throw inequities at you. But empathy and understanding is supposed to lead us to greater discipline and humanity. Yes, doing the right thing is not a deterrent. The solution isn't to do the wrong thing like what is threatening you.

There was a time in my life where I thought the solution was to be hard. That solving my problems was to strip myself of my empathy and inhibition. I was teenager. To see that thinking in adults and elders is pitiful.
I have often disagreed with you on things, often quite vigorously, but not this time. Well put. In fact, I think perhaps I'll nominate it.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics