ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 29th June 2018, 11:48 AM   #161
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

$12.6 doesn't seem like a lot. Certainly not if you can buy whisky, mustard, toilet paper, a washing machine, a motorboat, a deck of cards, and a bottle of ketchup with it.
Old 29th June 2018, 11:48 AM   #162
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well I suppose there is a difference between a Presidential election year (where the nominees might change) and a mid-term election year (where those responsible for confirming the nomination might change) if someone was minded to split hairs
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I thought the difference was significant, and kinda being glossed over.

On Wednesday’s show, which I just listened to, Rachel Maddow barely mentioned the difference in “election years”, if she mentioned it at all.

The congressional elections do not affect the person making the nomination. They do affect the “advice and consent” of the congress, so there’s some logic/validity to the comparison, but it still seems quite different from a presidential election year.

None of which excuses the sleaziness of the Republicans for blocking Garland.
When it was blatantly obvious that it was an incredibly petty political ploy that McConnell was clearly lying about from the start and everyone paying any attention knew it? No, there there's no significant difference.

Either way, an interesting related question, then, is was Kennedy's son, who worked for Deutsche Bank and loaned Trump well over a billion, involved in the Bank's laundering of Russian money?
Old 29th June 2018, 11:51 AM   #163
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I thought the difference was significant, and kinda being glossed over.

On Wednesday’s show, which I just listened to, Rachel Maddow barely mentioned the difference in “election years”, if she mentioned it at all.

The congressional elections do not affect the person making the nomination. They do affect the “advice and consent” of the congress, so there’s some logic/validity to the comparison, but it still seems quite different from a presidential election year.

None of which excuses the sleaziness of the Republicans for blocking Garland.
McConnell's excuse was fake the first time around. The idea there was ever any actual principle behind it is absurd.
Old 29th June 2018, 11:58 AM   #164
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
McConnell's excuse was fake the first time around. The idea there was ever any actual principle behind it is absurd.
Yep.

I assume you can't just flat call someone a conniving liar on the senate floor...but I'm no senator, and McConnell is a conniving liar.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 11:59 AM   #165
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
If that is where Mueller's investigation is going, GOP legislators who still have half a brain are going to have a dilemma: pretend they believe it's all a Peter Strzok orchestrated conspiracy to get Trump, or side with the sane half of the Senate.
Old 29th June 2018, 12:01 PM   #166
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Canada has just announced retaliatory tariffs against the U.S. on $12.6 worth of goods.

These include whiskies, mustard, toilet paper, washing machines, motorboats, playing cards ketchup, and more.

They say, "We will not back down!"
$12.6 is only a twelve pack of beers, so no big deal....
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 01:55 PM   #167
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Now Trump apparently wants to withdraw from the WTO.

Isolated from the world.
That being isolated from the rest of the world is going to be very bad for business seems to be beyond Trump's understanding.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 02:24 PM   #168
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Canada has just announced retaliatory tariffs against the U.S. on $12.6 worth of goods.

These include whiskies, mustard, toilet paper, washing machines, motorboats, playing cards ketchup, and more.

They say, "We will not back down!"

Gotta be fake.

Everybody knows they don't use ketchup in Canada. They have poutine.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 02:58 PM   #169
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
This is what happens when your president if the accidental issue from homosexual congress.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 03:01 PM   #170
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Quite. It was utterly brazan.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 11:13 PM   #171
Aridas

Hmm. I'm linking a lot to the Daily Kos these days. Probably because there have been a number of good points and/or interesting facts mixed in. For example,

Quote:
But the issue, and the answer, is different from what it is reported. The simple fact is that in the modern era Republicans have never confirmed a Supreme Court justice nominated by a Democratic President. Contrary to popular belief, there has never been a bipartisan “norm” that Presidents get deference in appointing Supreme Court justices — that has been a Democratic “norm” under Republican Presidents, but that has never been reciprocated by Republicans.

I wrote about this previously. The last time a Republican Senate confirmed a Democratic President’s Supreme Court nomination was 1895 — which was 123 years ago (and involved a Republican party with little connection to today’s party).
Old 30th June 2018, 04:16 AM   #172
Stacko
Philosopher

The saga continues:
Secret Service at my door. I guess my old friend Donald wants to continue this. Stay tuned.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 05:12 AM   #173
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Every time I speak of the haters and losers I do so with great love and affection. They cannot help the fact that they were born ********** up!"

It was a few years ago though.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 05:15 AM   #174
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trumps up to date tweets.

"The Democrats are making a strong push to abolish ICE, one of the smartest, toughest and most spirited law enforcement groups of men and women that I have ever seen. I have watched ICE liberate towns from the grasp of MS-13 & clean out the toughest of situations. They are great!"

"To the great and brave men and women of ICE, do not worry or lose your spirit. You are doing a fantastic job of keeping us safe by eradicating the worst criminal elements. So brave! The radical left Dems want you out. Next it will be all police. Zero chance, It will never happen!"

"Just spoke to King Salman of Saudi Arabia and explained to him that, because of the turmoil & disfunction in Iran and Venezuela, I am asking that Saudi Arabia increase oil production, maybe up to 2,000,000 barrels, to make up the difference...Prices to high! He has agreed!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 06:08 AM   #175
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-us-officials

Quote:
North Korea still secretly enriching uranium, say US officials
Report cites ‘unequivocal evidence they are trying to deceive the US’ in blow to Donald Trump
Still I suppose Trump has got the North Koreans to stop nuclear testing at the mountain site that was no longer suitable for nuclear testing, due to damage caused by previous tests.

The art of the mark.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 06:23 AM   #176
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweete.

"I will be making my choice for Justice of the United States Supreme Court on the first Monday after the July 4th Holiday, July 9th!"
Old 30th June 2018, 06:31 AM   #177
Stacko
Philosopher

"The Democrats are making a strong push to abolish ICE, one of the smartest, toughest and most spirited law enforcement groups of men and women that I have ever seen. I have watched ICE liberate towns from the grasp of MS-13 & clean out the toughest of situations. They are great!"
Is that drawn from the same memory hole that resulted in him recalling dancing Muslims on 9/11?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 06:32 AM   #178
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Is that drawn from the same memory hole that resulted in him recalling dancing Muslims on 9/11?
Trump reminds me a ton of my mother in law.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 08:07 AM   #179
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-us-officials

Still I suppose Trump has got the North Koreans to stop nuclear testing at the mountain site that was no longer suitable for nuclear testing, due to damage caused by previous tests.

The art of the mark.
Kim got what he wanted. trump got what he wanted. Both: aggrandizement.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 09:22 AM   #180
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Kim got what he wanted. trump got what he wanted. Both: aggrandizement.
To be fair to Kim, he also got US concessions, including the cancellation of a long-running set of US-ROK military exercises. I have no reason to believe that aggrandisement is anything other than a tool for Kim, but one that is very useful in a totalitarian state with a cult of personality.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 09:25 AM   #181
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

"Just spoke to King Salman of Saudi Arabia and explained to him that, because of the turmoil & disfunction in Iran and Venezuela, I am asking that Saudi Arabia increase oil production, maybe up to 2,000,000 barrels, to make up the difference...Prices to high! He has agreed!"
He doesn't realize when S.A. increases production, the price drop halts American production because they would be operating at a loss.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 09:39 AM   #182
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

European Council head Donald Tusk tells EU to prepare for worst case scenarios re the US, and says that Trump is pioneering the doctrine of there being “no friends, only enemies”
Old 30th June 2018, 09:46 AM   #183
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Intercept: CALLS TO ABOLISH ICE ARE BECOMING MORE MAINSTREAM. IS WASHINGTON READY FOR THE CONVERSATION?
Quote:
The argument to shut ICE down revolves around its cultural ecology. The agency has become corrupted with a military mentality that doesn’t respect civilian oversight and has little effective oversight. Once an institution’s culture has metastasized, reforming it can become impossible, with the only solution to abolish it and disperse its various authorities elsewhere.

“What’s happened is as we’ve created ICE and given more and more authority with no accountability to ICE, in my opinion, it’s become a rogue agency,” Jayapal told The Intercept....

Sen. Wyden ... “ICE agents should not be able to take an end run around the constitutional protections that prevent other government agents from searching private homes, vehicles, and businesses without a warrant.”
... nearly 20 ICE agents have warmed to a version of the idea. In a jargony four-page letter sent to Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, some 19 ICE investigators propose that ICE be done away with, and that two distinct entities emerge.
Old 30th June 2018, 10:08 AM   #184
Mumbles
Philosopher

Yes. No town in the US, to my knowledge, was taken over by MS-13. And we know that ICE is mostly concentrating on finding and catching easy targets - meaning the people who lack that sort of firepower. THat's why we keep hearing about raids in meat packing plants, restaurants, and outside courtrooms.

It's a very nice story if you're hoping to incite violent racial hatred, though - and well in keeping with older US stories about "scalping" savage Indians, black brutes raping "our" women, or secret muslims who took over the presidency despite being born outside the US.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 10:10 AM   #185
Mumbles
Philosopher

This is one that actually is worth discussing - particularly since ICE is a pretty recent creation as far as law enforcement goes - but then again, I think that much of US law enforcement needs major reform as well as a Supreme Court that takes constitutional protections seriously.
Old 30th June 2018, 11:12 AM   #186
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
This is one that actually is worth discussing - particularly since ICE is a pretty recent creation as far as law enforcement goes - but then again, I think that much of US law enforcement needs major reform as well as a Supreme Court that takes constitutional protections seriously.
There's also a pecking order thing going on. ICE special agents (series 1811s) don't like being associated with the lesser beings who do detention and removal (series 1810s and 1816s IIRC). Criminal Investigators/Special Agents (1811s) don't want to be looped in the unwashed masses doing worksite enforcement and serving warrants of deportations. They should be doing high-minded crime fighting like intercepting pirated DVDs and fake GAP sweatshirts or whatever else the FBI leaves for them to do.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 11:38 AM   #187
Aridas

Just because...

Our incredibly squeamish President actually watched this? And which towns are these? I would expect to hear the right-wing media Trumpeting this stuff like crazy, after all, but there's been not a peep that I've seen.

"To the great and brave men and women of ICE, do not worry or lose your spirit. You are doing a fantastic job of keeping us safe by eradicating the worst criminal elements. So brave! The radical left Dems want you out. Next it will be all police. Zero chance, It will never happen!"
Either way, "Next it will be all police" seems a bit disjointed. Is Trump seriously saying that Democrats want to eliminate police entirely, rather than that a subset of them should simply improve their behavior so they aren't acting like criminals themselves?

Good if it will help lower prices, but, um... how much should we thank the President for putting a patch on a problem that he fairly directly caused?

Last edited by Aridas; 30th June 2018 at 11:44 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 11:44 AM   #188
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Just because...

Our incredibly squeamish President actually watched this? And which towns are these? I would expect to hear the right-wing media Trumpeting this stuff like crazy, after all, but there's been not a peep that I've seen.

Either way, "Next it will be all police" seems a bit disjointed. Is Trump seriously saying that Democrats want to eliminate police entirely, rather than that a subset of them should simply improve their behavior so they aren't acting like criminals themselves?

Good, but, um... how much should we thank the President for putting a patch on a problem that he fairly directly caused?
Let's see. You know he's lying about ICE. You know he lies about everything. But you believe he called his bud, the king, and got a 2 million barrels of oil favor?
Old 30th June 2018, 11:50 AM   #189
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Let's see. You know he's lying about ICE. You know he lies about everything. But you believe he called his bud, the king, and got a 2 million barrels of oil favor?
It's "up to" 2 million barrels. Which includes zero, of course.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 11:52 AM   #190
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It's "up to" 2 million barrels. Which includes zero, of course.
That presumes he actually called the man.
Old 30th June 2018, 11:53 AM   #191
Aridas

I leave it in the realm of plausible that it will happen, for now, much as I strongly doubt that it would be done simply because he asked, not least because of how he's quite eager to take credit for anything that he thinks he can get away with. Either way, the point I was making was a different one. He's offering a patch to a problem that he had a huge part in causing in the first place. Even if it was completely true and completely reversed the damage he's done, how happy should we be with him on that matter?

Last edited by Aridas; 30th June 2018 at 11:55 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2018, 12:01 PM   #192
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says he convinced Saudi Arabia to increase their oil production up to 2 million barrels.
Doing so would break OPEC rules.

Saudi Arabia has refused to confirm any such agreement.

SURPRISE.
Old 30th June 2018, 12:11 PM   #193
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The U.S. ambassador to Estonia resigns today, citing Trump's anti-Europe tirades in private message to friends.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/06/29...ntic-alliance/
Old 30th June 2018, 12:29 PM   #194
Garrison
Illuminator

And that he wasn't accidentally connected to a prank caller instead.
Old 30th June 2018, 12:46 PM   #195
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump says he convinced Saudi Arabia to increase their oil production up to 2 million barrels.
Doing so would break OPEC rules.

Saudi Arabia has refused to confirm any such agreement.

SURPRISE.
Bingo.
Old 30th June 2018, 01:08 PM   #196
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
It's no different that the "No-Go Zones" that European white nationalists claim are overrun by "muslims" over there.

Well, okay, it's a different set of supposedly threatening nonwhite people, but it's still paint-by-numbers white supremacism.
Old 30th June 2018, 01:24 PM   #197
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Don't you know MS-13 are actually Muslims? People are saying, anyhow.
Old 30th June 2018, 01:29 PM   #198
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And that he wasn't accidentally connected to a prank caller instead.

Old 30th June 2018, 01:38 PM   #199
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

This being Trump, I checked what the Saudis had to say about it first, so you and I are on the same wavelength there.

Old 30th June 2018, 03:01 PM   #200
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
To be fair to Kim, he also got US concessions, including the cancellation of a long-running set of US-ROK military exercises. I have no reason to believe that aggrandisement is anything other than a tool for Kim, but one that is very useful in a totalitarian state with a cult of personality.
Yes.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics