ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 20th August 2018, 05:50 AM   #201
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
A lot of people on the right bought into the fear mongering, convinced with the lies that everyone on the left is just waiting to turn the county into a communist version of economics, oblivious to the irony of Putin helping Trump get elected.
I think a lot of people on the right didn't believe the Russia stuff at all, at first. It squelched like the same mud they wallow in all day, and they know most of that is crap.* Then by the time it became undeniable they were already invested in it, and the only thing worse than a hostile foreign power coopting the highest office in the land is admitting they were wrong about it.

*A figure of speech, of course. Republicans are actually very clean animals.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 06:04 AM   #202
Worm
Master Poster

Coal is indestructible?

Wow, it must really suck as fuel.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 06:09 AM   #203
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Coal is indestructible?

Wow, it must really suck as fuel.

But it sounds like a good thing to store fuel in.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 06:23 AM   #204
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
But it sounds like a good thing to store fuel in.
You're not thinking.

Just build wind turbines out of it, then they'll be resistant to the boom boom pow, or whatever Black Eyed Peas song the clown was quoting.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 06:27 AM   #205
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
You're not thinking.

Just build wind turbines out of it, then they'll be resistant to the boom boom pow, or whatever Black Eyed Peas song the clown was quoting.

Man, you should get a job as Trump's Logic Translator, that's the best spin on his nonsense I've yet seen!
Old 20th August 2018, 06:48 AM   #206
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Is it? So far I've heard 4 recordings and only one with Trump and that was on the phone. It seems as if they want the WH to be totally secure they would have to prohibit cell phones in the White House.

They hired Omarosa, first mistake, they trusted her, second mistake. But in a White House where the President treats trust as a one way street, it seems highly unreasonable to think anyone is trustworthy. I mean, if I think you are going to throw me under the bus at some point I'm going to prepare counter measures.
And here you demonstrate more theory of mind than the president. He simply cannot imagine people would expect his back stabbing and plan for it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 07:50 AM   #207
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Trump's twitter account has gone off the rails in the last few hours:

Quote:
"Disgraced and discredited Bob Mueller and his whole group of Angry Democrat Thugs spent over 30 hours with the White House Councel (sic), only with my approval, for purposes of transparency. Anybody needing that much time when they know there is no Russian Collusion is just someone....
....looking for trouble. They are enjoying ruining people’s lives and REFUSE to look at the real corruption on the Democrat side - the lies, the firings, the deleted Emails and soooo much more! Mueller’s Angry Dems are looking to impact the election. They are a National Disgrace!
Where’s the Collusion? They made up a phony crime called Collusion, and when there was no Collusion they say there was Obstruction (of a phony crime that never existed). If you FIGHT BACK or say anything bad about the Rigged Witch Hunt, they scream Obstruction!"
There are four subsequent tweets as well.

He can't really believe all of this, can he? This is really just a tactic to discredit Mueller in much the same way as the 2016 election was "rigged". To try and influence public opinion if it turns out badly for him.

eta: I'm pretty sure he's deliberately trying to misspell 'counsel' in as many different ways as possible.

Last edited by TofuFighter; 20th August 2018 at 07:57 AM.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 07:56 AM   #208
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
He can't really believe all of this, can he?

I think it's entirely possible that Trump is the worst kind of BSer, that being a BSer who actually believes their own BS. Because there's literally no way to stop a guy who believes everything that comes out of his own mouth, at the moment he's saying it.

Some who knows they're full of **** can sometimes be shamed into silence, at least. How do you shame someone who doesn't even know that they're full of ******
Old 20th August 2018, 08:41 AM   #209
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I should have known better. It has reached the point where no one can even imagine a spoof more stupid than the crap Trump does casually every day.
President Poe.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 08:43 AM   #210
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

The Dolt is daring Brennan to sue now!

Popcorn.gif
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 09:23 AM   #211
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
President Poe.
Nominated for truth.
Old 20th August 2018, 09:28 AM   #212
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
You're not thinking.

Thank you for making me laugh WAY too loud in a McDonald's queue.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 09:51 AM   #213
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

There are four subsequent tweets as well.

He can't really believe all of this, can he? This is really just a tactic to discredit Mueller in much the same way as the 2016 election was "rigged". To try and influence public opinion if it turns out badly for him.

eta: I'm pretty sure he's deliberately trying to misspell 'counsel' in as many different ways as possible.

Dibs on the "Angry Dems" trademark for T-shirts, mugs, ... man I'm gonna make a fortune. It'll be like the "Deplorables" merchandize but without the shame.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 10:07 AM   #214
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is how Fox News propaganda works:

They have a pundit on this morning who made the bold statement that the net farm income fell by 50% under Obama. The group discussion praises Trump's tariffs as sorely needed, yadda yadda. One speaks up about the dangers of the state picking winners and losers and they have a bit of a discussion about soy beans ending in the prediction China will buy our soy beans again, they need them.

I was struck by the claim of net farm income falling by 50% under Obama. It didn't sound credible. I was right.

Net farm annual income from 2000 to 2018.

Yes, the net income fell by 50% under Obama after it went up by 50% under Obama.

What a dishonest assertion leaving out the fact that the income was the same today as it was in 2009. And certainly there's no evidence Trump's whackadoodle tariffs are a rational response to the economy.

But there's no doubt Trumpers are going to be citing the fall in farm income during Obama's admin without ever looking at the actual facts.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th August 2018 at 10:08 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 10:15 AM   #215
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And here you demonstrate more theory of mind than the president. He simply cannot imagine people would expect his back stabbing and plan for it.
He really things EVERYONE else is stupid and that he can charm them right out of their panties even after he shows no hesitation to stab others in the back. It appears though with some people he can....but they're not everyone.
Old 20th August 2018, 10:34 AM   #216
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Here's the transcript of Trump's remarks at a New York fundraiser last week about coal and windmills.

But itís a tremendous form of energy in the sense that in a military way - think of it - coal is indestructible.

You can blow up a pipeline, you can blow up windmills. You know, the windmills, boom, boom, boom, bing, thatís the end of that one.
And of course if we went to solar, we'd have to worry about the terrorists blowing up the sun.
Quote:
They kill so many birds. You look underneath one of those windmills, itís like a killing field, the birds.
Yes, because birds would prefer to live in an area that's just been strip-mined for coal, and/or in waterways that have had coal-ash dumped in them.
Quote:
And you know, donít worry about when the wind doesnít blow - I said,ĒWhat happens when the wind doesnít blow? Well, then we have a problemĒ
Wow, I had never though of that problem. Why haven't other people thought about that?
Quote:
They were putting them in areas where they didnít have much wind too. And itís a subsidary - you need subsidy for windmills, you need subsidy.
Who wants to have energy where you need subsidy? So, the coal is doing great."
Never mind the fact that some of Trump's early plans (requiring power plants to have a certain amount of fuel reserves) also amounted to a subsidy to the coal industry.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 10:41 AM   #217
Cain
Straussian

Trump attacks Robert Mueller as a "thug" and a "national disgrace," but says Paul Manafort is a "good guy." Does Mueller respond by tweeting bitchy comments? Leaking to the press? So far as we know he keeps head down and continues to do the work.

It's like almost half of the country watches a Captain America and roots against Steve Rogers. Hail Hydra! It's mind-boggling.
Old 20th August 2018, 10:48 AM   #218
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

The Trump Presidency IX: Nein, Nein!

The Dolt canceled his desired military parade before Pentagon officials briefed him on cost estimates for the event, a Defense Department spokesman said Monday.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/40...riefed-on-cost

Good lord!
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 10:52 AM   #219
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
The Dolt canceled his desired military parade before Pentagon officials briefed him on cost estimates for the event, a Defense Department spokesman said Monday.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/40...riefed-on-cost

Good lord!

He found out he couldn't have tanks, so why bother?
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 10:54 AM   #220
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Which just goes to show... Trump is either psychic or a time-travelling wizard who knows the future.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 10:58 AM   #221
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Everybody wants to keep their Security Clearance, it’s worth great prestige and big dollars, even board seats, and that is why certain people are coming forward to protect Brennan. It certainly isn’t because of the good job he did! He is a political “hack.”"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 10:59 AM   #222
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

TrumpTweets

"It is outrageous that Poisonous Synthetic Heroin Fentanyl comes pouring into the U.S. Postal System from China. We can, and must, END THIS NOW! The Senate should pass the STOP ACT Ė and firmly STOP this poison from killing our children and destroying our country. No more delay!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 11:01 AM   #223
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Trump attacks Robert Mueller as a "thug" and a "national disgrace," but says Paul Manafort is a "good guy." Does Mueller respond by tweeting bitchy comments? Leaking to the press? So far as we know he keeps head down and continues to do the work.

It's like almost half of the country watches a Captain America and roots against Steve Rogers. Hail Hydra! It's mind-boggling.

In support of this,

Who said this?

Quote:
The failing @nytimes wrote a Fake piece today implying that because White House Councel Don McGahn was giving hours of testimony to the Special Councel, he must be a John Dean type “RAT.” But I allowed him and all others to testify - I didn’t have to. I have nothing to hide......
John Dean was a RAT for telling the truth and taking his punishment
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 11:10 AM   #224
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
TrumpTweets

"It is outrageous that Poisonous Synthetic Heroin Fentanyl comes pouring into the U.S. Postal System from China. We can, and must, END THIS NOW! The Senate should pass the STOP ACT Ė and firmly STOP this poison from killing our children and destroying our country. No more delay!"

Heís only outraged that itís not US Pharma thatís killing children and destroying the US.
Old 20th August 2018, 11:14 AM   #225
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"Do you know the difference between a crisis and a catastrophe? A crisis is if Donald Trump falls into the Potomac River and can’t swim. A catastrophe is if anybody saves his ass."
-- Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Fla (Aug 19, 2018)

Rumor has it, Maxine Waters is writing the material for his stand-up routine.
Great Joke, Bro.
Anyway, no worse then what I have heard Trump Supporters say about Hilary and any other politician who dares to oppose Dear Leader.

Last edited by dudalb; 20th August 2018 at 11:27 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 11:39 AM   #226
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
He found out he couldn't have tanks, so why bother?
This.
He wants to go back to France for the cool parade, and he can hardly risk having to compare his little-league parade to a big display of military power.
Old 20th August 2018, 12:05 PM   #227
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
In support of this,

Who said this?

John Dean was a RAT for telling the truth and taking his punishment
The similarities to Watergate are tough to ignore. Nixon probably didn't initially know about the DNC break-in, but he played a role in covering it up. The Russians break into the DNC, most likely without Trump's knowledge, though he probably knew about it before the general public and helped in the cover up. If this were a movie sequel, people would complain that it repeated the same beats as the original.
Old 20th August 2018, 12:15 PM   #228
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The similarities to Watergate are tough to ignore. Nixon probably didn't initially know about the DNC break-in, but he played a role in covering it up. The Russians break into the DNC, most likely without Trump's knowledge, though he probably knew about it before the general public and helped in the cover up. If this were a movie sequel, people would complain that it repeated the same beats as the original.
But with the homage to Marx's famous aphorism about how history repeats itself
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 12:19 PM   #229
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just because they didn't prove Nixon knew about the break-in ahead of time doesn't mean he didn't know.

As for Trump, there's every indication he was informed about the Trump Tower meeting before and after it took place.
Old 20th August 2018, 12:22 PM   #230
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
But with the homage to Marx's famous aphorism about how history repeats itself
Honestly Trump brings in both of Nixon's worst acts to get elected, Watergate and sabotaging negotiations in vietnam. Only of course unlike Nixon he brags about how great america's enemies are.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 12:37 PM   #231
zorro99
Muse

John 18: 38 What is truth?
Old 20th August 2018, 12:43 PM   #232
Bob001
Philosopher

More on how we got here:
Quote:
It has often been written, and Iíve written it myself, that the Republicans have been weak in the face of Trumpism. But Iíve come to think thatís wrong. Theyíre not weak at all. Most of them are perfectly happy to have become Trumpís vassals. They were waiting for just such a man.
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/201...-to-the-chief/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 12:51 PM   #233
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Great Joke, Bro.
Anyway, no worse then what I have heard Trump Supporters say about Hilary and any other politician who dares to oppose Dear Leader.
It's pretty desperate when you have to dig up odd examples of individual Trump opponents behaving like Trump supporters to justify your whataboutism in defending Trump and his own leadership team.
Old 20th August 2018, 12:52 PM   #234
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
John 18: 38 What is truth?
Trump 1:1 "Whatever I say it is"
Old 20th August 2018, 01:38 PM   #235
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm reminded of this exchange from Jesus Christ Superstar

Quote:
[JESUS]
There may be a kingdom for me somewhere - if I only knew

[PILATE]
Then you're a king? --

[JESUS]
-- It's you that say I am
I look for truth, and find that I get damned

[PILATE]
But what is truth? Is truth unchanging law?
We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?
Old 20th August 2018, 01:59 PM   #236
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Mueller might be quietly rocking himself and weeping in a darkened room due to the tweets. Hence the slow progress.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 02:11 PM   #237
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Mueller might be quietly rocking himself and weeping in a darkened room due to the tweets. Hence the slow progress.
I picture Mueller grim-faced, with gritted teeth, making many backups, yet allowing himself a wry smile in quiet moments. Doing a job.
Old 20th August 2018, 02:11 PM   #238
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I imagine The PDJT has a whiteboard with a list of distractions he can use, complete with the amount of "hit points". At the top of the list (his "smart bombs", as it were) are

Fire Mueller
Fire Rosenstein
Fire Sessions
Old 20th August 2018, 02:14 PM   #239
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I imagine The PDJT has a whiteboard with a list of distractions he can use, complete with the amount of "hit points". At the top of the list (his "smart bombs", as it were) are

Fire Mueller
Fire Rosenstein
Fire Sessions
Fire
Fire on the Mountain

Oh, sorry, you just got a Grateful Dead song stuck in my head.
Old 20th August 2018, 02:15 PM   #240
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I'm reminded of this exchange from Jesus Christ Superstar
Damn you for beating me to that quote..I was about to post it myself.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics