ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th July 2018, 08:12 AM   #1
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Still guilty of being black at the pool

Woman calls Police On A Black Couple For Wearing Socks At The Pool.

An apartment complex property manager who thinks armed law enforcement personnel are the right people to enforce pool dress code violations.

Quote:
I asked the woman what was the problem. She stated, “you can’t wear socks in the pool. The rules are only pool attire *as she points at the pool rules*” She goes on to say, “no socks, tshirts, hats, or things of that nature are allowed in the pool.” HER EXACT WORDS! I then notice that there are two guys in her group of friends and BOTH have on hats. Also, the other 25+ people around who don’t have on “proper swimming attire.”

The guy wasn't in the pool.

https://wokesloth.com/pool-patrol-pa...l/distributor/

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 8th July 2018 at 08:16 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 08:35 AM   #2
ddt
Mafia Penguin

And the property manager is fired:
Quote:
In a statement Thursday, Trilogy Real Estate Group confirmed it is investigating the incident, saying:

"Riverset Apartments takes Ms. Porter’s allegations very seriously. We do not support discrimination of any kind."

By 5 p.m., three hours after the story posted on WREG.com, the company sent another message stating the manager in the video had been fired.

"After assessing statements from Ms. Porter and determining that this former employee’s actions violate our company’s policies & beliefs, she is no longer employed by Riverset Apartments."
Good riddance.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 08:46 AM   #3
Diablo
Muse

Maybe we should just have one thread here entitled, "Living while being black".
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 08:51 AM   #4
dann
Philosopher

Only socks? No sandals?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Do these pool monitors not keep up with the internet at all?
Old 8th July 2018, 09:33 AM   #6
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Do these pool monitors not keep up with the internet at all?
Ever since the Civil Rights movement when whites started filling in public swimming pools with cement the pool thing just touches a nerve with some whites. They kind of go crazy about mixed race swimming.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 09:57 AM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Please tell me the police didn't respond.
Old 8th July 2018, 09:58 AM   #8
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Maybe we should just have one thread here entitled, "Living while being black".
Cool. We could cataloge individual anecdotes and compare them with billions of daily interactions between people. Why, we easily have, what, a dozen different 'while black' threads already? We're rolling!

BTW, where do I collect my fame and fortune for the dozens of times I have been harassed by jerks, busybodies and police? My unfair treatment is special too!

#RegularCrapWhileWhite
Old 8th July 2018, 10:20 AM   #9
Mumbles
Philosopher

Like I said before, you see this sort of obvious nonsense in some areas when they're specifically trying to keep black people out - club bouncers will pull similar stunts when the owner tells them to stop lettinh black people in, for example.

"You're violating our dress code."

"But I can clearly see white people inside, also violating the code you're supposedly enforcing."

"That's different/they're with someone/VIPs/etc."
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 10:26 AM   #10
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Like I said before, you see this sort of obvious nonsense in some areas when they're specifically trying to keep black people out - club bouncers will pull similar stunts when the owner tells them to stop lettinh black people in, for example.

"But I can clearly see white people inside, also violating the code you're supposedly enforcing."

Right, but what is the significance of occasional individuals being racist jerks? Systemic groups are much more troubling, and especially police, but individuals?
Old 8th July 2018, 10:31 AM   #11
Thermal
Illuminator

If I were to post video of myself being targeted because of scruffy attire, and attributed it to class discrimination, would the twittersphere get up in arms? Smacked asses and jerks abound. So what?
Old 8th July 2018, 10:33 AM   #12
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I suppose it would be boring to point out that pool socks are actually a thing?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 10:57 AM   #13
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Or point out that he wasn't in the pool?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 12:53 PM   #14
sadhatter
Philosopher

Getting into clubs is easier if your are friends with the owners or bouncer?holy **** how did you get this groundbreaking information?

Try getting in dressed as a punk.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 12:56 PM   #15
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They did (as in they showed up) but no arrests were made. The below article has video.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/07...hood-pool.html

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 02:14 PM   #16
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Right, but what is the significance of occasional individuals being racist jerks? Systemic groups are much more troubling, and especially police, but individuals?
But the point is, this is roughly an example of the same issue. In the club issue, the problem is that the club owners at "white" clubs tell the bouncers outright "I don't want this club to have a lot of black people inside, think of a reason to keep them out". using the dress code (real or made up on the spot) to enforce this is an easy way to do it - exactly as this woman was doing in the OP's story.

In this case, a person who worked for the pool owners is making the exact same excuses, and my guess is that she's done it many times before. They fired this particular person, but will they tell the next one "okay, you can't be a racist on the job." or will they let the next person go ahead regardless? This is one reason I took Starbucks seriously as far as training went - there's always a question of how effective training would go, but it's much more than we saw from Denny's or Waffle House, to name two other chains that had multiple similar problems.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 04:15 PM   #17
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

But the point is, this is roughly an example of the same issue. In the club issue, the problem is that the club owners at "white" clubs tell the bouncers outright "I don't want this club to have a lot of black people inside, think of a reason to keep them out". using the dress code (real or made up on the spot) to enforce this is an easy way to do it - exactly as this woman was doing in the OP's story.

In this case, a person who worked for the pool owners is making the exact same excuses, and my guess is that she's done it many times before. They fired this particular person, but will they tell the next one "okay, you can't be a racist on the job." or will they let the next person go ahead regardless? This is one reason I took Starbucks seriously as far as training went - there's always a question of how effective training would go, but it's much more than we saw from Denny's or Waffle House, to name two other chains that had multiple similar problems.
Yeah but nightclubs aren't really a good example. I'm white and I have been refused entry to nightclubs for no real reason. Bouncers have a rep and history of being jerks to anyone for any reason they like. But if there were stats in the US I believe they probably would support your assertion.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 04:28 PM   #18
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Yeah but nightclubs aren't really a good example. I'm white and I have been refused entry to nightclubs for no real reason. Bouncers have a rep and history of being jerks to anyone for any reason they like. But if there were stats in the US I believe they probably would support your assertion.
There's always an excuse...

I said, specifically, the owner will tell the bouncers flat-out "stop letting black people in." And among the people who state this - the bouncers themselves, when not on the job.
Old 8th July 2018, 09:02 PM   #19
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Sadly, they have too, just as the dispatcher has to send them, no matter how hard they are rolling their eyes.

Not turning up or not dispatching the call would result in them being fired.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 03:32 AM   #20
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Even beyond the moral problems with racism how do people find the energy?

Even if I was racist I'd probably plateau out at:

"Just walking my dog as a normal racist... Oh my God there's a black person in my neighborhood performing a totally legal and/or innocent act! I'm going to go get my phone... which is back at my house. So I'll walk back to my house. Which is like two blocks away. And I'll have to put the dog back up. And I'll probably want to put on a shirt if I'm gonna call the police. But not the stained one I was wearing around the house. This is gonna wind up on a viral cell phone video. So I'll have to dig a shirt out of the closet. Maybe iron it. Then walk back here. Confront the black person. Call the police. Wait for them. But it's like really hot outside. You know what that's too much trouble I'll just go yell the N-word at preteens on Xbox Live."

Obviously I'm being humorous for affect but looking at lot of the recent incidents not only do I never want to be that racist but I also just never want to... care that much about what other people are doing for any reason. It just seems like so much effort to be that angry all the time.

Is it weird that watching one of those incidents by the end I'm as tired as I am angry. It really is an odd mixture of "God you're a hateful SOB" and "Jesus are you just that bored for something to do?"

I mean (and dear lord I hope I phrase this the right way) I can conceptualize, not agree with, not even understand but conceptualize "easy racism," being a racist when it's easy or the path of least resistance. But putting effort into? Racism being like... a second part time job you have? That's both evil and insane.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 08:41 AM   #21
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I said, specifically, the owner will tell the bouncers flat-out "stop letting black people in." And among the people who state this - the bouncers themselves, when not on the job.
To be fair, I know bouncers - white and black - who've admitted that they've been told to cut down or restrict the number of white people, depending on the music of certain events.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 04:29 PM   #22
Mumbles
Philosopher

ANd as a follow up, we've seen stories like this out of Dallas, and this out of DC - both very easy to find using Google. and we've discussed policing black women's hair styles here before as well, in this thread from earlier this year. Again, it's hardly some massive shock to see someone using dress codes and the like as an excuse for bigotry..
Old 9th July 2018, 07:31 PM   #23
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

If I were to post video of myself being targeted because of scruffy attire, and attributed it to class discrimination, would the twittersphere get up in arms? Smacked asses and jerks abound. So what?
I think Brother Eldridge left a word for you at the concierge desk.

How many of these incidents do you need to see before you realize that "bog variety racists" are actually a systemic group? There's been one or more such bits of video evidence posted every week this summer and I'd be willing to be that this is the tip of the iceberg. This **** goes down every day.

The white lady in this video is enforcing the unspoken no-socks rule but there's a fat white blob lounging in the pool with what looks like a can of Fosters and wearing a forbidden article of clothing. Now, I've been in a lot of pools and even our very private community pool here has the first rule - no food or beverages in the swimming area. Ol' Clete is just happily ignoring that and Vera Vigilante doesn't seem to care.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 08:42 PM   #24
Cain
Straussian

You snowflakes need to take it easy. The genius Founding Fathers engaged in good ol' fashioned human trafficking, just so Blacks could have a one way ticket to the American gulag, and now people want to complain that they're not allowed in a pool for wearing socks?? Put 'em back to work!
Old 9th July 2018, 08:51 PM   #25
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

These are all isolated incidents..... no matter how often it happens....... isolated..........
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:30 AM   #26
Wolrab
Illuminator

I'm glad that racist ******** are being pointed out and rightfully scorned by nearly everyone. Marginalize the bastards. As time goes by, there are fewer and fewer incidents.

I also hope that false accusations are treated the same way.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:18 AM   #27
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

How many of these incidents do you need to see before you realize that "bog variety racists" are actually a systemic group? There's been one or more such bits of video evidence posted every week this summer and I'd be willing to be that this is the tip of the iceberg. This **** goes down every day.
Serious question: do you think 'one or more' bits of video evidence a week is significant? In a continent-wide nation with millions of recording cel phones at hand and easily a billion interracial interactions each day? When there are a million or so videos posted daily, we would at least be talking about a fraction of a percent. These 'While Black' vids are less than nothing in terms of significance, in particular when they show the same thing that happens to whiteys.

An anecdote for your consideration (and that's what these vids are, anecdotes): I was denied admission to a House of Blues Sunday gospel brunch, the bouncer claimed my rather stylish leather Vans were 'tennis shoes' and I violated the dress code. I am white. Told a bouncer buddy of mine about it, and he said he would come up with any excuse to deny me, too. Why? Because he said I have the wrong vibe (hostile and aggressive is my resting face, he said). It's not always about color, as these 'While Black' threads just assume. Racism is real. These vids are not examples of it, and I think are doing more harm than good.

Quote:
The white lady in this video is enforcing the unspoken no-socks rule but there's a fat white blob lounging in the pool with what looks like a can of Fosters and wearing a forbidden article of clothing. Now, I've been in a lot of pools and even our very private community pool here has the first rule - no food or beverages in the swimming area. Ol' Clete is just happily ignoring that and Vera Vigilante doesn't seem to care.
Oh, my. Some inconsequential Jethro and Ellie May being twats at a pool? Why is this a matter of national (or in the case of the forum, international) interest? Talk about police profiling blacks, or about minority representation in CEO positions and public office, or something beyond individual hillbillies being drooling knuckle-draggers.
Old 10th July 2018, 06:19 AM   #28
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
I'm glad that racist ******** are being pointed out and rightfully scorned by nearly everyone. Marginalize the bastards. As time goes by, there are fewer and fewer incidents.

Amen, except that the racists will always be around. They will be to varying degrees out-in-the-open, but yes, call them out.

Last edited by Thermal; 10th July 2018 at 06:21 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:23 AM   #29
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
These are all isolated incidents..... no matter how often it happens....... isolated..........
Well yeah.

It's a world of over 7 billion people. It's a country of over 325 million. The news could run a unique clip of a new racial incident every 5 minutes for a week and it would not be statistically meaningful.

It's equally validity to look at it as "In a country where there must be millions of interactions between people of difference races a day (and which near literally everyone carries a camera on them at all time to record anything that goes wrong) all we have is a dozen or so instances."

Old 10th July 2018, 06:32 AM   #30
ahhell
Graduate Poster

The issue there is that one of these videos posted every day proves there are at least 365 racists in America. That's not especially useful or informative. There is almost always a way to explain it away as well. Anecdotes, just aren't that useful or informative but they are often inflammatory. There is however lots of data that supports the negative effects of racism on African Americans.
I tend to also question the utility of posting a new, Blanking while black thread, every day. As noted by others, we have know idea how often similar things happen to white people because nobody cares, white people generally just assume its the result of a general ******* which isn't a story. That same explanation may also be true when it happens to a black person but its generally assumed to be a racist *******.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Even beyond the moral problems with racism how do people find the energy?
This always astounds. I can image a person being racist enough to leave the pool but who has the motivation to call the police?

Edit to add:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post

That's a good point.

Last edited by ahhell; 10th July 2018 at 06:34 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:48 AM   #31
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well yeah.

It's a world of over 7 billion people. It's a country of over 325 million. The news could run a unique clip of a new racial incident every 5 minutes for a week and it would not be statistically meaningful.

It's equally validity to look at it as "In a country where there must be millions of interactions between people of difference races a day (and which near literally everyone carries a camera on them at all time to record anything that goes wrong) all we have is a dozen or so instances."
And of course you can't trust lying blacks that these are representative of what happens to them on a very regular basis. They can not be trusted.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:50 AM   #32
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

So when we finally get to what number? Y'all are gonna continue to hand-wave away these incidents until there are, what, 100,000,000 videos?

This smacks of the defense of Trump that we've never actually seen him burning a cross or throwing stones at a bus full of inner city kids so he can't be a racist.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:58 AM   #33
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So when we finally get to what number?
We do, not just from random viral videos.

We have statistics that actually represent real world things; income disparage, incarceration rates, etc, etc. More then enough to prove 'Racism still exists and is a problem."

Those matter, not .00000001% of random encounters.

Old 10th July 2018, 06:59 AM   #34
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

There's always an excuse...

I recall years ago there was a couple well known clubs around here that got in trouble for that. They banned things that are more likely to be worn by black people (i.e. Timberland boots), which is legally OK, but then it became clear they were only applying those dress code rules to black people. As part of an investigation, white guys would go in wearing the "prohibited" clothes and get in no problem. Black guys dressed similarly in the "prohibited" clothes would get immediately stopped.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 07:00 AM   #35
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

We have statistics that actually represent real world things; income disparage, incarceration rates, etc, etc. More then enough to prove 'Racism still exists and is a problem."

No matter how representative those encounters are. Because they don't result in income disparity they clearly never happen and if they do don't mean anything.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 07:00 AM   #36
ahhell
Graduate Poster

So when we finally get to what number? Y'all are gonna continue to hand-wave away these incidents until there are, what, 100,000,000 videos?

This smacks of the defense of Trump that we've never actually seen him burning a cross or throwing stones at a bus full of inner city kids so he can't be a racist.
The problem is that we will never get to that number but we have loads of actual evidence that shows what anecdotes appear to show.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 07:04 AM   #37
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think that addresses the argument?

If something isn't statistically significant it's not statistically significant. How many would be? A lot more than are being broadcast on the news.

Would you make that argument about any non-political topic? "All these kids are getting autism these days, it's on the rise, just look at the news stories about it!". We're all scientifically literate about those topics, can't we also apply our understanding of statistics to politics as well?

ETA Just in case I gave the wrong impression: I think at least some of "while black" incidents have been examples of racism, and the problem of racism of course has evidence for it other than these videos, and is indeed a problem. My point is only in relation to generalising these specific examples to mean something about a trend.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Roboramma; 10th July 2018 at 07:32 AM.
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 07:05 AM   #38
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Think of these videos as the user-friendly side of those stats, then.

If you agree, as any intelligent person should, that racism exists, what is the complaint, specifically? That anecdotes are not scientific? We all know that. Culturally, I think this sort of exposure is called for. I know a shed load of white folks who say racist things when there are no P.O.C. around. I've mentioned before that I have a mellifluous Italian surname and have been privy to numerous anti-Semitic comments by people who thought I was a Guido and not a Heeb.

Old 10th July 2018, 07:09 AM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If you agree, as any intelligent person should, that racism exists, what is the complaint, specifically?
To oversimplify it somewhat, because symbolic but dramatic examples being needed to get people to accept raw data isn't something we should be encouraging.

Old 10th July 2018, 07:24 AM   #40
Thermal
Illuminator

What number to prove what? That some random individuals are racist jerks? We know. The 'while black' vids don't do much to add to the discussion of very real prejudice.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events