ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2018 elections

Reply
Old 7th August 2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 18,223
2018 mid-term election

Time for a general thread, I suppose.

Today is primary election day here The Other Washington. (Or, for you Ozzies, the other WA). The ballot was pretty boring, other than having 29(!) candidates for US Senate. Most interesting race in the state is for the eighth Congressional district, which has always been Republican but may flip. I started a thread on that one a few days ago, because the Dems are running more against Trump and the probable R than against each other.

What's happening this year in your state?
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,494
Here in Missouri we have U.S. Senate primaries to set up the expected McCaskill (D-incumbent) v. Hawley (R-State AG) fight that will get a lot of attention come November.

The major issue is Prop A, a referendum on a right-to-work bill passed by the legislature that has seen a lot of outside money flooding in as the latest battleground on the national battle over labor rights.

Kansas has tons of stuff going on too unimportant to mention. There's some drama around the governorship and other executive positions as fallout from the Brownback administration continues.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 18,223
It was mentioned this morning on the TeeVee that Trump has endorsed Kobach over Brownback.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,013
In the 2018 mid-terms, the state of West Virginia will finally get some national political attention.

One of our senators is a Democrat who is up for re-election this year (Joe Manchin) and the Republicans are hoping to flip that seat. As part of the effort, Trump has visited West Virginia three times now to push Republican themes and a few of his own themes.

So anyway, one can expect West Virginia to be in the national news one way or the other come November, 2018.
__________________
On 28 JUN 2018 'yuno44907' said: "I am god and you have to help me."
On 03 JUL 2018 'yuno44907' got banned from the Forum.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Sherkeu
Muse
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 940
Here in California, Prop 6, to repeal the gas tax and require future increases to be on a ballot, is the big one for voters. In fact, it could decide which party controls the House.
Quote:
A yes vote supports this initiative to:
repeal fuel tax increases and vehicle fees that were enacted in 2017, including the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017 (RRAA) and
require voter approval (via ballot propositions) for the California State Legislature to impose, increase, or extend fuel taxes or vehicle fees in the future.
Californians have been big fans, across all political lines, of controlling the ability of Sacramento to impose taxes and fees and move billions around without voter approval. This could be a hard sell for Democrats who support keeping the tax but aim to keep all their seats and take 7 more from Republicans. Republicans threw all their campaign money into getting it on the ballot. It's that important.

State revenue is up, exceeding expectations by a few billion a month and creating a surplus. Does that help Democrats because they were in charge? or hurt them if they argue for keeping the tax?? idk, we'll see.

With 53 congressional seats in California (38D-14R-1vacant), control of the House of Representatives could come down to the price of gas leading up to election day.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,693
In Arizona, the attention is all on the race to replace retiring Senator Jeff Flake. We still have the primary to come three weeks from today. Martha McSally still holds the lead over Kelli Ward and Joe Arpaio, but lately a George Soros-funded group has been running ads against her, as has another group which has ties to the Democrats. Kyrsten Sinema seems to have the Democratic nomination wrapped up.

The biggest ballot measure is a ban on increasing or imposing taxes on services. The Arizona Republic has been pushing a services tax for years; it's the old "broaden the base to decrease the rate" wheeze; in my experience governments are happy to broaden the base, but seem reluctant to follow through with the decrease the rate part.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.

Last edited by Brainster; 7th August 2018 at 01:12 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 01:17 PM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,490
I'm curious, in general, to see if opinion polling will get its groove/respect back and how, if at all, the media and

Yeah I know that all the polls gave Trump a "chance" at winning and so didn't lie and like Trump's victory didn't... break the concept of polling technically but with pretty much everybody kinda treating Hillary as a done deal (hell we had one poster here who spent the last week or so of the campaign pretty much just ranting and raving at Nate Silver for giving Trump such good odds and even he only gave Trump a "maybe long shot if a miracle happens" chance) and with near constant opinion polling being such a core part of our insanely long campaign/news cycle... it will be interesting to watch.

If nothing else the fact that the polls were all so strongly against Trump is gonna be brought up... a lot.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 01:36 PM   #8
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster
 
Jungle Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,006
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It was mentioned this morning on the TeeVee that Trump has endorsed Kobach over Brownback.
Did the TeeVee mention that Brownback is not running for office and has not been govenor of Kansas since January when he was confirmed as U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom, a position he was nominated for by Donald Trump?
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 02:18 PM   #9
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,995
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Dems are running more against Trump...
Right. And it is a huge mistake. It's four years now of anti-Trump hysteria, all of which has failed, and which has produced record distrust in the media.

The NDAA in 2012 allowed the CIA and other alphabet soup agencies to produce/pay for domestic propaganda. Their tentacles are everywhere: in entertainment, news, movies, etc. A list of over 400 movies the defense department was involved with has been released recently. They're running candidates now.

In the 1960's as I grew up the Democrats were the Anti-war party, the party of Labor, progressive on gay rights - some really visible, understandable principles you can run an election on. But they've been corrupted.

The black-bag military and domestic police/war/spy agency operations have trillions of $ in resources all over the world at their command. You take control of the resources by bribing or extorting the leadership. All you need then is control of US ports, and ideally you want them run by foreigners with zero allegiance to the country. Like, say the UAE, officially an Islamic State. That's six US ports. What could go wrong, other than a lot of dead Americans, dead Afghanis, dead Pakistanis, dead Syrians, dead Iraqis, dead Yemenis, etc.

Once you control opium production in Afghanistan, shipment to Pakistan for processing, and then by diplomatic "pouch" (ocean container) to the USA to kill people by overdose of Fentanyl, you don't need taxpayer money. Once you are in control of weapons distribution to ISIS, you have all the stunningly beautiful whores and Chivas Regal you'll ever need.

The problem for the billionaires and deep state is that there are elections where people vote every now and then. When new people come in they have to either already be on board with the war crimes and drug money or Brownstone operations need to be set up for them. Get them filmed having sex with the beautiful hooker you sent in or the little boy.

It is bizarre with Trump in that he clearly aligns with the Military-Industrial-Security complex as it pertains to Israel, Saudi Arabia, and other Sunni crazies. Yet, he is so utterly loathed, so there is some big piece of this complex that Trump threatens. It seems to me this piece is mostly about nationalism vs globalism.

To run against Trump puts you on the side of the globalists. Trump ran on an "America First" platform while in fact pursuing an Israel First foreign policy, but nevertheless Trump means nationalism. Israeli nationalism mostly, but again it is perception that counts.

America is the wrong thing to be running against. You need to run FOR values that resonate with voters. Not a person, but values. Most elections are about the economy. Trump has stats you just cannot deny with unemployment and growth. It doesn't matter whether he can take credit for it or not, what is important is the unemployment rate and money in family wallets come election eve. It's the economy, stupid.

We learned in the 2016 how much of the election-related industries of polling and analysis has been completely compromised and is untrustworthy. The night of the 2016 race I watched the odds of Hillary winning go from 95% to the exact opposite prediction of 95% Trump from one screen to the next. That wasn't bad guessing. I'm trained in statistics. For more than a year Democrats were purposefully oversampled by polling firms. It was a huge red flag to me about the industry.

Their playbook appears to be the same in all the major respects so we should expect biased polls and analysts predicting blue as a means to herd voters. People want to feel like they're in the herd, and that's why the strategy of "racist, sexist, homophobe, label label label" worked well for years. Having Hollywood stars high on cocaine and booze, fresh from sex with a 12 year old make virtue-signalling noises for people supporting CIA drug and weapons operations.

The legacy media is controlled by a club that, in the words of George Carlin, you and me ain't in. Their agenda is so vastly different from what is portrayed by them.

Globalism isn't about black and white people holding hands and singing. It is about corporations being put in charge of who you can buy a pair of socks from. It's about blowing up babies for Raytheon.

Check out Jimmy Dore's show back in March on CIA running as democrats and a number of articles many have done since then. Dore is a hard core liberal, he isn't a Trumpist.

I don't want to pose Trump as the anti-deep state candidate because he is clearly all-in with the Middle East part of their program, and other places too. He's just not with their European plans and world trade agreements.

It is a huge problem for Democrats when the battle is really about weapons and drug rat-lines, MIC plunder, and globalism. Because then you need this giant noise machine producing fake reasons to be against anything perceived as "Trump". You need fake news, fake polls, fake analysis, and fake support from movie stars, etc. You need control over social media platforms so you can censor.

According to advertising spending patterns, congressional Democrats are hitting health care as their largest issue. Their second largest advertisement is jobs and the economy, so they're running on Trump.

Republicans are running on Trump, Trump, and Trump:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ces/914978002/

Trump directly, the Trump tax cut, and Trump immigration.

This is very unusual in mid-term elections. Voters usually go against the president's party in midterms. So the congressman of the party in power distance themselves from the president.

When Trump ran for office, the entire Republican establishment was against him. Now look. A lot of people have learned not to bet against Trump.

It is important to see that the Democtatic leadership nationally is still full-on Trump Derangement Syndrome. But the people actually producing the advertising for congressional campaigns are going with health care and the Trump economy.

When we drill down on the Health Care ads, its pretty lame. Protecting people with pre-existing conditions. Neither party can claim moral high ground on health care. Obama brought in a baby with severe birth defects while Trump and the republicans didn't do repeal and replace.

Ironically, Democrats are also taking out ads against corruption in government. Because it looks like Trump is waiting for maximum electoral impact to release the juiciest redacted/withheld FBI documents. It's going to be shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited by AlaskaBushPilot; 7th August 2018 at 02:23 PM.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 02:30 PM   #10
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Right. And it is a huge mistake. It's four years now of anti-Trump hysteria, all of which has failed, and which has produced record distrust in the media.

The NDAA in 2012 allowed the CIA and other alphabet soup agencies to produce/pay for domestic propaganda. Their tentacles are everywhere: in entertainment, news, movies, etc. A list of over 400 movies the defense department was involved with has been released recently. They're running candidates now.

In the 1960's as I grew up the Democrats were the Anti-war party, the party of Labor, progressive on gay rights - some really visible, understandable principles you can run an election on. But they've been corrupted.

The black-bag military and domestic police/war/spy agency operations have trillions of $ in resources all over the world at their command. You take control of the resources by bribing or extorting the leadership. All you need then is control of US ports, and ideally you want them run by foreigners with zero allegiance to the country. Like, say the UAE, officially an Islamic State. That's six US ports. What could go wrong, other than a lot of dead Americans, dead Afghanis, dead Pakistanis, dead Syrians, dead Iraqis, dead Yemenis, etc.

Once you control opium production in Afghanistan, shipment to Pakistan for processing, and then by diplomatic "pouch" (ocean container) to the USA to kill people by overdose of Fentanyl, you don't need taxpayer money. Once you are in control of weapons distribution to ISIS, you have all the stunningly beautiful whores and Chivas Regal you'll ever need.

The problem for the billionaires and deep state is that there are elections where people vote every now and then. When new people come in they have to either already be on board with the war crimes and drug money or Brownstone operations need to be set up for them. Get them filmed having sex with the beautiful hooker you sent in or the little boy.

It is bizarre with Trump in that he clearly aligns with the Military-Industrial-Security complex as it pertains to Israel, Saudi Arabia, and other Sunni crazies. Yet, he is so utterly loathed, so there is some big piece of this complex that Trump threatens. It seems to me this piece is mostly about nationalism vs globalism.

To run against Trump puts you on the side of the globalists. Trump ran on an "America First" platform while in fact pursuing an Israel First foreign policy, but nevertheless Trump means nationalism. Israeli nationalism mostly, but again it is perception that counts.

America is the wrong thing to be running against. You need to run FOR values that resonate with voters. Not a person, but values. Most elections are about the economy. Trump has stats you just cannot deny with unemployment and growth. It doesn't matter whether he can take credit for it or not, what is important is the unemployment rate and money in family wallets come election eve. It's the economy, stupid.

We learned in the 2016 how much of the election-related industries of polling and analysis has been completely compromised and is untrustworthy. The night of the 2016 race I watched the odds of Hillary winning go from 95% to the exact opposite prediction of 95% Trump from one screen to the next. That wasn't bad guessing. I'm trained in statistics. For more than a year Democrats were purposefully oversampled by polling firms. It was a huge red flag to me about the industry.

Their playbook appears to be the same in all the major respects so we should expect biased polls and analysts predicting blue as a means to herd voters. People want to feel like they're in the herd, and that's why the strategy of "racist, sexist, homophobe, label label label" worked well for years. Having Hollywood stars high on cocaine and booze, fresh from sex with a 12 year old make virtue-signalling noises for people supporting CIA drug and weapons operations.

The legacy media is controlled by a club that, in the words of George Carlin, you and me ain't in. Their agenda is so vastly different from what is portrayed by them.

Globalism isn't about black and white people holding hands and singing. It is about corporations being put in charge of who you can buy a pair of socks from. It's about blowing up babies for Raytheon.

Check out Jimmy Dore's show back in March on CIA running as democrats and a number of articles many have done since then. Dore is a hard core liberal, he isn't a Trumpist.

I don't want to pose Trump as the anti-deep state candidate because he is clearly all-in with the Middle East part of their program, and other places too. He's just not with their European plans and world trade agreements.

It is a huge problem for Democrats when the battle is really about weapons and drug rat-lines, MIC plunder, and globalism. Because then you need this giant noise machine producing fake reasons to be against anything perceived as "Trump". You need fake news, fake polls, fake analysis, and fake support from movie stars, etc. You need control over social media platforms so you can censor.

According to advertising spending patterns, congressional Democrats are hitting health care as their largest issue. Their second largest advertisement is jobs and the economy, so they're running on Trump.

Republicans are running on Trump, Trump, and Trump:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ces/914978002/

Trump directly, the Trump tax cut, and Trump immigration.

This is very unusual in mid-term elections. Voters usually go against the president's party in midterms. So the congressman of the party in power distance themselves from the president.

When Trump ran for office, the entire Republican establishment was against him. Now look. A lot of people have learned not to bet against Trump.

It is important to see that the Democtatic leadership nationally is still full-on Trump Derangement Syndrome. But the people actually producing the advertising for congressional campaigns are going with health care and the Trump economy.

When we drill down on the Health Care ads, its pretty lame. Protecting people with pre-existing conditions. Neither party can claim moral high ground on health care. Obama brought in a baby with severe birth defects while Trump and the republicans didn't do repeal and replace.

Ironically, Democrats are also taking out ads against corruption in government. Because it looks like Trump is waiting for maximum electoral impact to release the juiciest redacted/withheld FBI documents. It's going to be shooting themselves in the foot.
And we hear from the Trump worshipper.
Have fun fighting a non existent "globalist" conspiracy.
And I fine you full scale buying into a cult of personality scary.
it's also amusing he buys into the "Trump is Anti Corporate Power" crap when all Trump's fiscal policies have been huge gifts to corporate America.
All in all, a good example of how Trump supporter seem to be immune to logic and reality. They just refuse to buy anything which clashes with the image of Trump the Savior.

Last edited by dudalb; 7th August 2018 at 02:34 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 03:03 PM   #11
Elagabalus
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,867
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And we hear from the Trump worshipper.
Have fun fighting a non existent "globalist" conspiracy.
And I fine you full scale buying into a cult of personality scary.
it's also amusing he buys into the "Trump is Anti Corporate Power" crap when all Trump's fiscal policies have been huge gifts to corporate America.
All in all, a good example of how Trump supporter seem to be immune to logic and reality. They just refuse to buy anything which clashes with the image of Trump the Savior.
Have you seen what I said in the other thread? Some of this is the X-treme Bernie Bros (for lack of a better term). There seems to be a scary UltraRight/UltraLeft overlap in all of it.

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Or he just watches a lot of the Jimmy Dore show.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jimmy_Dore


tl;dr Jim's still pissed at Hillary for not winning (and providing him with 8 yrs. of material) that he cannot countenance anyone critiquing Trump on his show.
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I'll admit that the JD show was kind of a shot in the dark but, as if by magic, it appears ...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...78&postcount=9
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 03:14 PM   #12
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 18,441
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Right. And it is a huge mistake. It's four years now of anti-Trump hysteria, all of which has failed, and which has produced record distrust in the media.
I appreciate that you feel threatened by forces out there. You appear to be making a case that Trump is some savior from your perceived threats. Your thesis is all over the place though.
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
The NDAA in 2012 allowed the CIA and other alphabet soup agencies to produce/pay for domestic propaganda. Their tentacles are everywhere: in entertainment, news, movies, etc. A list of over 400 movies the defense department was involved with has been released recently. They're running candidates now.
I see no direct link between the Smith-Mundt Modernization Act and movies or candidates. The military has always been involved in movies, e.g. Top Gun. And what candidates? Ex-military, like Eisenhower? And what does any of that have to do with Trump?
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
In the 1960's as I grew up the Democrats were the Anti-war party, the party of Labor, progressive on gay rights - some really visible, understandable principles you can run an election on. But they've been corrupted.
Dude, the Vietnam war was Johnson's baby.

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
The black-bag military and domestic police/war/spy agency operations have trillions of $ in resources all over the world at their command. You take control of the resources by bribing or extorting the leadership. All you need then is control of US ports, and ideally you want them run by foreigners with zero allegiance to the country. Like, say the UAE, officially an Islamic State. That's six US ports. What could go wrong, other than a lot of dead Americans, dead Afghanis, dead Pakistanis, dead Syrians, dead Iraqis, dead Yemenis, etc.
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Once you control opium production in Afghanistan, shipment to Pakistan for processing, and then by diplomatic "pouch" (ocean container) to the USA to kill people by overdose of Fentanyl, you don't need taxpayer money. Once you are in control of weapons distribution to ISIS, you have all the stunningly beautiful whores and Chivas Regal you'll ever need.
Conspiracy Forum thataway>>>>

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
The problem for the billionaires and deep state is that there are elections where people vote every now and then. When new people come in they have to either already be on board with the war crimes and drug money or Brownstone operations need to be set up for them. Get them filmed having sex with the beautiful hooker you sent in or the little boy.
More conspiratorial conjecture, I see.

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
It is bizarre with Trump in that he clearly aligns with the Military-Industrial-Security complex as it pertains to Israel, Saudi Arabia, and other Sunni crazies. Yet, he is so utterly loathed, so there is some big piece of this complex that Trump threatens. It seems to me this piece is mostly about nationalism vs globalism.
You are overcomplicating things. Trump is for Trump. If you think folks are out to get him, you need to make your case. You are inventing or borrowing phantoms, if you don't have facts.
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
To run against Trump puts you on the side of the globalists. Trump ran on an "America First" platform while in fact pursuing an Israel First foreign policy, but nevertheless Trump means nationalism. Israeli nationalism mostly, but again it is perception that counts.
Who cares about Israel?
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
America is the wrong thing to be running against. You need to run FOR values that resonate with voters. Not a person, but values. Most elections are about the economy. Trump has stats you just cannot deny with unemployment and growth. It doesn't matter whether he can take credit for it or not, what is important is the unemployment rate and money in family wallets come election eve. It's the economy, stupid.
Tell Trump, he just threw America under the bus when he met with Putin.
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
<Further anti-globalism stuff shortcutted>
It seems to me you have your mind made up that it is all "globalists" and "anti-globalists", and are trying to shoehorn everything into that to justify Trump and tear in to anyone who opposes him. The world isn't that simple. And Trump is no hero.
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles

Last edited by LSSBB; 7th August 2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Spell checker had changed savior to sailor. Fixed.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 03:19 PM   #13
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Have you seen what I said in the other thread? Some of this is the X-treme Bernie Bros (for lack of a better term). There seems to be a scary UltraRight/UltraLeft overlap in all of it.
I missed your thread , but I did know about Jimmy Dore, whose who attitude I find truly bizarre.
I am reminded of how in the lead up to the Nazi seizure of power, the extreme left often ignored the Nazis to attack the SDP (Social Democratic Party) because the SDP was not radical enough for them.
But then Dore was so over the top in his worship of Bernie that even some Bernie supporters found it extreme.
I think it's a case of extreme Anti Establishmentism. It's like how left and right wing conspiracy kooks often get along well despite differences. The important thing to believe in a conspiracy.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 03:22 PM   #14
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I appreciate that you feel threatened by forces out there. You appear to be making a case that Trump is some sailor from your perceived threats. Your thesis is all over the place though.

I see no direct link between the Smith-Mundt Modernization Act and movies or candidates. The military has always been involved in movies, e.g. Top Gun. And what candidates? Ex-military, like Eisenhower? And what does any of that have to do with Trump?

Dude, the Vietnam war was Johnson's baby.


Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Conspiracy Forum thataway>>>>

More conspiratorial conjecture, I see.


You are overcomplicating things. Trump is for Trump. If you think folks are out to get him, you need to make your case. You are inventing or borrowing phantoms, if you don't have facts.

Who cares about Israel?

Tell Trump, he just threw America under the bus when he met with Putin.


It seems to me you have your mind made up that it is all "globalists" and "anti-globalists", and are trying to shoehorn everything into that to justify Trump and tear in to anyone who opposes him. The world isn't that simple. And Trump is no hero.
Well done, though I am sympathetic to Israel (though very critical of Bibi's policies).
And the revelatation that since 2012 the Pentagon helps movie companies occasionally to be really funny, since they have been doing it since the 1920's ("Wings" ..made in 1927...for instancewas shot an an army base in Texas, and used lots of real troops and US Air Corps airplanes.)

Last edited by dudalb; 7th August 2018 at 03:26 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 03:31 PM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 18,223
Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Did the TeeVee mention that Brownback is not running for office and has not been govenor of Kansas since January when he was confirmed as U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom, a position he was nominated for by Donald Trump?
No, they did not. They also did not say he was running against Brownback, that was my assumption. He's actually running against the former Lt Governor Jeff Colyer. My bad and thanks for pointing that out.

In the WTF department, "U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom"!!!!
Also, Vermin Supreme is trying to run for Kobach's old job, there being no constitutional requirements for residency or anything else.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 06:30 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,490
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
So anyway, one can expect West Virginia to be in the national news one way or the other come November, 2018.
Great. That means a bunch of candidates bending over backwards to pretend that a dead industry that employed fewer people than Arbys is the lynchpin of the American economy for another year.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I started a thread on that one a few days ago, because the Dems are running more against Trump and the probable R than against each other.
It's hilarious at this point. There's between 5 and 6 political ads per commercial break at times right about now (and let me tell you more than 4 political ads in a row should be legally considered torture under some international law) and every one of them, literally every one of them, uses Trump as their main talking point.

There's one, and I'm not making this up, for one of the GOP candidate for our state's Attorney General that all I know about this person is that she once sued Trump. The ad ends with a, out of nowhere, picture of Hillary Clinton that computer morphs into a picture of the candidate. There is no context for this.

I get I harp on Tribalism a lot, but this is functionally insane.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 12:50 PM   #17
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,354
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
<<weird **** snipped>>
As George W Bush said about Trump's inauguration speech - "That was some weird ****, man."
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 01:00 PM   #18
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,858
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
The major issue is Prop A, a referendum on a right-to-work bill passed by the legislature that has seen a lot of outside money flooding in as the latest battleground on the national battle over labor rights.
That went down in flames.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 01:57 PM   #19
Venom
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,631
It appears Kansas again manages to make things dirty. Johnson County had to fix their goddamn voting machines last night. ****@!

Now who even knows what could have been.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 02:08 PM   #20
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,858
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
It appears Kansas again manages to make things dirty. Johnson County had to fix their goddamn voting machines last night. ****@!

Now who even knows what could have been.
Don't worry Kris Kobach is overseeing the recount into whether or not he won the GOP nomination for governor.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 03:47 PM   #21
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Now all we need are people from Missouri sneaking over to vote in Kansas.......
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 05:26 PM   #22
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Donnie threatning to shut down the government over The Wall in October. Just five weeks before the election. I am sure the GOP congress critters running for congress just love that idea....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 09:59 PM   #23
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,995
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I appreciate that you feel threatened by forces out there.
Not an argument, just an ad-hom and you're making it to Chomsky really because I am with him front-to-back on his analysis of media.


Quote:
You appear to be making a case that Trump is some savior
More ad-hom non-argument. Savior? lol.


Quote:
from your perceived threats.
Keep reminding me I am writing from the mental hospital.

So this isn't discourse, now is it.


Quote:
It seems to me you have your mind made up that it is all "globalists" and "anti-globalists",
Nope.

Quote:
justify Trump and tear in to anyone who opposes him.
pretty lame, champ. Playing the victim, vilifying a straw man.


Quote:
The world isn't that simple.
Good thing I made no such argument.


Quote:
And Trump is no hero.
Since I called him no such thing, you haven't made an argument of any kind here.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 10:16 PM   #24
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,995
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And we hear from the Trump worshipper.
.
Not an argument, is it. And look at what a wild claim it is! Worshipper, lol.

I'm a Trump analyst. And I am not going to be a pussy that feels he has to insult Trump in every post and qualify every thing with "I hate Trump" and jump on every anti-Trump meme. Our major difference is Israel but there are plenty of others.

I have been pretty much a broken record about how he has been underestimated from the crack of the gun in the primaries. I was especially emphatic as the election drew near that doing as you are right here is a losing strategy. You can't argue by just labeling your opponents racists, sexists, homophobes, worshippers, etc.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 11:05 PM   #25
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,693
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Not an argument, is it. And look at what a wild claim it is! Worshipper, lol.

I'm a Trump analyst. And I am not going to be a pussy that feels he has to insult Trump in every post and qualify every thing with "I hate Trump" and jump on every anti-Trump meme. Our major difference is Israel but there are plenty of others.

I have been pretty much a broken record about how he has been underestimated from the crack of the gun in the primaries. I was especially emphatic as the election drew near that doing as you are right here is a losing strategy. You can't argue by just labeling your opponents racists, sexists, homophobes, worshippers, etc.
In the mid-terms, it's a defensible strategy, but they'd better change their tune in 2020. I remember 60 Minutes pissing away any remaining credibility on the Bush National Guard story, or Bob Dole asking "Where's the outrage?" about Clinton. The 2020 election is going to be a referendum on the economy, just as it is in every election there there is a sitting president.

The idea that people are going to vote on Trump's personal qualities is a complete non-starter.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 04:23 AM   #26
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 18,441
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Not an argument, just an ad-hom and you're making it to Chomsky really because I am with him front-to-back on his analysis of media.




More ad-hom non-argument. Savior? lol.




Keep reminding me I am writing from the mental hospital.

So this isn't discourse, now is it.




Nope.



pretty lame, champ. Playing the victim, vilifying a straw man.




Good thing I made no such argument.




Since I called him no such thing, you haven't made an argument of any kind here.
I have, you responded with neener neener.
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 07:51 AM   #27
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,858
It's a good thing Corey Stewart is well versed in lost causes.

Quote:
Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., led GOP rival Corey Stewart by 23 percentage points in a July poll of likely voters released Wednesday.
Kaine had 49 percent to 26 percent for Stewart, chairman of the Prince William Board of County Supervisors, with 5 percent for Libertarian Matt Waters and 20 percent undecided, according to the survey from the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs at Virginia Commonwealth University.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 08:14 AM   #28
korenyx
Graduate Poster
 
korenyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 19th Century Kansas
Posts: 1,012
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Don't worry Kris Kobach is overseeing the recount into whether or not he won the GOP nomination for governor.
Yes, he's refusing to recuse himself from the recount because "The recount thing is done on a county level, so the secretary of state does not actually participate directly in the recount."

Right Kris. Whatever.
korenyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 08:23 AM   #29
kellyb
Philosopher
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,874
Memphis, Tennessee:

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...shelby-county/

Quote:
Quote:
Of the 26 county offices up for grabs, Democrats won all but five — and those were previously Republican commission seats. Before the election, Republicans held nine of the 10 most high-profile county offices, including mayor and sheriff. Now, they hold zero...The reasons behind the wave are likely manifold, but it's hard to ignore the polarizing effect of President Donald Trump. Also, it's interesting that Harris and Republican governor candidate Bill Lee both largely focused on their visions while their opponents launched highly visible — and negative — attacks on them. Attack ads have a record of working — but in today's political climate, they seem to have backfired. However, perhaps the big reason for the wave was that Democrats fielded high-quality candidates who clearly articulated the need for new solutions to persistent problems.
Solutions. Government solutions. An amazing concept as yet largely untried in the second decade of the 21st century.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 08:38 AM   #30
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 38,833
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It was mentioned this morning on the TeeVee that Trump has endorsed Kobach over Brownback.
Brownback wasn't running; the sitting governor is Jeff Colyer. And of course Trump backed Kobach, the head of the Mythical Illegal Voters Investigatory Panel.

The great thing is that Kobach hasn't yet recused himself (as Kansas Sec'y of State) from overseeing the recount. There's no law requiring him to do so and with his noted expertise in vote-counting(cough), I'm sure his services will be invaluable.

I'm so looking forward to him losing in November.


ETA: I see most of this was covered. I read the index page incorrectly and thought there were five posts in the thread. Sorry about the redundancies.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 9th August 2018 at 08:42 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 08:48 AM   #31
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18,505
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Not an argument, just an ad-hom and you're making it to Chomsky really because I am with him front-to-back on his analysis of media.

More ad-hom non-argument. Savior? lol.

Keep reminding me I am writing from the mental hospital.

So this isn't discourse, now is it.

Nope.

pretty lame, champ. Playing the victim, vilifying a straw man.

Good thing I made no such argument.

Since I called him no such thing, you haven't made an argument of any kind here.
Wow! Talk about non-sequitor nonsense.

The bs you piled up on your earlier post was absurd. I disagree with its entire premise. You seem to believe attacking the cretin Trump is a political mistake. I think you are wrong wrong, wrong!. Trump may have won the electoral college but he lost the total vote by 3 million votes. And support for him has dwindled. Not by a lot, but by enough. And Trump couldn't afford to lose ANY. What's more, he's whipping up his opposition into a committed frenzy.

That you love and worship the racist, sexist, lying POS seems more like a personal problem. But whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.

Me, I am inclined to believe Trump has caused more people to hate and detest him and his policies than he has in persuading people to support him. I saw an analysis of voting patterns today from primaries across the country. Trump may have increased support in rural counties, but he lost a lot of support from highly educated suburban areas. He is effectively making the GOP a rural party.

All I can say is, 'good luck with that'.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 09:07 AM   #32
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18,505
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
In the mid-terms, it's a defensible strategy, but they'd better change their tune in 2020. I remember 60 Minutes pissing away any remaining credibility on the Bush National Guard story, or Bob Dole asking "Where's the outrage?" about Clinton. The 2020 election is going to be a referendum on the economy, just as it is in every election there there is a sitting president.

The idea that people are going to vote on Trump's personal qualities is a complete non-starter.
I think it's cute that you think that the situations are remotely alike. The economy will mean something to be sure . But I think you underestimate the animosity that Trump generates. If he was the average President and people were just against his policies, you might be right. There are very few people who have a neutral position on Trump.

The real key to the 2020 election is who the Democrats select as their nominee. If he/she is not an awful choice, Trump will be slaughtered like a spring lamb.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 10:48 AM   #33
WilliamSeger
Illuminator
 
WilliamSeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,600
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The idea that people are going to vote on Trump's personal qualities is a complete non-starter.
How about the idea that people are going to vote against the things he and his Cabinet are doing?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 10:59 AM   #34
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
In the mid-terms, it's a defensible strategy, but they'd better change their tune in 2020. I remember 60 Minutes pissing away any remaining credibility on the Bush National Guard story, or Bob Dole asking "Where's the outrage?" about Clinton. The 2020 election is going to be a referendum on the economy, just as it is in every election there there is a sitting president.

The idea that people are going to vote on Trump's personal qualities is a complete non-starter.

SO now character and honesty and intelligence don't matter in a President,Nice.
This is nothing but a new version of "but he made the trains run on time".
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:00 AM   #35
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
How about the idea that people are going to vote against the things he and his Cabinet are doing?
But nothing matters but the economy, which tranalates to "Trump can do what he wants so long as he gives me my tax cuts".
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:03 AM   #36
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Wow! Talk about non-sequitor nonsense.

The bs you piled up on your earlier post was absurd. I disagree with its entire premise. You seem to believe attacking the cretin Trump is a political mistake. I think you are wrong wrong, wrong!. Trump may have won the electoral college but he lost the total vote by 3 million votes. And support for him has dwindled. Not by a lot, but by enough. And Trump couldn't afford to lose ANY. What's more, he's whipping up his opposition into a committed frenzy.

That you love and worship the racist, sexist, lying POS seems more like a personal problem. But whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.

Me, I am inclined to believe Trump has caused more people to hate and detest him and his policies than he has in persuading people to support him. I saw an analysis of voting patterns today from primaries across the country. Trump may have increased support in rural counties, but he lost a lot of support from highly educated suburban areas. He is effectively making the GOP a rural party.

All I can say is, 'good luck with that'.
GIven ABP's posting history, it's a case of extreme Anti Establishment Attitude.
He sees Trump as destroying the Establishment (let's put off if that is true or not) and that is all he wants to see.
Call if the Joker in "The Dark Knight" syndrome...he just wants to see the Forest Burn.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:46 AM   #37
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 18,441
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
GIven ABP's posting history, it's a case of extreme Anti Establishment Attitude.
He sees Trump as destroying the Establishment (let's put off if that is true or not) and that is all he wants to see.
Call if the Joker in "The Dark Knight" syndrome...he just wants to see the Forest Burn.
I don't think it's that simple, and this speaks to a possible factor to be considered in the mid-term elections.

In the Halcyon days of the Occupy movement, and before that the WTO/ G7 protests, much of the protesting has been centered on Globalization.This is still a solid driver of the Trump support, and it crosses party lines. These folks like tariffs and trade barriers. As a Libertarian myself, and also as someone who would love to see a day without borders of any kind, folks like me are the enemy, people like Donald are their friend, or so they think.

The Democratic Party has abandoned these folks, regardless of whether they are right or wrong. It may have a lot to do with their political weakness. Global trade used to be a Republican goal (a lesson learned with Smoot-Hawley, and only recently forgotten). Now the Republicans have stolen the anti-globalization platform away from the Democrats, who embraced globalization under Clinton.

Of course, Donald really is a globalist, just with folks he can benefit personally from (Russians and asbestos, for example)
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles

Last edited by LSSBB; 9th August 2018 at 11:50 AM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:53 PM   #38
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,354
(R) George HW Bush fought for fast-track authority so that (D) Clinton could get NAFTA done and open up trade in North America.
(D) Obama fought for TPP and (R) Trump killed it, potentially ceding trade dominance in Asia to the Chinese.

Perhaps, by the mid-terms, these tariff effects will be pronounced enough, communicated effectively and believed by voters enough to affect their votes, but I really doubt it. Long-time D and R voters, their reps and the media all need to behave like they live in bizarro world, embracing opposite roles from normal. I don't know that this can happen fast enough to have a huge impact in November.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 02:31 PM   #39
Tero
Graduate Poster
 
Tero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North American prairie
Posts: 1,211
I’m afraid the Nov election is a little soon. The Trump tariff effect on our soy farmers has not had its full effect. By 2020 more of the farmers will be willing to vote for a Democrat. But out senate race is this year.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 06:26 PM   #40
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,506
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I don't think it's that simple, and this speaks to a possible factor to be considered in the mid-term elections.

In the Halcyon days of the Occupy movement, and before that the WTO/ G7 protests, much of the protesting has been centered on Globalization.This is still a solid driver of the Trump support, and it crosses party lines. These folks like tariffs and trade barriers. As a Libertarian myself, and also as someone who would love to see a day without borders of any kind, folks like me are the enemy, people like Donald are their friend, or so they think.

The Democratic Party has abandoned these folks, regardless of whether they are right or wrong. It may have a lot to do with their political weakness. Global trade used to be a Republican goal (a lesson learned with Smoot-Hawley, and only recently forgotten). Now the Republicans have stolen the anti-globalization platform away from the Democrats, who embraced globalization under Clinton.

Of course, Donald really is a globalist, just with folks he can benefit personally from (Russians and asbestos, for example)

It is disheartening that so many people are advocating an economic policy guaranteed to create a new depression.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.