ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 12th September 2018, 05:39 PM   #1841
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by River View Post
Do you think these ad campaigns contributed? If so, how much so.

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2017/10...d-to-congress/
Did you sleep through the 2016 election debriefing?

The fake news echo chamber on FB and Twitter, pushed by Russian trolls and bots, Trump's billions in free advertising by the major news networks that broadcast all his rallies live, help by Cambridge Analytica using the data from the DNC hacks that allowed specific voter targeting, and Comey's self serving blunder to go against normal SOPs all contributed to Clinton losing the EC. Paid ads were not an issue. Russia did it on the cheap. They apparently donated to a whole slew of GOP legislators' campaigns laundered through the NRA, but that is a different matter.

I find it entertaining how much everyone wants to classify someone as a trumpet, or not. This seems more important than the actual conversation to some. Definitely entertaining.

Lets hope the fisa documents become publicly available. This would be good for all Americans.
There has been more than adequate transparency about the FISA warrants. Only people getting their news diet from Fox and RT News are still clinging to the BS CT that any shenanigans went on re spying Carter Page.

Do you still believe Trump Tower was "wire tapped"?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th September 2018 at 05:41 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 06:04 PM   #1842
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I saw this series before, when it was called "Watergate".

Indeed! As time goes on, this looks more and more like Watergate 2.0
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 06:27 PM   #1843
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Yep, I'm well aware of what RT is and how they may be biased.

<snip>

It doesn't show. You hide it well.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 02:32 AM   #1844
Belz...
Fiend God

I saw this series before, when it was called "Watergate".
No, this one's a reboot. It's edgier.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 02:45 AM   #1845
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, wishing people good luck in their hopes and dreams is a hissy fit. Peace out.
Since you actually came back after your last flounce, could you answer my question? How do you see the Mueller probe ending? I put my money where my mouth is and said what I think is likely.
Old 13th September 2018, 03:06 AM   #1846
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I understand that. Now, do you understand what a perjury trap is?
Yes it involves questions with no actual investigative purpose solely to try to go anomaly hunting for fallible human memory. It is basic prosecutorial misconduct and has nothing to do with any of the things Trump could be called to testify about.

Just because Trump can not tell the truth from a lie does not mean it is a perjury trap.

Clintons wasn't either. He should have had his lawyer object on the grounds that any relationship he had was not relevant to the paula jones case.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 03:15 AM   #1847
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

This "perjury" nonsense is incredibly childish.
As if lying to the FBI/perjury is going to make the top five of any indictments against Trump.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:58 AM   #1848
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Trump's closest adviser says he will fire Mueller after the hurricane.

Linky.
If that happens the GOP can probably kiss both houses of Congress goodbye in November.

And, in case you have not noticied, Sean Hannity is full of **** anyway.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by zooterkin; 14th September 2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Rule 10 - do not try to circumvent the autocensor
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 12:03 PM   #1849
Belz...
Fiend God

If that happens the GOP can probably kiss both houses of Congress goodbye in November.

It's really insane that such a lunatic as Hannity would be listened to by anyone, to say nothing about POTUS.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by zooterkin; 14th September 2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Rule 10 in quoted post
Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 01:30 PM   #1850
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

A Newsweek "story" quoting Sean Hannity might be in contention for least believable thing ever.

Last edited by zooterkin; 14th September 2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Rule 10 in quoted post
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 03:14 PM   #1851
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort has tentatively agreed to a plea deal with special counsel Robert Mueller that will head off his upcoming trial, sources familiar with the negotiations tell ABC News.
Linky.

So... There's still no actual plea deal?
Old 13th September 2018, 03:17 PM   #1852
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
A Newsweek "story" quoting Sean Hannity might be in contention for least believable thing ever.
It's not about the veracity of what Hannity might say, it is about Trump's weird relationship with Hannity and FOX where he calls them all the time, and watches them all the time and gets advice.
Old 13th September 2018, 03:32 PM   #1853
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

It's not about the veracity of what Hannity might say, it is about Trump's weird relationship with Hannity and FOX where he calls them all the time, and watches them all the time and gets advice.
Oh, I get it. Still, I always hate clicking a Newsweek link. I could be more careful, I suppose, but I'd rather end up at the Fox News site.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 03:41 PM   #1854
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Indeed! As time goes on, this looks more and more like Watergate 2.0
With at least one of the major actors..Bob Woodward... returning for an encore

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 04:02 PM   #1855
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Linky.

If true, that is going to be one hell of a meltdown at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th September 2018, 05:59 PM   #1856
smartcooky
Philosopher

Linky.

Oh, there will be a plea deal alright.

Manafort has already been hammered on eight counts, and was very lucky to dodge the other ten counts with a hung jury. The SC hasn't yet decided if he's going to retry on those, and now Manafort is facing another eight counts on which is he almost certain to be found guilty.

If Manafort was simply trying to avoid the expense and stress of a trial, he would not need to negotiate any kind of deal...all he has to do is walk into the court and plead guilty. The fact that he is wanting a plea deal means he wants to both avoid these trials AND have a substantial reduction in his sentence... and I am quite certain that Mueller will not agree to any of that without Manafort flipping and giving full co-operation.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 09:49 PM   #1857
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's really insane that such a lunatic as Hannity would be listened to by anyone, to say nothing about POTUS.
Given that Alex Jones has believers... Hannity and his totally unprincipled behavior is not a stretch.
Old 14th September 2018, 12:22 AM   #1858
Aber
Graduate Poster

Linky.

IIRC there's a court hearing today in DC, which has been rescheduled from 9.30 to 11.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 06:00 AM   #1859
Aber
Graduate Poster

And Fox News says Manafort will plead guilty

Quote:
Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort will plead guilty in federal court Friday as part of a plea agreement with Special Counsel Robert Mueller, Fox News has learned.

Manafort, in a trial set to begin Sept. 24 in federal court in Washington, is facing seven counts of foreign lobbying violations and witness tampering.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 06:14 AM   #1860
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
With at least one of the major actors..Bob Woodward... returning for an encore
A cameo, really. More of a wink/nod to the original series.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:15 AM   #1861
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/14/ex-t...t-mueller.html

The charging document, while accusing him of just two criminal counts, appears to be designed to resolve not only the entire case in Washington, but another federal criminal prosecution in Virginia, where Manafort was convicted of eight counts last month.

That new document alleges Manafort engaged in a conspiracy involving money laundering, tax fraud, failing to report foreign bank accounts, violating rules requiring registration of foreign agents, lying and witness tampering.

col·lu·sion
kəˈlo͞oZHən/Submit
noun
secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.

"no collusion"
Old 14th September 2018, 07:19 AM   #1862
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/14/ex-t...t-mueller.html

The charging document, while accusing him of just two criminal counts, appears to be designed to resolve not only the entire case in Washington, but another federal criminal prosecution in Virginia, where Manafort was convicted of eight counts last month.

That new document alleges Manafort engaged in a conspiracy involving money laundering, tax fraud, failing to report foreign bank accounts, violating rules requiring registration of foreign agents, lying and witness tampering.

col·lu·sion
kəˈlo͞oZHən/Submit
noun
secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.

"no collusion"
Unfortunately, nothing I see here indicates that the conspiracy has to with Trump + Russia. I assume it has to do with Manafort's past dealings.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:20 AM   #1863
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Also in the "there's a tweet for everything" category:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...56443985084417

I feel very badly for Paul Manafort and his wonderful family. “Justice” took a 12 year old tax case, among other things, applied tremendous pressure on him and, unlike Michael Cohen, he refused to “break” - make up stories in order to get a “deal.” Such respect for a brave man!

So brave. Very wow. Much bigly.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:54 AM   #1864
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Now, now, that tweet was three weeks ago. Much covfefe has passed since then.
Old 14th September 2018, 08:09 AM   #1865
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, The PDJT is going to need a job after this one.
Old 14th September 2018, 08:23 AM   #1866
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Manafort will plead guilty to one count of conspiracy against the US and one count of conspiracy to obstruct justice due to attempts to tamper with witnesses, according to a court filing Friday.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/14/polit...lea/index.html

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 08:25 AM   #1867
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Well, The PDJT is going to need a job after this one.
Won't he have a job making license plates? Breaking rocks in a prison camp in the deep south?

We can hope at least. Probably be the first productive work he's ever done in his life.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 08:42 AM   #1868
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

But what can Manaford give Mueller, except a bunch of former-Soviet oligarchs?
Old 14th September 2018, 08:46 AM   #1869
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's closest adviser says he will fire Mueller after the hurricane.

