ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 26th September 2018, 12:59 AM   #201
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
What causes you to think that that will make any difference? Ozian exceptionalism?
It is simple mathematics. What do you think is better? Giving oodles of money to a handful of select private schools or spreading the subsidies on a per student basis to all private schools?
Old 26th September 2018, 02:01 AM   #202
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It is simple mathematics. What do you think is better? Giving oodles of money to a handful of select private schools or spreading the subsidies on a per student basis to all private schools?
The correct answer is neither.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 02:20 AM   #203
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
The correct answer is neither.
Welcome to this part of the forum. Please start from here so you know what you are talking about.
Old 26th September 2018, 08:32 AM   #204
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Welcome to this part of the forum. Please start from here so you know what you are talking about.

Also, physician, heal thyself.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 10:13 AM   #205
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Well, well, well. Mortison’s Bribe to the Catholic ecducation system is not working.

Quote:
Catholic school enrolments are projected to stagnate over the next decade as state schools squeeze more than 270,000 extra students into their classrooms.

While Catholic education chiefs say fee rises are to blame, others say confidence in the public school system is increasing and question whether the royal commission into child sex abuse has hurt confidence in the Catholic sector.

The Education Department projections, obtained under freedom-of-information laws by the Australian Education Union, forecast state school enrolments in Victoria will grow at almost 10 times the rate of those in the Catholic sector.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/vict...26-p5067m.html

The comment that fees are to blame is utter crap. It has been shown in this thread that record, in fact world leading, amounts of cash have been flowing into private schools for many years.

Quote:
Australian Education Union federal president Correna Haythorpe said the figures “made a mockery” of the $4.6 billion package for private schools unveiled by the Morrison government last week.
Indeed.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 05:16 PM   #206
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The problem, as it has been presented, is that we want to avoid a whole ton of private school students suddenly turning up to enrol in public schools which don't have the capacity to take them. That's the issue that kicked off the whole process of routinely funding religious schools in the first place (prior to that funding was provided as a series of one-off grants), and it goes back to the Whitlam government in 1973.
Old 26th September 2018, 05:18 PM   #207
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Damien is correct. The government should not be funding private schools with public funds. I mean it's right there in the name. Private funds for private schools. Public funds for public schools.
Old 26th September 2018, 05:21 PM   #208
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Meanwhile, the Board of the ABC is currently in a meeting, sans Chairman, to decide what to do about said Chairman, in response to allegations that he was allowing politicians to influence staffing and programming for the supposedly independent broadcaster.

Communications Minister Mitch Fifield said, when asked directly whether Justin Milne should keep his position, "Well, it’s a matter for every high office holder to continually assess whether they retain the capacity to effectively discharge the duties of their office."

Guardian Live: https://www.theguardian.com/media/li...d-inquiry-live
Old 26th September 2018, 06:43 PM   #209
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Justin Milne has resigned.
Old 26th September 2018, 07:16 PM   #210
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Justin Milne has resigned.
Wow. Morrison can’t do anything without stuffing it up

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 07:48 PM   #211
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Wow. Morrison can’t do anything without stuffing it up
Morrison has welcomed the resignation, saying that it is an opportunity for the ABC to return to unbiased and independent reporting.
Old 26th September 2018, 07:59 PM   #212
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Morrison has welcomed the resignation, saying that it is an opportunity for the ABC to return to unbiased and independent reporting.
******* hilarious. Does this clown know how many votes he will lose if he tries to heavy the ABC?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 26th September 2018, 08:06 PM   #213
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Sarah Hanson-Young is now calling on the entire board of the ABC to "consider their position".
Old 26th September 2018, 09:33 PM   #214
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Damien is correct. The government should not be funding private schools with public funds. I mean it's right there in the name. Private funds for private schools. Public funds for public schools.
Why repeat something that has just been argued to death? Is there anything that hasn't been said on this issue already?
Old 26th September 2018, 09:58 PM   #215
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Why repeat something that has just been argued to death? Is there anything that hasn't been said on this issue already?
Notice that I've already moved on.
Old 26th September 2018, 10:19 PM   #216
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Notice that I've already moved on.
How is repeating something an example of "moving on"?
Old 26th September 2018, 10:21 PM   #217
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

How is repeating something an example of "moving on"?
The fact that I've made four posts subsequent to that, all addressing other topics, indicates that I've moved on.
Old 26th September 2018, 10:37 PM   #218
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The fact that I've made four posts subsequent to that, all addressing other topics, indicates that I've moved on.
Except that you stopped moving on to say that you have moved on - twice. (Cue third time )
Old 26th September 2018, 10:58 PM   #219
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Except that you stopped moving on to say that you have moved on - twice. (Cue third time )
Speaking of stuffing things up, our new Assistant Treasurer has mixed up the debt with the deficit on live TV. Shortly after being caught taking a selfie.

Let me take a selfie: Assistant Treasurer mixes up debt and deficit figures live on TV
Old 27th September 2018, 10:48 PM   #220
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Catherine Deveny to run in Victorian election as Reason Party candidate for Brunswick

Quote:
Comedian and writer Catherine Deveny is making a tilt for the Victorian Parliament, running for Fiona Patten's Reason Party in the seat of Brunswick at the November state election.

Deveny, a stand-up comedian who has penned eight books and written extensively for television, has been a polarising figure, attracting criticism earlier this year for calling Anzac Day "bogan Halloween" on Twitter.
Old 28th September 2018, 07:29 PM   #221
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It would be nice if the entire board of right-wing toadies stepped down from the ABC, but I don't think we'll get to see that.

The Guardian had an interesting article about how these people were appointed by the Government despite having failed to get through a merit-based process.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...it-based-panel
Old 30th September 2018, 07:55 PM   #222
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
It would be nice if the entire board of right-wing toadies stepped down from the ABC, but I don't think we'll get to see that.

The Guardian had an interesting article about how these people were appointed by the Government despite having failed to get through a merit-based process.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...it-based-panel
The Guardian had another rather good piece on this.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...dience-penguin
Old 3rd October 2018, 04:26 PM   #223
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Troglodytes rule. Craig Kelly, denier:

Quote:
Craig Kelly, a prominent Liberal Party backbencher, has told party members in Sydney they should not worry about climate change and that fossil fuels were among the reasons "we are so safe".

Addressing a gathering of members last week at the Middle Harbour Yacht Club, Mr Kelly said "we've always had dangerous weather" and that "even the climate has changed in space".

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd October 2018, 08:14 PM   #224
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Space doesn't have...

Old 4th October 2018, 03:05 PM   #225
Thor 2
Illuminator

Troglodytes rule. Craig Kelly, denier:

Ah yes Craig Kelly, typical climate change denying flat earther. Completely out of touch with his electorate:

Quote:
Kelly has stated his support for a plebiscite into same-sex marriage, and predicted the majority would vote against it.
No openly religious affiliation however so we must give him a small tick for that. It scares the bejesus out of me when we have people in power like Morrison, who must think all is well because God has his hands on the helm.
Old 4th October 2018, 06:04 PM   #226
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Anyone running a sweep on whether we have a March or a May election? I'm betting on March, because we won't be coming off a sitting period.
Old 5th October 2018, 01:08 AM   #227
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Anyone running a sweep on whether we have a March or a May election? I'm betting on March, because we won't be coming off a sitting period.
I will give ScoMo some credit and go for a May election. The longer he can keep his nose clean and disunity within the party in the past, the better it will be for him in the polls (everybody still hates Bill Shorten).

If disunity problems resurface then an early election won't help. If ScoMo calls an early election in an attempt to get it out of the way before disunity re-erupts then he will suffer an electoral backlash.

Possibly the Libs might lose Wentworth at the byelection and subsequently the House passes a no confidence motion which forces an early election. I don't know if that would help ScoMo or hurt him but I don't see this as a likely scenario anyway.
Old 5th October 2018, 02:24 PM   #228
Thor 2
Illuminator

I think Morrison, as a god bot, would be worried about "The Ides of March" thingy and go for May.
Old 8th October 2018, 04:37 PM   #229
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I think Morrison, as a god bot, would be worried about "The Ides of March" thingy and go for May.
It would give him more time to try and pull the party out of the toilet, but at the same time they've been doing pretty badly in Parliament, so he's likely to take a hit there.

Regardless, I think the damage has been done.
Old 8th October 2018, 05:05 PM   #230
Thor 2
Illuminator

It would give him more time to try and pull the party out of the toilet, but at the same time they've been doing pretty badly in Parliament, so he's likely to take a hit there.

Regardless, I think the damage has been done.

I assume you are not numbered amongst those celebrating the baptism of Bill Haden. I guess it is newsworthy given that not many atheists revert to theism as the trend is strong the other way. Given that the guy is well into his eighties and probably lost his marbles I suppose it's not so surprising.
Old 8th October 2018, 05:51 PM   #231
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

I will give ScoMo some credit and go for a May election. The longer he can keep his nose clean and disunity within the party in the past, the better it will be for him in the polls (everybody still hates Bill Shorten).

If disunity problems resurface then an early election won't help. If ScoMo calls an early election in an attempt to get it out of the way before disunity re-erupts then he will suffer an electoral backlash.

Possibly the Libs might lose Wentworth at the byelection and subsequently the House passes a no confidence motion which forces an early election. I don't know if that would help ScoMo or hurt him but I don't see this as a likely scenario anyway.
Pretty much as I see it going too. ScoMo is going to drag this out to the last minute in order to get as many electoral brownie points as possible.

But it will be PM Bill Shorten next year.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 06:04 PM   #232
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Pretty much as I see it going too. ScoMo is going to drag this out to the last minute in order to get as many electoral brownie points as possible.

But it will be PM Bill Shorten next year.
If Shorten has the numbers a snap election is not required to my knowledge. He can be given commission by the GG and serve out the term as PM until May. I’m not sure what would be better for him.

Anyway, I think the Libs will retain Wentworth on preferences.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 8th October 2018, 06:09 PM   #233
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

If Shorten has the numbers a snap election is not required to my knowledge. He can be given commission by the GG and serve out the term as PM until May. I’m not sure what would be better for him.
I suspect not. He wants ScoMo to hang himself with his own rope. Bill knows full well he's not flavour-of-the-month as PM. So better to get the country to back him in at a general election so he has a couple of years to settle into place.

Quote:
Anyway, I think the Libs will retain Wentworth on preferences.
Agreed. Although given the nastiness shown to Phelps by some Lib hacks, even after she announced her preferences would go to them, if her preference gets changed to Labor then the LNP are in deep doo-doo in the Eastern Suburbs.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2018, 06:16 PM   #234
Thor 2
Illuminator

Well this is most disturbing:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-1...hools/10358790

Quote:
The process for religious schools to turn away gay students would be made consistent across the country, if a proposal from the yet-to-be-released Ruddock review into religious protections is adopted by the Federal Government.

No prizes for guessing which way Morrison will jump on this one. We know where he stands on the gay marriage question.
Old 10th October 2018, 04:02 AM   #235
Wildy
Adelaidean

(everybody still hates Bill Shorten)
Nobody liked Abbott and he still managed to become PM. Then again I don't know if everyone actually hates Shorten, he's just very generic.
Old 10th October 2018, 05:13 AM   #236
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Nobody liked Abbott and he still managed to become PM. Then again I don't know if everyone actually hates Shorten, he's just very generic.
The Mad Monk got to be PM because when they held the LNP meeting to pick a PM, they put the contenders in a barrel and shook it. The densest one by far sank to the bottom and the LNP always try to scrape the bottom of the barrel first for leaders.

Bill S is a very pleasant sort of chap, but as First Dog portrays him, he's so average that he is sort of invisible.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 10th October 2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:25 PM   #237
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

He was a really good opposition leader. The problem was that he could not translate those skills into being a good PM.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:32 PM   #238
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
He was a really good opposition leader. The problem was that he could not translate those skills into being a good PM.
He wasn't a good Opposition leader at all. He was just a stupid, loud attack dog. There was no logic or policy behind any of his outbursts, just rancid barking.

He got to be PM solely because Labor managed to shoot themselves comprehensively in both feet, both legs and the head twice while in office. Abbott just provided the backdrop noise for this farago.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:10 AM   #239
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Nobody liked Abbott and he still managed to become PM.
Krudd or Rabbit? It was a real hobson's choice at the time.

Then again I don't know if everyone actually hates Shorten, he's just very generic.
Although the polls consistently put Labor in front of the LNP, Shorten is always less preferred as PM than whoever the current LNP member who is sitting in the PM's chair. Labor would actually get a significant poll boost if Shorten were dumped.

I'm not convinced that Shorten deserves this rating but that's politics.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:27 AM   #240
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Preferred PM and preferred party have hardly ever been in synch.

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics