ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th August 2018, 10:32 AM   #1
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The Trump Presidency IX: Nein, Nein!

Don't worry about secrets. Omarosa is going to spill them all. Then we'll see what's what.
Old 16th August 2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Don't worry about secrets. Omarosa is going to spill them all. Then we'll see what's what.
I see her as the first in a long stream of WH staff who will be more than willing to dish on this administration. He surrounded himself with power hungry morons willing to sell their souls to suck up to him and now they are going to turn on him. I'd like to feel sorry for him, but I just can't muster the energy.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 10:40 AM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I see her as the first in a long stream of WH staff who will be more than willing to dish on this administration. He surrounded himself with power hungry morons willing to sell their souls to suck up to him and now they are going to turn on him. I'd like to feel sorry for him, but I just can't muster the energy.
Agreed, and a lot of them are going to be a lot more creditable then Omarosa, who, frankly, I put right up with Trump in the assume they are lying until proven otherwise department.
And the buzz is already building that Bob Woodward new book "Fear:Inside the Trump White House" is going to be full of interesting things.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 10:48 AM   #4
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Agreed, and a lot of them are going to be a lot more creditable then Omarosa, who, frankly, I put right up with Trump in the assume they are lying until proven otherwise department.
And the buzz is already building that Bob Woodward new book "Fear:Inside the Trump White House" is going to be full of interesting things.
Her recordings make her credibility a bit less important.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 10:56 AM   #5
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Her recordings make her credibility a bit less important.
Maybe if she has any recordings of anything significant.

(And yes, I realize that for some reason, Dolt 45 saying the dreaded "N-Word" would convince people that he's a racist, despite his decades of openly racist behavior that they'll ignore. I've likely said my piece on that sort of stupidity before - likely back when Obama used the word on Marc Maron's podcast and people started clutching their pearls about how awful it was.)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 01:00 PM   #6
SezMe
post-pre-born

The Trump Presidency IX: Nein, Nein!

Mod InfoThis is a continuation thread. Part XIII can be found here.
Posted By:Loss Leader

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Using his official office to savage people's reputations seems worse to me than the fact that he fires people who serve at his pleasure, or arbitrarily revokes security clearances when he clearly has authority to do so.
Whether one can do something is totally different than whether one should do so.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 16th August 2018 at 04:41 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 01:02 PM   #7
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I'm not sure. Turn it 108°. Has the far right wing of the GOP driven center-right voters away? Not that I can see.
Yeah, the niche formerly occupied by "centrists" is now filled with modern neoliberal democrats.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 01:07 PM   #8
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Catchy new campaign slogan for the Democrats:
"We're not going to make America great again. It was never that great."
-- Democrat Governor Andrew Cuomo (Aug 15, 2018)
No link. Got one? What was the context in which this was allegedly stated? Or is that too nuanced?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 01:26 PM   #9
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
There were things about yesteryear that were better. But of course, we're being selective and it's only through our own eyes. For me, I was much better looking, physically fit and could endure almost anything. But I was broke all the time. Nostalgia is a strange thing. We have a tendency to filter out the bad stuff and also forget that life is generally more fun when we are young regardless of the experience of society as a whole.
Billy Joel sang about this back in 1983

Quote:
Say goodbye to the
Oldies but goodies
Cause the good ole days weren't
Always good
And tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems
Old 16th August 2018, 01:27 PM   #10
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
When the black person was elected President.
Yep. Now, just come out and say it, so we all know what you mean.
Old 16th August 2018, 01:47 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

"The Good Old Days" to the hard core Trump supporters means "When White Males had a monopoly on power and *******, Greasers,Chinks and Women knew their places".

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove breach of rule 10

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by Agatha; 17th August 2018 at 02:37 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 01:57 PM   #12
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

"The Good Old Days" to the hard core Trump supporters means "When White Males had a monopoly on power and *******, Greasers,Chinks and Women knew their places".
You can say that, and oh they will object, but try to get them to give their own answer? Not so much.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited quote for rule 10

Last edited by Agatha; 17th August 2018 at 02:38 PM.
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 02:17 PM   #13
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Soundbites like Cuomo's are often called unforced errors. I suggest they are almost impossible to avoid and better approach is to have a response to them such as putting the rest of the sentence or sentences out in as numerous a way as the soundbite is put out there.
You may have noticed that I took that approach when I re-quoted what Cuomo said in greater detail.
I'm not convinced that Cuomo made an error : an unexpected and apparently shocking statement is a well-established rhetorical tactic. A more anodyne speech would probably have passed unnoticed, but here we are discussing the speech he actully made. There's no way to prevent the likes of The Big Dog plucking it out and declaring "Gotcha!", but they're talking to themselves.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 02:20 PM   #14
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Of course, this is the beauty of the MAGA campaign. You don't actually have to define when it was great, and leave that as an exercise to the reader. So someone can say it was the 40s, and another can say the 60s and another can say the 80s, and they can all be content in the belief that they are right.
Every Trumpist will have their own answer, and presumably thinks Trump would have the same one.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 02:20 PM   #15
C_Felix
Master Poster

Of course, this is the beauty of the MAGA campaign. You don't actually have to define when it was great, and leave that as an exercise to the reader. So someone can say it was the 40s, and another can say the 60s and another can say the 80s, and they can all be content in the belief that they are right.
Do you really think Trump:
A) Had such nuanced thoughts about the pliability of the term MAGA
B) Or the words, "Make America Great Again" just sounded good to him? (since the black guy ruined America.)*

I'm going with the latter.

*total sarcasm there.
Old 16th August 2018, 02:31 PM   #16
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

"And tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems ...".

This is that tomorrow, and it really is as bad as it seems.

1983 was, of coure, one of the very early years of the neo-classical (aka voodoo) economics that became the new orthodoxy ushered in by Thatcher and Reagan. I don't think many of us realised then just how gross the concentration of wealth and the extent of income inequality would become by now.

Old 16th August 2018, 02:40 PM   #17
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Billy Joel wrote some great songs. It's too bad that he stopped.
Old 16th August 2018, 02:56 PM   #18
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

I'm surprised and disheartened that this forum allows you to keep posting your disgusting racial slurs:
"Some of the Trump supporters posting here spent 2008 to 2016 complaining about that N Word In The White House." -- dudalb

"Candace Owens... She is one of the House N Words for the far right." -- dudalb
Edited by Agatha:  Edited quote for rule 10

Last edited by Agatha; 17th August 2018 at 02:39 PM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 03:06 PM   #19
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Neither of those are the gotcha that you think.

Context is everything, Obama used the N-word in a thoughtful speech, where it was better to say it than pretend it wasn't being used.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 03:34 PM   #20
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Every Trumpist will have their own answer, and presumably thinks Trump would have the same one.
Politicians’ words are cast about to land like Rorschach ink splotches in today’s build your own reality world. Trump is not one for loading up with detail and context that might confine the freedom of meaning to his speech.
Old 16th August 2018, 03:50 PM   #21
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Context is everything, Obama used the N-word in a thoughtful speech, where it was better to say it than pretend it wasn't being used.
We saw that with the Trump “grab’em’ by the pussy” tape. Some conservative pundits were running whataboutism on the use of the word “pussy,” either disingenuously ignoring the meaning conveyed - bragging about sexual assualt, or truely believing the outrage was over the utterance of a taboo word.

The N word is not the problem. It is the historical concepts of the place of African Americans in relation to white America that are carried forward when someone wields it as a slur, which Obama so obviously was not.

Words dont have essential meanings and their power is not in their mere utterance as if from some dark grimoire.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 16th August 2018 at 03:54 PM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 04:08 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And I think the whole N word instead of the actual word is silly anyway. Yes, it is a disgusting word, but I don't get why this term of racial abuse gets the F Word treatment but every other term of racial abuse is OK to spell out.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th August 2018, 04:21 PM   #23
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

One Trump supporter here says we should stop reading Trump's tweets and concerntrate on what he does.
in other words, ignore that Trump's tweets increasingly show him to be paranoid and mentally unstable, as well as a being incredibly ignorant.
But hey, what does that matter as long as I get my tax cuts...

It isn't clear to me that what he does presents a more attractive picture.

Maybe we're supposed to ignore that, too.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 04:42 PM   #24
C_Felix
Master Poster

Quote:
One Trump supporter here says we should stop reading Trump's tweets and concerntrate on what he does.
in other words, ignore that Trump's tweets increasingly show him to be paranoid and mentally unstable, as well as a being incredibly ignorant.
But hey, what does that matter as long as I get my tax cuts...
Quote from dudalb

Aren't tweets official statements from the Office of the President?
We shouldn't read official statements from the President?
Old 16th August 2018, 06:18 PM   #25
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Stories all over the place that Trump wanted Omorosa arrested, but Sessions refused because Omorosa has broken no federal law.
If Trump now thinks he should have the right to have people arrested on his whim, then his delusions are worse then we thought...if that is possible.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th August 2018, 06:21 PM   #26
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Stories all over the place that Trump wanted Omorosa arrested, but Sessions refused because Omorosa has broken no federal law.
If Trump now thinks he should have the right to have people arrested on his whim, then his delusions are worse then we thought...if that is possible.
I've heard something of this, but not from a reliable source. The Times or Post or PBS or NPR on this story? Sorry if I missed it on their sites.

ETA: Never mind. It comes from Vanity Fair originally.

Last edited by phiwum; 16th August 2018 at 06:23 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 07:57 PM   #27
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I've heard something of this, but not from a reliable source. The Times or Post or PBS or NPR on this story? Sorry if I missed it on their sites.

ETA: Never mind. It comes from Vanity Fair originally.

Yes.
Quote:
And Trump told advisers that he wants Attorney General Jeff Sessions to have Manigault Newman arrested, according to one Republican briefed on the conversations. (It’s unclear what law Trump believes she broke.)
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...riggered-trump

Trump literally thinks he was elected emperor.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 12:14 AM   #28
Lurch
Muse

This past week has been kinda good for my schadenfreude fix. Snowflake, triggered Trump has been dancing to Omarosa's tune, she of his creation who has equaled, if not bettered, her mentor. Those tapes of hers are delicious sauce for that increasingly cooked goose. Trump is being driven to intensifying mania that will push him to accelerate his political demise.

And I hope the Trumpists are feeling a quickening panic, too. Especially the evangelicals who think their powerful and wise God has arranged to install this immoral, amoral, self-absorbed, un-Christian criminal as head of a nation.

Last edited by Lurch; 17th August 2018 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Changed one word to avoid plebeian, un-literary repetition ;)
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 01:24 AM   #29
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Part IX already? How time flies! For the tag line I would have used “trump harder” or “trump strikes back”
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 03:27 AM   #30
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Turkey has taken advantage of the United States for many years. They are now holding our wonderful Christian Pastor, who I must now ask to represent our Country as a great patriot hostage. We will pay nothing for the release of an innocent man, but we are cutting back on Turkey!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 03:28 AM   #31
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"How can “Senator” Richard Blumenthal, who went around for twenty years as a Connecticut politician bragging that he was a great Marine war hero in Vietnam (then got caught and sobbingly admitted he was neither a Marine nor ever in Vietnam), pass judgement on anyone? Loser!"

"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 03:33 AM   #32
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
I'm surprised and disheartened that this forum allows you to keep posting your disgusting racial slurs:
On a serious note, as a Trump supporter, has anything this administration done had the same effect on you?
Old 17th August 2018, 03:55 AM   #33
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Quote:
NYT: Little-Known Justice Dept. Official Makes Trump’s Security Clearance List “Such access is particularly inappropriate when former officials have transitioned into highly partisan positions and seek to use real or perceived access to sensitive information to validate their political attacks,” Mr. Trump said in a statement read at the daily White House briefing by his press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders. She also announced that John O. Brennan, the former C.I.A. director, was losing his clearance altogether.
The President, his party, and his voters are openly traitors to the nation (Russia), democracy (vote suppression), and the rule of law (Regal Trumpism). Meanwhile, public officials across the spectrum in government have been silenced about everything from climate change to Russian hacking.

It is important for critics to validate their efforts with facts, which are, OMG, a deadly threat, apparently. Sigh. At least this presidency is doing away with every single little fig leaf Republican racists have been hiding behind since 1980 and Reagan's inauguration of full-on Magical Thinking for White People: A How-To for Good Ole Boy Leg Ups.
Old 17th August 2018, 04:15 AM   #34
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

The Dolt argued with members of Vietnam Vets Organisations about whether Agent Orange or Napalm was used in the movie apocalypse now ( he thought it was agent orange and “refused to admit he was mistaken”) amongst other things.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...h-vietnam-vets
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 04:19 AM   #35
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
The Dolt argued with members of Vietnam Vets Organisations about whether Agent Orange or Napalm was used in the movie apocalypse now ( he thought it was agent orange and “refused to admit he was mistaken”) amongst other things.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...h-vietnam-vets
No, nothing abnormal about Trump's mental health, how very dare you suggest such a thing.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 04:23 AM   #36
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

No, nothing abnormal about Trump's mental health, how very dare you suggest such a thing.

I wouldn’t dare to impugn my beloved god emperor. In light of the above, I have recalibrated my memory and I now believe agent orange was used in Apocalypse Now.
Old 17th August 2018, 04:26 AM   #37
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Regarding the revocation of security clearances...

A word that just popped into my head was “purge”. To date, I have not heard it used in this context.

It seems appropriate in this case. It’s a hallmark of authoritarians. Purge the government of all vestiges of prior administrations.

Thoughts?
Old 17th August 2018, 04:29 AM   #38
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

it fits with the observations Fast Eddie B.
Old 17th August 2018, 04:34 AM   #39
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Making America great coincides with removing people the Dolt doesn’t like, holds grudges against etc

It’s an eerie coincidence, but just that. Clearly.
Old 17th August 2018, 04:36 AM   #40
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Department of Defence announced that Donald Trump’s military parade, scheduled for November has now been officially “postponed” until 2019.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics