ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 21st August 2018, 09:23 AM   #281
Garrison
Illuminator

Quote:
The Treasury Department reports that in the first 10 months of this budget year, the deficit totaled $684 billion, up 20.8 percent from the same period last year. Revenues are up only 1 percent this year with the increase held back by a big drop in corporate tax payments. Spending is up 4.4 percent, reflecting a big boost Congress approved earlier this year for domestic and military programs and rising costs to finance the debt.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The argument that windmills kill birds is notoriously bad.

It is estimated that wind turbines kill anywhere between 25 thousand to as many as 600,000 birds worldwide. Except nobody really knows. There have been few real studies with credible data collection.

Sounds like a lot of birds. It's not. Glass skyscrapers kill millions of birds. Windows are huge bird killers and house cats are estimated to 3.8 BILLION birds every year.

Perspective.

If we've learned anything its that trumpistas are immune to mere facts and real numbers, they only believe the made up ones Trump himself spouts.
Old 21st August 2018, 09:34 AM   #282
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Paris called Mudd a liar after insulting him that people want security clearances for the money.

No wonder Mudd said, "We're done."

And Sling thinks this makes Mudd look bad?
Absent much of anything but flyby quotes, who really knows?
Old 21st August 2018, 09:50 AM   #283
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"Fake News, of which there is soooo much (this time the very tired New Yorker) falsely reported that I was going to take the extraordinary step of denying Intelligence Briefings to President Obama. Never discussed or thought of!"

"Even James Clapper has admonished John Brennan for having gone totally off the rails. Maybe Clapper is being nice to me so he doesnít lose his Security Clearance for lying to Congress!"

"A Blue Wave means Crime and Open Borders. A Red Wave means Safety and Strength!"
Trump has just admitted that "being nice" to him" is a requirement for keeping one's security clearance. It could not get any clearer that he is threatening those who dare speak out against him. Nah, that's not stifling free speech. He's big on the Second Amendment. Not so much on the First.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 09:52 AM   #284
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

"Bill DeBlasio, the high taxing Mayor of NYC, just stole my campaign slogan: PROMISES MADE PROMISES KEPT! Thatís not at all nice. No imagination! @foxandfriends"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 10:04 AM   #285
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Trump tweets

"Bill DeBlasio, the high taxing Mayor of NYC, just stole my campaign slogan: PROMISES MADE PROMISES KEPT! Thatís not at all nice. No imagination! @foxandfriends"
DeBlasio took a page out of Mrs. Trump's playbook "How to Steal a Speech and Pass it Off as Your Own".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 10:10 AM   #286
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Trump tweets

Sez the guy who stole his campaign slogan from Reagan.
Old 21st August 2018, 10:51 AM   #287
SezMe
post-pre-born

Again, offered without comment.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 11:11 AM   #288
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Cohen reaches plea deal in tax fraud case!!

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/402...fraud-case-abc

I await the Dolts response.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 11:13 AM   #289
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Sez the guy who stole his campaign slogan from Reagan.

And stole his 2020 campaign slogan from a horror/action movie about the rich people controlling the government arranging the mass murder of the poor.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 11:22 AM   #290
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Again, offered without comment.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I must be psychic; I just knew Randy would do that!
Old 21st August 2018, 11:46 AM   #291
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The argument that windmills kill birds is notoriously bad.

It is estimated that wind turbines kill anywhere between 25 thousand to as many as 600,000 birds worldwide. Except nobody really knows. There have been few real studies with credible data collection.

Sounds like a lot of birds. It's not. Glass skyscrapers kill millions of birds. Windows are huge bird killers and house cats are estimated to 3.8 BILLION birds every year.

Perspective.
Also the double standards are astonishing, removing environmental regulations (so companies can make more profit) therefore harming critters is good unless the company is a windmill company then the effect on critters is of the utmost importance. It almost seems that it isn't the bird deaths that are important.
Old 21st August 2018, 12:12 PM   #292
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

A little news about Kavanaugh (Trump's supreme court nominee).

Republican senator Collins (who claims to be pro-choice/pro-women, and who could in theory be the vote that blocks the appointment) had a meeting with Kavanaugh where he claimed Roe v. Wade was "settled law". So, what this means is that (in theory) Collins is a bit more likely to vote to confirm (since she can point to the claim of "settled law".)

Of course, in practice, abortion laws are still under attack. Even if Kavanaugh won't vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, he could very well vote in favor of other abortion restrictions (perhaps allowing states to impose waiting times, or limits on the number of abortion clinics) without overturning abortion rights completely.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/polit...law/index.html

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 12:18 PM   #293
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Republican senator Collins (who claims to be pro-choice/pro-women, and who could in theory be the vote that blocks the appointment) had a meeting with Kavanaugh where he claimed Roe v. Wade was "settled law". So, what this means is that (in theory) Collins is a bit more likely to vote to confirm (since she can point to the claim of "settled law".)

Of course, in practice, abortion laws are still under attack. Even if Kavanaugh won't vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, he could very well vote in favor of other abortion restrictions (perhaps allowing states to impose waiting times, or limits on the number of abortion clinics) without overturning abortion rights completely.

Exactly. But I still think the major reason Trump nominated Kavanaugh is due to his statements regarding a sitting president's immunity to investigation and criminal indictment.
Old 21st August 2018, 12:23 PM   #294
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Tammy Duckworth tore into Collins on this. Collins claimed the same thing with Gorsuch, who wrote a book on precedent. And then in one of the first things he did on the SC, he voted to overturn a 100 year old precedent.

These "office assurances" are worth the paper their written on.
Old 21st August 2018, 12:38 PM   #295
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Exactly. But I still think the major reason Trump nominated Kavanaugh is due to his statements regarding a sitting president's immunity to investigation and criminal indictment.
Quite possible.

But I've always wondered how it was supposed to work. Even if he were opposed to any sort of investigation, etc. against the president, Kavanaugh would be only one vote on the supreme court. So, you'd have to get 4 other supreme court justices to agree with him on any case involving the president. Now, granted, we can assume that at least some judges would similarly want to give the president a free pass (I think we can assume Gorsuch has no moral principles and would side with Trump), but there is no guarantee that at least one or 2 of the normally conservative-leaning judges will vote against Trump.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 12:41 PM   #296
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And of course how he was so involved in getting Bill Clinton on the stand. As a massive hypocrite that has to appeal to Trump.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 12:43 PM   #297
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Quite possible.

But I've always wondered how it was supposed to work. Even if he were opposed to any sort of investigation, etc. against the president, Kavanaugh would be only one vote on the supreme court. So, you'd have to get 4 other supreme court justices to agree with him on any case involving the president. Now, granted, we can assume that at least some judges would similarly want to give the president a free pass (I think we can assume Gorsuch has no moral principles and would side with Trump), but there is no guarantee that at least one or 2 of the normally conservative-leaning judges will vote against Trump.
I agree that Kavanaugh's being on the court would not guarantee it, but it certainly would indicate to Trump that he'd have at least one arguing that case to the others. As you say, Gorsuch would likely side with Trump and I suspect it would not be that hard to get the other conservative judges to agree. I think we'd see a split on the usual lines. What the SC needed was another moderate to balance the court, not another liberal or conservative.
Old 21st August 2018, 12:49 PM   #298
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There is a distinct lack of dead birds around our local wind farm.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 12:53 PM   #299
Stacyhs
Illuminator

And my daughter has complained several times to the appropriate department at her work about the dead birds she finds daily at the base of the glass fronted buildings.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 21st August 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 21st August 2018, 12:53 PM   #300
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

it's a conspiracy
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 12:59 PM   #301
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Have you ever seen the rotational speed of the blades on these big wind turbines? It really isn't that fast. I find it very hard to believe that they pose more of a hazard than the burning of fossil fuels.
Old 21st August 2018, 01:02 PM   #302
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

The swamp Trump brought with him is being drained - Cohen pleads guilty to bank fraud.
Old 21st August 2018, 01:03 PM   #303
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SO Cohen is going Joe Valachi on Trump....this is going to be fun.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 01:03 PM   #304
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The swamp Trump brought with him is being drained - Cohen pleads guilty to bank fraud.
And to campaign finance fraud is being reported.
Old 21st August 2018, 01:05 PM   #305
SuburbanTurkey
Critical Thinker

I love it. Trump brings a bunch of cronies to the white house who's only qualifications are personal loyalty and they even fail on that regard. Trump truly is stupid Nixon.
Old 21st August 2018, 01:07 PM   #306
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am getting images of that final shot of a rat running across the screen in "The Departed"....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 01:11 PM   #307
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Absent much of anything but flyby quotes, who really knows?
Depends on what you think this response to Trump's Tweet means:

Originally Posted by Trump's Tweet
"Just watched former Intelligence Official Phillip Mudd become totally unglued and weird while debating wonderful @PARISDENNARD over Brennan’s Security Clearance. Dennard destroyed him but Mudd is in no mental condition to have such a Clearance. Should be REVOKED?
Originally Posted by Sling's reply
"We're done. We're done. Get out!"
-- Phil Mudd (Aug 17, 2018)
Old 21st August 2018, 01:17 PM   #308
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO Cohen is going Joe Valachi on Trump....this is going to be fun.
May not be as much fun as we would have hoped...

From: https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/polit...lks/index.html
As part of the plea deal under discussion earlier Tuesday, Cohen was not expected to cooperate with the government, one source told CNN.

So, we'll have to wait and see whether Cohen has actually flipped on Trump, or whether the plea deal was just a way to prevent the case going to trial (where there are no guarantees of success by either side.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 21st August 2018, 01:52 PM   #309
Stacko
Philosopher

May not be as much fun as we would have hoped...

From: https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/polit...lks/index.html
As part of the plea deal under discussion earlier Tuesday, Cohen was not expected to cooperate with the government, one source told CNN.

So, we'll have to wait and see whether Cohen has actually flipped on Trump, or whether the plea deal was just a way to prevent the case going to trial (where there are no guarantees of success by either side.)
Big moment. Cohen admits to working at the direction of candidate Trump. Trump officially implicated.

Cohen implicates Trump in two schemes. First to suppress the story about Karen McDougal. Second in the payment to Stormy Daniels.

This is a very bad day for Trump. Cohen states that he made the payment to Stormy Daniels at the direction of candidate Trump.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 01:56 PM   #310
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The caveat on the Trump presidency is now cemented in history. He's president but could only achieve it through unlawful means.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 02:02 PM   #311
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
...Trump truly is stupid Nixon.
Originally Posted by Richard M. Nixon
"My fellow Americans, let me state, firmly and unequivocally, I resent anyone comparing Donald Trump to myself. Even as here, with the intent to disparage Mr. Trump, I resent having my name mentioned with his in the same sentence. In fact, he makes me glad indeed that I am no longer among the living!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frye Nixon.jpg (53.5 KB, 14 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 02:20 PM   #312
C_Felix
Master Poster

From NowThisPolitics:

Trump’s ex-lawyer Michael Cohen says he broke campaign finance laws ‘at the direction of’ Donald Trump, implicating the sitting U.S. president in a felony.
Old 21st August 2018, 02:23 PM   #313
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Manafort guilty on 8 of the charges.
Not a good day for the White House.
I can hear it now "If you cooperate with the Mueller investigation, Mr Manafort, it will be taken into consideration in your sentencing."

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st August 2018, 02:23 PM   #314
C_Felix
Master Poster

Can't wait for the Twitter meltdown.
Old 21st August 2018, 02:26 PM   #315
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
From NowThisPolitics:

Trumpís ex-lawyer Michael Cohen says he broke campaign finance laws Ďat the direction ofí Donald Trump, implicating the sitting U.S. president in a felony.
Yep. Do you guys think we will see more people jump ship soon? Seems like Trump will double-down as usual, which will only make things worse. Wouldn't be surprised to see resignations increase in the near future.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 02:26 PM   #316
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Can't wait for the Twitter meltdown.
He has a rally in West Virginia tonight. It's going to be a special one.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 02:28 PM   #317
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
hoo-boy...
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 02:30 PM   #318
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It is going to be fun watching him try to stick to the script.
Old 21st August 2018, 02:32 PM   #319
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

if those reports are true, deal or no deal Cohen is ratting on Donnie.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st August 2018, 02:40 PM   #320
Stacyhs
Illuminator

I can't wait for the FOX spin on this.

I doubt this is the last crime Trump will be implicated in by the time Mueller is through. No wonder Trump's been working overtime trying to discredit it. He knew what was coming. And what is yet to come, most likely.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics