ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 3rd July 2018, 01:18 PM   #281
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Harley-Davidson customers have precognition?
No... pre-ignition.
Old 3rd July 2018, 01:32 PM   #282
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Remember a month or so ago when Trump said he would reveal a plan in which drug manufacturers agree to reduce their prices?

He hasn't, and today Pfizer just raised prices on 100 different drugs.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 01:40 PM   #283
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Remember a month or so ago when Trump said he would reveal a plan in which drug manufacturers agree to reduce their prices?

He hasn't, and today Pfizer just raised prices on 100 different drugs.
That's so that they can reduce them when trump tells them to.
Old 3rd July 2018, 02:13 PM   #284
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says wants to meet with Putin alone, with no other aides present on either side, in Helsinki this month.
That means no note-takers, witnesses, or official record.

Nothing fishy there.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 02:40 PM   #285
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That's so that they can reduce them when trump tells them to.
Wile E. Trump - Super Genius
Old 3rd July 2018, 02:46 PM   #286
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Wile E. Trump - Very Stable Genius
FIFY
Old 3rd July 2018, 03:13 PM   #287
Bob001
Philosopher

Scott Pruitt asked Trump to fire Jeff Sessions, make him Attorney General.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/polit...ump/index.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 03:34 PM   #288
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says wants to meet with Putin alone, with no other aides present on either side, in Helsinki this month.
That means no note-takers, witnesses, or official record.
It'll be recorded, though. It's just that only one side will have the recording.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 03:35 PM   #289
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Wasn't Sessions' name floated for SCOTUS?
I breezed past some such a couple days ago and now don't recall the name.

It was scary... must have blanked it out.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 3rd July 2018 at 03:36 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 03:39 PM   #290
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

He hasn't ...
I blame the Opposition Party for opposing him.

Quote:
...and today Pfizer just raised prices on 100 different drugs.
Pelosi. fnord

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:26 PM   #291
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Is there NOBODY here that remembers that paragon of Republican Christian values, Newt* Gingrich? Sheesh!

*He didn't get better.
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:33 PM   #292
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

"Now that Harley-Davidson is moving part of its operation out of the U.S., my Administration is working with other Motor Cycle companies who want to move into the U.S. Harley customers are not happy with their move - sales are down 7% in 2017. The U.S. is where the Action is!"

Time; how the **** does it work?
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:45 PM   #293
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

TrumpTweets

"The Washington Post is constantly quoting “anonymous sources” that do not exist. Rarely do they use the name of anyone because there is no one to give them the kind of negative quote that they are looking for. They are a disgrace to journalism but then again, so are many others!"

I guess 'many people' are saying it.
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:46 PM   #294
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets a doozy!

"After having written many best selling books, and somewhat priding myself on my ability to write, it should be noted that the Fake News constantly likes to pore over my tweets looking for a mistake. I capitalize certain words only for emphasis, not b/c they should be capitalized!"
Old 3rd July 2018, 06:02 PM   #295
Minoosh
Philosopher

Trump tweets a doozy!

"After having written many best selling books, and somewhat priding myself on my ability to write, it should be noted that the Fake News constantly likes to pore over my tweets looking for a mistake. I capitalize certain words only for emphasis, not b/c they should be capitalized!"
Trump didn't write that. Priding himself only "somewhat"? He's a great writer, maybe the greatest ever.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 06:23 PM   #296
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets a doozy!

Note: He originally wrote "pour over". True.
Old 3rd July 2018, 07:28 PM   #297
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The same way Hillary decided to influence Uranium-1 decisions years after the decisions were made....... Loopers, they are real.....
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:28 PM   #298
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Note: He originally wrote "pour over". True.
Maybe that's the work of one of those best editors that he hires.
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:32 PM   #299
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Quote:
Just out that the Obama Administration granted citizenship, during the terrible Iran Deal negotiation, to 2,500 Iranians - including to government officials. How big (and bad) is that? -- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
Cowardly Liar in Chief in action.

Today, July 4, 2018, on its 242nd birthday, the nation celebrates the terrorizing of young children and their families, as the rise of fascism and death of truth continues apace. Republicans, poisoners of the climate, child molesters, bigots. Still too cowardly to man up to the number of children detained, hiding in the shadows and stroking a coin purse. Yellow stripe down every GOP back visible from orbit.
Old 4th July 2018, 12:18 AM   #300
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It was always $10 per gallon under Obama. Someone clearly has been remiss in his attention to the pronouncements from the Ministry of Truth. There are special camps to help you concentrate on their messages of Truth. A stay at one can be arranged.
$10 per gallon... that's $0.50 per person attending his inauguration!
Old 4th July 2018, 12:45 AM   #301
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

President Trump will scrap affirmative action:

Quote:
The Trump administration is set to roll back the Obama-era policies promoting diversity in universities, known as affirmative action, US media report.

US Attorney General Jeff Sessions revoked 24 guidance documents on Tuesday, many involving race in schools and affirmative action recommendations.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44703874

Will we see states being allowed to implement segregation laws if thy choose to do so if Donald Trump is still President in 2024 ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 12:49 AM   #302
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

We are in a surreal world. We moved so far ahead with Obama, things were looking great, promising, there were no 'issues' except the lies the GOP kept promoting, like how bad the ACA supposedly was. He wasn't perfect, but he was intelligent and at least qualified for the job.

And now the backlash we get is Trump and overwhelming racism. It's stunning.
Old 4th July 2018, 12:55 AM   #303
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump will scrap affirmative action:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44703874

Will we see states being allowed to implement segregation laws if thy choose to do so if Donald Trump is still President in 2024 ?
Prediction: Asian-American students displace white students at uni.

Dump should follow the South African model - demand that university demographics are representative of the population. That way he can keep all the gooks out.
Old 4th July 2018, 12:57 AM   #304
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
We are in a surreal world. We moved so far ahead with Obama, things were looking great, promising, there were no 'issues' except the lies the GOP kept promoting, like how bad the ACA supposedly was. He wasn't perfect, but he was intelligent and at least qualified for the job.

I would like to think of the winds of politics being pendulum like. After a swing to the left, the pendulum starts to swing right. The analogy comforts me with the implication that this too will pass. Of course, then I can't help imagine Putin with a finger on the pendulum.
Old 4th July 2018, 12:59 AM   #305
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Prediction: Asian-American students displace white students at uni.

Dump should follow the South African model - demand that university demographics are representative of the population. That way he can keep all the gooks out.
You're probably right at some universities. At some others, I can foresee a very monochromatic student body coming about.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 01:13 AM   #306
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
I would like to think of the winds of politics being pendulum like. After a swing to the left, the pendulum starts to swing right. The analogy comforts me with the implication that this too will pass. Of course, then I can't help imagine Putin with a finger on the pendulum.
Over the last 50, 100, 150 years there has been a pendulum but there has also been a consistent move to greater human rights within the general variability

In some cases I think that a high water mark has been reached in the US - at least in my lifetime. I cannot see workers' rights ever getting back to where they were when employment models were different and organised labour was strong - it's a separate argument whether stronger workers' rights benefited the economy as a whole (I would tend to say yes, free marketeers would sey no).

Perhaps we are now approaching "peak tolerance" and over the next few decades we'll see a gradual scaling back of human rights in the US. IMO it won't be on a national level but I can certainly foresee individual states having far more latitude to implement apparently discriminatory laws and as long as they are discriminatory in favour of the "right" kind(s) of people, a SCOTUS with a more conservative bias may rule that the states are entitled to do so and the federal government over-reached itself in forcing integration, gay marriage, secularism and so on onto unwilling states.

Then again perhaps not.
Old 4th July 2018, 02:05 AM   #307
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

...Yet more evidence that the GOP hates democracy. To take an excerpt...

Quote:
Only a conservative would argue that letting someone drink from the same water fountain as you is infringing on their “rights”.

The Washington Post has the old and new standards side-by-side so you can see all the redlining that was done. The Montgomery bus boycott, the March on Washington, and the Voting Rights Act were deleted. The historic role the NAACP played in the Civil Rights movement was downplayed, as well as all references to Roe v. Wade. Orwell at its best: you never fight for rights if you never learn you have them. Speaking of which:

Lest you think that only the term “core democratic principles” were redlined—no dice. Not only do the new standards wipe out the term “democratic”, they delete the term “democracy” as well.

The justification, according to Colbeck, is that the United States is not a democracy, but a republic—a line that is often repeated by conservatives. It is false: America is, and always has been, a representative democracy. At least, that’s what it is supposed to be, and will hopefully remain that after the Trump years.

But that isn’t why Colbeck did this at all. That’s not what this is really all about. The media won’t call this out, even though the GOP has openly declared what they are doing.

As conservative author David Frum admits, the new GOP hates democracy, because, in his own words:

Quote:
The Republican party has a platform that can’t prevail in democratic competition.

WHEN HIGHLY COMMITTED PARTIES BELIEVE STRONGLY [IN] THINGS THAT THEY CANNOT ACHIEVE DEMOCRATICALLY, THEY DON’T GIVE UP THEIR BELIEFS — THEY GIVE UP ON DEMOCRACY
Old 4th July 2018, 04:49 AM   #308
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
You're probably right at some universities. At some others, I can foresee a very monochromatic student body coming about.
Affirmative Action is one of those concepts I’m on the fence about.

On the one hand, I applaud the diversity it brings about. Yay!

On the other hand, being denied college entrance or a job because of the color of one’s skin seems patently unfair, at least at the individual level. And tipping the scales in favor of less qualified applicants has to, on average, affect the quality of the students entering or workers employed or whatever. Boo!

But flame suit on - I know sometimes it’s hard to put forth a nuanced or conflicted position here.
Old 4th July 2018, 04:55 AM   #309
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Y'all should have expected the racism - that's what always follows when black people move forward in the US.

I have to admit, though, it's as if the US picked the worst white guy they could find just to show that he'd do a better job than Obama, though. I expected the hostility towards black and hispanic people, but the other profoundly stupid things he's doing...that's impressive.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 05:06 AM   #310
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Affirmative Action is one of those concepts Im on the fence about.

On the one hand, I applaud the diversity it brings about. Yay!

On the other hand, being denied college entrance or a job because of the color of ones skin seems patently unfair, at least at the individual level. And tipping the scales in favor of less qualified applicants has to, on average, affect the quality of the students entering or workers employed or whatever. Boo!

But flame suit on - I know sometimes its hard to put forth a nuanced or conflicted position here.
It's a band-aid to treat a knife wound that hit a major organ. The ideal was/is heavy investment in minority communities to make up for the long, and in many ways ongoing, draining of wealth at the state and federal level, but that never happened in the first place. Do that, and we don't have to worry about the effect it has on the kids of wealthy Asian immigrants, who really do face the biggest disadvantage as as far as which racial groups are effected by AA programs.

But lots of folks would rather be homeless than see black people also prosper, sooo...

(I'll also point out, yet again, that these guys are never at all upset by "legacy admissions", and in many cases openly enjoy it's benefits, and that white women are largely considered the group that has benefited from AA programs the most.)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2018, 05:39 AM   #311
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's also worth pointing out that equally-qualified non-white people aren't playing on a level playing field. A few people have done the same test - created CVs which are identical except that one is for a person with a typically white name and the other is for a person with a typically non-white name - and sent them out to businesses that are hiring, and have unfailingly found that the businesses are a lot more interested in the "white applicants" than they are in the "non-white applicants".

And this doesn't even have to be intentional. Everybody has an unconscious bias towards people who look like them, or who they otherwise perceive as being part of the same tribal group. Affirmative action is designed to compensate for this unconscious bias and, a few years down the line, eliminate it simply by having the demographics of the people doing the hiring matching the demographics of the society in which the company exists.

This also goes for the fact that the majority of jobs aren't filled by job adverts and interviewing random candidates, but by someone in the company bringing in someone they already know. If the company is staffed by middle-class white blokes who know middle-class white blokes, then new hires will be middle-class white blokes.

There are several ways in which the deck is stacked against non-white people getting jobs, particularly jobs with bigger companies, or above a certain level. Affirmative action is designed to level the playing field and to ultimately give everybody the same opportunity as everybody else.
Old 4th July 2018, 08:00 AM   #312
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
There are several ways in which the deck is stacked against non-white people getting jobs, particularly jobs with bigger companies, or above a certain level. Affirmative action is designed to level the playing field and to ultimately give everybody the same opportunity as everybody else.
AA isn't much of a thing outside of college admissions. In the job market, high-school level broadly discriminate based on skin color - to the point of being black have a more negative effect than having a felony record (anyone can google the name "Devah Prager" to find multiple studies on this in different metropolitan areas). At a professional level, employers often recruit from specific universities, or via social networks - and since most white people have exactly 0 nonwhite friends...

And while many employers try to compensate for the above via recruitment efforts pushed by upper-level managers, new hires often find hostility among their fellow employees and direct management - tech companies like Google are notorious for issues like this. And I'm picking Google specifically because of that one guy who decided to send around an email about women at the company, and then made money after being let go when it went public. The fact that he basically ruined his own chances of working alongside women, much less actually being a project leader on any team with women on it, kinda slipped by him.
Old 4th July 2018, 08:40 AM   #313
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Affirmative action is designed to level the playing field and to ultimately give everybody the same opportunity as everybody else.
Worthy ultimate goal. But an immediate effect can be someone not getting into school, or not getting a job, solely because they’re white, or the “wrong” minority.
Old 4th July 2018, 08:53 AM   #314
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Real world example...

I forget the exact figures, but when I tested to work for Dade County, FL, a white applicant needed to score 90% on the entrance test, Hispanics 85% and blacks 75%. I was smart enough to get in, but a white applicant could have been denied a job that was given to a less qualified applicant. Seems like discrimination on the basis of race to me, something we should try to avoid.

I realize the alternative was to have a mostly white police force policing a mostly black area, which brings along its own set of issues.

Only to point out why Im conflicted.
Old 4th July 2018, 08:58 AM   #315
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Worthy ultimate goal. But an immediate effect can be someone not getting into school, or not getting a job, solely because theyre white, or the wrong minority.
I'm not saying it's a perfect solution. But, since the alternative is also people not getting into school or not getting a job solely because of their race...
Old 4th July 2018, 09:03 AM   #316
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution. But, since the alternative is also people not getting into school or not getting a job solely because of their race...
I think the desired alternative is people getting into school or getting jobs solely based on testing, qualifications and ability, in a way free of bias for or against any race, creed, color, sexual orientation, etc. etc.
Old 4th July 2018, 09:04 AM   #317
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Real world example...

I forget the exact figures, but when I tested to work for Dade County, FL, a white applicant needed to score 90% on the entrance test, Hispanics 85% and blacks 75%. I was smart enough to get in, but a white applicant could have been denied a job that was given to a less qualified applicant. Seems like discrimination on the basis of race to me, something we should try to avoid.

I realize the alternative was to have a mostly white police force policing a mostly black area, which brings along its own set of issues.

Only to point out why Im conflicted.
But if you set the cutoffs all at 90% and found that 50% of white applicants passed, 30% of Hispanic applucants passed, and 10% of black applicants passed, what would think? "Black people just aren't as smart"? Or "the test is systematically biased against black people"?

Unless you assume black people are just inferior, you should figure there is an issue with the test.

This is why the alternate percentages are used.
Old 4th July 2018, 09:18 AM   #318
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

My best guess is blacks were disadvantaged because of an inferior school system, for whatever reason. Hispanics I’m less sure about.
Old 4th July 2018, 09:32 AM   #319
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I think the desired alternative is people getting into school or getting jobs solely based on testing, qualifications and ability, in a way free of bias for or against any race, creed, color, sexual orientation, etc. etc.
What's your suggestion for how to achieve that?
Old 4th July 2018, 09:46 AM   #320
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
But if you set the cutoffs all at 90% and found that 50% of white applicants passed, 30% of Hispanic applucants passed, and 10% of black applicants passed, what would think? "Black people just aren't as smart"? Or "the test is systematically biased against black people"?

Unless you assume black people are just inferior, you should figure there is an issue with the test.

This is why the alternate percentages are used.
Well, policing has problems that vastly outweigh the skin color of the police themselves first, which is why so many black people will state outright that black police are even more violent than white police are.

Second, want to change this? It'll take a massive investment into k-12 schooling, environmental cleanup, and medical care including prenatal care (and Dolt 45 is trying his hardest to make things worse in all of these). When it comes to testing, we don't know of much that will boost people, but we definitely know of a lot that will harm them - and all of these are unevenly distributed due to our own ongoing history of racism in the US.

And again, tough sell when a good portion of the country would rather starve as long as they can think that they're still better off than black/hispanic/Native Americans are.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics