ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 27th June 2018, 11:51 AM   #41
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,644
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
The post-Kennedy SC will just rule that attempt unconstitutional.
The number of Justices isn't set in the constitution. As long as congress passes a law changing the number it's constitutional.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 11:51 AM   #42
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43,504
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I posted my comment in a thread full of progressives that are upset that he resigned.
Yes and? That doesn't make him a progressive, I mean he was appointed by Reagan after all, a noted SJW. Is everyone but solid Trumpists now a progressive?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 11:53 AM   #43
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 30,724
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I posted my comment in a thread full of progressives that are upset that he resigned.
Posts 6 and 9.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 11:54 AM   #44
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker
 
gregthehammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 485
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Wait and see what? If they actually move to Canada or Norway?
I'm going to say, unless they have "Mad Skilz" in demand by either country, said people aren't going to move. Although, I suppose they could overstay vacation visa's.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 11:56 AM   #45
crescent
Master Poster
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,365
Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
I'm going to say, unless they have "Mad Skilz" in demand by either country, said people aren't going to move. Although, I suppose they could overstay vacation visa's.
I am reaching the point where I would move to Germany (I am eligible to do that) if I thought I could get a decent job there. This is very disappointing.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:07 PM   #46
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,061
So when will Trump officially nominate Ted Nugent ?
__________________
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!"
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:10 PM   #47
Busta Capp
Scholar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 60
Hopefully a couple of more leftist activists on the SCOTUS are next to retire.
Busta Capp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:13 PM   #48
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,781
Originally Posted by Busta Capp View Post
Hopefully a couple of more leftist activists on the SCOTUS are next to retire.
Bur right wing activist are just plain peacy.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by zooterkin; 27th June 2018 at 01:51 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:14 PM   #49
Busta Capp
Scholar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 60
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 12

Last edited by zooterkin; 27th June 2018 at 01:51 PM.
Busta Capp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:20 PM   #50
crescent
Master Poster
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,365
I suppose the Dems could just invoke the McConnell rule and refuse to participate in hearings/filibuster so close to an election. Then refuse to consider anyone nominated by a President who is in the process of being impeached.

But I know that's just wishful thinking. We're screwed.

Last edited by crescent; 27th June 2018 at 12:21 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:22 PM   #52
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,781
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I suppose the Dems could just invoke the McConnell rule and refuse to participate in hearings/filibuster so close to an election. Then refuse to consider anyone nominated by a President who is in the process of being impeached.

But I know that's just wishful thinking. We're screwed.


You know, "Despair Porn" is trendy and considered cool, but it plays right into Trump's hands.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:23 PM   #53
Cleon
King of the Pod People
 
Cleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 25,655
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Snoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooort.

I'll be over here holding my breath.
__________________
"People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz." - Newt Gingrich
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:24 PM   #54
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 11,889
Maybe Trump will nominate Mueller to the Supreme Court in order to get him off of the investigation process.
__________________
On 28 JUN 2018 'yuno44907' said: "I am god and you have to help me."
On 03 JUL 2018 'yuno44907' got banned from the Forum.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:25 PM   #55
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I suppose the Dems could just invoke the McConnell rule and refuse to participate in hearings/filibuster so close to an election. Then refuse to consider anyone nominated by a President who is in the process of being impeached.

But I know that's just wishful thinking. We're screwed.
The Court has to somewhat mirror the country because they know the legislature will step in if their rulings get too crazy. The country has accepted legalized abortion and gay marriage to such an extent, the Court will be under tremendous pressure to not reverse those decisions, and those are the two I personally care about the most. I don't think they're under any danger.

But we're going to absolutely eat it on things like voting rights and unions.

Last edited by Fudbucker; 27th June 2018 at 12:31 PM.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:27 PM   #56
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,781
Serously, A lot of the despair and wallowing in extensitanal misery we are getting on this site is just what Trump and the GOP want.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:32 PM   #57
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,644
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
The Court has to somewhat mirror the country because they knew the legislature will step in if their rulings get too crazy. The country has accepted legalized abortion and gay marriage to such an extent, the Court will be under tremendous pressure to not reverse those decisions, and those are the two I personally care about the most. I don't think they're under any danger.

But we're going to absolutely eat it on things like voting rights and unions.
I see theocrats rushing to get a case that could overturn Roe v. Wade in front of the new justice. They've abandoned everything they believe in to support Daft Taft and get this opportunity. They want their thirty pieces of silver.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:33 PM   #58
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Serously, A lot of the despair and wallowing in extensitanal misery we are getting on this site is just what Trump and the GOP want.
Oh, I don't think you can get the base fired up anymore than it already is. I've never seen Democrats so engaged before. Turnout will probably set records, and I think most of it will be on the Dem side.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:34 PM   #59
crescent
Master Poster
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,365
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You know, "Despair Porn" is trendy and considered cool, but it plays right into Trump's hands.
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Serously, A lot of the despair and wallowing in extensitanal misery we are getting on this site is just what Trump and the GOP want.
How is is despair porn to point out that the Trump will be very likely to nominate a candidate and see that candidate approved, and to understand that the candidate will likely be much more conservative than Kennedy?

How does this play into Trump's hands?

It is very, very easy for this to happen. Even if the Dems filibuster, it only takes 51 Senate votes to change the rules and end the filibuster. They've got that. 60 votes to over-ride a filibuster, but only 51 votes to decide not to allow filibusters on this or that issue.

It seems to me that this is what is most likely to actually happen. They would have to move pretty fast to make it happen before the election, but if its a priority, they'll do it.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:35 PM   #60
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 27,907
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Serously, A lot of the despair and wallowing in extensitanal misery we are getting on this site is just what Trump and the GOP want.
I'm pretty sure this site isn't even on their radar.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:35 PM   #61
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I see theocrats rushing to get a case that could overturn Roe v. Wade in front of the new justice. They've abandoned everything they believe in to support Daft Taft and get this opportunity. They want their thirty pieces of silver.
I'm sure they'll try, and they'll probably be able to make it harder to get abortions, but to make it impossible isn't going to happen, I think. Unless I'm totally misreading the country, which has happened before.

Last edited by Fudbucker; 27th June 2018 at 12:37 PM.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:36 PM   #62
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,781
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Oh, I don't think you can get the base fired up anymore than it already is. I've never seen Democrats so engaged before. Turnout will probably set records, and I think most of it will be on the Dem side.
And .on reflection, a lot of this is just Internet posturing. because deep,sorrowful angst is considered cool and hip. Sounding like you are on the verge of suicide is badge of hipness among many young people.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:36 PM   #63
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm pretty sure this site isn't even on their radar.
I think he's extrapolating from the dems here to dems in general. I think this will fire them up even more. Ginsberg is no spring chicken.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:39 PM   #64
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And .on reflection, a lot of this is just Internet posturing. because deep,sorrowful angst is considered cool and hip. Sounding like you are on the verge of suicide is badge of hipness among many young people.
Liberals' bad luck is to be stuck with young people, who we have to drag kicking and screaming to the polls. On the other hand, old people die a lot, and demographics is destiny, so I think liberals have a winning hand in the coming years, even with a system that gives outsized influence to rural America.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:41 PM   #65
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 17,427
On the one hand, I hope Trump nominates a complete loon like Roy Moore, maybe even Sheriff Joe. On the other hand, the Republican Senate would probably just go ahead and confirm them.

Obama nominating Garland was considered unseemly haste. You ain't seen nothing yet. There'll be a nominee and hearings scheduled within the next two weeks.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:41 PM   #66
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43,504
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I'm sure they'll try, and they'll probably be able to make it harder to get abortions, but to make it impossible isn't going to happen, I think. Unless I'm totally misreading the country, which has happened before.
I can see it happening, there are a few steps, and certainly in many states it will be totally absent from operation even if technically legal. Look at how good the unconstitutional laws have been at getting providers to close than when ruled unconstitutional they don't open up again.

So first I see lots of states that have no providers in the whole state like say texas, where it is just a quick trip over the boarder several states to get to one.

Nationally outlawing would be a fair distance down the road, and would be a result of the death of democracy.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:46 PM   #67
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I can see it happening, there are a few steps, and certainly in many states it will be totally absent from operation even if technically legal. Look at how good the unconstitutional laws have been at getting providers to close than when ruled unconstitutional they don't open up again.

So first I see lots of states that have no providers in the whole state like say texas, where it is just a quick trip over the boarder several states to get to one.

Nationally outlawing would be a fair distance down the road, and would be a result of the death of democracy.
What they might do is kick the issue back to the states. That would, ironically, make it easier for most people to get abortions, since more people live in liberal states.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:48 PM   #68
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43,504
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
What they might do is kick the issue back to the states. That would, ironically, make it easier for most people to get abortions, since more people live in liberal states.
Not remotely, it wouldn't get harder in some states, get impossible in others even if technically legal. Why do you think there are federal rules that would change that make it harder to get an abortion? You think they are going to fund contraception and maternity care at planned parenthood or something?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:49 PM   #69
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,043
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I'm sure they'll try, and they'll probably be able to make it harder to get abortions, but to make it impossible isn't going to happen, I think. Unless I'm totally misreading the country, which has happened before.
There was a segment on the political satire show The Opposition that had 2 of their "correspondents" travelling to Mississippi to show how easy it was to get an abortion. They found that there was:
1) one abortion clinic in the state (which means some people will have to travel hours to get to it)
2) It required a multi-day stay (which means staying in a hotel for some people)
So if you were a relatively poor person living in a remote part of the state, it would be a considerable hardship to obtain an abortion.

Abortion will likely not be outlawed outright; instead, there will be small little laws and challenges (Cuts to the number of clinics and federal funding, restrictive regulations about how they operate, etc.) that will make it increasingly harder to obtain one, until the only people who can afford to get one are rich republicans and their playmate mistresses.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/13/polit...ent/index.html
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:50 PM   #70
This is The End
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,254
This is a nightmare.

There needs to be a push to separate this country into two. There is no reconciliation possible with these ****** Nazis.

The Russian propaganda machine has not only imposed a President to their liking, but now two Supreme Court justices.

And the Republicans do not give a **** because Russia is backing them and not the "other guy".
__________________
________________________
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:53 PM   #71
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43,504
Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
The Russian propaganda machine has not only imposed a President to their liking, but now two Supreme Court justices.

And the Republicans do not give a **** because Russia is backing them and not the "other guy".
OF course Russia is a natural ally as it represents how they want government to function.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:53 PM   #72
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
There was a segment on the political satire show The Opposition that had 2 of their "correspondents" travelling to Mississippi to show how easy it was to get an abortion. They found that there was:
1) one abortion clinic in the state (which means some people will have to travel hours to get to it)
2) It required a multi-day stay (which means staying in a hotel for some people)
So if you were a relatively poor person living in a remote part of the state, it would be a considerable hardship to obtain an abortion.

Abortion will likely not be outlawed outright; instead, there will be small little laws and challenges (Cuts to the number of clinics and federal funding, restrictive regulations about how they operate, etc.) that will make it increasingly harder to obtain one, until the only people who can afford to get one are rich republicans and their playmate mistresses.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/13/polit...ent/index.html
That's what I see happening.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:55 PM   #73
Wayward son
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 462
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
The Court has to somewhat mirror the country because they know the legislature will step in if their rulings get too crazy. The country has accepted legalized abortion and gay marriage to such an extent, the Court will be under tremendous pressure to not reverse those decisions, and those are the two I personally care about the most. I don't think they're under any danger.

But we're going to absolutely eat it on things like voting rights and unions.

I think you have things backwards. With Kennedy people are already eating it on things like voting rights and unions. Kennedy was standing in the way of us also eating it on abortion and gay marriage. Prepare for that to change. Are they going to overturn Roe this fall? No, but it will be hollowed out to nothing pretty quickly.

As to the court needing to somewhat mirror the country. It doesn't have do. Usually a SC will, but that is up to the individuals. Most of the current members are ideologues who could care less what the general public thinks about their decisions. They know their ideology is correct, so if the general population disagrees it is because they are wrong.

Last edited by Wayward son; 27th June 2018 at 12:58 PM.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:56 PM   #74
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Not remotely, it wouldn't get harder in some states, get impossible in others even if technically legal. Why do you think there are federal rules that would change that make it harder to get an abortion? You think they are going to fund contraception and maternity care at planned parenthood or something?
California and New York, if given the choice, would enact extremely liberal abortion policies. That's 1 in 5 Americans right there. Some states would make it illegal, so some women would have to travel to get one.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:58 PM   #75
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,080
Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
I think you have things backwards. With Kennedy people are already eating it on things like voting rights and unions. Kennedy was standing in the way of us also eating it on abortion and gay marriage. Prepare for that to change.
Oh, I think on voting rights and unions, sure. It's only going to get worse, but on abortion? I don't think Murkowski and Collins would support someone they thought was capable of overturning Roe. I don't think Roberts would go along with it, and I think that's essentially who we're going to get: another Roberts.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:58 PM   #76
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43,504
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
California and New York, if given the choice, would enact extremely liberal abortion policies. That's 1 in 5 Americans right there. Some states would make it illegal, so some women would have to travel to get one.
What policies do you think they want to enact that they would be allowed to in the future?

This isn't the federal gov ending their abortion restrictions, it is that the court would no longer be a check against states defacto banning it.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 12:59 PM   #77
crescent
Master Poster
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,365
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
The Court has to somewhat mirror the country because they know the legislature will step in if their rulings get too crazy. The country has accepted legalized abortion and gay marriage to such an extent, the Court will be under tremendous pressure to not reverse those decisions, and those are the two I personally care about the most. I don't think they're under any danger.

But we're going to absolutely eat it on things like voting rights and unions.
See the bolded. Without voting rights protection, without limits on Gerrymandering or campaign finance, the legislature will not mirror the country, and elections will have few consequences to them. They'll be under no pressure to try to reign in the Supremes.

At any rate, the legislature has little ability to do anything to counter the SC.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:00 PM   #78
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43,504
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Oh, I think on voting rights and unions, sure. It's only going to get worse, but on abortion? I don't think Murkowski and Collins would support someone they thought was capable of overturning Roe. I don't think Roberts would go along with it, and I think that's essentially who we're going to get: another Roberts.
I don't think we are going to be that lucky by far.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:01 PM   #79
crescent
Master Poster
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,365
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
California and New York, if given the choice, would enact extremely liberal abortion policies.
What current federal things hold them back?


(nothing)
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2018, 01:03 PM   #80
portlandatheist
Master Poster
 
portlandatheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,824
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Roe vs Wade overturn coming up. with theocracy to follow.
overturning Roe v Wade would turn our country upside down and inside out. Complete chaos.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.