Linky.
I'm puzzled why he would do it after the hurricane. Doing it during the storm would reduce the amount of coverage it gets on Fake News. Today is Friday, of course, so maybe we'll see it today.
Old 14th September 2018, 08:57 AM   #1870
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I so hope you are right
I hope for the truth, whatever it may be.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 08:59 AM   #1871
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Now, now, that tweet was three weeks ago. Much covfefe has passed since then.
I believe the expression is "That's just anomyous under the covfefe"
Old 14th September 2018, 09:00 AM   #1872
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Well, Manafort was at the Trump tower meeting, so he could give both a better accounting of what was discussed there and whether Trump was either physically at the meeting or was listening on speakerphone. He may also be aware of information given to Trump about the Russian activities (if he was part of any briefings).

Given his history with Trump, he may also be able to point to other financial crimes Trump has engaged in pre-election. And if he doesn't have information on Trump, he may still have information on Stone.

This is of course assuming the plea deal involves an agreement to fully cooperate with the investigation, and isn't just a "Save the cost of an expensive trial" type agreement.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 09:10 AM   #1873
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Ken "Popehat" White tweets about the Manafort plea deal.

The TLDR: He's never seen one like this.
Old 14th September 2018, 09:15 AM   #1874
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

I'd sort of assumed that Mueller & co put so much stuff into the document so that it would all be in the public record if Trump shut down the investigation.
Old 14th September 2018, 09:15 AM   #1875
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
From the CNN link above:
Quote:
Kilimnik is charged as a co-defendant in Manafort's DC criminal case, for the witness tampering accusation. In previous court filings, prosecutors allege he had ties to the Russian GRU, a military intelligence agency. Kilimnik has not appeared in court, though Manafort's plea Friday admits that he committed his crimes in conspiracy with both Gates and Kilimnik.
Heavy: Five Fast Facts about Kilimnik
Quote:
1. The Meetings In Question Reportedly Took Place During the Campaign

... In an interview February 22, Kilimnik said that he and Manafort would meet “every couple months” during the election, but denied the meetings having anything to do with Russia. Instead, he said that he was briefing Manafort on matters in Ukraine.

One of the meetings in question took place during an April 2016 trip to the U.S. by Kilimnik. During one of the conversations they had a year ago, one of the subjects was the hacking of the emails of the Democratic National Committee, POLITICO’s story wrote. But Manafort had said it was unknown at the time which nation was behind the act.
Old 14th September 2018, 09:24 AM   #1876
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
I'd sort of assumed that Mueller & co put so much stuff into the document so that it would all be in the public record if Trump shut down the investigation.
Oh, I am willing to bet that Mueller has a backup plan in the event of his firing.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 09:27 AM   #1877
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

But more importantly:

https://twitter.com/hsu_spencer/stat...22491029438464
Prosecutor Andrew Weissmann states that plea deal includes 17 page cooperation agreement

I think trump is getting mana-something-that-the-auto-filter-did-not-catch

ETA: wapo link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.6d3b2af4f1a3

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 14th September 2018 at 09:35 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 09:42 AM   #1878
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

It's a shame to see a good man brought down by a "conspiracy involving money laundering" trap, "tax fraud" trap, "failing to report foreign bank accounts" trap, "violating rules requiring registration of foreign agents" trap, and "witness tampering" trap set by the dastardly FBI.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 09:43 AM   #1879
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
I just skimmed the Superceding Criminal Information and there's little to no information there which involves the campaign or Trump. Lots of lobbying on behalf of Ukraine but most of it was before the campaign. Tons of money laundering and tax evasion. Some phone calls where D1 and D2 are mentioned, Manafort setting up communication with said individuals directly. That might be call to Trump but there's not a whole lot there except connecting the calls.
Old 14th September 2018, 09:48 AM   #1880
plague311
Great minds think...

I think with everything we've seen so far it's an accurate description to say we haven't seen anything tied to Trump specifically with regards to Russian Collusion. This makes me wonder if, even if they find a ton of financial\white collar crimes, would the GOP even do anything? I truly believe they'd say, "Well, it wasn't about Russia or the election. We won't impeach over something he never did as president\candidate."

Which saddens me. Mueller almost has to find Trump saying to a room full of people, "Thank God for those Russians helping me get elected" on the election night in order for anyone on the right to even acknowledge wrongdoing.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics