ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th July 2018, 04:22 AM   #321
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
About the Australian cave-diving anaesthetist helping with the rescue:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-0...e-says/9957074

He sounds like a real badass.
On that note, something I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere, which leaves me somewhat skeptical if it's true or not: A Danish diver who is involved with the rescue, told Danish media that the boys were lightly sedated, so as to avoid any risk of panic attacks, while still leaving them awake and aware of what was going on around them.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 04:27 AM   #322
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

This is interesting.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wor...-ng-b88889337z

According to this version of events the boys went into the cave by themselves after football practice, and it was only when their parents raised the alarm that the coach went in after them to try to find them and get them out. If that's correct, he must have found them but been unable to get them back before the water rose too high to get back to the entrance.

It seems that the really restricted passages the divers had to go through weren't part of the boys' original expedition, but places they'd squeezed through as the waters rose to try to get away from the flooding.
Old 10th July 2018, 04:27 AM   #323
smartcooky
Philosopher

Yep. NZ Herald are also reporting that all 12 are out, including the coach
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 04:28 AM   #324
Rolfe

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
On that note, something I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere, which leaves me somewhat skeptical if it's true or not: A Danish diver who is involved with the rescue, told Danish media that the boys were lightly sedated, so as to avoid any risk of panic attacks, while still leaving them awake and aware of what was going on around them.

A spot of valium might not have been a bad idea actually.
Old 10th July 2018, 04:32 AM   #325
Rolfe

I've seen a tweet saying the doctor and the divers who stayed in the cave are now out too, though I don't know if that's premature.

ETA: Half an hour later the reports are saying they're still waiting for the four rescuers to come out.

Last edited by Rolfe; 10th July 2018 at 04:59 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 04:34 AM   #326
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

There was international support, but the Thai authorities have handled this exceptionally well. Bravo.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 04:34 AM   #327
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Fantastic result.
Old 10th July 2018, 04:35 AM   #328
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Great news. Well done to all those involved - excellent and (initially) unexpected result.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 04:41 AM   #329
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I can't wait to see these boys playing soccer again. And see it I will as cameras will be following these boys for a considerable time now.

And I don't mind them profiting handsomely due to the world-wide uplifting result.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 04:51 AM   #330
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Scuttlebutt here, but with no official word, is that they're going to try for all five of them today.

We're getting a hodgepodge of mixed signals from the various supposedly official communications channels. Someone on the Seal team purportedly told a friend who told a friend that they want to get all five today and would start early. The former governor, now official mouthpiece and nanny, said last night after 9 that preparation for the next phase would be 20 hours. That'd put 'em heading out at five or six p.m. which is ridiculous.

And evidently super-rich famous foreigners are fine with us! Elon Musk was taken in up to chamber 3 yesterday. He donated his mini-sub to them for "future possible use".

It should be noted...

> The Thai press continues to emphasize "The Thai Navy Seal rescue" but without naming names is giving full credit to the help from foreigners. Gov't interviews are even more forthcoming; the press is afraid of its own shadow and makes sure to load Thai credit first. (Jail terms and shut-down papers and radio stations will do that for you, I guess.)
> The English-speaker wasn't native Thai. He grew up in Myanmar and had moved around to a number of schools. Reports now say that it was just the one kid talking to the divers who found them.
> The big story here about them widening the tight channel so divers could get through with tanks (prior to finding the boys) seems to have been made up to cover some dawdling. They are pushing the tanks through that final (coming out; going in it would be "initial") passage. Gossip radio up in Chiang Rai says that's why the Brit divers pushed ahead. They knew from experience that they had to continue exploring while the Seals were busily awaiting instructions.
> Our P.M. went up yesterday to lift spirits but not, they assure us, because he is running for re-election in "the election to be named later". Seems to have backfired. No one covered any of his visit.
What, no credit to POTUS Donald Trump who tweeted he was doing everything to help? (Perhaps he thought they were US SEALS. Doh_!)
Old 10th July 2018, 04:52 AM   #331
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I can't wait to see these boys playing soccer again. And see it I will as cameras will be following these boys for a considerable time now.

And I don't mind them profiting handsomely due to the world-wide uplifting result.
I dunno. 15 minutes of fame and all that. The world didn't follow those Chilean miners around.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 04:58 AM   #332
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I for one am looking forward to hearing the children's story.

It's good the coach kept them all together.

But to actually help them through small gaps...?

Well, he is either hero or villain. We'll soon know.
Old 10th July 2018, 04:58 AM   #333
smartcooky
Philosopher

Interesting comment from CNN newsreader, calling the rescue.."the Apollo 13 of cave rescues"
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by smartcooky; 10th July 2018 at 05:11 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 04:59 AM   #334
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Must have cost millions.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:01 AM   #335
Rolfe

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I for one am looking forward to hearing the children's story.

It's good the coach kept them all together.

But to actually help them through small gaps...?

Well, he is either hero or villain. We'll soon know.

According to the Australian story he went in to find them after their parents raised the alarm. So if that's true, there isn't any version in which he's the villain.

If that's what happened, Holywood will be wetting itself. They have their ready-made hero.

Last edited by Rolfe; 10th July 2018 at 05:03 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:04 AM   #336
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
According to the Australian story he went in to find them after their parents raised the alarm. So if that's true, there isn't any version in which he's the villain.

If that's what happened, Holywood will be wetting itself. They have their ready-made hero.
I don't know, he's a bit "ethnic" for current US tastes. Maybe if the film was relocated to the US......
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:04 AM   #337
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Sad that this cost Saman Kunan his life.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:15 AM   #338
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Why would Musk build and bring a submarine without knowing the exact dimensions and configurations of the narrow rocky pinch points? Why would he do a sub without knowing the heights and weights of the boys?

A couple days ago the media was saying Musk sent some engineers to the cave but not himself. So, now he's there and even went into the cave to Chamber 3?
Old 10th July 2018, 05:18 AM   #339
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Well done.

Pheeeewwwww, that was quite something.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:23 AM   #340
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Why would Musk build and bring a submarine without knowing the exact dimensions and configurations of the narrow rocky pinch points? Why would he do a sub without knowing the heights and weights of the boys?

A couple days ago the media was saying Musk sent some engineers to the cave but not himself. So, now he's there and even went into the cave to Chamber 3?
Evidence that he didnt do that research or got it wrong?
Old 10th July 2018, 05:23 AM   #341
Cleon
King of the Pod People

They're all out. OMG.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:25 AM   #342
sphenisc
Illuminator

An amazing achievement of international collaboration and what a wonderful outcome to get the entire team and coach out successfully.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:31 AM   #343
AnonyMoose
Thinker

Couldn't have asked for better results. Everyone has made it out safe and sound.

Congrats to all the hardworking heroes who made this possible... these families will be grateful for the rest of their lives.

RIP Saman, your sacrifice was not in vain.

Last edited by AnonyMoose; 10th July 2018 at 05:32 AM.
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:35 AM   #344
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
I SCUBA dive and I have yet to see one used. If you need to talk underwater, it would be essential.

I do wonder how they taught the kids to 'clear' a full face mask. Masks often leak and you lift it and blow out your nose to get the water out. Sometimes I do it on purpose to defog things. This would be pretty simple to teach a kid (for a half mask).
The full face one I imagine is harder to clear and would start to fill up in the exact location where you breathe. Then you'd need to learn to clear that part too. That's scary.
We don't know what equipment was used or how they did it. We could say that 13 non-swimmers were not taught good swimming because there just wasn't enough time and proper conditions for learning. We could say there wasn't enough time to teach good diving and certainly not advanced cave diving.

I think that they taught them only the most rudimentary and necessary things. They learned 10% of what you need to learn to both swim and scuba dive and do it in nasty cave tunnels.

I figure that most of what they we taught was to allow themselves to be "live cargo" being pulled and pushed and guided through it all. You don't need to swim or adjust your buoyancy or anything like that - just don't flail or resist our actions. The rescuers do all the thinking and all the work. The people being rescued are still not swimmers and are still not scuba divers.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:39 AM   #345
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I dunno. 15 minutes of fame and all that. The world didn't follow those Chilean miners around.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_33_(film)
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-San-Jose-mine
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...10-chile-mine/
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world...ys-sot-vpx.cnn
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:39 AM   #346
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Magnificent work from a group of brave, determined and, most of all, highly competent rescuers. Really great news.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:41 AM   #347
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

This is interesting.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wor...-ng-b88889337z

According to this version of events the boys went into the cave by themselves after football practice, and it was only when their parents raised the alarm that the coach went in after them to try to find them and get them out. If that's correct, he must have found them but been unable to get them back before the water rose too high to get back to the entrance.

It seems that the really restricted passages the divers had to go through weren't part of the boys' original expedition, but places they'd squeezed through as the waters rose to try to get away from the flooding.
Someone's conflated two stories. Ake has been with the players all along. It was the "head coach", Ake's superior, who got the calls from worried parents and left a game to go look and discovered their bikes and backpacks. He's the one who sent out the alarm.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:45 AM   #348
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Ake's superior, who got the calls from worried parents and left a game to go look and discovered their bikes and backpacks. He's the one who sent out the alarm.
But the original press stories said that a park ranger found the bikes outside the cave entrance.

ETA: I seem to recall the story being that the park ranger went by the cave after "park closing time" and all the park visitors were gone except that there are all these bikes parked at the cave. And it had started raining hard.

Last edited by William Parcher; 10th July 2018 at 05:48 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:50 AM   #349
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
But the original press stories said that a park ranger found the bikes outside the cave entrance.
Could be. I'm only going by stories repeated from much later in the narrative and they may have embroidered the head coach's role but purportedly he called the park rangers in the version I heard.

There's been so much misinformation out of the authorities that I'm sorta waiting to see thirteen faces waving from hospital gowns before I believe they're out. A lot of that misinformation has been rushed to print in the west, too.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:51 AM   #350
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

President Trump tweets:

Quote:
On behalf of the United States, congratulations to the Thai Navy SEALs and all on the successful rescue of the 12 boys and their coach from the treacherous cave in Thailand. Such a beautiful moment - all freed, great job!
IMO that's a ghost-tweet. Too coherent, too properly capitalised.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:01 AM   #351
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Heavy, heavy sigh of relief. Salute to the Thai Navy Seal who gave his life in this rescue.
Old 10th July 2018, 06:05 AM   #352
Rolfe

Someone's conflated two stories. Ake has been with the players all along. It was the "head coach", Ake's superior, who got the calls from worried parents and left a game to go look and discovered their bikes and backpacks. He's the one who sent out the alarm.

Ah, that makes sense.
Old 10th July 2018, 06:20 AM   #353
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
U.S. billionaire Elon Musk arrived at the Tham Luang cave to deliver a mini-submarine his team built for the rescue - despite it being rendered impractical by the head of the mission...

...Rescue Chief Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said today that 'although his [Musk's] technology is good and sophisticated it's not practical for this mission.'...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...four-time.html
Old 10th July 2018, 06:41 AM   #354
Bob001
Philosopher

Latest reports from Wash Post and NY Times:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...?noredirect=on
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/w...e-updates.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:42 AM   #355
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Thai Prime Minister is saying that all stories about the boys being sedated are false.
Old 10th July 2018, 07:39 AM   #356
crescent
Master Poster

More likely we'll see a rushed out flimsy Thai production, then an Aussie version highlighting the Aussie diver's contributions, and Lifetime TV will take twelve dollars from their next Bobby Beat Me But Now I'm Getting Better movie and make a made for tv version.
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
It's a rescue, in a hot sweaty jungle, with swimming, and no one has a character in a bikini?

(Maybe I should be proud of you all!!)
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I don't know, he's a bit "ethnic" for current US tastes. Maybe if the film was relocated to the US......
The American version:

In which everyone is American, regardless of where in the world the movie takes place. Girls (boys who need to be rescued are not manly enough for American cinema). Cute teenage girls with a pretty female teacher (possibly played by Jessica Chastain), trapped in a cave that somehow does not get them very dirty, except for little smudges of mud that accentuate the cheekbones.

Rescued by macho military guys, aided by uncouth rednecks (coal miners or oil rig roughnecks) who fight the evil government bureaucracy. One of the military guys is the estranged husband/lover of the cute teacher.

Also, there are terrorists, drug smugglers, or the evil sort of environmentalists, or something like that.

The rescue will somehow need to involve shooting things and blowing things up, to the tune of a good Hans Zimmer score.

Last edited by crescent; 10th July 2018 at 07:41 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 08:12 AM   #357
Rolfe

Aha! About half an hour ago the Thai Navy posted a picture on Facebook of the last four rescuers out of the caves.
Old 10th July 2018, 08:21 AM   #358
Bob001
Philosopher

Aha! About half an hour ago the Thai Navy posted a picture on Facebook of the last four rescuers out of the caves.
Now that the crisis is resolved happily, I'd like to know more about how Saman Gunan died. Considering everything else that was accomplished here by so many people, it's hard to understand why he's not going home too. "Ran out of air" isn't enough of an explanation for the death of an ex-Navy SEAL who apparently was placing air tanks. Equipment failure? Disorientation? Injury? Why was he apparently working alone? Etc.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 08:23 AM   #359
Rolfe

Yes, that puzzles me too. I was just talking to a work colleague about it. He was a volunteer who was ex-Navy, was he a bit rusty, did he take a risk he shouldn't have taken? It's such a tragedy that takes some of the joy out of the successful rescue.
Old 10th July 2018, 08:44 AM   #360
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Maybe the full explanation of his death won't come because it's about his bad judgements and decisions and cave divers don't do that because you get yourself killed. If so, it also puts light on whoever vetted him as being good to go. Somebody said he was "rusty"?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events