ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 28th June 2018, 02:31 PM   #121
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Generally speaking, militaries prefer to leave delivering humanitarian aid to humanitarian aid groups. They can still provide materials and other support.

My brother in law has a great story about a “Civilian” he worked with who was running the operations for one of the civilian humanitarian agencies in that part of Afghanistan. He could tell the guy wasn’t your normal civilian aid worker. They became friends somewhat so they were having a few drinks on this guys last night there he happened to see the guys orders for his next deployment, turns out he was an SAS Colonel. He assumes the guy was there to help ensure civilian aid groups ran smoothly. (they can be somewhat disorganized...)
Nice story but probably untrue. The SAS is notoriously run by sergeants. There will be a lieutenant-colonel somewhere (Hereford?) but not in Afghanistan. In the UK colonels are on general staff and not attached to a regiment. There is a Brigadier (special forces). I wonder whether the person concerned was an ex-colonel who may have been through the SAS as a lieutenant or captain. A lot of ex military people do go into international NGOs.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 02:33 PM   #122
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Nice story but probably untrue. The SAS is notoriously run by sergeants. There will be a lieutenant-colonel somewhere (Hereford?) but not in Afghanistan. In the UK colonels are on general staff and not attached to a regiment. There is a Brigadier (special forces). I wonder whether the person concerned was an ex-colonel who may have been through the SAS as a lieutenant or captain. A lot of ex military people do go into international NGOs.
Dunno about Colonels but SAS Majors mot definitely serve in Afghanistan
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 03:50 PM   #123
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If there is one thing I learned n the US Army, it's the non coms who run things on a day to day basis.
And if they don't like an officer, they can make his life miserable.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 03:52 PM   #124
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If there is one thing I learned n the US Army, it's the non coms who run things on a day to day basis.
And if they don't like an officer, they can make his life miserable.....
Yes, but the US forces are weird like that.

Over here the 'Ruperts' are very much hands on running things. Lieutenants and Captains do most of the work.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 05:31 PM   #125
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Steel tariffs could force the nation's largest nail manufacturer to close or move to Mexico.
The Mid-Continent Nail plant in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, laid off 60 of its 500 workers last week because of increased steel costs. The company blames the 25% tariff on imported steel. Orders for nails plunged 50% after the company raised its prices to deal with higher steel costs.

The company is in danger of shutting production by Labor Day unless the Commerce Department grants it an exclusion from paying the tariffs, company spokesman James Glassman told CNN's Poppy Harlow.

Mid-Continent Nail is "on the brink of extinction," he said.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/26/news...ses/index.html
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 05:55 PM   #126
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

According to Putin's stooge...

Originally Posted by Trump
NATO is as bad as NAFTA.
Old 28th June 2018, 06:03 PM   #127
Armitage72
Master Poster

Trump criticizes a Canadian trade policy, and then admits he has no idea what he's actually talking about.

Quote:
Speaking at a rally in Fargo, North Dakota on Wednesday might, Trump took a break from his usual improvisation to read out a note card he said he had been given. It was a complaint about Canada’s wheat practices.

Immediately after reading the note, the president declared that he had no idea what he was talking about.

“John and Kevin gave me something, they told me this,” he said, likely referring to North Dakota Sen. John Hoeven and Rep. Kevin Cramer. Beginning to read, he said, “Canadian wheat markets consistently discriminate against the United States’s wheat by grading it as feed.”

He then pointed quizzically at the audience.

“Do you know what that means? They know what it means,” he said, pointing behind him. “I don’t know what the hell it means. I just know it’s a bad deal. What the hell does that mean?”

"I don't know what it is, but I know that it's bad." A stellar decision-making process.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 06:10 PM   #128
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Steel tariffs could force the nation's largest nail manufacturer to close or move to Mexico.
The Mid-Continent Nail plant in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, laid off 60 of its 500 workers last week because of increased steel costs. The company blames the 25% tariff on imported steel. Orders for nails plunged 50% after the company raised its prices to deal with higher steel costs.

The company is in danger of shutting production by Labor Day unless the Commerce Department grants it an exclusion from paying the tariffs, company spokesman James Glassman told CNN's Poppy Harlow.

Mid-Continent Nail is "on the brink of extinction," he said.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/26/news...ses/index.html
And this is what drives me crazy:

A lot of Republicans know damn well that Trump's tariff policies are going to lead to disaster, but still they are afraid to push back on them..despite the fact that fighting high tariffs would be Classic GOP Free Market policy. The cowardice is disgusting.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 28th June 2018 at 06:17 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 06:16 PM   #129
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
About what you would expect from Benedict Donald.

though, realistically, Since NATO was formed by a formal treaty, Trump would need approval from the Senate to pull out. And that would be very tought to get. Every Democrat would vote against pulling out, and there are enough Republicans who would break with Trump on this issue to make it a non starter. Senate seats are not nearly as vulnerable to primaring as House seats.
And I even think his closest advisors would advise against it.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 28th June 2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 28th June 2018, 08:48 PM   #130
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I notice my idea that armed resistence to a dictatorship might be necessary is not getting shot down as quickly as it would have been in the past.
I think that most people are just keeping right away from **** like that.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 09:52 PM   #131
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

We should not forget those Russian bots are still agitating. Just because FaceBook has a slick commercial out telling us their bad days are over and we can all go back to being warm and fuzzy doesn't mean it's true.

Patheos this month
Quote:
Russian Bot 272 is a representative of the People of Light, a group once known a white people. He proudly announced the Age of Guilt is officially over. The official statement came in the comment section of the Breitbart story Al Sharpton Thinks More White People Would Care If Police Were Shooting Them In The Back.

Here are excerpts from Russian Bot 272’s declaration:
Let’s get something straight. If non U.S. citizens are a race, then U.S. citizens are a race, which makes the democrat party the most virulently bigoted and racist organization in the U.S.

In the last 50 years the greastest help to the black community has been President Donald J. Trump.

That great white man, Sir Issac Newton showed that white light is made up of several colours. None of them black or brown.

The Age of Guilt is over.

Those who have wronged us should be happy they are still alive.
He went on to say:
Quote:
Everyone in the Breitbart comment section lauded Russian Bot 272’s concise thinking and all-American position on police brutality.

MAGA MAN is a stalwart supporter of Russian Bot 272 and had this to say:
Whites are being drvien into extinction. But its not because they chose to be its because the globalists/satanists have infiltrated their countries and attacked them. A big part of the reason their able to do it is because of the altruism of white people I truly believe that. Whites are almost like sheep in a lot of ways and aren’t nearly as quick to group together to defend themselves against a common threat as other races like blacks hispanics and asians. It is interesting, I was watching a nat geo show and it was showing how when giant Japanese hornets attack asian bee colonies the whole colony resists it whereas when it attacks Europeon bees they fight back one at a time and so they perish. European people are like their bees they build the greatest countries in the world but their much less quick to defend them from infiltration and attack.
However, the comment was quickly taken down by moderators due to the fact watching a ‘nat geo show’ sounds a bit too elitist.
Old 29th June 2018, 12:10 AM   #132
Planigale
Master Poster

A correction, the commander UK special forces is now a Major General not a brigadier his? deputy is a colonel. There is an honorary colonel commandant of the SAS, the battalion is commanded by a lieutenant colonel, squadrons (usually 4 / battalion) by majors, troops (usually 4 / squadron by captains). The point remains that there might be an ex-colonel in an NGO who served with the SAS, there won't be a colonel in the SAS. (An ex boss was a colonel who when i asked which regiment replied "red tab m'girl". My unlightened look led to him explaining that on promotion to colonel you go on general staff and cease to be attached to a regiment. This is signified by having a red tab (whatever that is).)
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 01:16 AM   #133
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Who is that?
The source I saw was captioned as that being the president of Portugal, but I have no idea how true that actually is. It's certainly someone getting out of a car that is flying Portugal's flag, though.
Old 29th June 2018, 01:55 AM   #134
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

though, realistically, Since NATO was formed by a formal treaty, Trump would need approval from the Senate to pull out. And that would be very tought to get. Every Democrat would vote against pulling out, and there are enough Republicans who would break with Trump on this issue to make it a non starter. Senate seats are not nearly as vulnerable to primaring as House seats.
You hope there are enough Republicans who would break.

We haven't seen any sign of it yet.
Old 29th June 2018, 02:06 AM   #135
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

(An ex boss was a colonel who when i asked which regiment replied "red tab m'girl". My unlightened look led to him explaining that on promotion to colonel you go on general staff and cease to be attached to a regiment. This is signified by having a red tab (whatever that is).)
It refers to the colour behind the rank insignia on the epaulettes.
General Staff have red borders.
Old 29th June 2018, 02:06 AM   #136
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Steve Doocy, Ainsley Earhardt, and Brian Kilmeade?
Old 29th June 2018, 02:22 AM   #137
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Whether on not they are as vulnerable to primarying, so far the Senate has backed President Trump. When it was 52/48 they could afford one dissenter, these days not so much.

If it went to a Senate vote, the chance of it not passing is close to zero.

Does President Trump have any advisor that he actually listens to, or sooner or later will he go with his famous "gut" regardless of what anyone else says ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 03:19 AM   #138
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Judge rejects request to move Trump's charity trial date from close to Midterms
Old 29th June 2018, 03:42 AM   #139
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Mentioned in that article is the pressure from the judge to settle the case, she obviously doesn't know the calibre of Trump, of course Trump won't settle - he's told us he never settles he always wins:

Quote:
...."It would be easy for me to settle the case, it's a simple civil case," he continued. "Probably I should, but I don't want to because I give them a great soundbite, but I don't settle cases. I don't get sued because I don't settle cases, I win in court."...
And we know his word is his bond!
Old 29th June 2018, 03:47 AM   #140
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Bolton was fawning all over Putin this morning, very similar to the way they all fawn over Trump in his presence.
I suspect Putin showed Bolton the director's cut of the music video and Bolton became much more pliant.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 04:47 AM   #141
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Looks like McConnell's excuse to reject Garland is being immediately discarded, to pretty much no one's surprise. Principles? Respect? Yeah... the Republican Party seems to have completely ditched those things.

It's pretty much at the point where I've lost nearly all desire to be the "better person" for either general principle or the sake of the undecided people, because I know that they will do their utmost to twist that to their advantage and will continue their long-standing policy of not reciprocating, with those like McConnell and Trump leading that charge.
Old 29th June 2018, 05:21 AM   #142
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Looks like McConnell's excuse to reject Garland is being immediately discarded, to pretty much no one's surprise. Principles? Respect? Yeah... the Republican Party seems to have completely ditched those things.

It's pretty much at the point where I've lost nearly all desire to be the "better person" for either general principle or the sake of the undecided people, because I know that they will do their utmost to twist that to their advantage and will continue their long-standing policy of not reciprocating, with those like McConnell and Trump leading that charge.
Well I suppose there is a difference between a Presidential election year (where the nominees might change) and a mid-term election year (where those responsible for confirming the nomination might change) if someone was minded to split hairs
Old 29th June 2018, 05:29 AM   #143
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well I suppose there is a difference between a Presidential election year (where the nominees might change) and a mid-term election year (where those responsible for confirming the nomination might change) if someone was minded to split hairs
I thought the difference was significant, and kinda being glossed over.

On Wednesday’s show, which I just listened to, Rachel Maddow barely mentioned the difference in “election years”, if she mentioned it at all.

The congressional elections do not affect the person making the nomination. They do affect the “advice and consent” of the congress, so there’s some logic/validity to the comparison, but it still seems quite different from a presidential election year.

None of which excuses the sleaziness of the Republicans for blocking Garland.
Old 29th June 2018, 06:03 AM   #144
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I totally agree, but the problem is that many in the GOP don't want UHC of ANY kind..it goes against their "The free Market will solve all problems" ideology.
Yes, and that's the closest they get to principles. There is a valid deological discussion on healthcare, whilst there isn't really on trechery or the rule of law.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 07:29 AM   #145
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Steve Doocy, Ainsley Earhardt, and Brian Kilmeade?
Sean Hannity.
Old 29th June 2018, 08:17 AM   #146
lomiller
Philosopher

I will go further and say the person making that claim really does not know much about how the US Army works.
I’m speaking from first hand experience. Relative to most other NATO countries, US forces are not good at interacting with civilian populations. They are younger, more aggressive and their training is to focused on their own security and defending against possible attack. Even when you can be attacked at any moment you can’t act like you expect someone to attack you and hope to make friends with them. (conversely US forces are much better than any other regular forces at missions where they have a well defined target to fight.)
Old 29th June 2018, 08:40 AM   #147
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

Local article on point...

I found this article very good and thought I'd share it.

I think it's a pretty fair assessment of Trump's actions over the last few days.
Old 29th June 2018, 09:19 AM   #148
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...92904605831168

Quote:
Peter Strzok's lawyer says the House Judiciary Committee "denied his request for a public hearing and for the release of the full transcript."
(House Judiciary Dems have called on @RepGoodlatte and @TGowdySC to "immediately release the unclassified transcript" of the hearing)
Old 29th June 2018, 09:24 AM   #149
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seth Abramson thread on today's news on evidence that Tom Barrack was offering insider information of the Trump administration to the UAE during the campaign
Old 29th June 2018, 09:51 AM   #150
Armitage72
Master Poster

Now Trump apparently wants to withdraw from the WTO.

Quote:
President Donald Trump has been privately suggesting that he wants the US to withdraw from the World Trade Organization, according to a new report.
Trump has been repeatedly telling White House officials he wants out from the global trade organization, Axios reported Friday.
"He's (threatened to withdraw) 100 times. It would totally (screw) us as a country," a source who's discussed the subject with Trump told Axios.
The source also told the publication that Trump has lamented, "We always get f---ed by them. I don't know why we're in it. The WTO is designed by the rest of the world to screw the United States."

Isolated from the world.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 10:05 AM   #151
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

(conversely US forces are much better than any other regular forces at missions where they have a well defined target to fight.)
Better than who exactly?
Old 29th June 2018, 10:09 AM   #152
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Rogue WH Snr Advisor
‏Tweet

@RogueSNRadvisor
2h2 hours ago

So to recap: Healthy, lifetime appointee Justice Kennedy randomly steps down days before stunning NYT report linking him, his financier son & Russia-connected Deutsche Bank to Trump & a billion dollar loan deal and no one in any party finds this at all fishy? Hello, anyone?
Old 29th June 2018, 10:15 AM   #153
NoahFence
Banned

Rogue WH Snr Advisor
‏Tweet

@RogueSNRadvisor
2h2 hours ago

So to recap: Healthy, lifetime appointee Justice Kennedy randomly steps down days before stunning NYT report linking him, his financier son & Russia-connected Deutsche Bank to Trump & a billion dollar loan deal and no one in any party finds this at all fishy? Hello, anyone?
Careful you don't get chastised by a conspiracy theorist because you posted something he or she deems a conspiracy.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 10:21 AM   #154
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Now Trump apparently wants to withdraw from the WTO.
Isolated from the world.
No, not totally isolated.

They will still have strong, long-lasting ties to Russia and North Korea.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 10:25 AM   #155
Lurch
Muse

Isolated, indeed.

What gets me is how saner minds in positions of power sit by, largely stupified while a rogue ignoramus trashes their country in the eyes of the world. In the space of hardly more than a year this ignorant toddler has wrecked his own playpen, with no end to further mischief in sight. Not to mentio the awful effects that radiate outward around the globe.

One could be forgiven for thinking that Trump was made into a very real Manchurian candidate by Putin. Effectively make the US into a supine, compliant vassal; an ex-KGB operative's wet dream come true.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 10:50 AM   #156
lomiller
Philosopher

A correction, the commander UK special forces is now a Major General not a brigadier his? deputy is a colonel. There is an honorary colonel commandant of the SAS, the battalion is commanded by a lieutenant colonel, squadrons (usually 4 / battalion) by majors, troops (usually 4 / squadron by captains). The point remains that there might be an ex-colonel in an NGO who served with the SAS, there won't be a colonel in the SAS. (An ex boss was a colonel who when i asked which regiment replied "red tab m'girl". My unlightened look led to him explaining that on promotion to colonel you go on general staff and cease to be attached to a regiment. This is signified by having a red tab (whatever that is).)
I can’t say I’m completely familiar with how things work in the UK military, but here there typically there are many more officers associated with a given service than there are jobs in in the actual regiment, battalion, etc. This is especially true for Senior Officers where they rotate people though specific jobs and rarely leave one person there for more than 2 years. They are not retired nor does their designation change when they are doing something else(eg like profession vs job)

The idea is to have numerous people who have either done that job or have all the qualifications they want to assign them to that job. Being posted someplace else doing something else doesn’t change what they are. Eg my sister is a Colonel with our Combat Engineers, and that is what she is regardless of whether she’s actually posted to a job in a CE Regiment.

Again I’m not completely familiar with how this would work in the UK military but I imagine it would be similar especially for something like the SAS. It would make sense that a Colonel would be a headquarters job rather than one within the Regiment itself, and if the general rules that apply here hold having held the Lt Colonel job within the Regiment would be a virtual requirement to hold that job but they may never have held the deputy job, which in turn would be a virtual requirement to hold the Major General position. .
Old 29th June 2018, 10:59 AM   #157
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

How does this happen?
Interesting. "Stuttering John prank calls the White House and actually gets called back by President Donald Trump on Air Force One."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 11:09 AM   #158
lomiller
Philosopher

Better than who exactly?
For pure combat missions? IMO, pretty much everyone other than some Special Forces units.
Old 29th June 2018, 11:10 AM   #159
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

For pure combat missions? IMO, pretty much everyone other than some Special Forces units.
Funny guy.
Old 29th June 2018, 11:41 AM   #160
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Canada has just announced retaliatory tariffs against the U.S. on $12.6 worth of goods.

These include whiskies, mustard, toilet paper, washing machines, motorboats, playing cards ketchup, and more.

They say, "We will not back down!"
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics