ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 25th June 2018, 07:09 AM   #41
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-bid...-brexit-2017-2

Did the EU ever agree that the UK was entitled to a share of the assets it has paid towards over its years of membership? The assets include buildings, but also wine, fine art, and financial investments. Last I heard was that the EU was still insisting that all liabilities belonged to member countries (and former member countries) but that all assets belonged to the EU itself.
Oh, wow! A potential kickback of €20 billion against €61 billion divorce bill. That won't go far in the grand scheme of things.

And, to return to the usual golf club analogy, ex-members don't get to demand a refund on past dues, even if they partly paid for an extension of the club house.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 07:46 AM   #42
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Oh, wow! A potential kickback of €20 billion against €61 billion divorce bill. That won't go far in the grand scheme of things.

And, to return to the usual golf club analogy, ex-members don't get to demand a refund on past dues, even if they partly paid for an extension of the club house.
I understand our crack team of negotiators in the simplest negotiation of all time have agreed a net figure so it does or doesn't include wine lakes but whatever. That is the final amount (or the final formula anyway).

I suspect they just looked at future liabilities both sides had already signed up to as opposed to unwinding the past* on both sides.

*One thing I notice on my EU travels is that the EU flag is often seen on the continent. All funded projects have a "funded by the EU" sign. We so rarely see that in the UK, it came as a shock when I took a detour off my usual route and spotted one near my office. It is the only one I recall ever seeing in the North East despite the fact that the European Structural Investment Fund alone sponsors projects in the areas to the tune of £73m a year. I dare say we receive other EU monies on top of that but there is so rarely a public acknowledgement. Probably contributed to the vote when people don't see the money is being spent on them.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 07:56 AM   #43
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post

Yeah !

For all I know, the locker that I bought and paid for in full (the changing room was being extended into what used to be the trolley storage and members were asked to buy a locker, which would exempt them from the annual locker fee) a mere mumbletymumble years ago is likely being used by someone else now just because I haven't been a member for more than 25 years

Harrumph !

I demand immediate delivery of said knackered old locker immediately !

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I understand our crack team of negotiators in the simplest negotiation of all time have agreed a net figure so it does or doesn't include wine lakes but whatever. That is the final amount (or the final formula anyway).

I suspect they just looked at future liabilities both sides had already signed up to as opposed to unwinding the past* on both sides.

*One thing I notice on my EU travels is that the EU flag is often seen on the continent. All funded projects have a "funded by the EU" sign. We so rarely see that in the UK, it came as a shock when I took a detour off my usual route and spotted one near my office. It is the only one I recall ever seeing in the North East despite the fact that the European Structural Investment Fund alone sponsors projects in the areas to the tune of £73m a year. I dare say we receive other EU monies on top of that but there is so rarely a public acknowledgement. Probably contributed to the vote when people don't see the money is being spent on them.
I've seen a few here in Wales but IMO opinion it goes back to government of whatever hue going back 30+ years blaming the EU for any unpopular policies (whether or not the EU was a factor at all) and taking full credit for anything popular that comes out of the EU.

If it's a popular local scheme then the local politicians want to take full credit, if it's a bit of a boondoggle then blame Brussels (except in Wales, NI and Scotland where Westminster is blamed who then blame the EU).
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 10:59 AM   #44
Aber
Graduate Poster

I dare say we receive other EU monies on top of that but there is so rarely a public acknowledgement.
EU grant funding requires recipients to acknowledge the source of funds on almost everything public, and that is checked during grant audits.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 11:20 AM   #45
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

Brexiteers actually manage to organise something. Granted, it was a massive run on the pound that lined their own pockets...

Radio clip

The Brexit Short: How Hedge Funds Used Private Polls to Make Millions
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 12:08 PM   #46
ceptimus
puzzler

When are we going to get clear of this stupid club analogy? Ex members of a golf club are not expected to pay any money to the club.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 12:20 PM   #47
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

No, but, as mentioned, they are expected to pay any outstanding bills and they are not allowed to keep using only the bits they like for less money.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 12:27 PM   #48
Lothian
should be banned

When are we going to get clear of this stupid club analogy? Ex members of a golf club are not expected to pay any money to the club.
If you sign up for a years membership and choose to pay monthly you still need to pay for the rest of the year even if you resign.

We signed up for a 6 year funding cycle to 2020.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 12:34 PM   #49
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Remember that Airbus is about 25% state owned by Germany, France, and Spain - so when Airbus is trying to influence Brexit that influence is partly coming from foreign EU states.
Any evidence of such influence?
Old 25th June 2018, 12:50 PM   #50
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Any evidence of such influence?
Evidence to support claims, how deliciously last century
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 02:30 PM   #51
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I've seen a lot of them around Manchester - and also when visiting my Brother in Wales, as well as in the West Coast of Scotland
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 02:53 PM   #52
dudalb
Suspended

Tariffs are nearly always import tariffs charged by the importing states - so if the EU imposes a tariff on goods it imports from the UK, that, by itself, doesn't cost UK companies anything. Of course, it would be likely to have an impact on their export volumes as some of their former EU customers would choose to swap to buying things from other sources rather than pay the increased prices because of the tariffs.

If the UK retaliates by also charging import tariffs then that means that UK customers and companies have to pay more money for any goods coming from the EU. That extra money flows to HMRC (UK government) who could then choose to spend it on subsidies somewhat negating the extra costs, though in reality they would be more likely to spend it on the usual government spending departments - defence or similar - or use it to reduce taxes below what they otherwise might be.
Tariff wars are so easy to win....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 01:42 AM   #53
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Some may think that this is a bit of a stretch to include in a Brexit thread, but I think it directly relates:

Quote:
The UK will have to significantly increase defence spending if it is to maintain influence with Washington and Nato allies, MPs have warned.

A Commons Defence Committee report says the defence budget should rise from 2% of GDP (£40bn) to 3% (£60bn).

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has reportedly demanded an extra £20bn for his department.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44609494

It looks like there's an expectation that there's a magic money tree. IMO we're having to buy influence with the US and NATO allies because we'll no longer have the benefit of being part of the EU and hence benefit from their political, economic and diplomatic clout.

The extra £20bn a year sounds like an awful lot more than the EU contributions and it also sounds to me like we're proposing to engage in rearming. Someone in another thread (I'm sorry I forget which though it was likely in US Politics) pointed out that if you're spending all of this money on the military - it's a shame if all the kit just sits around gathering dust. I think increased military spending inevitably results in increased military adventures.

I'm also worried about phrases like.....

Quote:
The report recommends increasing the defence budget to 3% of GDP but says a rise to 2.5% would "comfortably fill the 'black hole' in the existing MoD budget".

It argued that without such investment the UK armed forces' usefulness to the US would be diminished.
I thought that the UK armed forces were for our benefit, not to be useful to the US and certainly not when the US seems to be having a bit of a democratic shortage at the moment.

IMO "austerity" was one of the drivers of discontent behind some people's Leave vote. Immigrants were being blamed for cuts to local services, shortages in the NHS and so on, when in fact it was down to the government's austerity programme (which was poorly handled because of all the grief it caused and yet didn't manage to be austere).

As soon as the Leave vote came in, the purse strings have been loosened like crazy and tens of billions have been found down the back of the national sofa. I find tales of "a gift of billions to the NHS" particularly hard to swallow when:
  • This government's policy of austerity was repsonsible for the shortages
  • This government's approach to Brexit is exacerbating the NHS's staffing issues
  • The "gift" is going to come from raising taxation levels
  • Raising taxation levels to better fund the NHS was pooh-poohed by the Conservatives when the Labour party and LibDems proposed in the last election

I still contend that my post that has enraged MikeG so much that he put it in his signature is gradually coming about...
Old 26th June 2018, 02:59 AM   #54
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

More Brexit good news:

Quote:
Investment in Britain's car industry has fallen by half, according to figures from the motoring sector.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT) said that Brexit uncertainty was "thwarting" decisions by major car companies to put more money into UK factories.

In the first six months of 2017, investment in new models and factory improvements stood at £647.4m.

This year, the figure had fallen to £347.3m for the same period.

The SMMT said this was lowest figure since the financial crisis.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44609003

No doubt the magic money tree will plug the gap
Old 26th June 2018, 03:00 AM   #55
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

We need to rearm. Challenger two is worn out, there are plans fora major interim refurb while a replacement is developed.
Warriors are worn out they need a replacement as do the CVRT family (Scimitar and such, they have been on the go since the 70s)

This is partly covered by the introduction of the 'Boxer' family but that won't include the new tanks and Infantry Fighting Vehicles.

Another cost is the re-engineering of the type 45 destroyers, They need all new generating plant to fix the problems they have had with power losses, that involves cutting holes in the hull side and replacing the whole generator plant. These problems were known about when they were taken in to service from BAE and various fixes have been tried without success. When systems are stressed in combat exercises the ships completely lose power and they are dead in the water while things are restarted.
It has been identified as inadequate generating capacity and faults in the switching.

There are also big problems with the latest frigate. It has been signed off but has bad workmanship faults that need to be corrected. Contractors have skimped on a lot of the electrical fittings and one of the boat cranes had been secured with some of the bolts broken and their heads glued in to place to look finished. Also welding cracks in some of the hull plating.
It has gone back to BAE fore corrective work.

It all costs money. There are big voices demanding that work on future ships is taken from the Clyde and brought back to Portsmouth.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 03:16 AM   #56
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
We need to rearm. Challenger two is worn out, there are plans fora major interim refurb while a replacement is developed.
Warriors are worn out they need a replacement as do the CVRT family (Scimitar and such, they have been on the go since the 70s)

This is partly covered by the introduction of the 'Boxer' family but that won't include the new tanks and Infantry Fighting Vehicles.

Another cost is the re-engineering of the type 45 destroyers, They need all new generating plant to fix the problems they have had with power losses, that involves cutting holes in the hull side and replacing the whole generator plant. These problems were known about when they were taken in to service from BAE and various fixes have been tried without success. When systems are stressed in combat exercises the ships completely lose power and they are dead in the water while things are restarted.
It has been identified as inadequate generating capacity and faults in the switching.

There are also big problems with the latest frigate. It has been signed off but has bad workmanship faults that need to be corrected. Contractors have skimped on a lot of the electrical fittings and one of the boat cranes had been secured with some of the bolts broken and their heads glued in to place to look finished. Also welding cracks in some of the hull plating.
It has gone back to BAE fore corrective work.

It all costs money. There are big voices demanding that work on future ships is taken from the Clyde and brought back to Portsmouth.
Does more money fix all of this. Were the issues with the type 45 destroyers caused by penny pinching in the design stage or was this an engineering issue ?

Does a 50% increase in expenditure in GDP terms (higher in absolute terms) result in equipment which is better suited for use or does it instead result in even more elaborate and innovative weapons systems with the predicable cost overruns and shakedown issues ?
Old 26th June 2018, 03:20 AM   #57
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Ferrovial are moving out of the UK - blaming Brexit.....

Quote:
Ferrovial, the Spanish manager of Heathrow airport, has said that it will be moving its international holding company out of Britain because of Brexit.

The move will keep the business under European Union legislation after the United Kingdom leaves the bloc, a spokesman for the firm said.
I have not linked to the story as it's in the BBC Live news feed....
Old 26th June 2018, 05:24 AM   #58
Information Analyst
Philosopher

One thing I notice on my EU travels is that the EU flag is often seen on the continent. All funded projects have a "funded by the EU" sign. We so rarely see that in the UK, it came as a shock when I took a detour off my usual route and spotted one near my office. It is the only one I recall ever seeing in the North East despite the fact that the European Structural Investment Fund alone sponsors projects in the areas to the tune of £73m a year. I dare say we receive other EU monies on top of that but there is so rarely a public acknowledgement. Probably contributed to the vote when people don't see the money is being spent on them.
That exactly mirrors my experience. We know the EU funds or co-funds various infrastructure and other projects in the UK, yet there seems to be a remarkable reluctance to publicly acknowledge their involvement in the way that is often visible in other EU countries.

Somewhat ironically, I recently had to point out to a pro-Leave poster on Quora,who thought that Brexit was a perfect impetus for the government to invest in supporting new and innovative businesses, that only last November the EU had invested £6m for precisely that purpose in the very Brexit-voting area they lived.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 05:27 AM   #59
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you?
Old 26th June 2018, 08:04 AM   #60
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Foreign secretary Boris Johnson doing his usual excellent job the BBC reports:

Quote:
Boris Johnson has refused to deny claims he used an expletive when asked about business concerns about Brexit.

The foreign secretary is reported to have used the swear word at a diplomatic gathering last week.

Asked about this in the Commons, he said he may have "expressed scepticism about some of the views of those who profess to speak up for business".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44618154

It's not so far out of character for the Foreign Secretary to be both undiplomatic and rather disdainful towards "tradesmen".

Quote:
Asked about corporate concerns over a so-called hard Brexit, at an event for EU diplomats in London last week, Mr Johnson is reported to have replied "**** business".

Mr Johnson, who was reportedly speaking at the time to Rudolf Huygelen, Belgium's ambassador to the EU, was also overheard saying he and others would fight Theresa May's soft Brexit "and win".
It looks like Boris is determined to have a diamond hard Brexit and damn the consequences (despite repeatedly promising the softest of soft Brexits during the camapaign).
Old 26th June 2018, 10:35 AM   #61
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This is the same Boris that managed to be 'unavailable to vote' when the Heathrow Runway was debated despite a 3 line Whip.
Foreign Office officials couldn't say where he was but it emerged he was doing something or other in Afghanistan but turned up again today.

The same Boris who was so opposed to Heathrow expansion and vowed to lie down in front of the bulldozers.

the same Boris who literally ran out of the chamber as an 'Urgent Question' on violence in Gaza was about to be asked. Leaving the Cabinet Secretary floundering and trying to answer on his behalf.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 10:56 AM   #62
Francesca R
Girl

. . .
When are we going to get clear of this stupid club analogy? [ uses club analogy ]
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 11:06 AM   #63
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
. . .
Ouch
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 11:28 AM   #64
MCel58
Demented Hen

Actually, this is a requirement of receiving funding and failure to comply can result in having to pay back a % of the funding.
MCel58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 12:04 PM   #65
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
. . .
I only used the golf club analogy in reply to the person who used it so as to point out what an absurd analogy they were using.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 01:06 PM   #66
Planigale
Master Poster

I only used the golf club analogy in reply to the person who used it so as to point out what an absurd analogy they were using.
So is Brexit analogous to a putter, a wood or an iron?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 01:08 PM   #67
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Foreign secretary Boris Johnson doing his usual excellent job the BBC reports:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44618154

It's not so far out of character for the Foreign Secretary to be both undiplomatic and rather disdainful towards "tradesmen".

It looks like Boris is determined to have a diamond hard Brexit and damn the consequences (despite repeatedly promising the softest of soft Brexits during the camapaign).
"damn the consequences"? No he is simply acting in the way he thinks will make it more likely to be PM, he is very much aware of the consequences of undermining May.
Old 26th June 2018, 02:37 PM   #68
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
"damn the consequences"? No he is simply acting in the way he thinks will make it more likely to be PM, he is very much aware of the consequences of undermining May.
From what I have read, Johnson is so disliked by many in the Tory party that even if May fell he would probably not get the PM nod.
And is it just me or is he TRYING to look like Donald Trump?
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 04:28 PM   #69
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It's clear that you find the club analogy frustrating. That doesn't mean that it is stupid, because it is equally clear that what frustrates you is your inability to refute it coherently.

As analogies go it is singularly apt. In fact it might be a mistake to call it an analogy to begin with. It might be more accurately referred to as a description.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 10:16 PM   #70
ceptimus
puzzler

You missed the point. So I'll use the analogy again to show why it's poor.

People use the club analogy to point out you can't expect to leave a club but continue to behave as though you haven't left. But you also don't leave a club but still have to pay into it. If you do still pay into a club then you haven't left - you've perhaps changed your membership type from 'gold' to 'silver' or similar - and then you WOULD be able to continue to use the club but with reduced benefits.

Another thing that the club analogy misses for Brexit is the trading relationship. To include that you would be a member of a golf club but also a person that sells things to it. Maybe you manufacture golf balls that are sold in the club shop, and maybe you have a contract to print club brochures when the club wants them. If you decided to leave the club as a member, then you wouldn't expect to play golf there again but you wouldn't expect to pay the club either, and you might expect to talk to the club to see if it remained interested in purchasing balls and printing services going forward.

All analogies are imperfect but the golf club/Brexit one is particularly poor and inappropriate.
Old 26th June 2018, 10:27 PM   #71
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
It's clear that you find the club analogy frustrating. That doesn't mean that it is stupid, because it is equally clear that what frustrates you is your inability to refute it coherently.

As analogies go it is singularly apt. In fact it might be a mistake to call it an analogy to begin with. It might be more accurately referred to as a description.
There's at least one difference: You don't ruin your life by leaving club...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 10:32 PM   #72
Lothian
should be banned

People use the club analogy to point out you can't expect to leave a club but continue to behave as though you haven't left. But you also don't leave a club but still have to pay into it. If you do still pay into a club then you haven't left - you've perhaps changed your membership type from 'gold' to 'silver' or similar - and then you WOULD be able to continue to use the club but with reduced benefits.

Another thing that the club analogy misses for Brexit is the trading relationship. To include that you would be a member of a golf club but also a person that sells things to it. Maybe you manufacture golf balls that are sold in the club shop, and maybe you have a contract to print club brochures when the club wants them. If you decided to leave the club as a member, then you wouldn't expect to play golf there again but you wouldn't expect to pay the club either, and you might expect to talk to the club to see if it remained interested in purchasing balls and printing services going forward.

All analogies are imperfect but the golf club/Brexit one is particularly poor and inappropriate.
The payment is for commitments and benefits recieved. As mentioned before. If you take out a years membership of a golf club and resign in a fit of pique because there are more coloured people appearing on the course than you would like (happy to repost the vote leave poster if your memory is slipping) you must still pay the monthly subs in your contract until you have paid the full amount you promised. You should also pay for the tour to Scotland that you signed up for later in the year. You can not expect to go on that trip for free because you have left he club.
That is what the brexit payment is. The fees we signed up to and agreed to pay at the start of the year (up to 2020 in the case of brexit) and the benifits we will receive after that date (pensions etc).

Your selling analogy is a good one. You might expect a golf club to favour one of its members in seeking suppliers, they would know the club, it's needs and would have its best interests at heart. If that member then leaves in a huff the business relationship may well be affected.

Last edited by Lothian; 26th June 2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 26th June 2018, 10:48 PM   #73
Lothian
should be banned

The golf analogy remains good. If you leave a club you can still play there but only when the members are not using it and you will pay more than members for the round. Same with brexit. We can not expect the same deal we have now, or even a better deal, which brexit promised. The leave campaign said we could get all the current membership benifits for less money.
Similarly many golf clubs as well membership fees have an joining fee. We are leaving our club to be able to join lots of other clubs instead. Other countries are in a strong position. They know how desperate we are to play. They will get a nice joining fee out of us before we get membership of their trade club.
Old 26th June 2018, 11:10 PM   #74
Explorer
Graduate Poster

You seem to be confused, and mixing up the divorce settlement with a potential new trade deal. The trade relationship can only be concluded after we leave.

The club analogy that refers to the first stage, our leaving deal, is perfectly valid.
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2018, 11:25 PM   #75
Lothian
should be banned

How outrageous. Businesses want to know what is going to happen with brexit. The government are heading optimistically towards the deadline date with no plans whatsoever, why can't businesses do the same?
Old 27th June 2018, 12:06 AM   #76
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
You seem to be confused, and mixing up the divorce settlement with a potential new trade deal. The trade relationship can only be concluded after we leave.

The club analogy that refers to the first stage, our leaving deal, is perfectly valid.
The club analogy for the new trade deal would be the ex member turning round and saying something like "of course I'll still want to play on the golf course, so you'll do me a good deal on green fees and a discount in the shop etc won't you?". No, you'll pay the full non-member prices, and you'll still have to obey the club rules though you will no longer have any say in what they are.
Old 27th June 2018, 12:59 AM   #77
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Explorer View Post

Trade deals are easy, I expect we've signed loads since last we broached the subject on here.

Loads
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:39 AM   #78
Greebo
Thinker

Siemens UK (15,000 employees) boss has also recently said:-
Quote:
However, in the latest sign of frustration felt by leading businesses over the lack of progress in Brexit negotiations, the chief executive of Siemens UK called the intervention “incredibly unhelpful” and joined calls for a deal that would not hit the flow of trade between the UK and mainland Europe.

Jürgen Maier said the aim should be “minimum friction” in any future trade deal and chastised the government for presiding over “two years of not having achieved what we were promised, which is that this was all going to be easy”.
from here.
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 02:00 AM   #79
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
Siemens UK (15,000 employees) boss has also recently said:-

from here

Jürgen Maier said the aim should be “minimum friction”
Jürgen, Jürgen what kind of name is that? Bloody Europeans coming over here, exploiting the free movement of goods, giving us good jobs and careers. Bastards.
Old 27th June 2018, 02:09 AM   #80
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Trade deals are easy, I expect we've signed loads since last we broached the subject on here.

Loads
Well to be serious for a moment, as I understand it the UK is prevented from signing new trade deals until we have left the EU on 29 March 2019 so it's not unreasonable that none have been signed.

Dr Liam Fox assured us all that there are however 40 deals ready to sign on the 30 March 2019 and doubtless they will be signed on that date and be far better than the shabby deals we had with those countries when we were labouring under the yoke of EU oppression.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics