ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th August 2018, 08:50 AM   #121
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Yeah, and yet it would have been a half decent dig using 'Sid Vicious' instead. Someone doesn't know their Sex Pistols perhaps..

Eh, not really. Everyone who knows the Pistols knows that Lydon was the real brains and talent behind the band. Sid was all image.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2018, 08:54 AM   #122
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Eh, not really. Everyone who knows the Pistols knows that Lydon was the real brains and talent behind the band. Sid was all image.
Yeah, and what kind of band achieves success based on image over quality of music?
Old 30th August 2018, 08:54 AM   #123
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Well...... yes, the Queen is consulted on legislation. And technically she has an absolute right of veto over all legislation. But since the Glorious Revolution in the 17th Century and other reforms since then, the monarch has in practice never held or weilded any executive power.
...snip...
See the articles I've linked to, I am not talking about her withholding her signature.
Old 30th August 2018, 09:22 AM   #124
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Time for the UK to marginalise the monarchy?
Or maybe give it back some minor executive powers from the house. They already have all the money in the world, so they're relatively shielded from corruption, I guess.

Just thinking aloud. Not sure it makes sense.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2018, 11:59 PM   #125
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Totally irrelevant to the comment.

Vixen's comment wasn't about talent it was about how long they 'lasted', Lydon is still going so we don't know how long he will eventually 'last', Sid famously died young so he's the obvious choice. It's not like the Queen has released more top ten singles.
Old 31st August 2018, 01:19 AM   #126
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Totally irrelevant to the comment.

Vixen's comment wasn't about talent it was about how long they 'lasted', Lydon is still going so we don't know how long he will eventually 'last', Sid famously died young so he's the obvious choice. It's not like the Queen has released more top ten singles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_discography#Singles

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2018, 02:32 AM   #127
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
The subject is 'The Queen' not the good ones, unfortunately.
Old 31st August 2018, 05:10 AM   #128
wea
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
It is now just a traditional greeting, part of the pomp and circumstance of the Monarchy. It is not a sign of subservience, as it was originally intended.
A former PM of my country shows how an assertive handshaking is supposed to be, you slaves of monarchy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qgNzwy4PmQ
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 03:13 AM   #129
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

I appreciate that you can't believe everything you see on the internet and that I may need to improve my analysis skills, but there is an American item on YouTube at the moment which implies that the marriage of Charles and Camilla is breaking up. As far as I can judge, this has not been reported on BBC, or ITV Pravda in the UK, or on Sky News. It may be relevant to the monarchy being marginalised. It sounds a bit like what happened with the abdication of Edward VIII in the 1930s when there was a similar news blackout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQPxDD39W0o
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 11:47 AM   #130
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Except that they've been seen in public together since. Most recently 5th September.
Old 14th September 2018, 11:55 AM   #131
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Except that they've been seen in public together since. Most recently 5th September.
As reptilians, they remove their human-appearance skins all the time. You can't say for sure which one is wearing which skin at which time.
Old 15th September 2018, 12:11 AM   #132
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
As reptilians, they remove their human-appearance skins all the time. You can't say for sure which one is wearing which skin at which time.
Don't encourage him!
Old 15th September 2018, 08:07 AM   #133
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Prince Harry and Prince William are damn fine chaps and are helping to save the rhino and elephants. I don't know if they have been specially bred for the job, or what.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 06:07 AM   #134
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Prince Harry and Prince William are damn fine chaps and are helping to save the rhino and elephants. I don't know if they have been specially bred for the job, or what.
Have I been misreading all your posts, and you are actually a top-level poe?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 10:06 AM   #135
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Why don't you use your imagination? It's lack of vision.
Old 16th September 2018, 12:32 PM   #136
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

...... there is an American item on YouTube at the moment which implies..........
Wow. You can't be held to a higher standard than that. You've convinced me. I've just watched "Post", and came home to find Henri McPhee rivaling the high ideals on show there.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 12:36 PM   #137
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I appreciate that you can't believe everything you see on the internet and that I may need to improve my analysis skills, but there is an American item on YouTube at the moment which implies that the marriage of Charles and Camilla is breaking up. As far as I can judge, this has not been reported on BBC, or ITV Pravda in the UK, or on Sky News. It may be relevant to the monarchy being marginalised. It sounds a bit like what happened with the abdication of Edward VIII in the 1930s when there was a similar news blackout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQPxDD39W0o
In general, yes.

In this case in particular - I suspect your highlighted part is also applicable, but can't be bothered enough to assess any particular aspect of celebrity gossip.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2018, 03:18 AM   #138
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

The monarchy is great marketing for the UK, as has been pointed out.

I would propose that instead of abolishing it, we keep it politically toothless as it is now. But we grand the monarchy special powers to 'return to their roots' in a way, making them more interesting for foreigners.

Maybe allow a private militia a la the Swiss Guards? The right to kill and/or torture employees? We could make it a great reality show. 'Prince Philip has court jester tortured for insulting him' and stuff like that. I mean, create an environment for medieval court drama. Incest, beheadings, assassinations, advisors stabbed in their sleep, secret lovers poisoned.

Put that stuff on TV, and you won't believe the marketing spinoff.
Old 17th September 2018, 12:38 PM   #139
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
The monarchy is great marketing for the UK, as has been pointed out.

I would propose that instead of abolishing it, we keep it politically toothless as it is now. But we grand the monarchy special powers to 'return to their roots' in a way, making them more interesting for foreigners.

Maybe allow a private militia a la the Swiss Guards? The right to kill and/or torture employees? We could make it a great reality show. 'Prince Philip has court jester tortured for insulting him' and stuff like that. I mean, create an environment for medieval court drama. Incest, beheadings, assassinations, advisors stabbed in their sleep, secret lovers poisoned.

Put that stuff on TV, and you won't believe the marketing spinoff.
I have commented that celebrities are the modern aristocracy.

To support this contention I present The Fifth Marquess of Anglesey

Please check out his photo.

He inherited an estate of £110,000 pa in October 1898, and managed to accumulate debts of £544,000 by 1904, which was an achievement of sorts.

Those are the actual numbers with no adjustment for inflation.
Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM   #140
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I have commented that celebrities are the modern aristocracy.

To support this contention I present The Fifth Marquess of Anglesey

Please check out his photo.

He inherited an estate of £110,000 pa in October 1898, and managed to accumulate debts of £544,000 by 1904, which was an achievement of sorts.

Those are the actual numbers with no adjustment for inflation.

Glorious!

Modern royals are too boring IMHO. In the Netherlands we have the most straight-laced royal house ever. You’d almost forget that only a generation ago we had a gun-toting, tattooed, philandering prince who was involved in shady arms deals to support his illegitimate children. So much more fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM   #141
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

How about keep the royals, but only if they survive at least halfway through that bake off show. Let them prove their worth by baking cookies and frosting cakes and looking that evil old harpy right in her blue glass eyes!
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM   #142
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

I was a bit shocked and surprised to read on the internet that the Queen supposedly once described Prince Charles as pathetic, if not his beautiful wife. There is a bit of background information about this at this website:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...ing-king.html/

Quote:
Bower explains, “At a recent dinner with friends in Mayfair, Philip joked about his determination to live beyond 95. The reason for his and the Queen’s longevity, he explained amid his friends’ laughter, was to keep Charles from the throne.”

Last edited by Henri McPhee; Yesterday at 08:29 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events