ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Thai Boys Found in Cave After NINE Days.

Two British divers have found the team of twelve boys, aged 11 - 16, and their coach, aged 25, together with the help of Thai navy SEALS.

Quote:
This is the moment 12 boys and their football team coach were found alive after becoming trapped in a flooded cave for more than a week in Thailand.

Video shows the starved and frightened youngsters crammed onto a wedge of rocks waiting to be rescued after nine days of desperate searching.

The boys, mostly seated and with baggy football shirts pulled over their knees, were discovered by two British rescue divers.
They have been trapped since 23 June, having become trapped due to rising water.

The trauma for these children will be enormous. They will hardly be able to bear daylight, be able to walk or eat.

Should the coach be charged with negligence, or is this an accident that could happen to anyone?
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:37 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

They haven't been rescued, only found. Rescuing them is the next major challenge.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 01:02 PM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is still good (and I'll admit for me at least not expected. I'm slightly ashamed to admit I didn't see a huge chance of finding them alive and am very happy to be wrong) news. Hope the rescue can go smoothly.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 01:27 PM   #4
CompusMentus
Waiting for the Worms

I too thought they wouldn't be found in time. Looking forward now to reading the full story of the rescue.....

Compus
Old 2nd July 2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Rescue can take time now, because it is clear they can be fed and kept warm and relatively safe.

The trick to getting them out will be to find the safest method, not necessarily the fastest. They were trapped due to rising water due to rain. It may be easiest to just wait for the water to subside and simply walk out. Then again, more rain is expected shortly. We shall see.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 02:08 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The trauma for these children will be enormous. They will hardly be able to bear daylight, be able to walk or eat.
I think it will be for a short time (a few days) at most. Once they are replenished, rehydrated, rested, (all of which can be done on-site), and rescued, I believe we'll see videos of them playing soccer within the month.
Old 2nd July 2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I can't believe that guy shone a bright torch right into the boys' faces. Ouch.
Old 2nd July 2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Update: 'Rescuers may have to bring out the boys one by one' in case of mishap halfway along.

Quote:
It could take hours to remove each individual child, according to Butch Hendrick, an American rescue diver, who has spoken to CNN this evening.

They’d have to make sure that each one was successfully out before they started with the next one because if they suddenly had a problem they don’t want to be halfway through the exit and realize they have to go back.

It could be multiple hours per person for sure based on the distance interior they are in the cave.

Hendrick set out the three steps that the rescue team are likely to follow when and if they decide to remove the boys.

Medical personnel will check the boys and their assistant coach so they can decide who will go first
They will likely be given oxygen if they can’t swim
Two to three people will assist the boys and their coach to get through the narrow passages
https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...ball-team-live
Old 2nd July 2018, 02:30 PM   #9
Bob001
Philosopher

From the story:
Quote:
He said: 'We will bring food to them and a doctor who can dive. I am not sure they can eat as they have not eaten for a while.'

So what happens if a person hasn't eaten for several days? Does his digestive system shut down? Do you start him out with some kind of broth or soup? Juice? Ensure? How do you treat short-term starvation?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 02:34 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
From the story:

So what happens if a person hasn't eaten for several days? Does his digestive system shut down? Do you start him out with some kind of broth or soup? Juice? Ensure? How do you treat short-term starvation?
Starving people throw up if they eat too much. I do not know why but I'm guessing the lining of the intestine is affected.

They were given some kind of energy gel according to the article.
Old 2nd July 2018, 02:39 PM   #11
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Given what was known about the cave system I always had high hopes that they would be rescued. They're not out yet but this is all very encouraging.

Remember the miners who were trapped and they actually drilled a new shaft to where they were, just big enough to take a single-person escape pod?
Old 2nd July 2018, 02:43 PM   #12
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Given what was known about the cave system I always had high hopes that they would be rescued. They're not out yet but this is all very encouraging.

Remember the miners who were trapped and they actually drilled a new shaft to where they were, just big enough to take a single-person escape pod?
That actually became a pretty good feature film.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2006295/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 02:51 PM   #13
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Will they all have to be taught scuba diving to get out of there? If so, it's risky with novice divers in a cave and tunnel situation because panicking can be fatal.
Old 2nd July 2018, 03:18 PM   #14
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Will they all have to be taught scuba diving to get out of there? If so, it's risky with novice divers in a cave and tunnel situation because panicking can be fatal.
How far do they have to go to get out? I haven't seen anything about that. That could make a big difference.
Old 2nd July 2018, 03:41 PM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
How far do they have to go to get out? I haven't seen anything about that. That could make a big difference.
They are more than two miles from the entrance. Not all of it is flooded and they continue to pump out water. But still it might require a mile of scuba with no accessible air pockets and no visibility (the water is not clear).

I'm going to speculate that they do not go with a scuba rescue and instead wait until the water is gone and they can walk and crawl out. The wait might be longer than the number of days they have already been trapped.

ETA: Water with zero visibility is almost a guarantee of uncontrolled panic for a brand new scuba diver. Even an experienced diver will have psychological problems.

Last edited by William Parcher; 2nd July 2018 at 03:44 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:00 PM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Once they are replenished, rehydrated, rested...
I would think that they aren't dehydrated since there is plenty of water in the cave and also there might be seeps coming through the walls with nice clean water.

A kid said to bring food because they are hungry. That's a good sign I think - my understanding is that advanced starvation includes the loss of the hunger urge.
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:05 PM   #17
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Maybe if they were 8 years old or so.

But kids in that part of the world can be exposed to a multitude of horrible acts. The drug wars over there are still in the memory of many, as well as human trafficking. Don't know if they get any thicker skin because of these events, good or bad, but I'm sure they'll be back to playing games in a short time.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:08 PM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Apparently the kids can't swim.
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:11 PM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

They are more than two miles from the entrance. Not all of it is flooded and they continue to pump out water. But still it might require a mile of scuba with no accessible air pockets and no visibility (the water is not clear).

I'm going to speculate that they do not go with a scuba rescue and instead wait until the water is gone and they can walk and crawl out. The wait might be longer than the number of days they have already been trapped.

ETA: Water with zero visibility is almost a guarantee of uncontrolled panic for a brand new scuba diver. Even an experienced diver will have psychological problems.
The Guardian (they keep updating) said they are 2.3km inside. I thought it was further so maybe it is 2 miles.
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:20 PM   #20
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Apparently the kids can't swim.
Yeah I just read that a rescuer said that. They won't take them out underwater. It's too dangerous.
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:28 PM   #21
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Drilling a vertical access tunnel could be challenging too because this cave system is inside a rugged mountain.
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:42 PM   #22
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Any possibility of pumping down the water? Perhaps, one segment at a time?
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:44 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Any possibility of pumping down the water? Perhaps, one segment at a time?
Yes. They've been pumping aggressively for a while now.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 05:03 PM   #24
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't see the coach that is supposed to be with them. I'm afraid this great story could still take a dark turn.
Old 2nd July 2018, 05:25 PM   #25
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

All thirteen of them are there. The coach is in his early twenties and probably looked like one of the boys to you.
Old 2nd July 2018, 05:36 PM   #26
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Word over here is that they will stabilize them and get them healthy before any attempt at scuba-ing them out. They won't be doing normal scuba, either but go to a rig with a full head/face mask so they feel less threatened.

Even for a practiced diver this isn't an easy swim. They will feed them and have "diving doctors", e.g. doctors who dive not doctors who treat diving conditions, on the way in this morning. If they can feed them and get their spirits up, they'll probably let 'em stay on the little beachhead for a while.

Oh, and @venom? Jeez! You think we swing from trees over here? They're normal school kids, not guerrilla fighters against the Khmer!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 2nd July 2018 at 05:43 PM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 05:54 PM   #27
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I've never done cave diving or much no overhead diving but they shouldn't need to give each boy SCUBA gear. You could just give them a mask and some harness device to clip into a diver and have them breath off a spare second stage. We had to practice this for both Open Water I and Open Water II classes. Ideally, you'd practice a bit so the boys get used to breathing underwater and clearing and replacing their masks.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 06:06 PM   #28
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

A rescuer said that if they take them out by diving they would do one-at-a-time and it will take about two hours for each one-way rescue.

A report says that when it rains hard the cave fills faster than they can pump it out.
Old 2nd July 2018, 06:12 PM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

Oh, and @venom? Jeez! You think we swing from trees over here? They're normal school kids, not guerrilla fighters against the Khmer!

Thank you, I was thinking about a response. I could never have done it better than that.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd July 2018 at 06:14 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 06:22 PM   #30
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I've never done cave diving or much no overhead diving but they shouldn't need to give each boy SCUBA gear. You could just give them a mask and some harness device to clip into a diver and have them breath off a spare second stage. We had to practice this for both Open Water I and Open Water II classes. Ideally, you'd practice a bit so the boys get used to breathing underwater and clearing and replacing their masks.
It's really a terrible situation because they aren't even swimmers so they don't have experience even being submerged. The water is muddy so they can't see anything. The claustrophobia and disorientation could overwhelm them and prevent any calmness when that is always necessary.

The full head helmets are a better idea. I don't know if they have to equalize sinuses/ears for the dive. A graphic shows the maximum depth of the water at around 18 feet in one area.

The usual mask and regulator is really scary because a panicked kid could spit out the mouthpiece and try to zoom for the surface which isn't there. Plus you can't see anything. The rescuer can be endangered too by a thrashing kid who is going crazy.

I don't know how you teach scuba in water that is so muddy you can't see the instructor and vice versa. On top of that they are uncomfortable and uncoordinated because they aren't even swimmers yet.
Old 2nd July 2018, 06:22 PM   #31
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I heard an interview years ago about cave dive

She is supposed to be seriously seriously frightening if you haven't done it before, let alone not done any other diving.

And these kids can't swim.

They might want to pump the kids full of valium first
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 06:35 PM   #32
Myriad
Hyperthetical

A report says that when it rains hard the cave fills faster than they can pump it out.

I'd expect that to be the case. What I wasn't sure of is whether the flooded part of the connecting passage is continuous, or can be treated as separate flooded sections with higher zones in between.

In the latter case, I was imagining pumping down just the farthest flooded section adjacent to where the civilians are, moving them all to the next beachhead, and so forth. Probably not feasible unless the cave topology happened to be just right.

(I'm also imagining a technomaniacal solution involving a length of circumfrentially rigid but longitudinally flexible tube about a meter in diameter, which can be run through the flooded stretches with each end above the water and then pumped out. Workable in principle but getting the kinks out of something like that would take way too long.)

Letting the experts who are 8,000 miles closer to the problem handle it would seem to make a lot of sense. But try telling my brain that...
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:02 PM   #33
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

New York Times says that they are located about three miles from the cave entrance.

Another thing I hadn't imagined was mentioned in NYT. The boys might suffer decompression sickness (the bends) after they are rescued. It's theorized that they could be breathing compressed air right now in the dry chamber because of rising water causing pressurization. If this is the case they might require a portable decompression chamber just outside of the cave entrance or to be quickly transported to a decompression chamber. It's all only a theory right now.
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:10 PM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

New York Times says that they are located about three miles from the cave entrance.

Another thing I hadn't imagined was mentioned in NYT. The boys might suffer decompression sickness (the bends) after they are rescued. It's theorized that they could be breathing compressed air right now in the dry chamber because of rising water causing pressurization. If this is the case they might require a portable decompression chamber just outside of the cave entrance or to be quickly transported to a decompression chamber. It's all only a theory right now.
That's a stretch. They aren't deep underground breathing under pressure.
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:30 PM   #35
Myriad
Hyperthetical

A detailed timeline (with ongoing live updates) is here.

The team was found 400 km 400m past a chamber called "Pattaya Beach" which is about 5 km from the entrance, so 3 to 3.25 miles is about right. It appears that there are several flooded sections of approximately 10m long each between the entrance and the "3rd chamber" about 3 km in which is a major interior rescue staging area. One of those flooded sections is very narrow, requiring divers to dismount their SCUBA tank to pass through. Some (rough hand-drawn) maps appear to show a longer flooded section between the 3rd chamber and Pattaya Beach. It appears to have taken rescuers about a day and a half, after reaching the 3rd chamber on Sunday, to work their way past that section and find the group.

An update from Friday that two rescue workers had been electrocuted by flooded equipment turned out, fortunately, to have been exaggerated. (In common usage "electrocuted" often just means non-fatally shocked; add translation issues across languages and it's easy to see how such a report could be mistaken.) If in the end there are NO fatalities among so many people involved in such dangerous operations in sketchy conditions I will be extremely impressed. The world press hasn't really noticed yet but there's been some extraordinarily good coordination and communication going on.

How many instructor-level cave divers are there in the world? It appears most of them are on the scene there.

Last edited by Myriad; 2nd July 2018 at 07:53 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:42 PM   #36
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's a stretch. They aren't deep underground breathing under pressure.
I don't think you understand. The concern is not how far below ground they are located. They aren't very far under and the cave system is well above sea level anyway.

The concern is that sections of the cave could contain pressurized air because the rising water compresses the contained air if it cannot escape. They will evaluate the situation to decide if they will need to decompress the boys using a decompression chamber.
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:50 PM   #37
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
A detailed timeline (with ongoing live updates) is here.

The team was found 400 km past a chamber called "Pattaya Beach" which is about 5 km from the entrance, so 3 to 3.25 miles is about right. It appears that there are several flooded sections of approximately 10m long each between the entrance and the "3rd chamber" about 3 km in which is a major interior rescue staging area. One of those flooded sections is very narrow, requiring divers to dismount their SCUBA tank to pass through. Some (rough hand-drawn) maps appear to show a longer flooded section between the 3rd chamber and Pattaya Beach. It appears to have taken rescuers about a day and a half, after reaching the 3rd chamber on Sunday, to work their way past that section and find the group.

An update from Friday that two rescue workers had been electrocuted by flooded equipment turned out, fortunately, to have been exaggerated. (In common usage "electrocuted" often just means non-fatally shocked; add translation issues across languages and it's easy to see how such a report could be mistaken.) If in the end there are NO fatalities among so many people involved in such dangerous operations in sketchy conditions I will be extremely impressed. The world press hasn't really noticed yet but there's been some extraordinarily good coordination and communication going on.

How many instructor-level cave divers are there in the world? It appears most of them are on the scene there.
400 meters. 400 km away is somewhere in Viet Nam, I think.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:51 PM   #38
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I don't think you understand. The concern is not how far below ground they are located. They aren't very far under and the cave system is well above sea level anyway.

The concern is that sections of the cave could contain pressurized air because the rising water compresses the contained air if it cannot escape. They will evaluate the situation to decide if they will need to decompress the boys using a decompression chamber.

Struggling to see that causing the bends tbf.

The bit where they are is pretty roomy comparatively from the photos
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:52 PM   #39
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
400 meters. 400 km away is somewhere in Viet Nam, I think.

Yeah, 400 m. Don't know how that k snuck in there.
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:53 PM   #40
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Sorry but this seems like a consultant with a white board discussion. Divers have been going in and out, including into those mysterious over-pressurized sections for over a week. There are NO decompression units at the cave entrances presently. How are those divers surviving?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events