ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brett Kavanaugh , Congressional hearings , Supreme Court nominees , Trump controversies

Old 6th September 2018, 08:27 AM   #241
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Slow golf clap, wow, every single thing I wrote was correct, except it was a woman who admitted it, not the man photographed actually giving the cash out.

Zoinks that is a real game changer!

SENSATIONAL.

Dream
You also claimed that they were getting paid afterwards, whereas the claim was that they were getting paid beforehand. And that "the guy" had admitted to paying protesters for "performances", whereas she actually claimed to be giving cash out to pay fines for protesters.

Perhaps if you'd linked to (or even read) the source of the story yourself you'd have reported the story correctly?
Old 6th September 2018, 08:54 AM   #242
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Sure, you don't have to But it helps if you want to persuade other people to adopt a similar outlook, or even understand why you take the position that you do. If you're not interested in communicating more deeply than just announcing your feelings, I'm not sure why you're even posting here.
Huh, that reminds me of something...

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 09:02 AM   #243
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
You also claimed that they were getting paid afterwards, whereas the claim was that they were getting paid beforehand. And that "the guy" had admitted to paying protesters for "performances", whereas she actually claimed to be giving cash out to pay fines for protesters.

Perhaps if you'd linked to (or even read) the source of the story yourself you'd have reported the story correctly?
DREAM! man, you are really nailing it on the head there!

cash payments to "protesters," CONFIRMED

And all from a guy who retweets FOX NEWS as you so fallaciously pointed out!

Looking forward minor quibbles about the story, and lets see how long you and i can keep this bad Oscar alive.

Please don' throw me in that there Briar patch!
Old 6th September 2018, 09:08 AM   #244
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Cory Booker: full scale meltdown on Senate floor, releases confidential documents which prove:

Brett Kavanaugh didn't want to racially profile people after 9/11.

GENIUS MOVE "Spartacus."

What a ******* moron, the Dems in the Senate are clueless.
Old 6th September 2018, 09:13 AM   #245
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

cash payments to "protesters," CONFIRMED
Correct. That is what Schindler claims, which is different from what you claimed. Glad you're finally getting a handle on what the story really is. Well done.
Old 6th September 2018, 09:17 AM   #246
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Correct. That is what Schindler claims, which is different from what you claimed. Glad you're finally getting a handle on what the story really is. Well done.
Tryna find paradise, I ain't tryna see that light
I been prayin' through life, but some things just ain't right
We ball every Saturday night, takin' private long flights
I been covered in ice, money stay on my mind
Gotta get paid, gon' get paid
Gon' get paid, gon' get paid, ooh

PREACH ON!

Laid back (with my mind on my money and my money on my mind).

GETTING PAID!

Good god y'all!
Old 6th September 2018, 09:25 AM   #247
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The single greatest moment today?

Cory Booker Declaring That He is SPARTACUS!

Oh man.
Old 6th September 2018, 09:30 AM   #248
dann
Philosopher

You also claimed that they were getting paid afterwards, whereas the claim was that they were getting paid beforehand.

Is that what John Oliver calls astroturfing?!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

(I'm asking because I'm trying to understand the concept.)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 09:43 AM   #249
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Oh mercy, I am Spartacus!

No, me!
Old 6th September 2018, 10:13 AM   #250
Bogative
Graduate Poster

I see the "spontaneous" "protesters" at the hearing were getting paid cash after performances.
Surely Harris and Booker have direct deposit for their salaries.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 10:17 AM   #251
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Senate Judiciary Staffers are now saying that the documents that "Spartacus" "heroically" "released" this morning were cleared for release last night.

So, not only is he a grandstanding piece of ****, he is a lying, grandstanding piece of ****.

Old 6th September 2018, 10:27 AM   #252
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

All this devotion to Dear Leader is touching.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 10:27 AM   #253
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Surely Harris and Booker have direct deposit for their salaries.
Why do imagine protesters need to be paid to protest people and things that huge swaths of the populace find objectionable?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 10:30 AM   #254
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Oh, he's just a means to an end.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 10:30 AM   #255
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Why do imagine protesters need to be paid to protest people and things that huge swaths of the populace find objectionable?
Nothing to imagine, they ARE getting paid.
Old 6th September 2018, 10:50 AM   #256
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Oh no! Not an asterisk! Won't that totally invalidate all his judgements?
A bullet would.

Just like your supreme leader suggested explicitly on the campaign.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 10:51 AM   #257
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1037730276846252033

Quote:
Brett Kavanaugh says he hasn't had any "inappropriate" discussions about the Mueller investigation as a nominee, which is an interesting way of saying he has discussed the Mueller investigation since Trump nominated him.
Old 6th September 2018, 10:52 AM   #258
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Stop bringing up Obama he has nothing to do with this
Old 6th September 2018, 10:53 AM   #259
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
A bullet would.

And just like you suggested with that comment.

You and Trump are of like minds LOL
Old 6th September 2018, 10:59 AM   #260
johnny karate

Nothing to imagine, they ARE getting paid.
Assuming for the sake of argument that your conspiracy theory is true, why do you think protesters need to be paid to protest?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 11:00 AM   #261
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Assuming for the sake of argument that your conspiracy theory is true, why do you think protesters need to be paid to protest?
Nothing to assume, they are getting paid, so the proper question is why?

Endeavor to answer it.
Old 6th September 2018, 11:10 AM   #262
johnny karate

Nothing to assume, they are getting paid, so the proper question is why?

Endeavor to answer it.
It's not my conspiracy theory, nor am I the one proffering questionable, circumstantial evidence as proof of said conspiracy theory, so the question remains yours to answer.

And I get that you can't.

Very few conspiracy theorists have the capacity to see past their own cognitive dissonance to the underlying contradictions at the heart of their beliefs.

But I thought I'd try to nudge you in that direction anyway. I guess I'm just an optimist.
Old 6th September 2018, 11:15 AM   #263
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

It's not my conspiracy theory, nor am I the one proffering questionable, circumstantial evidence as proof of said conspiracy theory, so the question remains yours to answer.

And I get that you can't.

Very few conspiracy theorists have the capacity to see past their own cognitive dissonance to the underlying contradictions at the heart of their beliefs.

But I thought I'd try to nudge you in that direction anyway. I guess I'm just an optimist.
Oh man, that is some next level fallacious argument there, and i strongly commend you for it!

Actual picture of actual 'protester" getting actual cash money from an actual leader of the actual protest you dismiss as teh "conspiracy."

That is actually in the top five greatest posts I have seen today.

Gosh, all I have to do is post and people come slamming into the thread repeatedly making my points for me time after time. Gorgeous!

say, can we talk about these protesters getting PAID some more!
Old 6th September 2018, 11:28 AM   #264
johnny karate

Actual picture of actual 'protester" getting actual cash money from an actual leader of the actual protest you dismiss as teh "conspiracy."
"Spoke to the protest organizer. She confirmed handing out cash, but said they intend cash to be used to pay fines they know come when protestors break the law."

Money to pay potential fines =/= compensation for protesting.
Old 6th September 2018, 11:31 AM   #265
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
A bullet would.

No real significance to the asterisk, then?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 11:33 AM   #266
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Nonsense. The GOP is not entirely made of Trump enthusiasts. Two could be swayed (Collins of Maine is a totally independent voice, leaning to confirm, but could be swayed).
They don't have to be Trump enthusiasts. In fact, I bet many hate the man. However, they are constrained by what his election, and most importantly continued very high levels of support by Republicans, indicates.

You have one there. I don't think she will be (has she even objected to the absolutely craven procedural double-standard from the rest of the GOP yet?), but your view isn't merit less. Did you have another?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 11:35 AM   #267
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Money to pay potential fines =/= compensation for protesting.
Yes, johnny, it is. That may serve as their justification for the compensation, and you can decide for yourself whether you think that justification is valid, but it is still absolutely compensation for protesting.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 11:39 AM   #268
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Cory ‘Spartacus’ Booker succeeds in proving Kavanaugh is against racial profiling

I don’t know if the Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee are trying to self-destruct, or if they’re just frazzled because they have no way to stop the Kavanaugh nomination. Either way, they’re embarrassing themselves on a spectacular level.

At one point during the proceedings Booker dared Republicans to throw him out, comparing himself to Spartacus in the process. If you’re wondering how that makes any sense, you’re not alone.

In the end, Booker released the confidential emails and succeeded in proving not only that he didn’t understand Spartacus, but that Brett Kavanaugh is against racial profiling.

Thank you for making this clear Senator Booker.

https://canadafreepress.com/article/...t-racial-profi (Sept 6, 2018)

I didn't know that Spartacus dared the Roman Republic to throw him out. Learn something new everyday.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 11:39 AM   #269
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I have no respect for anyone who cannot entertain and discuss hypothetical questions.
It's actually even worse than just refusing to entertain hypothetical questions (I would sometimes disagree with you and say that depending on the situation 'I don't know enough to say' is a perfectly reasonable answer), in that not only was the hypothetical something he has talked about and damn well should have been already thinking about if he were a worthwhile nominee, but he also refused to discuss his own writings and opinions he's expressed.

But it doesn't surprise me, and probably doesn't surprise you, that those posters who are unconcerned with perjury during confirmation hearings are also unconcerned with if the judge has the intellectual fortitude to defend their stated legal opinions.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 11:42 AM   #270
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure he can. But it does no actual good to do so in this context. These hearings are not actually a setting for reasoned discussion and nuanced consideration. They are an attempt to generate soundbites which can be used for partisan political purposes.
Your objection to them doing their job because it helps them politically to do their job is very telling.

If it is provable that he committed perjury during his previous confirmation, would you support him still?
Old 6th September 2018, 11:51 AM   #271
johnny karate

Yes, johnny, it is. That may serve as their justification for the compensation, and you can decide for yourself whether you think that justification is valid, but it is still absolutely compensation for protesting.
No, it's not. It's money to cover costs they incur while voluntarily protesting. See, how compensation usually works is that you make money, not break even.

But then again, I don't know where you work. Maybe you're given just enough money to cover the costs you incur while doing your job, and you consider that "compensation". If so, I regret to inform you that you're working for free.

But since you decided to jump in and defend this conspiracy theory, perhaps you can answer this question:

Why do protesters need to be paid to protest?

Last edited by johnny karate; 6th September 2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 6th September 2018, 11:58 AM   #272
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

According to the WAPO, the emails Booker leaked had been cleared for release, he just jumped the gun a little.
This will make expulsion almost impossible ( I never thought it was a realistic possibility anyway). On the other hand, it does make it look like Booker was indulging in a little bit of grandstanding.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 12:04 PM   #273
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
It's actually even worse than just refusing to entertain hypothetical questions (I would sometimes disagree with you and say that depending on the situation 'I don't know enough to say' is a perfectly reasonable answer), in that not only was the hypothetical something he has talked about and damn well should have been already thinking about if he were a worthwhile nominee, but he also refused to discuss his own writings and opinions he's expressed.

But it doesn't surprise me, and probably doesn't surprise you, that those posters who are unconcerned with perjury during confirmation hearings are also unconcerned with if the judge has the intellectual fortitude to defend their stated legal opinions.
The way I understand it, Kavanaugh holds that such hypotheticals are a matter between the judge and the litigants. If he were to opine on them to Congress, it would undermine the trust of litigants that he would be open to their arguments in a trial. Therefore, since his actual duty as a judge is to the litigants, it would be improper (perhaps even unconstitutional) for him to render pre-judgements at Congress' behest.

Thus his refusal to discuss hypotheticals at the confirmation hearings is not an automatic black mark, but a nuanced and complex question that should be debated as such.

And there is precedent in this. The objection to a "litmus test". The reluctance to pre-judge. Etc. Wasn't there a nominee who refused to answer hypotheticals about abortion cases?

Last edited by theprestige; 6th September 2018 at 12:05 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 12:07 PM   #274
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Cory Booker's office confirms that the whole grandstanding **** show that was his Spartacus moment was phony as a seven dollar bill, because the ******* documents were released last night.

These clowns are Spartacularly Dishonest.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 6th September 2018 at 12:12 PM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 12:07 PM   #275
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The way I understand it, Kavanaugh holds that such hypotheticals are a matter between the judge and the litigants. If he were to opine on them to Congress, it would undermine his credibility as an impartial judge in a trial. Therefore, since his actual duty as a judge is to the litigants, it would be improper (perhaps even unconstitutional) for him to render pre-judgements at Congress' behest.

Thus his refusal to discuss hypotheticals at the confirmation hearings is not an automatic black mark, but a nuanced and complex question that should be debated as such.

And there is precedent in this. The objection to a "litmus test". The reluctance to pre-judge. Etc. Wasn't there a nominee who refused to answer hypotheticals about abortion cases?
What do you have supporting that? I listened to him say, "I haven't studied that issue," but missed him saying, "It would be unfair to discuss that issue." As far as I know, his justification was not the one you present. (Also note that I outright said it was sometimes perfectly reasonable to not answer hypotheticals.)

And none of that applies to discussing his own written views.
Old 6th September 2018, 12:09 PM   #276
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's not. It's money to cover costs they incur while voluntarily protesting. See, how compensation usually works is that you make money, not break even.
1) that's not a requirement
2) since this money is disbursed before any fines are levied, and there's no indication that they have to return the money if they aren't fined, they very well may make money.

Quote:
But since you decided to jump in and defend this conspiracy theory, perhaps you can answer this question:

Why do protesters need to be paid to protest?
Don't know, don't care. They are being paid. It's not like this is the first time, there is a long history of paying people to protest. For example:
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ppfu0o...orking-stiffed
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 12:12 PM   #277
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I have no respect for anyone who cannot entertain and discuss hypothetical questions.
I have little respect for those who entertain nothing but theory and hypotheticals.

Old 6th September 2018, 12:17 PM   #278
Mumbles
Philosopher

Such a weird conspiracy theory.

Trump is very unpopular and so is Kavanaugh as a SCOTUS nominee.

Why do conservative conspiracy theorists imagine the need for paid protesters?
It was George Soros in the Bildeberg airship!

Truth is - a lot of organizations receive donations from people who believe in their causes, and this includes from philanthropic organizations from this or that wealthy person, as well as small donations. BLM, Planned Parenthood, Prager U...this is a part of how capitalism works. Wow, what a shock, organizers need food. This is especially useful when official government agencies also spend money to shut them down.

Second, yes this does include money for bail, when needed. And?

Third, this is another case of self-snitching in my opinion. "Well, I'd never protest against anything, unless I were being paid, so other people must be getting paid as well." Sorry, but a lot of people actually believe in having access to health care (including abortions), not having police forces act as white supremacist enforcement patrols, and so forth. And while a lot of people have aid in transportation, living rooms to sleep in, and the like, this is veryh rarely enough to pay for any sort of full-time work.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 12:22 PM   #279
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Quote:
“knock the crap out of them … I promise you, I will pay for the legal fees.”
-Trump

Sounds like Trump is paying people to beat up protesters.
Old 6th September 2018, 12:25 PM   #280
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
-Trump

Sounds like Trump is paying people to beat up protesters.
Got any pictures of him passing out the long green to "protesters" like we have seen proven and admitted by the schlubs at the ongoing hearing??

protip: No.

I get that bringing this up again is better than discussing total rat fink Cory "Spartacus" Booker's humiliating display today, tho.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics