ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Christine Blasey Ford , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 03:24 PM   #201
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Does anyone really believe the Democrats (or the Republicans) care what is in those documents?
I care.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 03:38 PM   #202
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
They aren't looking for themselves; they're looking to convince some (two) Republicans. I don't think at this point they're foolish enough to try to shame any of them, but I do think they're trying to find something a somewhat moral Republican could use as political cover to oppose the nomination.

That hypothetical Republican could cite the Republican's own arguments about nominations already, and if it is found that he did commit perjury during his initial confirmation provably, then this hypothetical Republican could make the argument 'we have plenty of good potential nominees who don't lie'.

Maybe. After what the GOP has shown itself to be, I doubt any living Republican would take that risk now. That GOP supporters are throwing such hypocritical shade at Dems for trying to do the most basic due diligence does not bode well for reasoning or shame working on them.
Nonsense. The GOP is not entirely made of Trump enthusiasts. Two could be swayed (Collins of Maine is a totally independent voice, leaning to confirm, but could be swayed).
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 03:39 PM   #203
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I care.
Just to be clear: Canadians don't count. Duh.

Good to see you back but duh.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 05:42 PM   #204
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I care.
I should have specified I meant the DC politicians.
eeyore1954 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 09:47 PM   #205
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Lindsay Graham is making an effing ass hole of himself in the Kavanaugh hearing. He's going on and on about how all the partisan divide happened recently and Graham is so sorry all these appointments are not getting 90 votes blah blah blah, elections have consequences blah blah blah.

Not one ******* word about Obama's right to appoint Merrick Garland and how Garland should have gotten 90 votes.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 5th September 2018 at 09:50 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 10:00 PM   #206
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Rubio's argument is that because we all knew a SCOTUS judge was in the balance with the 2016 election, and because Trump put out his Federalist list of candidates, therefore the US public voted a mandate for Trump's nominees.

I'm sorry alt-whiters, that ain't how it works. There was Russian interference, decades of false attacks against Clinton, misogyny, the EC, Trump's convincing con, and Comey's interference. Just because McConnell pulled some unethical shenanigans and claimed the election was going to be about the open SCOTUS seat, does not mean that was the one critical factor all voters were focused on. It disgusts me to hear yet more lies.
Exactly. There was the EC. 538 people get to vote for president and they cast a fair vote.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 10:06 PM   #207
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Good for him.
I have no respect for anyone who cannot entertain and discuss hypothetical questions.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 10:08 PM   #208
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsay Graham is making an effing ass hole of himself in the Kavanaugh hearing. He's going on and on about how all the partisan divide happened recently and Graham is so sorry all these appointments are not getting 90 votes blah blah blah, elections have consequences blah blah blah.

Not one ******* word about Obama's right to appoint Merrick Garland and how Garland should have gotten 90 votes.

A) he didnt have a right to appoint. He had the power to nominate.

B) Garland didn't get a vote. He may have received 90 votes if he did.
Old 5th September 2018, 10:28 PM   #209
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Look on the bright side. Kavanaugh is 53 years old. Best case scenario, he'll only be on the court for at most 40 years.

"It's one day. Half a day, really. I mean you subtract showers and meals, it's like twenty minutes."
-- Jerry speaking to Elaine
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 10:30 PM   #210
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post

B) Garland didn't get a vote. He may have received 90 votes if he did.
I'm sorry that you missed the point of my post. Better luck next time.
Old 5th September 2018, 10:31 PM   #211
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sorry that you missed the point of my post. Better luck next time.
You don't get a straussian meaning in your post when your words are so very, very wrong.
Old 6th September 2018, 12:22 AM   #212
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1037514830490607617

Quote:
@senkamalaharris asks if Judge Kavanaugh has discussed Mueller Investigation with anyone at Kasowitz Benson Torres law firm.

#Kavanaugh: "I would like to know the person you're thinking of."

Sen. Harris: "I think you're thinking of someone and you don't want to tell us."
Video embedded in tweet. Video of the full exchange embedded in the following tweet.

Oh and, for those curious, the law firm in question has 7 people in DC

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 6th September 2018 at 12:25 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 02:22 AM   #213
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I should have specified I meant the DC politicians.
I know. I was illustrating that many people care, and that therefore we can expect some politicians to care as well.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 02:23 AM   #214
Belz...
Fiend God

If you want to get pedant, and I know you do, Congress doesn't have the right to appoint, either. It has the power to confirm.

Old 6th September 2018, 03:06 AM   #215
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Video of the full exchange embedded in the following tweet.
Note how he refuses to give a straight answer to the question of whether he's spoken to anybody other than his fellow judges about Mueller's investigation. The answer, however, is obviously "yes", because if it were "no" then he wouldn't need to know who worked at Trump's lawyers' firm in order to say that he'd not spoken to anybody there about it.
Old 6th September 2018, 06:02 AM   #216
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I have no respect for anyone who cannot entertain and discuss hypothetical questions.
that is not all he said, now was it

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 06:05 AM   #217
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

that is not all he said, now was it
It is. He didn't answer those hypotheticals. That is a disqualifying failure as a human being.
Old 6th September 2018, 06:05 AM   #218
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I see the "spontaneous" "protesters" at the hearing were getting paid cash after performances.

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 06:11 AM   #219
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

It is. He didn't answer those hypotheticals. That is a disqualifying failure as a human being.
Your answer "it is" is a lie.

answering hypothetical is not a defining feature of a human being.

Refusal to entertain incomplete hypothetical is the duty of a judge. Actual Controversy:

An actual controversy is a constitutional requirement (Found in found in Art. III, Section 2, Clause 1) for federal courts that demands there be a real dispute between two parties capable of being resolved by the court, as opposed to a hypothetical case brought in an attempt to get the court to issue an advisory opinion.

And those are, as they say, the facts

-M. Avenatti
Old 6th September 2018, 06:15 AM   #220
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Your answer "it is" is a lie.

answering hypothetical is not a defining feature of a human being.

Refusal to entertain incomplete hypothetical is the duty of a judge. Actual Controversy:

An actual controversy is a constitutional requirement (Found in found in Art. III, Section 2, Clause 1) for federal courts that demands there be a real dispute between two parties capable of being resolved by the court, as opposed to a hypothetical case brought in an attempt to get the court to issue an advisory opinion.

And those are, as they say, the facts
It is the absolutely defining feature and what I primarily judge every human being by. This isnt a hypothetical case brought before him. It isn't a case. It is a hypothetical. His refusal to answer it is a disqualifying moral failing.
Old 6th September 2018, 06:18 AM   #221
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

It is the absolutely defining feature and what I primarily judge every human being by. This isnt a hypothetical case brought before him. It isn't a case. It is a hypothetical. His refusal to answer it is a disqualifying moral failing.
lolz, k.

my defining feature is when people deliberately lie about what he said (protip: he said he had never researched the issue, and it had never come before him, which you should have mentioned)

-M. Avenatti
Old 6th September 2018, 06:21 AM   #222
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

lolz, k.

my defining feature is when people deliberately lie about what he said (protip: he said he had never researched the issue, and it had never come before him, which you should have mentioned)
I didnt like about what he said. He didn't entertain the hypothetical. None of those are adequate reasons to not entertain it.
Old 6th September 2018, 06:26 AM   #223
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I see the "spontaneous" "protesters" at the hearing were getting paid cash after performances.
Well, someone who re-tweets Fox News and Sarah Sanders has claimed that protesters were being paid on the way in, anyway.
Old 6th September 2018, 06:26 AM   #224
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Performance art, with zero impact on the outcome.

Might as well start calling him Justice Kavanaugh, it's a done deal. Come October he'll have already been sworn in.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 06:33 AM   #225
Bob001
Philosopher

Who says? Prove it.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 07:05 AM   #226
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure he can. But it does no actual good to do so in this context. These hearings are not actually a setting for reasoned discussion and nuanced consideration. They are an attempt to generate soundbites which can be used for partisan political purposes.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 07:07 AM   #227
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I'm sure he can. But it does no actual good to do so in this context. These hearings are not actually a setting for reasoned discussion and nuanced consideration. They are an attempt to generate soundbites which can be used for partisan political purposes.
And his unwillingness to take the bait is disqualifying.
Old 6th September 2018, 07:16 AM   #228
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Who says?
This guy
Old 6th September 2018, 07:17 AM   #229
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

And his unwillingness to take the bait is disqualifying.
That is a nonsensical standard.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 07:19 AM   #230
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

That is a nonsensical standard.
You are free to your opinion.
Old 6th September 2018, 07:35 AM   #231
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Well, someone who re-tweets Fox News and Sarah Sanders has claimed that protesters were being paid on the way in, anyway.
Oh man, there was a time when people here from all sides of the political divide would rush to point out that is a blatant ad hominem fallacy.

The someone who retweets Fox news has actual pictures of the actual cash changing hands and the guy actually handing out the cash admitted he was doing it.

But the guy who took the pictures RETWEETS FOX NEWS FOLKS.

-M. Avenatti
Old 6th September 2018, 07:39 AM   #232
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You are free to your opinion.
As are you, obviously. But that's not much of a defense of your claim.
Old 6th September 2018, 07:48 AM   #233
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Such a weird conspiracy theory.

Trump is very unpopular and so is Kavanaugh as a SCOTUS nominee.

Why do conservative conspiracy theorists imagine the need for paid protesters?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 07:49 AM   #234
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

As are you, obviously. But that's not much of a defense of your claim.
I don't think I have to defend why I do and do not respect.
Old 6th September 2018, 07:52 AM   #235
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think I have to defend why I do and do not respect.
Sure, you don't have to But it helps if you want to persuade other people to adopt a similar outlook, or even understand why you take the position that you do. If you're not interested in communicating more deeply than just announcing your feelings, I'm not sure why you're even posting here.
Old 6th September 2018, 07:55 AM   #236
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, you don't have to But it helps if you want to persuade other people to adopt a similar outlook, or even understand why you take the position that you do. If you're not interested in communicating more deeply than just announcing your feelings, I'm not sure why you're even posting here.
Oops. I let my excitement get the best of me. Yes, I have no interest in persuading anyone on this point and retract discussion of it.
Old 6th September 2018, 07:56 AM   #237
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/senatorleahy/sta...15316375134210

Quote:
THREAD: Between 2001 and 2003, Republican Senate staffers hacked into and stole 4,670 files on controversial Bush judicial nominees from 6 Democrats, including me. This scandal amounted to a digital Watergate, not unlike Russia’s hacking of the DNC.
Old 6th September 2018, 07:58 AM   #238
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Cory Booker is having a sensational hissy fit.

And then he will go running back to the email system and immediately start asking for money, again.

******* snake.

-M. Avenatti
Old 6th September 2018, 07:59 AM   #239
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The someone who retweets Fox news has actual pictures of the actual cash changing hands and the guy actually handing out the cash admitted he was doing it.
Well, the actual claim is that she said that she was giving people money to pay off fines

For someone who is so het up about this story, you seem to consistently get the details wrong. Even after I linked to the source of the claims for you.
Old 6th September 2018, 08:05 AM   #240
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the actual claim is that she said that she was giving people money to pay off fines

For someone who is so het up about this story, you seem to consistently get the details wrong. Even after I linked to the source of the claims for you.
Slow golf clap, wow, every single thing I wrote was correct, except it was a woman who admitted it, not the man photographed actually giving the cash out.

Zoinks that is a real game changer!

SENSATIONAL.

Dream

-M. Avenatti
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics