ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Christine Blasey Ford , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th July 2018, 06:13 PM   #1
Fudbucker
Philosopher

New SCOTUS Judge

Brett Kavanaugh. In my opinion, the best of a bad lot (if you're a liberal).

Reaction?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:17 PM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post

Reaction?
Not great, could be worse. Kind of get the impression they're playing the odds on getting one more nomination in during Trump's term and are saving the "big" fight for that.

Not the hard line anti-abortionist people feared, he's at worst a "middle of the roader."

On the young side, which I expected. He's easily got 30 years at least of service in him.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 9th July 2018 at 06:19 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:19 PM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Very telling is this:

Quote:
Believes presidents should be protected from lawsuits and criminal investigations: The Starr Report to Congress "outlined information that potentially constituted grounds for the impeachment of President Clinton," as the Almanac of the Federal Judiciary notes. And yet, Kavanaugh wrote this in 2009 in the Minnesota Law Review about presidential investigations, which is sure to please President Trump:

"Even the lesser burdens of a criminal investigation— including preparing for questioning by criminal investigators — are time-consuming and distracting. Like civil suits, criminal investigations take the President's focus away from his or her responsibilities to the people. And a President who is concerned about an ongoing criminal investigation is almost inevitably going to do a worse job as President."
NPR: (Also has a good and fair general overview of him) https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62616...ntent=20180709

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:22 PM   #4
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Quote:
5/9/2006 Schumer: "Do you consider Roe v. Wade to be an abomination?"
USER-CREATED CLIP
JULY 5, 2018 Kavanaugh: "If confirmed to the D.C. Circuit, I would follow Roe v. Wade faithfully and fully. That would be binding precedent of the Court. It's been decided by the" #SCOTUS
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c47385...de-abomination
Old 9th July 2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump chose someone he thinks will protect him if needed.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:26 PM   #6
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Exactly.
Old 9th July 2018, 06:29 PM   #7
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Superb choice.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:35 PM   #8
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post

Reaction?
Why won't the zombie corpse of ****** 90's politics die already. I mean who didn’t want discussions of the Starr investigation dominating confirmation hearings.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:37 PM   #9
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if he got this guy's oath of loyalty on tape. This pick is all about protecting himself from the law.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:48 PM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
This pick is all about protecting himself from the law.
//Trying to put a silver lining on it// Blessing in disguise. He picked a guy solely on how much it benefited him, so didn't pick some hardcore ultraconservative hard liner.

Again my gut is this is a softball pitch and they are saving the big fight for the next one.

I hate to be this cynical but... Ginsburg. 85 years old, two time cancer survivor, arguably the most liberal member of the court and hits all the Republican triggers. When she steps down or dies... that replacement is gonna be hard core conservative and that's the one they are going fight long and dirty to get in. They are saving their political and PR capital for that one.

Old 9th July 2018, 06:50 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Very telling is this:

NPR: (Also has a good and fair general overview of him) https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/62616...ntent=20180709
Is that a very unusual legal theory?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:51 PM   #12
Fudbucker
Philosopher

//Trying to put a silver lining on it// Blessing in disguise. He picked a guy solely on how much it benefited him, so didn't pick some hardcore ultraconservative hard liner.

Again my gut is this is a softball pitch and they are saving the big fight for the next one.

I hate to be this cynical but... Ginsburg. 85 years old, two time cancer survivor, arguably the most liberal member of the court and hits all the Republican triggers. When she steps down or dies... that replacement is gonna be hard core conservative and that's the one they are going fight long and dirty to get in. They are saving their political and PR capital for that one.
Unless something really weird comes out, I think we (liberals) dodged a bullet. And I think if Trump is subpoened, SCOTUS will support it, and probably unanimously.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:57 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Not a doubt in my mind.
Old 9th July 2018, 07:02 PM   #14
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Agreed! For Trump, the fact Kavanaugh has clearly stated he does not think a sitting president should be investigated or indicted is what Trump was really after. That Kavanaugh is not a hardcore ultraconservative will likely get him the votes he needs from (the couple of remaining) moderate Republicans and maybe even a few Dems up for re-election in red states.

The big fight will come when Ginsburg dies or retires. If Trump is re-elected (how I hate the mere thought of it!), she will definitely be replaced during his presidency.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 9th July 2018 at 07:04 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 07:04 PM   #15
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Kavanaugh will probably vote to overturn Roe vs Wade if a case comes up. After all, he tried to make an undocumented girl not have access to abortion while in DHHS custody.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 07:04 PM   #16
Fudbucker
Philosopher

He gave a great speech. He has a great backstory.

Last edited by Fudbucker; 9th July 2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 9th July 2018, 07:06 PM   #17
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Kavanaugh will probably vote to overturn Roe vs Wade if a case comes up. After all, he tried to make an undocumented girl not have access to abortion while in DHHS custody.
They’re never gonna formally overturn Roe. In our era of bad faith what you do with prior precedent is render it useless while leaving it formally in place so you (and your bad faith defenders) can claim it was not overturned and that saying so is shrill nonsense.

Signed your friend, Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act
This seems like the more accurate outcome.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 07:06 PM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The one thing is of all the three branches SCOTUS is the one that marches to party line the least. Both parties have nominated safe, presumably "on their side" Justices only to have them break rank at least some of the time.

Old 9th July 2018, 07:19 PM   #19
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Why won't the zombie corpse of ****** 90's politics die already. I mean who didn’t want discussions of the Starr investigation dominating confirmation hearings.
Don't forget Vince Foster conspiracy theories.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 07:21 PM   #21
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Don't forget Vince Foster conspiracy theories.
Old 9th July 2018, 07:27 PM   #22
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

This is my biggest problem with him. He tried to deny a legal medical procedure to a person for no reason other than that the current federal administration doesn't like it.

Unfortunately, he'll get pushed through. A couple Democratic senators will get to yell at him for a few minutes, but he'll go through.

ETA: On the facts, a judge had already found that the pregnant 17 year-old girl met the exception to the parental consent law. Kavanaugh didn't dissent based on her age or lack of parental consent. He specifically stated that the US government had the right to obstruct actions it found morally offensive.

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 9th July 2018 at 07:33 PM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 08:27 PM   #23
Tero
Graduate Poster

So no more cakes for the gay weddings.
Forward to 2020: what gay weddings? What abortion?
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 10:17 PM   #24
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

2 more reasons people should be a little concerned about Kavanaugh...

- He is against against Net neutrality (although the FCC is repealing net neutrality, there are some court cases that may end up in the supreme court.)

- He sees no problem with the NSA's data collection of phone meta-data

I really have the wonder about the logical disconnect in the brains of some of Trump's supporters (such as the type that read InfoWars.) Here they are, so concerned about government conspiracies and overreach, yet they support Trump, who ended up nominating a judge who is likely to allow such overreach to continue.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/09/br...eutrality-nsa/

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 10:30 PM   #25
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So now a majority of Supreme Court Judges belong to the Federalist Society - no problem there, right?
Old 10th July 2018, 12:26 AM   #26
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The one thing is of all the three branches SCOTUS is the one that marches to party line the least. Both parties have nominated safe, presumably "on their side" Justices only to have them break rank at least some of the time.
Souter is the most recent prime example, although I should also give a nod to Chief Justice Roberts, who went liberal on the most important SC decision of his career to date.

It will be amusing to hear all the Democratic senators blathering on about the importance of stare decisis over the next week or two. Never mind that many of the important cases decided over the last 60 years or so have ignored historical precedent. Brown v. Board of Education is simply the most obvious example--would anybody care to contend that Plessy should have remained the law of the land, and segregation in education continued? How about Dred Scott or Koramatsu?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:13 AM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Except for him deciding the wrong way on everything there's nothing to object to.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:36 AM   #28
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Good.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:40 AM   #29
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Good.
If she'd had a baby in the US it would have been a citizen, and then she could stay.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:40 AM   #30
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

They won't overturn Roe, just hollow it out.

They will, however, rubber-stamp any and all GOP gerrymandering and anti-LGBT discrimination.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:42 AM   #31
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If she'd had a baby in the US it would have been a citizen, and then she could stay.
I just meant overturning roe. It was a bad decision. We should fight for a pro choice amendment.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:46 AM   #32
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I just meant overturning roe. It was a bad decision. We should fight for a pro choice amendment.
Why?
The Constitution doesn't define fertilized oocytes as people, only religious nutjobs do.
Old 10th July 2018, 06:20 AM   #33
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why?
The Constitution doesn't define fertilized oocytes as people, only religious nutjobs do.
Which is why that is a legislative question, not a constitutional one, unfortunately.
Old 10th July 2018, 06:30 AM   #34
Drewbot
Philosopher

Has anyone gone from literally 'Hitler' to 'Predictable and Practical' in two years?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/09/polit...nee/index.html
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:42 AM   #35
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

The baby could stay, but they could still deport the mother. It happens. "You have to leave, your kid can stay." Unsurprisingly, many illegal parents tend to take their children with them. "Hardship on an American citizen" isn't what it used to be.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:54 AM   #36
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
So no more cakes for the gay weddings.
Forward to 2020: what gay weddings? What abortion?
2024 sure is nice that all the gays are in those nice camps next to the mexicans.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:55 AM   #37
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Not if Trump has his way.

On the pluss side does that mean we can strip citizenship from his kids and grandkids?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:59 AM   #38
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Has anyone gone from literally 'Hitler' to 'Predictable and Practical' in two years?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/09/polit...nee/index.html
You're seeing hypocrisy where there is none. He's predictably a dictator wannabe.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 07:03 AM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
The baby could stay, but they could still deport the mother. It happens. "You have to leave, your kid can stay." Unsurprisingly, many illegal parents tend to take their children with them. "Hardship on an American citizen" isn't what it used to be.
Not to defend this in anyway, but the fact that the United States practices "Birthright" citizenship when most other major developed western democracies don't is a factor in all this.

Why Jus Soli is the default on the American continent but nearly unheard of in Europe, Asia, or Africa is not a crazy question to ask.

Old 10th July 2018, 08:24 AM   #40
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It will be amusing to hear all the Democratic senators blathering on about the importance of stare decisis over the next week or two. Never mind that many of the important cases decided over the last 60 years or so have ignored historical precedent. Brown v. Board of Education is simply the most obvious example--would anybody care to contend that Plessy should have remained the law of the land, and segregation in education continued? How about Dred Scott or Koramatsu?
First of all, I think there is a difference between a precedent that EXTENDS human rights/equality and one that limits human rights/equality. American society values (as well as laws and judicial rulings) have given more freedoms over the years and some people don't really want to lose that.

Secondly, are you actually saying its perfectly acceptable to (for example) overturn Roe v. Wade because other historical precedents have been overturned in the past?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics